[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has technology really advanced in the last 50 years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 41
Imagine if a person from 1966 traveled to 2016. What could you show them to impress them with our technological advancement?

The internet is what comes to mind first for most people, however
>email
They had a variety of fast traveling messages back then whether it was the regular mail, intercompany memos sent by runners, vacuum tubes, or simply making a phone call
>youtube/netflix
Just turn on the TV
>spotify/itunes
Just turn on the radio
>video games
Are they really that impressive? What do they do to improve society?
>high resolution monitors
Same as above. They had 70mm film screenings back then too.
>GPS
They had maps.

Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress.

Houses are nearly identical to the way they were. Worse in many aspects. In general a lot of things are built with inferior quality to the past.

Medicine may be the area to look at. Advancements in the treatment of various debilitating illnesses have improved. We have things like Cochlear implants now that can let deaf people hear. But then again, the first of those was implanted in 1961 so it wouldn't necessarily be a revelation.

Search engines and deep learning AI may be impressive in the sense that one can ask nearly any reasonable question of google and get a useful response. But again, what can you really do with it you could not have done by visiting a library in the past? Did you know people used to actually call "information" lines for answers to questions like that? It's a few more steps, but the result is the same.
>>
this Nigga said runners and regular email are fast then downplayed the option lf watching/playing a wide variety of media choices at will. not only that, he implied maps can track, no, pinpoint someone's or something's location in real-time like a GPS. /g/ is becoming so retarded.
>>
If you don't consider GPS to be one of humanities's greatest achievements you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

3/10 bait made me reply
>>
File: Damadian_MRI[1].jpg (7 KB, 255x204) Image search: [Google]
Damadian_MRI[1].jpg
7 KB, 255x204
>>55462108
Ok, if you don't want to use a map then use TRANSIT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_(satellite)

And if you don't have access to that (like 99% of people) you can use a combination of radios and triangulation.

The idea is GPS doesn't solve a problem that couldn't be solved with 1966 technology.

MRI machines would be a technology that did not exist in a workable form in 1966.
>>
>>55462275
GPS is accessible to much more people, thus a better technology. Try again.
>>
Google, 4chan, your mom's pussy
>>
>>55462290
Accessibility doesn't count nearly as much as true innovation of humanity being able to do things it couldn't do before.
>>
>Teleporting is created
>"Worthless invention, you could just walk there 50 years ago"
>>
>>55462450
>literally OP

I guess he wants scientific technological progress? The problem with autists is they are never clear, and if they are the questions are so autistic they don't need to be said.

Technology has made progress mainly in safety, efficiency and effectiveness.
You could argue accuracy, but I think that might fit in the effectiveness category.
>>
>>55462008
>Imagine if a person from 1966 traveled to 2016. What could you show them to impress them with our technological advancement?
Probably the internet, GPS & telecommunications satellites, and our handheld supercomputer communications devices.
>>
>>55462008
You are incredibly delusional if you think technology hasn't progresses since 1966
>>
Hand them a smartphone. It would do everything they are used to using an appliance to do. See them act like the samurai in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III when they were exposed to modern culture i.e. get spoiled.
>>
You're stupid. COMPUTERS alone, as they are nowadays, would impress the fuck out of someone from 1966, as they in fact do to some of the older programmers today. Let alone literally all the stuff you listed.
>>
File: virtual-tours.jpg (2 MB, 6000x4000) Image search: [Google]
virtual-tours.jpg
2 MB, 6000x4000
>>55462008

Sort of, we have just optimised and shrunk what was available back then, this alone has opened up new applications.

Computer performance has started pissing me off as of late, I've got a 60mhz Pentium 1 laptop that can perform exactly the same daily productivity tasks as my modern quad core desktop and half of it is down to our software being unbelievably abstract and larger than it ought to be.

The Windows 95 desktop is just as responsive as the latest OS on an order of magnitude more processing power. And I still see shitty programs like Word struggle to load and render a 300 page document at the same speed it did 20 years ago.

I've had my fucking Commodore 64 browsing the web with the bare essentials on a 1Mhz CPU, and its loading pages barely any slower than a modern browser saddled with megabytes of javascript cancer.
>>
>>55462008
I'd hand them my now-dated phone. It would blow their mind.

>GPS, and all the things that use GPS.
>A high-resolution camera with better quality than the top-of-the-line cameras then.
>Connectivity to anywhere on the planet.
>Specs that are literally twenty million times more powerful than computers the size of rooms.
>You can point Google Translate at French, and it will replace the text on your screen in realtime with a translation.
>Natural language processing that is beyond the possibility of belief.
>The entirety of human knowledge is accessible in no time at all
>This wonder-device fits in your pocket.

Basically, everything about a smartphone would be unimaginable to them, much less its practical uses that we take for granted.
>>
>>55462545
This. Smartphones would impress the shit out of anyone from the past.
>>
Sure, modern technology doesn't do a lot of new things compared to 1966, but it makes those devices a lot more refined and accessible. In 1966 you needed a separate camera, address book, telephone, television, paper map, etc etc. Now a device that fits in your pocket does all of that much better and for much cheaper.
>>
>>55462530
It really hasn't. It's gotten cheaper and more available but it hasn't really changed. Example, Lcd HD tech was around since the early 70's but it cost $10,000 to produce 1 square inch. The "cloud" is nothing more than server tech that we had 40 years ago. If anything, that has gone backwards. The entire PC revolution was based on getting away from that and allowing users to store their own content in the home. Now we are back to Chromebooks.
>>
>>55462008
Smartphones, you idiot. You forgot the miniaturization of literally EVERY KNOWN FACT on earth into the palm of your hand.
>>
File: 8_bytes_vs._8Gbytes.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
8_bytes_vs._8Gbytes.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>55462008
"I can store every hit record on the billboard top 100 from 1956 to 1966 on something the size of a dime."
>>
Tell someone from 1966 that factories without workers exist/are in construction. They'll be blown away.
>>
If I could go back to 1966, I'd probably show them a Hatsune Miku concert just to get their hopes up about sexbots and robots.
>>
>>55462008
We can remotely control a robot driving on Mars and send images made by the camera all the way back to Earth.

