[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1448977046899.png (339 KB, 855x919) Image search: [Google]
1448977046899.png
339 KB, 855x919
Previously on >>55439364

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
>>55456581
Still want advice for it. I would be grateful.

First for Arch btw
>>
I'm currently using Clementine for playing audio and managing my audio files in Debian. I don't like it, but I haven't found anything better. CMUS is nice looking and all, but my library is VERY large, and I want software that makes managing the library, editing tags, and so on simple. Can anyone make a recommendation?
>>
>>55456691
puddletag. Use a player to play the files, use a tagger to tag them.
>>
>>55456691
mpd + ncmpcpp
>>
Purged and reinstalled youtube-dl.

$ youtube-dl --version

So I tried to add thewebupd8 PPA from http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/trusty/main/base/youtube-dl, but:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

What now?
>>
>>55456712
Install the deb
>>
>>55456661
>2014.02.17
ubuntu...
>>
>>55456717
hurr durr. It's working, thanks.
>>
>>55456723
I guess your shitpost was meant for
>>55456712
>>
>>55456701
Will check out puddletag, thanks. What player would you suggest though? The CLI players are really kind of a pain to navigate with my library.

>>55456702
Tried before, same problems as CMUS.

My library is currently 1.7TB of mp3s and FLACs. It's legitimately huge, with tens of thousands of songs that I've accumulated over the last 18+ years. Navigating this many songs with CLI is honestly kind of a pain.
>>
>>55456844
I usually use mpd and ncmpcpp or just deadbeef.
Quodlibet is pretty good, gmusicbrowser is as well. Honestly though you might not have explored all the key shortcuts and options with ncmpcpp if you found it hard to navigate through your library, it's actually quite flexible an allows you to view your library by any number of tags, sort it is various ways including created/modified date, lets you view folders and browse outside of the library.
>>
>>55456625
Best wifi adapter for linux?
>>
>>55456916
Pretty much anything from here: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux
>>
>>55456625
10/10 opening picture
>>
>>55457022
Thanks anon
>>
>>55449884

VirtualBox uses Qt for its GUI, so it won't use your GTK themes. The Arch Wiki has an explanation on the possible solutions to make Qt programs look like your GTk theme.
>>
I have a X220t with a HDD and an mSATA SDD. I'm currently only using Xubuntu on the SDD but would like to dual boot with Windows 7 on the HDD and Xubuntu on the SSD. However, I want it to automatically boot Xubuntu (so if I turn on my laptop and go for a coffee, it should go directly into Xubuntu). If I want to boot into Windows instead, I want it so I need to do an extra step. How do I achieve this?
>>
>>55456712
>
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

lol what, time to reinstall i guess
>>
File: ep059.jpg (158 KB, 610x620) Image search: [Google]
ep059.jpg
158 KB, 610x620
>>
>>55457569
>>55457588
>>55457612
Is this character blocked? http://www.charbase.com/200c-unicode-zero-width-non-joiner

I tried CTRL+SHIFT+u200C
>>
>>55457509

It took me 3 seconds to search the internet and find out what's happening. A reinstall won't help you, you should reconsider your life.
>>
>>55457685
Your point is?
>>
>>55457742
His point is that you're a retard for suggesting to reinstall over something that can be figured out in 3 seconds.
>>
>>55457857
So you're going to tell that if add-apt-repository returns command not found, the system isn't broken?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-07_16-30-58.png (71 KB, 1052x563) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-07_16-30-58.png
71 KB, 1052x563
>offer a bunch of different downloads
>don't explain what the differences are between them
Why is this allowed?

I'm guessing virtual is for virtual machines, but I have no idea how extended and vanilla are supposed to differ from the standard release, and there doesn't seem to be a page on their wiki about it.
>>
>>55458310
the handbook literally explains it. Anyways since you can seem to rtfm I don't think alpine is the distro for you.
>>
best tool to graph network/sysusage over time on ubuntu 14lts?
>>
>>55456625
I asked /dpt/, but I think I'll also ask here.

I got two questions about software licensing. Lets say something is licensed under BSD 3 clause and GPL making it dual licensed. Would both the conditions of the licenses apply or do you have to pick one of the two licenses if you were to do a derivative? My 2nd question is that GPL requires you to use the same license again and BSD does not. If you took BSD licensed software and switched to GPL, would the BSD license apply anymore?
>>
>>55456844
Try lollypop.
>>
>>55458277

add-apt-repository isn't included in Ubuntu, it's a "3rd party" program.
>>
>>55458446
>the handbook literally explains it.
If by handbook, you mean this:
http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Installation&redirect=no#Installation_Handbook
No it doesn't. There is no mention of "vanilla" or "extended" anywhere on that page.

If you are referring to some other handbook, then please link to it, as it is not linked to either on the Alpine Linux site, nor does it come up in search engine results for "alpine linux handbook".

