[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern functional languages with big demand.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: New-Career.jpg (60 KB, 350x447) Image search: [Google]
New-Career.jpg
60 KB, 350x447
Hey /g, I'm about to early retire from my current job because of an injury that occurred while working.

Prior to taking this job many years ago I was a programmer in MS.Dos and I worked in Clipper and Modula 2.

I'm considering re-entering a programming career because it was fun and the money was good.

What are some new languages that carry the procedural method torch?

I never got in to OOP, but I dabbled in Java and C++ to make some simple android and ios applications. (Sound/fart box program, and a camera application that runs silent/stealth. Both programs were for playing practical jokes on my co-workers, and I wont be listing them on Resume.)
>>
>>55554043
Your topic says "functional", your body says "procedural". These are two completely different paradigms.

Also, "money was good" in MS DOS times. Today the rates get lower every year because of Indians you'll need to compete with.

Also, if you're an older dude, be aware there's *enormous* ageism in this industry.
>>
>mediocre old programmer who doesn't know OOP
don't even bother
>>
File: r_86803_9tbb7.jpg (29 KB, 513x531) Image search: [Google]
r_86803_9tbb7.jpg
29 KB, 513x531
Pic related. See replied post for a demand pic
>>
>>55554399
>java script
>java query
>assemply
>delphi
>>
>>55554399
SQL is necessary for almost every programming job since everything is online now. Real easy to learn.

Java is the preferred language for most application developments.

JS is the only language for web page design and implementation. (HTML is just the front end, JS is the back end)
>>
>>55554399
>JAVA QUERY
>>
>>55554415
Don't make me suck your dick desu senpai
>>
>>55554415
>java script
>java query
>assemply
>delphi
The first 3 are misspelled. But what's wrong with delphi, besides it's being dead?
>>
>>55554472
Being dead.
>>
>>55554314
Ageism is a thing that could potentially put up road blocks. And I know that I do like to go home at the end of the day.

The money back then was good because I got a cut of the sales, and every time we ported existing data to our database I got an extra chunk of change.
>>
>>55554330

I've got to try. I cant just sit around collecting my pension. I've got to do something to keep busy, and keep my mind sharp. Plus my children are entering school soon and tuition cost money.
>>
>>55554639
I think you will need at least some sort of certification or degree to be taken on as any sort of programmer. You would need to sell yourself based on experience and wisdom etc but don't let them think you are light hearted about it.

That being said you should just go full stack. That is where most jobs are listed and it is relatively easy to learn.
>>
>>55554423
>>55554399

gonna have to lean up on sql. Maybe raise a sql server.
>>
>>55554399
This must be at least 20 years old. Go fuck yourself with this outdated garbage.
>>
>>55554043
Either get into OOP or give up. Most business application programming is done with OOP languages like C# (.NET) or whatever flavor-of-the-moment shit is currently popular. And with the cloud being THE thing nowadays, webdevelopment is where it's at.
If you actually know Java you could also look for one of those jobs where they basically need some faggot that knows Java 6 or some shit to maintain a bunch of programs that they can't bother replacing or porting. These also usually pay well because they don't expect everyone to know shit from the early 2000s.
>>
>>55554683

I've got a bs in comp sci, and after programming I was a net admin. Don't want to do Admin stuff again, but I think knowledge of networks helps round me out.
>>
>>55554043
Rust in general or ocaml for financial.
>>
File: 1449870025322.png (706 KB, 882x720) Image search: [Google]
1449870025322.png
706 KB, 882x720
>>55554683
>I think you will need at least some sort of certification or degree to be taken on as any sort of programmer.
Not true. Certs may make it easier to get a job, but you don't need them.

>>55554765
But if you got em, they definitely don't hurt. My suggestion for both learning and getting a job is getting involved in the community. If there are meetups or Linux users groups in your area, go to those. It will expose you to a lot of good ideas, and it will let you make the connections that will get you jobs.