Not very impressive. Could have just used a telescope.
>>
>>55462934
They'd probably just think every aspect of it is weird, from the music to the holograms to Miku's appearance.
>>
File: 000411.jpg (127 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
000411.jpg
127 KB, 600x480
>>55462934
>implying they wouldn't burn you at the stake for being a damn nip-lover.
>>
File: World-Poverty-Since-1820.png (316 KB, 3000x2139) Image search: [Google]
World-Poverty-Since-1820.png
316 KB, 3000x2139
As many people ITT pointed out, making technology cheaper and more accessible is a HUGE accomplishment. There's a lot of political and economic reasons behind pic related, but technology is a huge contributing factor to the drop in poverty as well. It makes it easier for third world entrepreneurs to buy the materials needed to start a business. Improvements in technology allow them to reach a larger customer base and search for talent in employees more easily. Everything has become so goddamn efficient since 1966 it's amazing.
>>
>>55462275
>hurp but you could use this tedious and roudabout way of accomplishing something that's comparable to what GPS does!
wow op i gues ur rite an abacus is the same thing as a calculator
>>
File: obvious.jpg (335 KB, 1621x871) Image search: [Google]
obvious.jpg
335 KB, 1621x871
>>
>>55462008
>what are smartphones

If you think the smartphone didn't completely change her man society then you are a fucking moron and/or underage and never experienced the world without smartphones/tablets/laptops
>>
>>55462507
Everyone you see pack in their pockets a supercomputer capable of instant worldwide data transmission, it can make calls pick pictures and record high definition video, not to mention you can use it to access pretty much every piece of information accessible to human race

But the people refuse to use it for a good cause, watching picture of cats falling down stairs ir pretty much everything the people do
>>
Planes wouldn't impress a man from the middle ages since they had horses and ships.
>>
>>55463058
How about a mechanical horse that can sail?
>>
Nuclear bombs wouldn't have impressed Napoleonic militaries, they already had cannons you know.
>>
>>55462008
>GPS
>They had maps.
3d maps generated from satellites isn't impressive?
>>
>>55463139
Nah. They could figure out where they are by using a sextant.
>>
>>55463029
Doubt it, I think OP is trying to get at the fact that we have all this great shit but happiness is still just around the corner, like that Louis C.K. bit.
Also the fact that every computer owner had a powerful machine in the IBM times, but today we have more specialized devices that kinda suck if you want to that extra step i.e. hard to program on a cell phone.
>>
Google Cardboard
>>
File: AS11-40-5875HRedit.jpg (2 MB, 2344x1828) Image search: [Google]
AS11-40-5875HRedit.jpg
2 MB, 2344x1828
Imagine if a person from 1966 traveled to 2016. What could you show them to impress them with our technological advancement?

The sad thing is the biggest achievement since 1966 would probably be the Moon landing.
>>
File: escape2.webm (950 KB, 960x480) Image search: [Google]
escape2.webm
950 KB, 960x480
>>55463041
>But the people refuse to use it for a good cause, watching picture of cats falling down stairs ir pretty much everything the people do
Pretty useful if you want to distract someone from the 60s who's never seen a stupid viral video playing on a smartphone.
>>
>>55462502
The secret to making a good OP is to ask a question you want to hear some answers for, and then answer it yourself while pretending to be an asshole and an idiot at the same time. But keep an element of truth to it so you have plausible deniability. That's how you get the most replies.
>>
>>55462008
Nothing
APL is still the most efficient language
>>
>>55463167
Because material things don't actually make you happy. It doesn't matter if I can look up all of humanity's knowledge on my phone, it'll never take away tfw no gf.
>>
>>55462597
Computers were around in 1966 and already doing some amazing things. What we're doing with them today isn't such a big leap as you're proclaiming.

I'm not sure when computers reached a point of diminishing returns in terms of usefulness. Sometime in the early to mid 80s perhaps. By that time there were powerful and relatively small workstations with full GUIs that could be used to do any kind of important work a person would want to do with them that a modern desktop computer would not do much better.

You could argue computers are available to the masses now, but does that matter? The people who needed and could use a computer to its fullest capabilities had access to them in the past.

The low hanging fruit has been picked.
>>
>>55463249
Internet is better than the moon landing.
>>
File: 451.jpg (59 KB, 228x344) Image search: [Google]
451.jpg
59 KB, 228x344
>>55462275
The vikings discovered america without any modern technology, thus it must all be shit and isn't really needed, right?
>>
>>55462507
What's this webm from
>>
Just show them a 4K OLED next to their shit tv box. Show them a 4tb HDD, 256gb microsd card.
>>
File: Pinker.jpg (45 KB, 555x299) Image search: [Google]
Pinker.jpg
45 KB, 555x299
>>55463249
I wouldn't show them anything technological at first. I'd tell them the cold war ended peacefully and the resulting economic and social development in the world because of it. To me, that's way more impressive than the technological advancements because of the cold war was still going on, 1/3 of the world would be denied access to all these wonderful advancements due to the iron curtain.
>>
>>55462779
>>A high-resolution camera with better quality than the top-of-the-line cameras then.

The best phone camera of today would not even come close to the best film camera of 1966.