>Anyways since you can seem to rtfm I don't think alpine is the distro for you.
Oh, sod off with your juvenile elitism.
>>
>>55458310
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09227
>>
>>55458699
Hm I swear they (used) to explain it somewhere. Anyways, extended is the only iso with some added packages on the iso, the other two are pretty much netinstall. Standart ships with a grsec patched kernel, vinalla a normal kernel, and I assume virt is for VMs
>>
>>55458840
Thanks.
>>
I just installed Ubuntu 16.04
Does it come with generic usb 3 drivers? Do I need to install my mobo's chipset drivers?
>>
>>55458899
Yes. No.
>>
After a lot of hand-wringing about convenience versus Canonical cancer, I finally decided to just up and ditch Ubuntu for Debian Stretch on my laptop.

And so far it's been completely painless. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.
>>
>>55459314
Debian testing is comfy as fuck.

Debian is general is pretty great:
>stable releases are really stable
>netinstall gives a nice barebones system for those that want to customize from the ground up
>testing has loads of good packages, some practically in the bleeding edge
>it's definitely a free GNU/Linux distribution, but the FSFfags don't like that it has an option for non free packages
>>
>>55453495
>>
>>55458639
lol
>>
>>55459080
Thanks!
>>
>>55459314
Would like to move from stable to stretch but am kind of not sure how to do this without fucking up. Do I really need a clean install?
>>
Well friendos, I must be dumb, because, not only can I not solve this problem, but I can't even find the "detailed report." I'm trying to install Chrome because I would really like to watch my Taiwanese claymations on Netflix, but alas, I am unable. Anyone got ideas?
>>
>>55459927
in that nice little terminal to the right type in the following

sudo apt-get install google-chrome
>>
>>55459927
Install Chromium, which is a FOSS version of Chrome
sudo apt-get install chromium
>>
>>55459960
Uhh, no, you don't. Because that's not in the Debian repos.

>>55459977
Chromium doesn't support Widevine, which Netflix requires.
>>
>>55459900
afaik it's just a matter of changing your sources.list, replacing instances of stable or jessie with testing.
then just upgrade as normal
>>
>>55459927
apt install <path to .deb>

Just drag and drop into the terminal.
>>
I like KDE and all the features it provides, but I don't like how there's a chance of a feature breaking with every new update. Any DE suggestions?
>>
>>55460025
>>
>>55460061
You may like Cinnamon. I legitimately like Gnome3, too, but it definitely won't make everyone happy.
>>
>>55460066
Try adding
contrib non-free
to sources.list.
>>
Any word processors for Linux that are comparable to MS Word? I'm a collegefag who can't switch to Linux because LibreOffice isn't really cutting it.
>>
>>55460066
sudo dpkg -i name.deb
>>
>>55460110
Pretty sure the best options on Linux are LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or Google Docs

If anyone knows anything else, lemme know.
>>
>>55460107
contrib and non-free are already there.

>>55460110
I use LibreOffice in place of Office quite frequently. What are you finding is the problem with LibreOffice? My guess is that you don't need a new program, but rather, you need to understand how to operate LibreOffice or change its settings, unless you're having a really specific edge case.
>>
>>55460182
Still errors without verbose output. Any idea where this would log?
>>
>>55460235
FUCK ME I AM STUPID.

REALLY I CAN READ. I SWEAR.
>>
>>55460110
Google docs is really great, if you don't mind needing a google.bot.net account.
>>
So I just updated KDE last night and when I woke up the next morning, my notifications widget wasn't working. I'm not at my computer right now, but it it said something like "org.plasma-notifications.something is inexistent".
>>
>>55460235
why the fuck don't you just add the official chrome repo ?
>>
>>55460288
the deb does that for you, the problem is that people tried to help him without know how to install a fucking .deb
>>
>>55456625
Need help with Ubuntu 16.04 gnome 3
Can't connect to the internet because no drivers for my wlan card
>>
File: Xdm_Screenshot.png (13 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Xdm_Screenshot.png
13 KB, 800x600
Can someone educated spoonfeed me on the topic?

Is there any technical disadvantage of NOT using a display manager to manage your graphical session?

I'm perfectly aware of the practical advantages of it as in the past I've been using GNU/Linux with a dm (most notably - lightdm) and without any DM at all.

But from the technical side.

My primary concern is security.

Does managing my graphical session without a display manager somehow create a gaping security hole I'm not aware of?
>>
>>55460331
sent you the drivers ;)
>>
>>554603
Seriously
fuck this
It seems that I need touchpad driver, wlan driver and then I would be good before something surfaces up
It really is handy to have two computers when you are troubleshooting this kind of stuff
>>
>>55460288
See v
>>55460298
I've never had this issue before with one not listing out what was breaking its install. I'll freely admit to being anything but a Linux power user, but I'm not a total goon usually.
>>
>>55460357
It's all good.
>>
Chrome works. Thanks for the help anons.
>>
>>55460191
>>55460205
>>55460278

Thanks, anons.

LibreOffice's formatting doesn't transfer very well (with MS). I end up having to fix formatting every time.
Any tips?

