[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think it is necessary to learn anything lower-level than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1467949548966.jpg (27 KB, 480x519) Image search: [Google]
1467949548966.jpg
27 KB, 480x519
Do you think it is necessary to learn anything lower-level than C to be a "Well-rounded" programmer? Should everyone be expected to know Assembly?
>>
>>55529164
If you're not writing compilers or drivers, you could get away with not learning assembler, but you really to apply C development methodology in your projects if your want any semblance of performance.
>>
It would give you a deeper understanding of computers and programming. You don't need to be a pro at assembly but at least learn it enough to write a simple program, even if you would never actually use it.
>>
>>55529164
Moot was a cuck, I'm glad he's gone
>>
>>55529319
Who?
>>
If you're trying to be a proficient C developer, then some assembly is required. If you're planning on working in higher level languages, it's probably ok to learn basic C and skip assembly.
>>
Yes. If I were working with a programmer that didn't have any experience with Assembly at all, I would not trust his opinions on anything involving compilation. Knowing what your human readable code turns into gives you a much clearer idea of what truly efficient and functional code looks like. They don't need to be able to rewrite tons of stuff in it, but they should at least know what they're looking at if shown some. It also makes debugging tons easier if you're able to drill down to that level on your own.
>>
>>55529350
>what is google
creator of 4chan
>>
>>55529445
>If I were working with a programmer that didn't have any experience with Assembly at all, I would not trust his opinions on anything involving compilation.

Okay? And a well-rounded programmer needs to have strong opinions on compilation?

I'm not convinced someone needs to know Assembly or C today to be considered a 'well-rounded programmer'. Java along with some trivial languages like SQL and HTML could get you a great paying job and you could be in easily be in the 99th percentile of living programmers if you truly mastered it.
>>
How do I start learning C?
>>
>>55529546
How new are you?
>>
>>55529631
TROLED
>>
>>55529811

DOUBLE TROLLED
>>
>>55529594
is this bait
>>
C is a faggot language, real programmers use assembly. At my job every production code is written on assembly language.
>>
>>55529603
Obtain "C Programming: A Modern Approach" and read through the whole thing, and from there you can start your own projects and/or move on to more difficult books.
>>
Because of the prevalence of Java, JavaScript, Python, Haskell, Lisp in universities, people think you need C to do "low level" programming.

Anything that lets you access data at specific memory addresses is fine.

Saying you need C to do systems programming (e.g. writing drivers or a garbage collector) is like saying you need JavaScript to have garbage collection.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.