[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - stupid questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: jerry1.jpg (38 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
jerry1.jpg
38 KB, 600x336
Previous Thread: >>55230571

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

take at least 10 seconds to google first
>>
is there a way to get midi files to play in chrome instead of having to download them?
>>
File: 1465259717295.jpg (614 KB, 900x703) Image search: [Google]
1465259717295.jpg
614 KB, 900x703
>>55239524
>windows 8.1
>have three screens
>icons on main screen move to the other screens whenever I restart or wake the computer up from sleep

I know this is such an old thing but I can't seem to find a fix for it anywhere

anyone have any clue how to keep this from happening?
>>
What's the best webm converter for windows 7?
>>
>>55239681
you mean vp8/9?

ffmpeg
>>
>>55239603
>icons
>on your desktop

How do you sleep at night?
>>
>>55239689
I have a lot of games

I put all my non game applications on my task bar

keeping them separate makes more sense and it's a cleaner look
>>
>>55239485
>>55239492
>>55239493
How can it happen?
How do I mitigate it?
>>
I plan to upclock a FX-8300 to 3.7ghz or 4.0ghz in a mATX case

Would water cooling be necessary?
>>
File: 51xUVKWWYSL._SX355_[1].jpg (16 KB, 355x266) Image search: [Google]
51xUVKWWYSL._SX355_[1].jpg
16 KB, 355x266
>>55239797
also the case is a n200 which has clearance for many CPU fans and also room for a front-mounted radiator
>>
I bought a Ruizu x02 b/c I fell for the meme and it's in Chinese

How do I make it not Chinese

I can't find the settings menu in English when I google
>>
I'm running cygwin and find isn't working. I've tried:
>find . *
>find -help
>/bin/find -help
>/usr/bin/find -help
And they all return a blank line
I even tried reinstalling find in cygwin to no avail. Any suggestions?
>>
>>55239834
nvm I'm retarded, they put "language" in english in the settings menu
>>
>>55239720
How does it feel to be wrong
>>
>>55239898

are you going to help or just criticize?
>>
Does anyone know how to change the behavior of keyboard buttons?
I have a t420, and right above the right/left arrow buttons are quickbuttons to go back/foward in browsers, I'd like to switch those with ctrl+pg dwn and ctrl+pg up to move between tabs
>>
>>55239689
How do you sleep at night with a neckbeard that long
>>
>>55239771
Just try Ubuntu. It's free. It's very unlikely anything other than your Windows has been compromised.
>>
>>55239957
did you even read what he wrote? he already runs ubuntu.
>>
I have some ingredients (white flour, oils) I won't be eating now that I've made vegan croissants once (after finding none in France since that one place stopped serving them). Should I turn this stuff into firestarter? Or is there a better use for it?
>>
Why do PC video games perform worse in windowed mode than they do in fullscreen mode?
>>
>>55240060
fullscreen/exclusive mode it directly controls the screen output.
in windowed mode it has to send it to the window manager first.

so windowed you have an extra layer between before you see anything on your screen.
>>
How do I see if there is a Trojan in my BIOS
?
>>
>>55240164
There isn't.
>>
>>55240016
How can croissants not be vegan?
>>
Whats the 1 2 34 meme about?
>>
>>55240172
How are you so sure?
It is possible to write a virus for BIOS.
>>
>>55240173
They're typically made with butter, and often milk and eggwash. Mine were pretty good. I through away half of them after deciding it would be illogical to eat them.
>>
>>55240199
making butter and milk and egg does not kill animals
>>
>>55240218
In practice, it does. No one is going to pay to warehouse a bunch of unproductive animals. It's not even sustainable at a loss.
>>
>>55240199
Why do vegans go to such extreme lengths?
You had to go out of your way and inconvenience yourself just to have your croissants made a certain way.
I would understand your aversion to eating them if say, they came coupled with ham or turkey inside, or something of that sort, but why does it matter if it had a few dairy products?
Do you have a medical condition affecting your diet?
>>
>>55240240
Why don't you eat poop? Oh, wait, you do! Checkmate, carnists ;)
>>
>>55240262
I didn't ask in any demeaning way
>>
>>55240240
Have some propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI
>>
>>55240305
must be an american thing. shame how you treat your animals.
>>
>>55240316
Biological facts do not vary by country.
>>
>>55240305
>>55240316
the hand up the cow backside was actually difficult to watch, had to close the tab