Thinking of just switching then using GoogleDocs, since it's pretty close.
>>
>>55460382
You know you could just torrent Sidonia.
>>
And also
What should I do when I'm on a dead end because of error "Unable to locate package X"
>>
>>55460469
That means the package doesn't exist in the repos, maybe you misspelled the package name or something.
>>
how can i install flash on chromium? i cant watch twitch. What other browser you recommend (32 bit)?
>>
>>55460388
Google's formatting conversion is far worse in my experience than LibreOffice's. We use Google Docs at work all the time, but then clients want to have files in Word format. It's always a struggle to get it to work properly.

The best suggestion I can make is to either simplify the way you're formatting a bit or export to PDF. What are the specific features you're trying to use that don't work properly? If you use a lot of tables or insert graphics, Google docs botches them a lot.

>>55460412
Yeah, but I have a Netflix membership. May as well stream it. I'm at work watching on my computer while I work on the company machine.
>>
File: IMG_20160706_204117.jpg (896 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_204117.jpg
896 KB, 2560x1440
Best Ultra-lightweight stuff? using a
single core P3 1ghz /128mb ram laptop with Debian for a week.I currently have
>Joes Wm
>lxterminal /plain Xterm
>Psi for IM
>Dillo(looking to replace)
>deadbeef

looking for a very lightweight file manager,browser, and generally stuff to do with this old laptop
>>
>>55460665
Midori is a nice little browser if you don't mind it crashing every 15 minutes.
>>
>>55460665
Brave. Lightweight, built in ad blocking and privacy protection.
>>
So I'm new to Linux and I installed Arch yesterday by following a guide. Today I've run into a couple of issues. The first is this: when trying to download large files in firefox, chromium, or opera Arch crashes at some point during the download. Sometimes the system is competely unresponsive and sometimes the cursor is able to move, but in no instance will ALT+F1 or F-anything work. Any clues as to what's going on?

Also, looking at the screenfetch I just did, all of the theme information is wrong... what's that about?

I feel like I'm walking on eggshells and the system will crash at any moment.
>>
>>55460872
>my system is shit and broken
>recently I installed X
>X crashed
>X is bad
>>
>>55460338

Some of the systemd compliant display managers set up a session with required things. Without one, you'd have to do it manually I suppose.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/
>>
Anyone running wayland?
>>
One question guys. Do I need to install the backports on debian 8 3.14 kernel? This is my nvidia card:

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 304.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver
package.

What would be the best way to install my nvidia drivers? I read the wiki, but I am confused on which way I should install it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
File: scrot.jpg (67 KB, 728x746) Image search: [Google]
scrot.jpg
67 KB, 728x746
Has Mint ever actually broken for anyone using "unsafe" updates? What do you guys recommend setting this at?
>>
>>55462686
I recommend Debian testing.
As a serious reply, I have no idea. I'm guessing unsafe is Debian Sid which has broken systems before.
>>
File: eedded.png (5 KB, 659x52) Image search: [Google]
eedded.png
5 KB, 659x52
First hour using linux

What does pic related indicate?
>>
>>55463036
It indicates you are messing with the bootloader
>>
>>55461713
Sorry, but Midori's instability is well known.
>>
>>55463053
What does the red text indicate? and the arrow with the path to a different grub.cfg file?
>>
>>55463073
It's saying where the .cfg file is stored (symlinked)
>>
>>55463117
right, but why is it highlighted...

total guess, but it looks like it's using a backup copy (grub2.cfg) or something because the original (grub.cfg) is borked?

can you be a little more specific, please? does the red text indicate an error of some sort?
>>
>>55463177
I don't think so. I think you don't have the permission to write on the file
>>
>>55462686
I'm not certain whether it has ever bricked a system in practice, but in theory, what it could do is critically break a dependency and thereby render programs (maybe many programs) unusable. This can go one of two ways: you update a dependency to a version newer than any program is using and things don't work well, or you update a program that needs a newer version of a dependency than is in the repo and the program requiring the new program doesn't work.

If you're not willing for stuff to break, don't pick the setting that says it might break stuff.
>>
>>55461574
systemctl --failed
might be of some use here if you can't make sense of the output in htop.
>>
Hi, random question here: what are the differences between scp and sftp, and should I care? I couldn't get pscp to work but psftp was ezpz. Would one be better for doing automated backups?

Also, does VNC kinda just... suck? It was way cray laggy when I tried it with TightVNC to the point where it wasn't even worth bothering with it seemed. What about X forwarding? Can I run graphical stuff on my local machine that way?

Thanks!
>>
File: Security Configuration2.1.png (3 MB, 4020x7373) Image search: [Google]
Security Configuration2.1.png
3 MB, 4020x7373
Firewall tweaks, as suggested. What should I make next?
>>
>>55463363
A guide on how to use GNU/Linux to get a gf
>>
>>55463381
Looks like you need to hit the gym
>>
File: asdf.png (254 KB, 1505x890) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
254 KB, 1505x890
Where did I mess up?
>>
(VLC related)Everytime I move the progress bar, the video just breaks for a while and then it returns to normal.
With totem this doesn't happen :/
Any help?
>>
>>55463710
Read what the log file listed in the terminal says
>>
>>55463710
run the launch.sh file insted of the .jar directly
>>
>>55463286
Would it be worth it, though? A lot of the restricted updates are security ones, especially with the kernel.
>>
>>55463733
Don't use VLC
>>
>>55457088
Underrated.
>>
>>55458310
Why are you falling for the shittiest meme in /g/?
>>
>>55463317

Thanks for trying to help.

systemctl --returns
0 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

and systemctl list-unit-files returns way too much to paste in here.