If you used a more fair comparison the best phone camera of today would not compare to a medium format film camera of 1966 which could be carried around by a single person and used without a tripod.
>>
>>55463350
Are you retarded? The personal computer is one of the greatest and most influential inventions in human history. The PC literally changed our society. It doesn't matter if computers existed in certain professional settings in 1966 you fucking sperg, what's important is that when it reached the masses it literally changed the fucking world.
>>
>>55463391
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/

It's really good.
>>
>>55463365
Internet is cheap entertainment. Nothing about it is a technological marvel. The biggest thing about it would probably be access to things that didn't exist:
>Oh, you can get ACCURATE weather forecasts whenever you want?
Tomorrow's forecast was hit or miss back in the 80's. The ability to get a pretty decent 3 day and reasonable out to a week is a major advance.
The ability to chat online wouldn't impress someone from 1966. "Oh, so everybody doesn't have a Star Trek viewscreen?"
Yeah, you could set up a Skype, but you have no one who would want to Skype with you. Try explaining your neckbeard life to someone from 1966.
>>
>>55463437
I suppose my view is skewed because even non-print material (As in, stuff that wouldn't fade with age) from that time has colors that look really bad.
>>
File: 112263.webm (3 MB, 960x480) Image search: [Google]
112263.webm
3 MB, 960x480
>>55463391
A guy goes back in time to stop the assassination of JFK.
>>
File: mad_men31[1].jpg (72 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
mad_men31[1].jpg
72 KB, 620x412
>>55462871
That's it? You can listen to more music? Some innovation. Kids in 1966 could already listen to all the music they would ever want with multiple radio stations just a turn of a dial away.
>>
>>55463496
This is bait do not respond.
>>
>>55463466
>The PC literally changed our society.

I don't know, man. I just don't know about that. People are still working 40 hours a week (often more). Still driving around in shit-ass combustion vehicles and crashing into one another. Life from 1966 to now hasn't really changed a lot other than we sit on our asses more and read off of a screen instead of a page.
>>
>Youtube/Netflix
>Hurr just turn on le Television
Right, because television in the 1960's had limitless content, customization, and didn't turn off after 10 PM
>>
>>55463558
And we are getting far more done in those 40 hours a week than we ever did before, because a computer is a productivity tool.
>>
>>55462008
If you really think planes, both commercial and military, haven't improved vastly since the 1960s in the areas of speed, fuel efficiency, safety, and capacity, then you're a complete retard and should probably learn something before you post. I would say you're a troll, but its obvious that you put a lot of effort into your OP and wanted to look smart. Fuck off underage luddite
>>
>>55463558
Even those internal combustion cars have gotten safer, and we're currently in the beginning of the transition away from them.
>>
>>55462008
no, because of microsoft
>>
File: CB_Base_Station[1].jpg (296 KB, 977x633) Image search: [Google]
CB_Base_Station[1].jpg
296 KB, 977x633
>>55463500
Yeah, you have to keep in mind that stuff looked amazing when it was new. And there were a lot of little trinkets and gadgets around that accomplished the same tasks we use our phones for today. Listening to your transistor radio while reading a magazine is not a completely difference experience from sitting on the bus flipping through reddit while listening to spotify.

People used to chat anonymously to one another over CB and ham radio. Shared music too. The mail was a really big deal and got used a lot. Same for libraries.
>>
OP is an underage faggot whom has never known a world without the internet, smart phones and personal computers. No wonder he can't appreciate how much they've changed our world.
>>
>>55463523
The point is that I can listen to the music I want on demand. You had to ether wait for a radio DJ to play your song, had to walk to a diner with a jukebox, or buy a physical record at a record store.

And if you missed a TV program back then, you're fucked.

I think that's the one big advantage of present-day technology. It's on demand, and contains limitless content.
>>
>>55463596
I guess for somebody out there that's a benefit, but for the average working man it's no difference.
>>
>>55463638
>instead of sitting in front of the TV with my family, I sit in front of the computer with my hand down my pants.
>>
>>55463657
Well you're a NEET so maybe you shouldn't talk for the average working man.
>>
>>55463636
Have you ever talked to someone that was an adult in 1966? I seriously doubt you ever have. Everybody I've talked to that was alive to remember 1966 is amazed by how far technology has come.
>>
>>55463350
>The people who needed and could use a computer to its fullest capabilities had access to them in the past.

That is blatantly not true, knew a guy who helped the Army Core of Engineers set up their system in the 70s and it was a huge change. And that was in the US Gov, if you wanted a computer in someplace like Saudi you had to smuggle one in as parts.
>>
>>55463674
If YOU weren't a NEET you'd know how much technology had changed the workplace.
>>
>>55463701
I was literally just arguing about how much technology has changed the workplace, idiot.
>>
>>55463681
I was born in 1975. I'm amazed by MikuMikuDance's physics. That you can do that in 5MB is amazing.
And your average car has gotten a lot nicer.
>>
>>55463644
Is music really such a big deal? I feel like as a whole society going on since the 60s we've put far more importance on it than it deserves. The same goes for sports.

People in 1966 had access to more entertainment media than they could ever exhaust. Dime stores had new novels coming out every week. Every day even. New TV shows. As you said, new records.

Yeah, it's easier to get to now, but it was piss-easy then. In terms of things I'd look to as examples of technological achievement I don't think I would list itunes.

However, the idea of a SD card being able to hold the entire personal information of every single person in the country is a different concept worth mentioning.
>>
>>55463698
Please note I was talking about the 80s in that post.
>>
File: micro_sd_comparison.jpg (358 KB, 1639x1229) Image search: [Google]
micro_sd_comparison.jpg
358 KB, 1639x1229
You tell me.
>>
>>55463789
Yes you sperg, it is a big deal. There's a reason that music predates fucking WRITING.
>>
>>55463817
>something you could hold in your hand in 2005 you can now hold on a fingertip in 2014

meh
>>
>>55463854
>One holds a few pictures, possibly a photo album
>The other can hold more information (photos, Pdfs, music, movies) than most people would use in a lifetime
Really makes you think
>>
>born in 1990
>still amazed by the progress of technology today

Something tells me that OP is an underage faggot.
>>
>>55462008
>technology hasn't really progressed in a meaningful way