As for choosing a language, the best languages to start with are the ones that have a lot of online learning resources and helpful communities. Go to codecademy or something similar and work your way through some of the basic language courses there. Find one you like, and get good with it. Codecademy isn't going to take you all the way to where you need to be, but it will get you started with syntax. After that, focus on building things (stupid things are fine; you still learn from them) and getting involved in that language's community. If you end up deciding you hate whatever language you choose, switching after learning one really well is a lot easier than switching after barely learning a few.
>>
>>55554745
Never liked OOP. SO convoluted to make a class and object for some simple task. Java is that way also: bloated.

I might settle on C since it has staying power.

>>55554787
Was looking at Rust yesterday. I don't know how its going to be accepted in the industry.
>>
>>55554043
check out the udacity courses, they have these "nanodegrees" but all they teach is avaiable for free, you need to pay if you want a cert+feedback tho
>>
>>55554787
ocaml. Going to poke around that see what gives. You say there is a demand for this in fin?
>>
>>55554043
Clojure (Lisp dialect) is growing significantly. Elixir and Erlang are also in large use.
>>
>>55554847
Good advice about the meet ups. This site is also good, as is the stackoverload page.
>>
>>55554889
Yes, ocaml and haskell are both pretty big in finance, with ocaml being a bit more popular for the time being. As I recall, jane street uses ocaml exclusively for example.
>>
>>55554858
>I don't know how its going to be accepted in the industry.
Speed of C, power of haskell, safety of managed languages, latency of unmanaged languages, standard library of python, kernel size of ASM.
>>
>>55554423
lol if you don't learn java you are literally poor.
>>
>>55554043
functional languages are dead

the future is methodical programming
>>
>>55554868
udacity site is pretty nice. Lots of mixed courses. Some good advice in this thread.
>>
>>55554399
0/10
>>
>>55554043
>Modern functional languages
>nothing about functional languages
>>
>>55554900
I took a lisp course in college. Hated the syntax. I cant believe lisp is still viable. I also cant believe that emacs is based on lisp.
>>
>>55555025
>Hated the syntax
It's the simplest and most constant syntax in the world.
>>
Thanks to everyone who replied. There is a lot of good information here.

I'm going to take a year off from pursuing work while I go to physical therapy and use that time to learn a new language.
>>
>>55555237
One last question. What about COBOL? Is Cobol dead?
>>
>>55555280
It was dead 20 years ago. Take a guess, retard.
>>
>>55555280

It's not dead.

In Bank industry you still have a lot of legacy code and even new code..

>>55554043

Don't get carried away with the "procedural vs. OOP" stuff..

The real difference is "functional vs. non functional", but for the rest..

Just learn:
C or Java for jobs
Python or Perl or Ruby of fast scripting (here's the most fun)
Some functional langauge for "muh skills"

With some dedication you will find a job.
>>
>>55555025
Lisp is not viable. The only reason people mention Lisp is to waste competitors' time on something useless.

Everything that uses Lisp fails. Viaweb (that web site Paul Graham likes to brag about) and Reddit were written in Lisp, but rewritten in other languages because Lisp was too hard to maintain and couldn't handle the load from all the users.

They say it's because developers are "too stupid" to maintain Lisp code, but when you rewrite a program from your language to Python and it becomes faster, your language is garbage.

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
>Over at reddit.com, we rewrote the site from Lisp to Python in the past week. It was pretty much done in one weekend. (Disclosure: We used my web.py library.) The others knew Lisp (they wrote their whole site in it) and they knew Python (they rewrote their whole site in it) and yet they decided liked Python better for this project. The Python version had less code that ran faster and was far easier to read and maintain.

>Another figured something else must be going on: “Could this be…a lie? To throw off competition? It’s not as though Paul Graham hasn’t hinted at this tactic in his essays…”
Paul Graham talks about Lisp to throw off competition.
>>
>>55556109
>a language where the implementation is faster than mono, even close to C speed in some cases, which is orders of magnitude faster than python, is slower than python
OK shill.
>>
>>55556109
>>55556284

There is no "one language fits all" langauge, not lisp, not perl and not c.

You always have to look at the problem at hand, what are the libraries, the codebase, the knowledge and experience of the coders with this language..
>>
>>55556737
Rust. Checkmate retard.
>>
>>55556752

Damn, Rust looks neat.