I'm not sure what behavior I should be looking for in htop.
>>
>>55461574
>installed Arch yesterday
>843 packages
Not sure if screenfetch is wrong with the number or you just followed a bad guide...
Also: try installing gsettings-desktop-schemas
>>
>>55461574
after you reboot what happens with the file you are downloading? is there in Downloads?
>>
>>55463963
>I'm not sure what behavior I should be looking for in htop.
Recreate the scenario that causes the problems, watch processes in htop. Investigate whatever is listed at the time of the crash.
>>
>>55464046
>>55461574
Show me :
df -h

I think i get what is your problem.
>>
>>55461574
Is this bait? Why you running screenfetch as root?
>>
>>55463764
I'm on Debian, not Mint, but IMO, it's not worth it. I run Stretch, not Sid.
>>
>>55464046
Nothing
>>55464065
dev             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
run 7.8G 844K 7.8G 1% /run
/dev/sdb3 20G 6.7G 12G 36% /
tmpfs 7.8G 292K 7.8G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 7.8G 20K 7.8G 1% /tmp
/dev/sdb1 511M 27M 485M 6% /boot
/dev/sdb4 94G 2.4G 87G 3% /home
tmpfs 1.6G 16K 1.6G 1% /run/user/120
tmpfs 1.6G 32K 1.6G 1% /run/user/1000

>>55464089
No. I was logged into root because I was dicking around making a bootable arch usb and my system keeps crashing. So while I was doing that I posted in this thread.
>>
>>55464194
>>55464065

I guess that I should also mention that I'm crashing while watching youtube as well.
>>
>>55464194
forget it , my idea was that maybe you were eating all the space in root partition, but it seems ok.
>>
>>55464194
try installing iotop and send the output(keep in mind it refreshes constantly).
Maybe something is using all your disk, just like the 100% disk usage in windows
>>
also posted in /sqt/ but i'll ask here too:
why would one want to use something like MPD for music? as far as i can tell, it's only useful if you want to have multiple people connected to one stream
so what if i don't care about that? why stream to just myself? it seems like it would be a much better solution to just use a regular application that plays the music...
>>
File: 1460872261457.jpg (79 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1460872261457.jpg
79 KB, 1366x768
>>55456625
Hey ive been wanting to try linux for a while.
Is there a way i can intall it in the same hard drive as my windows?
>>
Installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 for my gf as dualboot on her Dell inspiron laptop(circa 2011). She really likes it, however her battery life is shit, under 1 hour. Whereas it was around 4 on Windows.

What can I do to improve this? I installed TLP and typed "sudo start tlp". Doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Willing switching to MATE really make that much of a difference?
>>
File: sh.png (92 KB, 965x466) Image search: [Google]
sh.png
92 KB, 965x466
>>55463739
I don't know what that stuff means.

>>55463748
I'm not sure if I did it correctly, pic related.
>>
>>55464363

>shrink the hard drive partition that Windows is installed on from Windows using Disk Management. You may need to defragment your hard drive first if you can't shrink the partition very much.

>Boot Ubuntu Live USB and create a new partition using the space you freed up, install to there.

You know you can also just run the live session from a USB stick of many Linux distros? Don't install a distro before you've tested.
>>
>>55464446
its a 1tb hard drive so space isnt and issue since.
Any distro suggestions
>>
Hey /g/uys so I got Sabayon Gentoo up and running liking it so far. Right now I'm trying to get ncmpcpp to work I cannot run it everytime i get the error: "ncmpcpp: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_filesystem.so.1.56.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" boost libs are were installed as a dependency when I installed ncmpcpp. Ive tried removing and reinstalling everytime i get this error though any suggestions?
>>
Having huge static over the mic problems in pretty much every program where a mic is involved in. I plugged in a hard drive running windows and the static doesn't exist on windows, just on linux. I've tried about two dozen different suggestions from forums (including the one on archwiki) but none of them do anything other than one that killed all sound. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or am I just doomed to use push to talk?
>>
>>55464216
hardware problems are discarded?
I used to have a similar problem, i fixed it just by cleaning the dust out of the ram .
>>
>>55464436
what is in the config.txt file?
also, try using the oracle java instead of the openjdk, just tried kanjitomo in my installation (arch btw) and it works with the oracle jdk
>>
>>55463348

Could someone help me with this? I'm new to the whole Linux thing!
>>
How do I host a mumble server but not give away my IP address?
>>
>>55457349
Install windows 7 to the HDD. Boot from the ssd to get into GRUB and if you don't see windows 7 appearing at your GRUB bootloader then update grub and it should appear. Then when you want to boot to windows select windows from the GRUB menu
>>
>>55456712
You are supposed to update youtube-dl with the -U option.
>>
>>55464413
You gotta do some tuning with the conf file for tlp.

But battery life won't be better or as good as windoze. Slightly worse you can achieve with some tuning.
>>
>>55464559
Don't think this is possible.

