[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything wrong with getting a Chinese knock-off power
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: adapter.jpg (235 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
adapter.jpg
235 KB, 1600x1600
Is there anything wrong with getting a Chinese knock-off power adapter? I need a 90W 20V AC Adapter for my ThinkPad docking station. Does it matter if I get a fake one with the same specs versus a genuine Lenovo brand adapter? I just don't want my machine to go up in flames because I cheaped out.
>>
>>55386822
>genuie Lenovo brand adapter
>not chicnk
You do realise lenovo is a chinese brand, yes?
>>
You're always leaving your fate in the hands of Chinese factory workers. The question is how much trust you have in a brand name actually doing meaningful QC.

Get a decent multimeter and make sure its output is at least correct and consistent before plugging it in. Don't get an oscilloscope, though, because the waveform off a knock-off adapter will spook you.
>>
>>55386843
Yeah, I realiize it's all Chink shit, but maybe the genuine Lenovo brand adapter has higher quality materials?
>>
>>55386863
There's not much reason to think that. As long as it passes batch sampling tests, Lenovo would just as willingly buy from the cheapest component manufacturer in the area. They have no qualms picking from the same bins that the copycats do.
>>
Knock-off power adapters are never a good idea. Would you trust a $20 power supply in your PC?
>>
>>55386822
I bought one for a Compaq V-5000.
It doubles as an electric skillet.
>>
>>55386879
I'm using an A$29 860w power supply in my pc and it's working just fine. It's been working fine for 4 years now, been telling myself I'll replace it since they were the day I got it but it's still working fine.

>>55386822
Nah, you'll be fine. If you have any issues you'll notice on the first day and then it'll serve you faithfully for years
>>
>>55386822
Had the NEMA plug on one of those shatter and leave metal prongs stuck in the wall socket

Great way to get electrocuted
>>
>>55386927
It's not that it's a guarantee that knockoff parts will fail, but you're gambling to save a few bucks with considerably more expensive components on the line.
>>
>>55386969
> a few bucks

Chink laptop charger would cost me ~A$10 depending on the laptop.

A local third party or original one would cost 5-8 times that depending on the laptop.

Fuck Australia.
>>
>>55386879
>Knock-off power adapters are never a good idea.

Only if you're a normie.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.