Without computers you would not have memes. Without memes you would die.
>>
>>55463879
>The other can hold more information (photos, Pdfs, music, movies) than most people would use in a lifetime
>128GB
>information used in a lifetime
anon, I have watched over 600GB of anime
>>
>>55463932
Ok maybe not movies
>>
>>55463879
I had a 300gb hard drive in 2005 that I could take anywhere with me with nearly the same the ease I can take an SD card. That's what I was getting at.
>>
File: 40 KB.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
40 KB.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>55463913
wow, 1990? That's so long ago!
>>
>>55464049
If I was born 26 years ago and am amazed by the progress of technology someone born 50 years ago will be absolutely blown away you fucking sperg.
>>
Sorry OP I am an oldfag and you are wrong

up until I was 15 there was no internet

>call someone, tie up whole line for the house
>card catalog sucked, you have no idea how much better info at your fingertips is
>all photos are taken blink and take a week to process and you don't even know if they are going to turn out and it costs fifty cents per pic
>you are just wrong, shit sucked nigger
>>
>>55464098
>blink

blind
>>
>>55463789
>People in 1966 had access to more entertainment media than they could ever exhaust.

it was in no way the same you have no idea what you are talking about

there were 3 channels of TV and they were all super super boring and mainstream

>posting on 4chan about how much better life was before interactive websites

troooooooool
>>
>>55462008
>has technology advanced?
>lists technological advancements
>but thats not technology!
you're retarded op kys lad
>>
File: 1421887686946.jpg (270 KB, 1072x1200) Image search: [Google]
1421887686946.jpg
270 KB, 1072x1200
>>55463496
>Internet is cheap entertainment. Nothing about it is a technological marvel.
>>
>>55463817
and its only going to get crazier
>>
File: tech.png (250 KB, 654x540) Image search: [Google]
tech.png
250 KB, 654x540
>>55462008
>best part of old tech
quality
>best part of new tech
quantity
>>
>>55464307

if you refrained from dropping your phone onto concrete it would be fine in 50 years

>implying people watched black and white TVs with no hookups for anything for 100years

seems legit
>>
>>55462008

show them the memes

show them /pol/

show them BLM
>>
>>55464408
You're fogetting the fact that the phone has flash storage, which won't hold 50 years, not even close.
>>
>>55464437

if you say so
>>
>>55464412
>show them /pol/
>show them BLM
>in 1966
>literally just go outside
>>
>>55464073
That's because you're an idiot who has confused a change for a meaningful advance.
>We've gone from incandescent to CFL's to LED's!
So from a light bulb to a light bulb to a light bulb.
>>
>>55464504

since 1990 we have gone from no real useful internet to the internet taking over the world and privacy evaporating

it's the biggest revolution since the printing press, and probably bigger in terms of change than that was

u r retarded
>>
>>55464412
Bruh the Bureau of Land Management isn't that bad.
>>
File: Wow!.png (14 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Wow!.png
14 KB, 256x256
>>55463496
No, you're right OP. There has been no advancement in the technological field in over 50 years. Nothing's changed. Programmers and scientists just scratch their ass all day and "find new planets" and "create artificial intelligence" and stuff.

So, really, it's probably better to jump ship now while you can and neck yourself.
>>
OP is a master fisherman and I hate him.
>>
>>55464098
>all photos are taken blink and take a week to process

No they didn't you fuckin' nigger.
>>
>>55464638

those were a buck a shot and had shit resolution compared to real film

mainly used by pedos and white trash
>>
>>55462008
No.
>>
>>55464574
At no point in my OP did I say technology has not changed. You have inserted this idea into your own reading of the post because you are an angry autist that enjoys telling people to kill themselves.

The Planet Finder is a pretty good example of new tech. AI was mentioned in my OP. Read more critically next time.
>>
>>55464650
>mainly used by pedos and white trash

And rich people who didn't give a shit about spending a dollar per photo.

The quality from an instant camera is better than most of the photos you see on instagram.
>>
>>55463638
This
Its incredible how much bandwidth I can get from the thin air, not to mention having a omniscient notebook, a library of all books, films and music records in your pocket.
>>
>>55464708

no they were shitty quality and you are wrong
>>
File: memez.jpg (20 KB, 300x255) Image search: [Google]
memez.jpg
20 KB, 300x255
>apps

go get a life, losers
>>
>>55464307
>what are blowing tubes and condensators
>>
File: quality.webm (827 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
quality.webm
827 KB, 640x480
>>55464898
At least they are easily serviceable.

Modern smartphones on the other hand...
>>
>>55465014

give it a rest
>>
>>55463510
why are they looking at him strangely? he doesn't even look that out of place

They had t-shirts, jackets, and jeans back then look at the kid at 0:14 he's wearing similar clothes

Is it the graphic on his shirt? Honestly in real life I doubt anyone would notice or would think it's just a pattern sewed on
>>
>>55464307
>massive, heavy, lots of power consumption
>low resolution
>black and white
>no remote control
>breaks if you drop it from hip height

>mobile,
>hi res color display
>relatively low power consumption
>access to content from across the globe in seconds
>breaks if you drop it
>>
File: 1440286453957.jpg (87 KB, 729x410) Image search: [Google]
1440286453957.jpg
87 KB, 729x410
>>55462994
Yea great for them............Gee wouldn't it be nice if anything of value came out of the third world that could use over here to increase our wealth.

Stingy little color'ed cunts
>>
>>55462008
>>spotify/itunes
>Just turn on the radio
how in the world is that comparable?
>>
>>55465102
I think it's mostly because of the graphic t-shirt and his goatee. Most people were clean shaven and wore suits.
>>
>>55465014
>Modern smartphones on the other hand...
Phones are,nt alone in this.
Just about every consumer product is non-servicable.
Simple economics.
When I worked at IBM we never did board-level repairs. There was a FRU (field replaceable unit) number on every part. Just order the FRU and replace it.
The idea was to de-skill the job to the point that it could be done by graduates rather than "grunts" from industry.
>>
>>55463932
>only 600GB of anime
I bet they were Coalgirls too.