Why wouldn't you trust anyone you'd be inviting to the server? If you are hosting this on your own home network, I suggest using a vps. Very cheap now, and can find servers in many cities.
>>
File: derp1.png (269 KB, 354x336) Image search: [Google]
derp1.png
269 KB, 354x336
Please suggest me lightweight and customizable panel for using with xfwm+rofi (so i don't need separated app menu), that focuses on showing custom output of bash/zsh commands instead of developing thousand useless "addons".
It'd be awesome if i could control what happens when i left/right/middle click on different areas ("exec [command]" would be enough).
Overall visual appearance, colors and fonts configuration through .config (anything but xml, i beg you) is nesessarily for sure. Thanks in advance.
>>
I got this message when I was trying to use the KDE notifications widget after updating:
Error loading Applet: package inexistent. Could not find requested component: org.kde.plasma.notifications

I'm at a loss about what to do next.
>>
>>55464965
Re install kde
>>
>>55464978
Seems kind of drastic.
>>
>>55464965
distro?
>>
>>55465069
Debian Testing. Updated the other day and after restarting, I couldn't access the desktop context menu or get notifications.
>>
Is there anyway to make custom commands i.e if I type sshpi it will ssh into my raspberrypi?
>>
>>55464309
The picture is from the moment it locked up and froze.

>>55464528
It's possible. I'll have to check when I get a chance to open it up.
>>
>>55465844
Forgot to attach the picture.
>>
I'm doing the netinstall for Debian on my Lenovo X1 Carbon. I have the iwlwifi firmware on a USB drive so my laptop can use its wifi, but it still isn't working. The installer can't autoconfigure the network with DHCP. Please help
>>
We're dying here,
>>
>>55466330
and,
>>
>>55463363
How do I make an owncloud server?
>>
>>55466355
or,
>>
File: 1467234091992.jpg (451 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
1467234091992.jpg
451 KB, 849x1200
i'm looking for a good/easy linux iptables tutorial, any recommendations?
>>
>>55466357
First, it's called nextcloud now. There was a change in leadership and owncloud isn't maintained anymore. Nextcloud is the new name now.

Go to https://nextcloud.com/install/ and follow the docs.
>>
>>55464978
Well I went full-tilt and reinstalled Debian too. No dice.
>>
>>55466383
What's wrong with UFW?
>>
>>55466478
It dosent work. And /sqt/ , /fglt/ flat out tells me it is working, when the settings are setup properly. but it just isnt working. They then laugh and say i'm doing something wrong, or im using a non standard setup instead.Even through everything posted is correct
>>
File: tables_traverse.jpg (169 KB, 647x1100) Image search: [Google]
tables_traverse.jpg
169 KB, 647x1100
>>55466383
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/iptables

the link, linked dochmentation in the middle of that wiki page, and mainly that chart

That's what I remember I used
>>
>>55466522
What exactly do you want the firewall to do. UFW is just a front end to iptables. So if ufw is not doing anything it's iptables' fault
>>
>>55466580
iptables filters are empty, ufw filters are empty.
Just standard installation
>>
>>55466606
Add filters then?

Block everything by default. Add exceptions as you go.
>>
>>55466621
Thats what i did.Block incoming. Block outgoing.
Turn it on.
Nothing gets blocked
>>
>>55466707
writing the commands you typed out would help out pham.
>>
>>55466707
#systemctl enable ufw -f && systemctl start ufw -f

#ufw status
>>
>>55466728
ufw default deny
>>
>>55456661
NTFS is closed-source, and has a permission setup very different from what a *nix would expect. This creates a certain level of hazard when trying to access files from anything not Windows. Your best bet would be FAT32.
>>
>>55462101
Arch GNOME can run wayland ootb
>>
Is there a reason cp and mv would be slower then rsync?
Manually doing it i get piss poor performance, using rsync on the other hand, im maxing out the transfer rate
>>
>>55467348
where are you copying to and from?
>>
>>55467404
I use dd to backup my data drives in to images.All goes fine until i go to cp/mv them to the backup array, im getting 100-200mb/s write speed.
When i run rsync its 2gb/s plus
Using iotop to determine speeds.
>>
>>55464537
I downloaded Oracle's Java, and that did the trick.
Thanks, Anonymous.
>>
>>55467459
rsync might have smarter sparse file handling
>>
>>55467459
when you're imaging with dd why don't you just set the outfile to your intended destination, rather than making an image in your working directory and then moving it?
>>
What's a good lite distro for an old laptop (T61)? Got lubuntu at the moment and it's alright. But it doesn't seem to remember brightness settings after sleeping, logging off, AC adapter toggling etc. and that sort of bothers me.
>>
I disabled the rpc whitelist and set authentication to false in ~/.config/transmission/settings.json, but the webgui is still saying my ip is unauthorized

"rpc-authentication-required": false,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "{kek",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "",
"rpc-whitelist": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,
>>
>>55467921
arch is decent if you configure it correctly
ubuntu MATE might be a lightweight distro that just werks OOTB
>>
I've got Arch with KDE and when I try to use i3 it freezes at the login screen. What am I missing? I thought I could just install i3 and pick it on the KDE login screen
>>
File: 1463966411898.jpg (40 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
1463966411898.jpg
40 KB, 570x574
I'd like to mess around with Kali. I'm mildly interested in InfoSec and I'm just curious about the whole thing.