its a shame that eggs and milk taste so good though.
I will admit, I have noticed a very obvious different in the quality of food when I was in both Europe and Central America. Tastes much better and fresher.
>>
>>55240305
>everyone who raises animals is a cruel monster
>ignoring the fact you need happy animals to be productive
>it's a known fact stressed cows give less milk
have some reality
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/23/woman-dies-climbing-mount-everest-to-prove-vegans-can-anything/
>>
File: 1370913096576.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1370913096576.gif
486 KB, 475x347
Why does Windows 10 change wallpapers randomly when it's set to change only once per day? How can they have fucked up something so simple, and still not have fixed it? What the fuck?
>>
>>55240399
What about the others who have dies on Everest this season? It's up to seven now.
>>
>>55240060
because windows
>>
I overestimated how long a 1TB drive would last before it starts to run low on space. Should I go with another 1TB drive (maybe WD Black? Current HDD is WD Blue) or risk a 2TB drive? On the latter, how reliable are they compared to years ago?
>>
File: Untitled.png (177 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
177 KB, 1152x648
How can I underclock my GPU so that it's almost impossible to play gaems? I tried MSI afterburner, but it does not let me exceed -105 on core clock.
>>
>>55240612
don't use blacks for storage, rather get an SSD.

I'm using 2TB wd greens for 5 years now and a 8TB archive for 1 year without anything dying on me yet.
>>
If I buy a laptop that has an AMD APU processor with R5 graphics, as well as a discrete R7 graphics, do these two work together?

I mean, I know they show up as separate devices in Device Manager. What I would like to know is, if for any GPU-based program, the workload is shared between the two graphics modules.
>>
Cx600 good enough PSU for a 980 ti? Someone is selling their 980 ti for $250 so I would like to snag that ASAP.
>>
I currently have a Trojan that antiviruses can't detect. Do I need to suspect BIOS infection?
>>
/g/ should i use keepass or keepassx?
>>
>>55240847
keepass
>>
>>55240847
I'm using this, but I actually have autism:

https://www.passwordstore.org/
>>
How long does it take for a laptop to get made? I was sent an email saying it was being constructed and it's been eight business days with nothing
>>
I recently installed a VPN, connected, tested it out, but upon disconnecting it I could no longer connect to the internet at all. The computer said I had a connection and diagnostics said nothing was wrong. I couldn't connect for an hour, but now I can...

Does anyone know what gives?
>>
how do i deploy a project i made in node.js to a debian server

i can only use the commandline
>>
>>55240904
copy the files to your server and then run it in a second screen or run it with a process manager like pm2.
if it's a webservice then reverse proxy it with your webserver.
>>
File: Help.jpg (588 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
Help.jpg
588 KB, 2240x1344
How can i fix my headset's USB cable?

It does not work ATM, I know it's related to the USB because i can trigger the light on the volume switch if i jiggle it enough.

I'd try replacing it with any old USB connector, But this particular headset has audio output and audio input. I'm absolutely retarded when it comes to electronics / hardware, So if anyone could advise me as to what i should do, thank you.
>>
>>55240955
Forgot to take the joke trip off, btw.
>>
I'm shopping for a router, and I'm trying to decide between a couple. Does anyone know if the TP-LINK Talon AD7200 will give much better range or signal quality than the Archer C2600? They're both essentially identical except for the antenna configuration, except for the AD7200 having wireless in the 60Ghz range, but I don't need that.
>>
>>55240897
Cached DNS results? ipconfig /flushdns in command prompt.
>>
>>55240630
>>don't use blacks for storage, rather get an SSD.
Probably forgot to mention that I'm already using a 250GB SSD for the OS and key applications. Just limiting how many stuff I put on it after finding out that you can only write to them a certain number of times. So if not WD Black, go with Blue? Don't exactly have the money for a 1TB SSD.