I kid anon, this isn't /a/. It's hopeless to save /g/.
>>
>>55463249
That was like 1969. It is a shame that humans havent walked on other planets or moons for decades. We should hsve already colonized mars.
>>
>>55465162
So the device you're using the post from is nothing? Because you likely couldnt afford your NEET lifestyle without all the cheap labor going into what you own. Trade is a two way street, everybody benefits when someone gets wealthy enough to trade. Stop being so short sighted.
>>
>>55463817
there's virtually no reason own >2TB drive unless you download raw BD rips with 8 audio tracks 192khz/24-bit each
>>
>>55462008
>Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress.
Planes have regressed.
>>
>>55462860
>EVERY KNOWN FACT on earth
not really tBh
>>
>>55465506
>we had the SR-71 and X-15! What kind of hypersonic planes do you have?
>uhhh... our fastest is around Mach 2
>oh. Supersonic transports? We had dozens of designs and were keen on switching over!
>Yeah... they made a few of the Concorde in 1969 and they served for 30 some odd years before we retired them. They were never economically viable.
>oh. So what do you use?
>The 747. Which also came out in 1969.
>>
>>55463728
but you're a NEET so maybe you shouldn't
>>
>>55465818
To be fair current 747 and 707 are much better then the originals.
>>
>>55462008
The ability to access media on demand would be pretty impressive to someone from the '60s, likewise with competent online shopping.

The tech itself probably wouldn't be supremely amazing, just smaller. Mainframes were no stranger to many modern computing concepts.
>>
File: 93320-004-28BFD092.jpg (41 KB, 674x300) Image search: [Google]
93320-004-28BFD092.jpg
41 KB, 674x300
I think OP worded his question incorrectly. Yes, technology has advanced, but has the purposes advanced?

Devices that transmit messages, display moving images, and play back recorded sound have been around for over a hundred years.

Can you think of a modern device that does not have a relative in the past? Something that was completely original and not built on top of other ideas?

Modern cell phones have relatives with the radio, telephone, kinetoscope, typewriter, telegraph, smoke signals, etc...

Even nuclear power plants still use the same concept of converting heat into useful work that people knew about in the 1800s with steam engines.
>>
>>55462008
Everything you're describing in one small handheld computer (that is 1000s of times faster than an average 1966 mainframe) with phone capabilities. Oh, and camera too. And video chat.
>>
>>55462008
it definitely has advanced where it counts, we may be re-implementing the same old concepts, but with new design paradigms, vastly improved production process and much more intelligent software to make it all much more powerful and efficient in usage

you're probably not going to blow away a 1960s computer scientist with your shitty smartphone or laptop, but that doesn't mean technology is totally stagnant
>>
>>55466154
No kind of modern day technology will override our human desires and needs.

Every human need has been addressed in some way or another throughout history.

The only piece of technology that has come close to being something "actually new" is the internet.
>>
>>55466282
>The only piece of technology that has come close to being something "actually new" is the internet.
The internet is basically a souped up telegraph, complete with all the rumor mongering that goes on.
>>
>>55462008
Why not extend it to 1920s? MOSFET was patented in 1920s and it hasn't really changed a lot. Why did you start at 1966? They literally had everything you listed in 1920s too, I mean conceptually, which what you are saying as well.
>>
Virtual reality porn games.

Fucking
/thread
>>
File: 1JC-Stereopticon.jpg (66 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
1JC-Stereopticon.jpg
66 KB, 600x414
>>55466380
>>
They had no conception of the kind of technology involved in your average smartphone. It would literally seem like something an alien dropped off.
>>
>>55466238
>it's faster and has big numbers
no shit?? that's expected, it's nothing impressive or even that meaningful, you could get the same talking point comparing a Newton to a PC AT

>with phone capabilities
this isn't hard to do

>and camera too
neither is this

>and video chat
or this

the success of modern smartphones were made possible by mature infrastructure, miniaturization and embedded tech finally surpassing a baseline where it was inexpensive enough while still useful, not some romanticized alien technology like you're making it out to be
>>
>>55466441
What? Smartphones dont really implement anything that didn't exist in some form in the '60s or '70s, they just implement it with bigger numbers in a smaller size.
>>
>>55466433
>hur dur
>>
>>55466301
>The internet is basically a souped up telegraph, complete with all the rumor mongering that goes on.

no
>>
Has tech really advanced in the last 2000 years?
>running water
Just collect water in buckets

>Planes, automobiles
Really haven't advanced much at all in a way that would impress someone from back in the day. They had horses and boats

>video
Just read a book

>radio
Same as above.
>>
>>55466282
I was going to say air conditioning, but even the ancient Egyptians had evaporative cooling.

shit.
>>
>>55466441
>>
>>55464574
>create artificial intelligence
Meh, we had that millions of years ago and we just had to fuck. It was all natural too.
>>
>Living in the dystopian cyberpunk future
>Not impressive
>>
>>55466504
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Victorian_Internet
>>
File: caveman.jpg (43 KB, 480x322) Image search: [Google]
caveman.jpg
43 KB, 480x322
>>55466576
>literally has everything in common with the stone age
not impressive at all
>>
File: meanwhile at zizin.jpg (162 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile at zizin.jpg
162 KB, 1024x681
>>55463558
>Still driving around in shit-ass combustion vehicles
WHICH ARE NOW MANY TIMES MORE EFFICIENT AND CLEAN BECAUSE OF
FUCKING
COMPUTERS

Direct Fuel Injection, variable valve timing, boost controlled turbocharging, airbags, early warning systems, radar, self-parking, self-driving oh and lest I forget THE FUCKING SEAT BELT which was not a required feature on US cars until the '70s.

You are ignorant or blind. Wonderful things are happening all around you. Technological innovation happens every single day.
You just have to get out from under your rock and LOOK.

We're still working 40 hours a week because our pay has not increased with our cost of living, but that's governmental, not technological.
>>
>>55466738
crumple zones in cars.
air bags. (sensor on car talks to computer which tells the airbag to deploy all in a matter of a few miliseconds)
>>
>>55466767
Crumple zones were a thing back before the '60s. Mercedes Benz developed car frames in '52 that would crumple in a collision, and the first car with those features was released in 1959.