I run Debian on my desktop.

Should I run Kali in a VM, or a USB?
What's standard practice for it?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>55468996
Standard practice for Kali is to burn a dvd and shove it up your ass.
>>
>>55469006
I don't understand the joke, if you're trying to insult it or me
>>
File: 1467828194552.jpg (36 KB, 266x310) Image search: [Google]
1467828194552.jpg
36 KB, 266x310
What's the smallest linux I can stick onto a zip disquette for live booting, that is also able to use ubuntu's ppa things? Or possibly also .deb packages, maybe.
>>
Why does Ubuntu take SO LONG to reconfigure itself when I plug in an external monitor? On Windows it takes maybe 5 seconds or so, but on Ubuntu it's closer to a minute. Is there anything I can do to fix/improve that?
>>
>>55469191
It's Ubuntu, I dunno.
>>
File: tumblr_n1bu0kPs9r1sial0xo1_500.png (126 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1bu0kPs9r1sial0xo1_500.png
126 KB, 500x375
ey Friends, After setting up and installing the VFIO kernel on arch, I bonked out my Nvidia drivers, I try to startx but I says it failed to initialize the Nvidia kernel, And trying to modprobe nvidia says it is an unknown paramater / symbol in module
>>
>>55469337
reinstall nvidia it isnt in your modules in the kernel config
>>
Does anyone know how to change the color of a theme's main menu bar thing? I've been tinkering with Numix's .css files (there's a dark and a regular) and I managed to turn nearly everything into the color I want (I'm typing in a field of the swatch of my choice in a window of the same color right now), except for that menu bar. The mnemonics make it seem like it's one of the bg colors, but after logging out and logging back in I'm not getting the right change.
>>
>>55469468
probably worth noting the applications menu isn't changing color either, so they are probably pulled from the same color definition. Also I'm on Mint Cinnamon.
>>
>>55469468
What desktop environment? Post screenshots.
>>
>>55469497
on it.
>>
I'd love to make my Asus laptop (S56CM) more stable and more functional. A guy here on /g/ recommended me the installation of Xubuntu, saying that it's eays to use. I've been using Windows 8 on my laptop for quite a long time, but now I'm fed up with it. Some questions:
1) due to a strange "driver power state failure" issue I can't resolve, my pc takes 20 minutes to boot each time. Will installing Xubuntu solve this issue? At this point I think it's Microsoft's fault.
2) do I need an antivirus on Xubuntu? I use internet and qBitTorrent quite regularly.
3) the programs I mostly use are LibreOffice, Adobe Reader, VLC for videos, MusicBee for music and some steam games (TF2 and Fistful of Frags). Will these programs run well on Linux?
Thank you in advance for reading.
>>
>>55469495
Okay. So in the cinnamon.css file, find this:
.panel-bottom {
border-image: url("panel-assets/panel-bottom.svg") 4;
font-size: 9pt;
height: 25px;

and replace
border-image: url("panel-assets/panel-bottom.svg") 4;

with
background-color: rgba(R,G,B,A);"

Or alternative open up vector editor (like inkscape) and change panel-botton.svg to your prefered colour.
>>
File: sample1.png (192 KB, 1007x607) Image search: [Google]
sample1.png
192 KB, 1007x607
>>55469468
>>55469495
>>55469497
>>55469532
>>
>>55469427
I have a few times, It's not going where it needs to go on this kernel for somereason, but works fine in my old kernel, Trying to install nouveau to try and see if that fixes it...
>>
>>55469557
Oh, you want "panel-top" then, I guess. Also I fucked up all the code, sorry.

So replace

.panel-top {
border-image: url("panel-assets/panel-top.svg") 4;
}

with
.panel-top {
background-color: rgba(R,G,B,A);
}

Make RGB whatever values you want (just Google some hex colour picker) and A is the transparency 0 is transparent, 1 is opaque.
>>
>>55469151
Lucid Puppy might be able to do ppas

>>55469540
>"driver power state failure" issue
that sounds like a windows problem
>do I need an antivirus
nope
>the programs I mostly use
This is the only problematic part. Good luck!
>>
>>55469600
> windows problem
Then would installing Xubuntu resolve this problem?
>>
>>55469540
Put xubuntu on a USB and try it out.
>>
>>55469540
1) No idea, never heard of it, maybe?
2) No. You don't need an antivirus per-se on Linux. If used with correct practices (not running untrusted things as admin, only using the official or trusted repositories, not just downloading random packages from the internet and running them, protecting your browser, etc), using ufw (uncomplicated firewall) you should be peachy for life
3) Basically. LibreOffice and VLC are available natively (although mpv is better for video IMO). There are good alternatives to MusicBee like Clementine. Many steam games are compatible with Linux nowadays, TF2 and Fistful of Frags are two of them. (pic related, about 40% of all my games on Steam natively run on Linux. You can check if a particular one does by visiting its store page)
>>
>>55469540
>>55469629
Also, you might want to cut the middle-man (Canonical) and just go for Debian Testing instead of of an Ubuntu spinoff.