In any case, do 2TB drives use a single platter (thus reducing the odds of failure) now?
>>
File: 1466278305550.jpg (77 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
1466278305550.jpg
77 KB, 600x440
Is it worth overclocking for gaming?

I have a 4690k with a NH-D15 cooler (bought mainly for silence and temps)

Stock clocks are 3.5GHz (temps 28-32) and voltage is on auto (tried it on 4.8GHz for a few minutes and voltage went to around 1.35vish

What are the best settings to use voltage wise? What reasonable overclock could I get on this and is it even worth it for gaming?
>>
>>55240987
sorry, I ment instead of getting a fast HDD you should get an SSD.

but you're looking for storage, so look at the green ones, you don't need fast disks for saving files. if blues are cheaper then go for them. the extra cash for blacks isn't worth it.

you do want to have a backup for everything you want anyway, hardware failure can always happen even for the most reliable drives.
>>
I'm trying to port forward, but I'm having a lot of trouble. I followed the instructions on portforward.com to the letter, but it still won't work
>>
>>55241038
nice blogpost
>>
>>55241038
Are you sure you need to port FORWARD and not BACKWARD?
>>
>>55241038
are you behind 2 routers? your modem might be a modem/router combo. either that or you need to open the port in the farewell.
>>
>>55241038
>>55241045
I guess I should pose it as a question. How do I port forward?
>>
>>55241059
firewall i mean
>>
File: Screenshot (4).png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4).png
2 MB, 1366x768
How do i make this my start menu on firefox?
>>
>>55241060
what's your current setup?
post screenshots of your routers port forwarding settings and any other detail, your local ip addresses, ports, etc.

are you sure you aren't behind a second ISP NAT? you can't port forward these.
your ISP could also just blocking all ports but the necessary ones.
you might want to give them a call and ask.
>>
>>55241079
options -> general -> homepage
>>
>>55241079
https://github.com/grillmaster-t28/grillmaster-t28_-_homepage-v4
Download as ZIP, Set the homepage as home.html
>>55241096
>sucking down based github's bandwidth
>>
>>55241118
>2016
>worrying about hosters bandwidth
>>
>>55240984

It was successful.

I now noticed that my static IP address has changed, you think that might have had something to do with it? Maybe my ISP noticed I was connected to a VPN and switched my normal IP?
>>
If I get a 1440 monitor, will I have any issues with things that don't natively support anything above 1080?
>>
>>55241096
thx bro
>>
How can I test my MB without a cpu?

The fan turns on, but I don't know if its working
>>
>>55241178
resolution doesn't have an impact on that unless you also run a high dpi mode. not all applications support that.
based on whatever OS you're using some programs could look washed due to scaling out or be completely misaligned.
>>
If my case already has fans in it, do I need to get more fans? The case in question is a CM Storm Trooper, and it's going to be a gaming rig.
>>
>>55239688
is there a GUI for it? I don't like typing in command prompts
>>
>>55241216
if you have a overheating problem then it could help.
>>
What's the best way to edit a webm?
I'm using webm cam and it won't let me delete frames anymore so I need to edit it manually, but fucking nothing supports webm
>>
>>55241227
it's the most powerful converter that exists, learn the few basics and you won't regret it.
>>
>>55239524

So, I have a sound system hooked up to one of my computers. I was wondering if any one can tell me of a program where I can send audio from any one device to the computer the amp is hooked up to.
>>
>>55241230
The thing isn't even built yet. The case came with 3 (iirc) preinstalled fans.
>>
>>55241243
I have used it in the past, I just don't like typing long commands with it
>>
File: 2016-06-24.png (339 KB, 2181x1193) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-24.png
339 KB, 2181x1193
How do I add the E: or F: drives to the index?

SYSTEM has 'Full Control' on each disk.
>>
>>55241227
webm for retards.
>>
>>55241238
you're better off recording/editing in a different format and then converting it.

if you have to edit this one then convert it to h264 losslessly with the fastest preset, edit it and then export it to vp8/9 webm again.
>>
This just came up in conversation:

I admin a website. If someone posts CP, do I immediately delete it or do I remove it from view but keep it on the servers so the authorities have evidence?
>>
>>55241269
are they external disks or internal ones?
you can only index internal disks.
>>
>>55241324
They are internal. Disk management marks them as 'dynamic' and 'simple volume'.
>>
File: Capture.png (89 KB, 1102x592) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89 KB, 1102x592
Decided to build a PC, as I've been stuck on my mid-range laptop for the last few years.