Like.. a mixture of Ruby and Java.

(0..n+1).fold(0, |sum, i| sum + i)
>>
>>55556882

Just as comparison, the same code in Ruby:

(0..n+1).inject(0) { |sum, i| sum +=i}

But I like that Rust is immutable by default (if you not use "let") and that you can give use types ("i32").

Interesting, I hope it gets more popular..
>>
>>55556948
It's immutable with let, it's only mutable with let mut when passing the object, or with let mut AND &mut when passing a reference.

Rust's best feature is the borrow-checker, though, especially combined with the wealth of ml-style features in the language.
>>
>>55556109
Lisp is viable, but it is unpopular.

You obviously don't want to abuse its language features when making something, but the language itself is actually really nice when you get a team of Lisp hackers on something.

I think my favorite thing to do is attach a bunch of separate users' REPLs to the same Lisp process and build things that way. It's such a fast way of building something, and it's actually really fun!
>>
>>55558132
Sounds like trying to write Shakespeare with monkeys.
>>
>>55558178
If those monkeys are good at Lisp, then yes.

Actually, it's more like how you can have multiple people edit the same Google Document, except with code. Generally, you all kinda build things separate from each other, but you also know instantly when things you write cause a problem, and you can revert things really easily.
>>
>>55557071

>let x
>let y
>let let let

Ugh, all those "let" statement looks damn ugly..

Why not just:

u32: x;
u32: y = 20;
mut u32: z;

Would be cleaner.
>>
>>55560014
One forces you to select the time. The other doesn't.
>waaaaaah why isn't this like java where I have to write public static noinline blue red rainbowcolor catdog MagicTypeFactoryBeanFactoryFactory = new MagicTypeFactoryBeanFactoryFactory(dicks, cunts, faggots, salt);
>>
>>55560014
because you have to give those variables permission to exist, don't be rude
>>
>>55560086
type*
>>
>>55554314
>>55554611
>enormous ageism

Wait is this true?
>>
>>55555605
This is good advice.
I didn't think Cobol was dead because IBM lists Cobol in their z systems training programs.

Cobol is still used by my employer too.
>>
OP here. I think I might pick up cobol and C.
Cobol has that comfy BEGIN/END thing. C has the {}.

I think I should create two versions of any application I create one in Cobol and one in C for the resume. Like I said I'll be laying low while doing physical therapy and collecting pension. Spend more time with family while going to school/ or cert classes.

Thanks for all who helped with this information.
>>
>>55560014
OP here. I was looking earlier for some of the code I wrote in 1990 for lisp. I could not find it I think because I tossed it.

.Fond memories that that popped off the stack like pop tarts from a toaster oven.
>>
>>55560457
Yes. It's especially bad in SV (google: "silicon valle ageism") but not much better everywhere else. There are 40+ guys (which isn't even old by other professions' standards) that can write assembly with their dicks tbut have trouble finding job because they "don't fit the corporate culture" (ie.: aren't gullible young faggots that are easily impressed with free coke in the workplace and don't have families to get back to at 5 PM).
>>
>>55562405
Haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thanks mate. You're a real joker.
>>
>>55562477
>aren't gullible young faggots impressed with free coke

Gullible young faggot in a meme startup here. He's not kidding, they want young, cheap, enthusiastic labour that'll trade good salaries for fun (cheap) perks like pizza and beer, and who will get embedded enough in the social life of the company that the social cost of leaving will keep them there (i.e. You have no friends if you leave, you'd be nuking your social circle)

I learned my base skillset here, but motherfucker I worked hard for it. Corporate, suit-wearing life sounds amazing right about now, 9 to 5 and decent money instead of memes.
>>
File: 39942.jpg (39 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
39942.jpg
39 KB, 1024x575
>>55560457
Yeah.

Overproduction of young engineers and HR whores are to blame.
>>
>>55562477
Working at a stock exchange. All the senior devs are a lot older than me. You probably find ageism mostly in startups and the like, but not at established companies.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.