[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mirroring computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1448824101217.jpg (117 KB, 870x409) Image search: [Google]
1448824101217.jpg
117 KB, 870x409
Hey /g/,

is it possible to install the same OS on two computers and keep them synced when needed (meaning that when I'm done working on Computer 1, I use some script that does the work to update Computer 2, no need to check every second, especially since both computers would not be connected to each other every time).
I've thought of two things, like using an external disk (at the cost of speed/limited number of writes, having to travel with again another peripheral...), or copy-pasting manually (at the cost of time, and it would only sync the important documents, not the whole system), but neither looks very good.

My questions then: is it possible, and if so, what's the best method to do it that would require next to no effort? Would rsync be good for that, and would Computer 2 work exactly like Computer 1 if I rsync'd from 1 to 2, including programs and all that? For the sake of simplicity, I intend to use whatever linux distro, and of course the same one across the two (and maybe more?) computers.

tl;dr want to have two mirrored computers, how do?
Any help would be appreciated.
Pic not related but still technology.
>>
There are probably better solutions to your issue.

Why wouldn't you just sync your working folder? Why do you need an entire OS cloned?
>>
This sounds like a world of hurt.

Sync your documents, or just have a server that is always on and remote to it from computer 1 and 2 instead.
>>
>>55492716
Network file system would be better load user profile and programs from a server.
>>
Use a server with thin clients
>>
>>55492750
>>55492761
I don't know, it seemed better to me since I'm quite new to Linux, like that if I download and configure tons of shit on one OS I won't have to redo it again next time I change computers, but eh, maybe you're right.

And >>55492836, I'd like to be independent from Internet as much as possible. Let's say I might not have any connection for an extended period of time.

It seems strange now that not many people have a need for this. I get that most of the work would be done inside the home/, but still...
>>
Well in case anyone cares, it seems there a program called unison that I apparently overlooked, which does the work. rsync seems not to be recommended anyway since it's unidirectional (but I don't intend to make changes on the two computers at the same time anyway, still it's good to know).
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.