However, computer aided design and simulation has made it a very simple and effective safety feature today.
>>
>>55464049
That's 26 my dear autistic anon. Literally the middle point on OP's 50 years long spanning measuring scale.
He can talk.
>>
>>55463466
I agree with this pony fetishist and terminal masturbator the PC spawned a revolution
>>
>>55462008
I'd show him a MicroSD card's physical size and capacity and he'd shit a brick.
>>
>>55466738
>>55466767
>all these children
What's going to get noticed is:
1. Headlights bright enough to actually see.
Halogen sealed beams are a miracle, and they didn't come out until the 70's.
2. High mounted stop light, and bright brake lights
3. Luxury.
Cars are quiet, rigid, and except for the back seat of my '04 Grand Prix, ergonomic.
4. Sound system quality
After automakers saw that nearly everyone in the 80's was ripping out the stock junk, they figured it might make a selling point in something better than a $10 unit.
CD vs AM? About the furthest thing from a contest there is. If they had "premium" FM or 8-track, it's still not even close.
>>
>>55464236
It isn't though, it's very useful, but what the fuck is really "marvelous" about it? We already had the world networked with phone and telegraph lines, laying a bunch of cable is nothing incredible.
>>
Imagine if a person from 2016BC traveled to 2016. What could you show them to impress them with our technological advancement?

The internet is what comes to mind first for most people, however
>email
They had a variety of fast traveling messages back then whether it was sending your slave, walking a long way and talking to them, smoke signals, or simply yelling really loud
>youtube/netflix
Just go to the local amphiteatre
>spotify/itunes
Just sing or get your slaves to sing
>video games
Are they really that impressive? What do they do to improve society? just become a gladiator and die
>high resolution monitors
Same as above. They had papyrus with pretty high resolution. Just get your scribe to draw a picture
>GPS
Just hire a guide or follow a trade route.

Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress. A four horse chariot is plenty fast.

Houses are nearly identical to the way they were. Worse in many aspects. In general a lot of things are built with inferior quality to the past. Used to be you could get a real stone house. Now it's all insulation that, and windows here, and appliances out the wazoo.

Medicine may be the area to look at. Advancements in the treatment of various debilitating illnesses have improved. We have things like Cochlear implants now that can let deaf people hear. But leaches will remove the bad spirits blocking your ear tubes just as well.

Search engines and deep learning AI may be impressive in the sense that one can ask nearly any reasonable question of google and get a useful response. But again, what can you really do with it you could not have done by visiting a library in the past? Did you know people used to get information by talking to other people, or listening to speches? They couldn't even read and they could find out anything simply by finding someone who knew or doing years of research to find out an answer for themselves.
>>
>>55466738
It may be a technically better car, but it's still just a car. Most of the time its performance is no different from a car 50 years ago. It goes from point A to point B in the same amount of time.

You could have mentioned computers are good for city planning because they can analyze traffic patterns in a way humans never could.
>>
>>55466441
It takes pictures, plays music, makes telephone calls, and sends letters.

Not really a revelation to someone from 1966.

If it could project a hologram it would be different.
>>
>>55466238
A backpack that contains
>a couple of books
>a couple of magazines
>a chess/backgammon board and a deck of cards
>a personal organizer
>an instant camera
>a transistor radio

And if were really a baller you could have your own Super 8mm camera to go in that backpack.

This will do much of the same things your smart phone will do on a practical basis. Occupy your mind in free time, take pictures, or answer questions ("handy guides" that covered a variety of subjects were very popular
). The big thing it won't do is make calls. But in the 1960s public pay phones were ubiquitous. Or you could have the CB Radio in the car.
>>
File: sick.jpg (168 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
sick.jpg
168 KB, 1200x799
>>55463523
>listen to all the music
>multiple radio stations
>a dial away

infinite music/listening choices
medium independent
no dials

>sorry gramps
>>
>>55462008
Time vs. Complexity

We're still moving forward while standing still
>>
>>55462008
VR porn
>>
File: razr.jpg (40 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
razr.jpg
40 KB, 650x650
>>55467519
>Not really a revelation to someone from 1966.

It fits in your pocket though.

A camera, radio, telephone, AND a mailbox are all much larger than the average smartphone.
I agree with >>55466441

I don't know if you're memeing but pic related would blow a 1966 person's mind
>>
>>55464708
>>>/p/

>>55464784
>>>/b/
>>
My granpa has always lived in rural Mexico, he is still amazed with how news can show live footage from across the world in HD. Even in the 60s his town used to share the few TVS that rich people bought.
>>
A person from 1966 would be depressed at how we have subverted technology to create a future controlled by governments and large corporations. And they certainly wouldn't be impressed by that.
>>
>>55468021
No, they wouldn't numbnuts. Compared to the cold war era, our problems with tyrannical governments seem a lot less bad. I'm not saying they don't exist or that it's wrong to complain about them, but someone from 1966 would rejoice if they saw the world today.
>>
>>55462008
storage and computing power to start with.

i mean, we have computers doing chemistry simulations for instance.
>>
>>55469238
I'm sorry, show me where big businesses gathered every single shred of information on you and governments permanently stored your movements and phone calls to profile the fuck out of you back in 1966.

Here's a hint: THEY DIDN'T.

Numbnuts.
>>
>>55469307
They did the best they could to spy on you with what they had back then. Ask anyone from the 1/3 of the world that used to be communist how they feel about the world now vs then. Hint: they generally didn't like communism because of the totalitarianism.
>>
>>55469373
>communists were evil so everything was evil
It's like saying living in N. Korea now means that everything is horrible these days.

>the best they could
And now they don't even have to try and are thousands of times more effective.

Yep, the modern era is a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>55469307
>I'm sorry, show me where big businesses gathered every single shred of information on you and governments permanently stored your movements and phone calls to profile the fuck out of you back in 1966.

cry more
>>
>>55462776
Underrated post
>>
>>55464098

I first got on the information superhighway in 1993.
>>
>>55463523
Youre not impressed by this since you allready have access too it. for someone who has grown up without it and then gets access too it, it is mindblowing.
>>
>>55463657
There is anreason why computers are popular anon.... Here is a thing you can do, if you want too mabey get into the mindset of a person from the 60s, live like one for more than a year, take no part in new technology and then when you have dome this for a year or two, come back too technology
>>
File: caveman_2.jpg (14 KB, 325x295) Image search: [Google]
caveman_2.jpg
14 KB, 325x295
>>55462008
Why Ugg want Gentoo if rock good enough?
>>
>>55464049
His fucking point was that he wasnt old in perticular and is STILL amazed you fucking retard
>>
>>55465102
Openly gay men in the 60s was a rare occurance.
>>
>>55462008
>Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress.

