[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GeForce 1080
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 654240.png (3 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
654240.png
3 MB, 1600x1200
Why are there so many diffrent 1080 cards? There are founders edition, strix, MSI and all that. What is the diffrence between them?

Pic not related
>>
>>55559480
Different coolers and PCBs.
>>
>>55559580
How do I know what card I want then? Thinking mostly of PCBs
>>
>>55560129
>How do I know what card I want then

By thinking things and making decisions.
>>
>>55559480
It's called capitalism, my friend. Whoever builds the best piece for the lowest price is going to sell more, forcing the competitors to reach higher standards of quality, but trying to keep the price low and "aggressive", to say so.
>>
>>55560341
More like an oligapoly where both competitors raise prices and slow development in order to maximize profit since consumers have no alternatives anyway.
>>
The only stupid thing is that there are multiple reference editions by multiple brands, even though they're all exactly the same.
Though with a card like the 1080 you could argue that selling a reference edition is bullshit in the first place.
>>
File: 35120723.gif (3 MB, 319x239) Image search: [Google]
35120723.gif
3 MB, 319x239
>>55559480
First you have to choose between these 2 options:
>gaymen 1080p 60fps all day for 200$ (ye olde "poorfag")
>gaymen for 300% cost and +15-30% noticeable improvement over the first option (ye olde "retard who hates money")

After you decide, go back to /v/.
>>
>>55559480
they are all shit
>>
>>55561166
Nice digits poorfag
>>
>>55560750
GPUs are a nice market compared to many others so it's to be expected (although it could be better)
>>
>>55560129
the more expensive custom PCBs simply have more power inputs, custom capacitors, custom and/or added power phases etc. to allow for higher clockspeeds. in my opinion they are almost never worth it because performance gains are usually 10% or lower but costs can go up 100+ dollars. in the end the actual GPU and memory chips stay the same so you can't expect to get much more performance simply by increasing the clock frequency.

i always get the one that has a custom cooler with a basic custom PCB where there's only a few changes such as custom capacitors, but no extra power inputs or fuckton of phases. price is usually around 50 bucks more, but worth it because you still get 5% more performance and a custom cooler that is much better and quieter.

a higher-end custom PCB would be something like the EVGA Classified series, which adds more power phases, more power inputs, dual BIOS etc. the highest end would be something like the KINGPIN cards but those are hard to get because they're custom made and VERY expensive (total waste of money).
>>
>>55561473
>>>/v/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.