I intend to buy an RX 480 with the rest of the stuff in the pic, when it launches.

Any criticisms?
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Expansion-5TB-USB-3-0-3-5-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive-STEB5000100-Black-/301566783490
Good deal? Thinking about buying one since it's -$15 off on ebay so it comes out to $95 and I need an external for my Xbone
>>
File: looks like this.jpg (50 KB, 500x167) Image search: [Google]
looks like this.jpg
50 KB, 500x167
>>55239524
I got a used Dell Optiplex 390. It has a Windows 7 sticker code thing on it, and Windows 10 on the drive.

How can I do a clean install of Windows 7 or even 10 if I have to, and keep a copy to redo a clean install later?

I plan to mess with the hard drive and boot systems and I want to try and keep this free windows copy that came with my new computer. Also trying to do this legitimately, I know enough shady dudes who could get me "free" windows if that was all I wanted, but I want a copy I can call my own without the guilt.
>>
>>55241020
>>you do want to have a backup for everything you want anyway, hardware failure can always happen even for the most reliable drives.
My thoughts exactly. So far the WD portable drives haven't failed me but they're all nearly full as it is from backing up stuff from my laptop (which predates my first build). Noticed the prices for those went down a bit recently so I might invest in another in the future. At least for the files that would at the very least be a pain in the ass to replace.

For money's sake, I'll look to another 1TB internal drive. Might have to split things between "Anime/Hentai/JAVs" and "everything else". Or I could try to stop hoarding stuff. Had no idea the Danbooru Downloader folder reached 277GB in just a week.
>>
Are there any decent, simple video editors for Windows? Movie maker from what I've seen is too limited
Google as always is fucking useless
>>
>>55241548
shotcut
>>
>>55240628
why'd you want to do that? anyway just set your mobo's integrated card as default if you hate performance.
>>
So, is there a high-quality version of the switches that go into your typical mouse that I can buy somewhere?
>>
What exactly is in those compressed air cans? I sprayed it on my CPU socket with the can sideways and it sprayed some of the white chemical in the can on the CPU socket, but it evaporated away quickly. I'm probably fine, right? I don't think it was frost because it wasn't *that* cold. I can't exactly test if the motherboard is working right now, so that's why I'm asking. If I RMA the motherboard, will Asus be able to tell what I did or am I just worrying too much?
>>
I want to upgrade my CPU this summer because I feel it's bottlenecking my PC, but I don't have much money. My idea is to spend 400€ at most.

I currently have a F2A88X-D3H motherboard with a AMD A10-6800k CPU.
A friend said I should go for a Asus Z170 PRO GAMING motherboard with an Intel i5-6600K 3.5Ghz CPU, but I'd like to hear other opinions.
>>
File: Untitled.png (16 KB, 755x326) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16 KB, 755x326
>>55241081
I've called my isp. They said that they replaced my private ip with a public one, and that that would fix any problems
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (67 KB, 1823x919) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
67 KB, 1823x919
how do change background for still loading images to dark in firefox?
>>
I want to use these foam pads in my room to help isolate sound? I know nothing of acoustics but want to use em and not sure how or where I should go about doing so.
>>
>>55241552
Looks pretty good
Thanks m8
>>
>>55241581
If you can wait 5 months (max), Zen (AMD's new architecture for processors) will be out by the end of the year and could be a better value than Intel with good enough performance and fixes all AMD's past CPU issues (poor single core performance, much higher power consumption/heat output compared to Intel, etc etc). And if Zen doesn't live up to the hype, Intel's new Kaby Lake chips are supposed to be out by the end of the year as well, so you could get that or a Skylake chip for cheaper.
>>
>>55241606
It should. It's odd that they had you behind their own NAT but if they're some rinky-dink local outfit not that odd.
>>
"Local area connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration? I've already reset winsock and TCP/IP stack and updated the drivers. I can connect with wifi but not with a wired connection. Google isn't helping me
>>
Is a C# certification worth getting in addition to a bachelor's degree in CS?
>>
>>55241648
Baffling foam is like no money but if you insist on saving $5 then just cut them into a zigzag pattern and arrange them like this. They don't have to be anything close to perfect.