Okay, you get in a car from the 1966 and Ill get in a car from 2016, then we have a 50mph head on collision. Tell me then that cars haven't improved much
>>
>>55462008
Medicine, definitely medicine.

My mother has a sabre slash over her belly from removing her appendix. She had to rest for several days after the operation. Modern treatment would poke one or two small holes and let you go home the same day.
>>
>>55462008
no
>>
>>55462008
Dude, I was falling off my chair when I first saw the iPhone 4 screen. And that was fucking 2010. Do you really think any sane person would be that indifferent about all this stuff?
>>
>>55463913
This.
There was a thread on /b/ a few hours ago about the Dallas shootings and someone was posting what they were hearing on (I believe) police radio.
Even if it was fake, the fact that information can be so quickly broadcast to so many people is astounding.

On as side note, the chick whos boyfriend was shot yesterday steamed the events of his death live on social media where it could (in theory) could be stored forever and not be confiscated by that autistic ass cop. Of course the information could be deleted by the social media site at any time, but the fact that one can record video and have it sent to a storage device thousands of miles from where it was recorded is amazing.
>>
>>55462008
>Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress
Nigger did you smoke rolled up 60s magazines?
Specifically planes and car advanced a lot, compare anything with 4 wheels a 60s pleb could afford and modern shit, it's like comparing a rock to steel tools.
Passenger planes became so big and cheap to fly, that almost anyone can afford a ticket.
Military stuff would make a dude from 60s drool.
>youtube
>turn on the TV
You miss something, you don't get to see it again until the broadcast company decides to show it. Don't want to watch shitty shows on the several channels you have? Well too bad nigger, you don't get to choose. With internet, there's virtually no limit on what you can watch and how many times.
Same for radio.
>paper map
>equivalent to modern GPS
So I'll put you into a desert in northen Iraq, where you can't see any fucking features and give you your awesome paper map. (you have enough supplies to make back if you know where you're going)
Or pretty much anywhere else without distinctive features. Paper maps are only useful if you know where you are.
Having the ability to precisely pinpoint your location anywhere on the planet surface is sci-fi by 60s standards.
>>
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
File: 1467106132714.png (74 KB, 700x468) Image search: [Google]
1467106132714.png
74 KB, 700x468
Did you really need to ask?
>>
>>55462008
your question is just wrong.

>Has technology really advanced in the last 50 years?
yes and anyone that says otherwise is a fool. But yeah, most of the old tech already could do the exact same shit but it used to be much more expensive and inefficient.
>>
File: 1467579838044.jpg (66 KB, 707x675) Image search: [Google]
1467579838044.jpg
66 KB, 707x675
>>55470516
>only smartphones had porn
>>
google maps and google earth
>you can see any location at any time
how is that not pants shitingly impressive?

Honestly I'd just use Uber and tell the person it's like this all the time
>>
>>55462008
Are you retarded?
>hurr what could you show them
I could play a modern animated movie on my smartphone while they sit in the passenger seat of my car comfortably and quietly at 250km/h with the songs from their era playing over the stereo in better quality than they could ever imagine.

We could then drive home, enter my house powered by solar panels and cook in my microwave while my 4K 65" plays some crystal clear pictures of mars.

You dense fuck
>>
>>55470582
you must not remember the shitty mobile internet those old phones had, using a D-pad style button to navigate a text list menu, low resolution screens,
It all sucked
>>
>>55470605
At least it wasn't a touchscreen
>>
This thread is the most frustrating thing I've read this week.
>>
File: 1461562267305.jpg (146 KB, 580x859) Image search: [Google]
1461562267305.jpg
146 KB, 580x859
>>55471526
This

I bet OP expected flying cars and holograms in 2016
>>
Someone from 1966 would be blown the fuck away by GPS
>>
>>55462008
I'd say the internet. You're probably too stupid to understand how big it is. The internet is basically all the knowledge of mankind slapped together into one big shitfest. The fact that we can use search engines as advanced as Google to sort through it is a miracle. Anything you could ever hope to know is available in a matter of seconds. You just search for it. Wikipedia helped me out a lot when I was in college. A person from 1966 would be amazed to know how many uses we have for the internet. We can use skype to talk face to face with a person on the other side of the world in real time. We can type a 500 page book, save it with a cloud service, then pick it up later without having to carry anything with you.
>>
>>55471526
I know. OP is literally autistic
>>
A smartphone would be the best choice.
>>
>>55462008
Are you literally fucking retarded?
>>
>>55462008
Imagine if a person from 2056 traveled to 2016. What could you show them to impress them with our technological advancement?

The interconnect is what comes to collective conscious for most nodes, however
>telepathy
They had a variety of fast traveling messages back then whether it was e-mail, voice over internet protocol, short message system, or simply making a phone call.
>experience
They could view a tiny sliver of life from youtube and netflix.
>synesthesia
While spotify and itunes were limited to only aurally receiving the vibrations, apparently they still quite enjoyed it.
>immersive VR
Maybe times were better back then when there weren't so many restrictions games due to there being so many less video game related deaths due to addiction.
>1:1 Augmented Reality
While 8K was still merely a flat surface, it possessed many lifelike qualities.
>4DPS
Although GPS was limited to three physical dimensions, it still did well enough for most people.
>>
>>55472264
Oops, should have been 2066.
>>
>>55467252
>>55462008
Great post
>>
>>55469387
>It's like saying living in N. Korea now means that everything is horrible these days.
Except the North Korea I'm talking about controlled 1/3 of the world.