If you're not feeling up for that though, Xubuntu is just fine. If your laptop is competent, it could handle any Ubuntu flavor you want though, like Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu (the latter two are the lightest ones, better suited to low power hardware or for people that want to squeeze those extra MB of RAM.), or just regular Ubuntu (which uses the Unity DE which many people, myself included, don't really like. But that's subjective).
>>
>>55469623
Ok I'll check it out.

>>55469629
> repositories
> ufw
I'm a noob user, please explain.
Thanks for the rest anyways.

>>55469652
This would be my first time using a Linux OS, then I'd like to stary with something light and simple.
>>
>>55469582
.panel-top didn't have anything in it, and adding that background-color line didn't work. The rgb/hex I have to change is probably somewhere here, so I'll figure it out. Thanks!
>>
>>55469667
You will find one of the major differences in using Linux from using Windows is this:

On Windows, you install programs by downloading an .exe from some webpage. You're trusting this .exe to not fuck up your computer or come bundled with some malicious code. That's putting a LOT of trust into this little .exe that most of the time you (or others) can't even see the code for.

On Linux, you ideally don't download random programs off of shady web pages. You install programs through the official repositories of your distribution, and sometimes trusted third party sources as well. What is a repository? Simplified, they're secure servers administered by the guys maintaining your distro (say, Ubuntu or Debian). So when you want to update stuff? Everything just gets pulled from their secure servers. You want to install VLC? It gets pulled from their secure server. Etc, etc.

Ufw stands for "Uncomplicated Firewall" and is just a user friendly front-end to something called iptables. All you need to know is that it's easy to use

Xubuntu and Lubuntu are good examples of light and simple, if by simple you mean user friendly (almost to a fault)
>>
>>55469692
I literally copied and pasted those lines from the numix repo on his github, but alright. Good luck anon.
>>
>>55469762
Okay, so
1. The basic form of the color and font size thing is in just regular panel.
2. Editing that did work for changing the color, though it only applies to the default Cinnamon theme so if I want to use Numix I'll have to edit Numix..
>>
>>55469762
>>55469964
but yeah if those instructions are straight from numix it's odd that it isn't working.
>>
>>55469964
Did you download one of the "spices" from here?

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/

If so, give me the exact name, I'll have a look.
>>
is there a way to intall linux without a usb or disk
>>
I wanna try linux is there any good vms for a laptop?
>>
>>55470061
>>55470068
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qftb2O--Y
>>
>>55470082
Thanks for the info f a m
>>
>>55469724
On linux you hope your distro didn't fetch compromised or broken source from upstream (everyone does this)
On linux you hope your distro didn't fetch perfectly good code from upstream and then fuck it up (ubuntu or debian)

>package management is PERFECT!
Upstream remains a point of failure, all the time. A sophisticated attacker could straight up fake a release and publish accurate checksums for his bugged source. Package management introduces a middle man and nothing else. Essential if you want to save disk space by sharing libraries (on a system where even the C library isn't necessarily a standard and fragmentation is a bitch). Not so great if you don't want the added risks and dependency complexity possibly holding software back from entering the repo due to conflciting versions/forks. Also, gotta love it when everything on your shit distro is compiled against an inferior library (debian, ubuntu).

of course, if linux had a well defined core API outside of the kernel API, so little shit would have to be bundled that NS-style .apps would make sense.
>>
>>55470014
I should have mentioned that.
Numix-Cinnamon-blue-2
>>
>>55470180
It's working here. Post your exact changes, maybe I didn't explain very well.
>>
>>55466315
why not configure it manually?
>>
>>55470103
You seem to have a lot of irrational hate against debian.
>>
In the gtk.css and gtk-dark.css files, I have
@define-color bg_color #051caf;
@define-color base_color #051caf;
@define-color selected_bg_color #37d0d6;
@define-color tooltip_bg_color #051caf;
/* dark color scheme */
@define-color dark_bg_color #051caf;

which succeeds in turning a bunch of other things into blue upon refresh.

In the cinnamon.css file I have

#panel {
color: #ffffff;
background color: rgba(5, 28, 175, 1);
font-size: 8.5pt;
font-weight: normal;
}

and the only change there is in the background color line.
I've also edited the arrow of the PopupMenu, which also only applies to the default CInnamon theme.
>>
>>55470522
All that stuff in cinnamon.css should go in

.panel-top { stuff } 

Don't know why your config is using ID (#) instead of class (.)

Post your popupmenu settings.