The only thing you need to know is that walls are flat so they bounce sound back and create an echo on microphones. You want something not flat.
>>
File: MelCat_DesertVisions.jpg (440 KB, 1800x1012) Image search: [Google]
MelCat_DesertVisions.jpg
440 KB, 1800x1012
Hello, looking for a temporary job as a programmer, prefer harder, more interesting projects.
>no graduation
>no certification

Where you would search for it?
>>
File: portabooth.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
portabooth.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>55241648
Make one of these for like $15 if you're just doing audio work. If you're doing videos and don't want a big box in front of your mouth then pony up and buy some real sound baffling material. It's cheap af
>>
>>55241752
What kind of work history / portfolio do you have? If it's not incredibly impressive you can forget about being hired to work on "harder, more interesting projects" without even a degree. You'd be lucky to be hired by anyone at all.

Instead of searching for a job I'd apply for school
>>
>>55241648
proper audio treatment foam is cut at really steep angles, the point is that the incoming sound bounces off one side of a spike, hits the other spike, and keeps bouncing deeper into the wedge without ever reflecting back out.

It wouldn't be fun to cut them all properly but def not impossible. I'd rig up a hot wire, makes cutting foam way easier

Like another anon said it doesn't have to be perfect, but if you want it to work anything at all like acoustic treatment foam than the angles have to be cut really steep.
>>
File: 1465092265075.jpg (51 KB, 457x480) Image search: [Google]
1465092265075.jpg
51 KB, 457x480
Where will be the new cutoff between an RX480 and the 1070 for a gamer's build? I'm guessing the $850 mark
>>
>>55241804
>What kind of work history / portfolio do you have? If it's not incredibly impressive
Yes, it is not incredibly impressive.

>Instead of searching for a job I'd apply for school
University planned, still.
>>
What are the advantages of deleting system32 other than being able to triforce?

â–²
â–² â–²
>>
>>55240894
should i just email to ask if it ends up being too long?
>>
wtf is my flash doing?
>>
>>55241974
Assuming you're spending $500 on all the PC components besides the video card, the RX 480 would put the total at $730 (why buy the 4gb after so much bullying Nvidiots for the 3.5 meme like games use that much memory?), and the 1070 would put the total at $930 (assuming $430 for a non reference design, using this as the example card, which is somehow in stock as of posting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127951&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Veeralava%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6202798&SID=NIS_926 ). So yeah $850 sounds reasonable, because you can skimp on some parts to get a 1070 build to $850 and buy some more premium parts that won't be bottlenecked by the 480 for $850.
>>
What is the most reliable VPN in terms of privacy and speed?
>>
File: 1466716580043.png (25 KB, 1365x767) Image search: [Google]
1466716580043.png
25 KB, 1365x767
waddup /g/
how do i make my desktop look like pic related?
i'm also using ubuntu 16.04
thanks in advance
>>
What does "::1 localhost #[IPv6]" mean in hosts file? Configure IPv6 too but disregard it?
>>
>>55242280
after the hash is a comment, so ignored
::1 is the equivalent of 127.0.0.1 rendered in ipv6, so it's the ipv6 equivalent of:

127.0.0.1 localhost

I suppose I should add that 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, which is (for reasons which are as yet unclear to me) the way a machine communicates to itself using the IP protocol suite. Setting the value of localhost is a way to name your local machine should /etc/hostname or whatever not work
>>
Anyone ever had a problem with internet speeds rapidly dropping?