>Yep, the modern era is a fucking nightmare.
Spoken like a spoiler brat who wasn't alive in 1966.
>>
>>55462008
You're exaggerating, OP.

But I really feel that there has been no meaningful technical revolution in the last 10 to 15 years. Just rehashs of old stuff with somewhat better specs.
>>
File: f3ajWi4.webm (451 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
f3ajWi4.webm
451 KB, 480x360
>Planes, automobiles? They haven't really advanced in any ways that would impress
>>
>>55462008
They landed on the moon and warned us about political trouble with great novels like 1984.

We are restricted to grunts and urban slang exclusively by the STRICT 140 character limit on twitter a la 1984.
>>
>>55467106
>2. High mounted stop light, and bright brake lights

That shit is getting out of and though. Every winter, when I drive to work in the morning, it get blinded by break and turn lights. Sometimes it so bad I hold my hand in front of my eyes.

They were perfectly bright 10 years ago, now it's just too much.
>>
>>55474602
People like you are the reason I keep my break lights and turn signals under 100 lumens.
>>
>>55462008
Nigga we have enough technology to read brain impulses and control a prosthetic arm. We have enough technology to 3D print a makeshift skull replace it with it. We have evolved to the point that a neural network can make new music. We have successfully decrypted the brain of tapeworm and attached the brain of a rodent to a small car which serves as a pathfinder.
We have evolved to the point that we can cross the road without seeing the traffic while texting all the way.

If you don't think that is the tightest shit then get out of my face.

Also I'm too drunk to link the sauce so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>55463268
That was a huge plot hole in the show. He first saw that playing on one of his student's phones in the present and asks him to "send me that." What realistically would have happened is that the student would send him a YouTube link like a normal person. If he was sent a YouTube link, how is he playing that video, 40 years before YouTube even existed?
>>
>>55462776
"Computers are fast now."
>>
>>55463644
Most people just want to be fed content, on-demand content is a meme.
>>
>>55463041
You can't access the file system on it though
>>
I'd show them the Curiosity Rover and Pornhub.
>>
Stuff just twerks better, faster and safer now
>>
>>55462776
I totally agree. I can send emails, write documents, and shitpost just as easily from my Pentium II than from my i5.
>>
>>55462008
Shemale porn.
>>
>>55462008
Of course technology has "really advanced", the same way architecture has advanced and changed even though we still ultimately live in boxes with holes. Fundamental concepts like parallelism, higher-level languages, and virtualization may have been in use and reasonably mature in the early days of computing, but that doesn't mean that their implementations haven't advanced and improved to make them more effective, efficient and lightweight, nor that enterprising individuals haven't found new ways to put them to use.

A computer scientist, or anyone else keeping up with technology in the late '60s probably wouldn't be supremely shocked at the numbers on a smartphone spec sheet, miniaturization was in full swing at that time, and much more noticeable. A smartphone fits the power of a decade-old laptop into your hand, a PDP-8 fit a large air conditioned room into a small deskside audio rack. You're not going to really surprise anyone if you tell them that computers will be really fast and really small in 50 years.

However, they'd be quite interested in what you would do with it. Even an experienced operator from '66 would probably be pretty surprised to find out that he'll be using piece of accounting equipment as his primary means of entertainment and communication in 50 years, a computer scientist would probably have a field day with all of the new algorithms, languages and other techniques that have been developed since then. Hardware enthusiasts would have much more than just some petty numbers and romanticized descriptions like >>55462871, technologies like color liquid crystal displays, flash memory, and all kinds of other things made possible by more than just the natural advancement of production processes.

tl;dr totally agree that /g/ spec worship is dumb, but stop counter-jerking like a little bitch
>>
>>55475156
Because he fucking downloaded it.
>>
>>55475156
the kid said he'd send him the _video_ not send him a link, though that is not what a normal person would do

>>55478244
>he sarcastically said he wanted the video
>he went out of his way to download the video he didn't even want
>>
>>55462008
>internet
the internet revolutionized banking and commerce almost completely, and being able to order shit and have it arrive to your door in two days would have been absolutely astounding, and that's just the tip of the iceberg
>GPS
major revolution for naval and air traffic, which relied on inertial guidance, the stars, etc
major revolution for military use, where you could now pinpoint a target exactly to strike
minor revolution for personal use, most important things are a: much harder to get lost, and b: directions to home from anywhere
>email
instant, long-range communication was a revolution
even moreso that it's available in your pocket

the one thing that's really changed society that we use now that wasn't available was cell phones
being able to contact emergency services nearly anywhere, being able to arrange for things on-the-go -- it's vastly revolutionized the way business is done
pay-phones aren't comparable, you can't reasonable call someone who's on the job with them at a pay-phone

>>55470605
browsing for porn on a blackberry in like 2002 was pretty great
just having internet on the go at the time was such a fucking "WOW" moment for me at the time, and pages didn't even render too badly -- wasn't great, but it worked

mind you, I had dialup until like 2007, I remember coming to 4chan in 2006 and being banned occasionally because fucking AOL's dynamic IP

>>55467519
>pictures:
immediately -- digital photography completely and utterly changed the face of photography, lowering costs, encouraging photographers to attempt shots that might have been seen as a waste of film prior, DRASTICALLY reducing time required
>music, phone calls, letters
in your pocket, from nearly anywhere
>>
>>55477921
>However, they'd be quite interested in what you would do with it.
Your phone might have more grunt than a mainframe of 40 years ago but let's see it do the same work. A network of 1000 data entry stations, ATMs and POS stations? Don't make me laugh.
Even one RJE session would tax it beyond its limits.
>>
80 percent of all life saving medical equipment
>>
APL is still the most efficient and powerful programming language. Able to control mainframe computing in the shortest amount of code, and able to produce immense advanced algorithms in one line.
>>
>>55481856
>implying that the majority of mainframes at the time weren't just doing batch processing jobs with no direct connection to the outside world.
>>
>>55462008

Show them a cell phone with pictures of mars taken by a fucking rover we sent to another planet. If that does not impress them nothing will
>>
Not at all we are all being fooled
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.