Also handy tip if you didn't know (since you mentioned logging in and out) you can use Alt+F2 and type "r" (no quotes) to restart cinnamon instantly.
>>
>>55470522
Oh shit, also you forgot the dash between background and color.
>>
>>55470584
Yeah, found that shortcut recently.
popup:
.popup-menu-boxpointer {
-arrow-border-radius: 8px;
/* -arrow-background-color: rgba(80,80,80,0.9); */ /* default */
-arrow-background-color: rgba(5,28,175,0.9); /* blue */
-arrow-border-width: 2px;
-arrow-border-color: #a5a5a5;
-arrow-base: 14px; /* 24px by default */
-arrow-rise: 14px; /* 11px by default */
}
>>
>>55470611
Oh, I was just typing instead of copy/pasting that time. Even back in #panel I have the dash.
>>
>>55470624
Well that looks fine. So, do none of your cinnamon.css changes work at all?
>>
>>55470674
The edits to both the arrow and the menu bar color work specifically for the Cinnamon theme but not Numix. I'll figure it out later since it's getting late. Thanks again!
>>
How to set up a small mail server?
>>
>>55470992
Check the wiki.
>>
>>55471133
Fuck off.
>>
>>55471133
/thread
>>
>>55471133
Thanks.
>>
>>55471133
which wiki?
>>
>>55471178
The sticky wiki
>>
>>55471182
If you can't provide help, just don't post faggot.
>>
>>55471187
Yeah because going step by step from the start will fit in a single post.

It's there for a fucking reason, why should anyone copy paste it for you?
>>
>>55471206
So we're going to point every newfriend who asks a question to google and the wiki? Fine.
>>
>>55471227
No, but should take it case by case and not fill up the thread with how to guides for mouth breathers who can't even check a wiki, be it the sticky one or the arch one.
>>
>>55471227
not that new, I just wanted to know /fglt/s opinion on what's the best way to do it... nevermind
>>
>>55471249
Your epenis must be huge.
>>
>>55470992
A bit of advice:
Setting up an email server is actually a huge pain in the ass.
You have to quite a lot of shit to make it secure and not have all sent emails immediately end up in someone else's junk folder.
>>
>>55471294
>someone else's junk folder
Isn't that the clients fault?
>>
>>55471280
Alright, have fun spoonfeeding then.

But once you start don't leave once you figure out how futile it is, and leave the threads stuck with them.
>>
>>55471322
Compatibility is a good habit.
>>
>>55471322
If your server hasn't done all of correct things, other email servers won't trust you and mark every email from you as spam.
For example, setting up DKIM keys, setting up SSL correctly and whatnot.
>>
>>55471375
Makes sense, thanks.
>>
Is it normal for compliz to use around 2gb of ram when I have 16gb?

I never go past 8gb no matter what I'm doing so it's not a big concern, but Ubuntu unity never idled above 400mb on 2gb of ram I had before
>>
how can I have more control over the packages that get installed during a standard Debian install? I don't want to go the whole Arch route of having to install every core service myself, but I also don't want the full LibreOffice suite, random media players, three different terminal emulators, all that other random shit.

Is it as simple as "expert install"?
>>
>>55470521
Libav was a mistake
>>
Isn't Linux violating the GPL with it's binary blobs?
>>
>>55471622
That's why people deblob it. There's Linux-libre, a GNU fork without any blobs, or just use Debian since their kernel also comes blob-free.
>>
Can anyone help me?
Im did a fresh Ubuntu install and I;m using nVidia drivers, I had to underscale (1920x1080 res to 1824x1026) the image to fit my screen but it's like the unity launcher and bar didn't scale with it, I have to set a panning area of 1920x1080 to see the whole thing. A shitty workaround is to set everything in nvidia-settings to 1920x1080 and change the viewport out to 1824x1026 but that results in a blurry image, is there any solution to this?
>>
>>55471928
What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>>55472240
Make everything appear inside my screen. I may not have been clear, what should I clarify?
>>
File: mercy_by_qaz2365643-da4fz83.jpg (2 MB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
mercy_by_qaz2365643-da4fz83.jpg
2 MB, 1280x1810
How can I play overwatch on linux? I tried the playonlinux battle.net install but it would constantly crash at launch of the app.
>>
I want to go in fist deep into Linux, is LFS a good choice to fry my wizard brain?
>>
>>55456625
Should I try awesome or i3 first? is there a better tilling wm?
>>
>>55472553
Choose the one you think you would like the most.
Personally I prefer awesome due to the extra features and modules you can add to it.
>>
File: 1451603149573.gif (733 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1451603149573.gif
733 KB, 500x280
So, I've had an interview today which may lead to a training/work(first job, little knowledge of Linux) position as Linux system-administrator in a medium sized business. Guess I'll be seeing a lot more of /g/ in the near future. Can anybody share their experiences with such a job? Are anime posters welcome on this board?
>>
>>55472577
thanks, I don't know why I'm so drawn to i3, almost everyone I've spoken to says awesome is better... I'm going to have to try them both I suppose.
>>
>>55472669
>tfw looking around for Linux administration work but still in school and can't do full time work so little to no jobs available

Lucky you anon.
>>
>>55472703
drop everything, use bspwm
>>
How do I get the RSA key for my SSH server from my server onto my android phone?

The SSH key is stored in a .pub file on the server but everything I use is asking for a .cert file. Wat do?
>>
>>55472722
That looks pretty horrific desu, what an earth would be the advantage of representing the windows as a bt?
>>
>>55472783
Not only. There's lots of stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U17CLayt_aA
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.