I'm trying to download games on steam and I'm capping out at 250 KB/s. Whenever I restart my modem, I get about 3.0MB/s for like 2 minutes before it drops again.
>>
I just switched to umatrix from Noscript and it seems I have to whitelist certain domains like google.com on different websites even if I permanently whitelisted them before on another website. Is this how it's supposed to work?
>>
File: eww.png (42 KB, 750x616) Image search: [Google]
eww.png
42 KB, 750x616
Why is font rendering in Chrome so fucking bad and what can I do to fix it? I've noticed in on youtube and stackexchange.
>>
guys is iMac worth buying? i mean is the price fair?
>>
File: philosoraptor1.jpg (118 KB, 500x659) Image search: [Google]
philosoraptor1.jpg
118 KB, 500x659
is it worth upgrading from a 23-inch monitor to a 27 inch one
>>
File: 2016-06-25_000826_scrot.jpg (11 KB, 331x179) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25_000826_scrot.jpg
11 KB, 331x179
>>55242652
you have to select the * when whitelisting, then save your preferences.

otherwise it's on a per-site-basis
>>
>>55242822
1440p 27 inch is god tier, so yes.
>>
>>55242789
go to chrome://flags and disable directwrite and see if that helps.
>>
>>55242828
Ah thanks
>>
Hey /sqtt/, I'm reposting this here from the /fglt/ in the hopes of getting an answer to my problem.

I have a couple of TrueCrypt encrypted volumes, that I would normally access to using the following command alone:

$ sudo cryptsetup --type=tcrypt --tcrypt-hidden open /path/to/container container-name

But after entering the passphrase for the hidden volume I get the following error:

Device /dev/loop0 is too small.

HOWEVER, I figured this only happens to my 4.3gb volume, I've tried it with a smaller volume (2,1gb ) and it still works perfectly. So I tried it again on the bigger volume but this time with the --debug option, after entering the passphrase I get the following output:

>http://pastebin.com/qmWivtGi
>(had to paste it here, since it's too long for a 4chan comment)

So right now I'm lost, not knowing what to do, I've tried plenty of other commands but none have worked so far. If I may add, I've tried on both 1.6.6 and 1.7.0 versions of cryptsetup, on Debian and Xubuntu, both with 4.4.0 version of the Linux kernel.

Would seriously appreciate whatever help you can offer. Thanks in advance.
>>
Do any custom roms for the Acer Liquid Z630 exist?
>>
What's the best temperature monitoring software for Windows? It must be free, because I don't trust in cracked stuff.
>>
Anyone here use i3 windows manager?

I use it at work where my keyboard has two windows keys on both sides of the keyboard. I use windows key as mod key.

I just put it on my laptop, and I only have one mod key on the left. However, I have this tab thing key that I've never used once in my life.

In i3, can you have two $mod keys? Thx
>>
>>55242864
check on xda
>>
>>55242869
i use speedfan and speccy

aida or hwmonitor should also work
>>
>>55242093
Have you duplicated the problem in both firefox and chrome? That's the first step, if one happens but not the other it's something with the browser.

Otherwise, try a new flash version, even an old one. Or it could be your graphics driver. You windows or linux?
>>
1155 cooler with a server style mount. Found the Noctua NH-U9S et al but that's kind of expensive right now. If anyone has cheaper alternatives I'd be happy to hear them.
>>
>>55242870
*only have one windows key on the left, have one tab key on the right. Would like to use both for mod key.
>>
>>55242822
well you cant have too much monitors, that much is certain
>>
>>55242846
Holy cow thanks man :)
>>
>>55242902
Only Chrome (cramary)
Thanks
>>
>>55242822
yes, so long as the 27" isn't 1080p or less.
1080p really stops looking good enough at 27". At that size 4k becomes reasonable, and 1440p looks great
>>
>>55242954
If you want to get really fancy, you can replace all the windows font rendering with mactype or gdipp. I use mactype.
>>
Best 120g SSD to buy atm?
Need one for an old build, looking for the best bang for my buck.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 228x83) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 228x83
In Windows 10 what the hell do the "desktops" do? I though it'd be like on an android swiping through multiple desktops but all default 3 are just the same desktop as my main one.
>>
File: 871537[1].gif (1 MB, 291x320) Image search: [Google]
871537[1].gif
1 MB, 291x320
Why is a device connected to a network called a "host?"
>>
>>55243059
open some windows then try again

>>55243034
samsung intel or sandisk
>>
>>55242995
>replace all the windows font rendering
how do I into this
>>
File: 101551491611965.jpg (41 KB, 420x262) Image search: [Google]
101551491611965.jpg
41 KB, 420x262
all files i dl from mega are corrupted, what do? ff, with and w/o addon, files are 100% good
>>
>>55241734
Bump please
>>
>>55243095
with mactype, I mean
>>
>>55243095
google it, man.

