[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RPi as a public stealth torrent box
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Raspberry_Pi_-_Model_A.jpg (223 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_-_Model_A.jpg
223 KB, 600x600
Is this possible?

Buy Rasp pi

Buy large sd card

Set it up for torrents

Hide it somewhere with free public wifi for said torrents

Hotswap every few weeks with another rpi set up the same, then retrieve files etc

I'm thinking about hiding it somewhere in the ceiling of the disabled loos in a local mall. There is a wifi signal there. Plus, I can take my time doing the memory card swaps and I'l just make sure to bring a set of crutches and hobble in/out.

Anyone do something like this before?
>>
>>55635140
why would you even bother doing that
>>
Yes, it is possible? I'm wondering why you would ever want to do that though, especially on the RPi's low throughput.
>>
Public wifi signals are usually slow as fuck, drop your connection every 30 minutes, and have torrenting blocked.
>>
Why would you do this? You could just rent a seedbox which would be lot easier. Only reason I could see someone even trying this is if they can't torrent at home or have a really slow connection which makes downloading stuff from a seedbox a burden.
>>
>>55635255
>ask why someone would do it
>give pretty much the exact reason why
Welp
>>
>>55635140
How about the power needed for the pi?
>>
The only problem is how you gonna power it.
>>
>>55635266
Well fair enough. You must really have a slow connection to make this worth it though, since you could just download stuff overnight.
>>
>>55635326
Maybe he just has a very low datacap
>>
How are you going to power it?
Also, you could just SSH into it and do anything nefarious that you like with impunity, provided that they don't find the pi. Then you're fucked.
Also why would you swap it with a whole new pi every time?
>>
>>55635304
>>55635314
Should have mentioned this. The toilets I earmarked have a socket near the ceiling used for something (not followed the cable through the ceiling tiles yet, will do next time i'm there). Plan is to get a 2 plug splitter and then run them both off of that, and stash the splitter in the ceiling tiles of course.
>>
>>55635140
Why the fuck would i hide while torrenting? Ainht nobody gives a shit
>>
you dont need to change the whole pi, just change the sdcard
>>
I found an RPi .img for Openmediavault. It has a few plugins for torrent clients but I could never seem to get them working so instead, I just use their remote desktop plugin (which does work) and run Deluge from there. http://www.openmediavault.org/
>>
>>55635140
I do pretty much the same with a galaxy mega and an SD card. Hide it in the park for a day, go get it, offload finished torrents, start some more, hide again. Works pretty well for me...
>>
>>55636547
If you get free power it would be perfect but someone can find it and stole it
>>
>>55636547
problem is one they would steal, the other they would call the bomb squad on
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.