You're also going to have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly with chrome though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/3l49gm/how_to_using_mactype_with_chrome_45/

I only include that link because it might be marginally hard to find otherwise.
>>
what's the most durable drive with consistent speeds? The last time i checked it was WD black in 2012 but noone sells them here.
>>
>>55242870
still looking for an answer
>>
>>55241568
Tetrafluoroethane. It's not harmful, it just gets real cold and evaporates. What you saw was frost, but a very small amount of it.
It doesn't damage anything. I used to have a Dell that overheated like a motherfucker and I would spray that stuff on the heat sink to flash cool it. Lasted about a year of that abuse.
>>
>>55243176
Fuck, nevermind.
>>
>>55243225
please leave.
>>
>>55243247
Wait what? He answered my question. He can stay.
>>
Someone hacked into my minecraft account (don't really play it though), but im curious how they did it. The email they've changed it into had keylogger in name, so that might be it. Would like some tips on avoiding similar things in the future.

>inb4 he plays minecraft and is 12yrs old cuck
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466799022984.jpg (25 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466799022984.jpg
25 KB, 1000x563
Talk me out buying a pentium g4400 and a RX 470

Just heard some rumors about intel postponing kaby lake to q1 2017
>>
Is there not a fucking linux general rn? I can't find it...
>>
I just bent some pins on my motherboard's socket. Then I tried to fix them and bent a bunch more. They haven't made the motherboard in years. What do.
>>
>>55243287
Why would you get a Pentium
>>
>>55243320
Because it cost half of the weakest i3
>>
>>55243287
As games become more demanding, the rx 470 probably will be a worse value than the rx 480 due to the performance of the 470 making you want to upgrade sooner. But we don't even have any benchmarks for the 470, you'd better just wait.

>>55243310
Buy a used motherboard with the same socket and is compatible with all your parts?
>>
2011-v3 or 1151?
>>
how long is too long for a fresh windows 7 sp1 to "check for updates"

rebooted after 30 minutes, then let it run for 5 more hours

still checking for updates.
>>
Could a long (25 feet) 3.5mm to RCA cable be the cause of a hissing sound on my stereo?

I only hear the hissing when i have the volume over 50%.

when i switch it to another mode for TV watching (6ft rca to rca TV to stereo hook up) i get no hissing sound at all, even when I'm watching something off my PC via HDMI (the stereo gets the sound off the TV not directly from the PC in this mode)
>>
File: baconjpg.jpg (42 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
baconjpg.jpg
42 KB, 640x425
Oi /g. Quick question.
Is there a video player in wchich you can cut clips simultaneously with playback? Like, "aah good part. I want to cut that part".
If not, why?
>>
>>55243358
There might be tons of updates for Windows 7 depending on your install version. Try check disk too just in case.
>>
File: 51l-Ij3racL.jpg (33 KB, 357x500) Image search: [Google]
51l-Ij3racL.jpg
33 KB, 357x500
Is there any danger in internationally shipping SSDs? I want to know because I'm looking at buying one off amazon US for like half the price of buying locally (NZ)
>>
>>55243272
get keyscrambler
>>
>>55243359
>Could a long (25 feet) 3.5mm to RCA cable be the cause of a hissing sound on my stereo?

yes, that is an extremely long cable for that kind of connection

I would suggest trying to get digital spdif from whatever your music source is (optical or coaxial) along with a cable, and then buying a like $15 dac to put right next to the stereo. then a 1 foot 3.5mm/rca cable will do. Probably cost about 30 burger dollars if you care enough to make it sound nice but it should get rid of a bunch of distortion.

a cheaper option is to look for a source of interference. I had a dimmer switch line going by an audio cable, and turning the switch off made the distortion disappear. space heaters, other power lines, try moving stuff.
>>
>>55243434
No if it's properly packed. If the Amazon is seller then it should be.
>>
Someone please convince me to not build a new PC for $1200. I make 15k after taxes as a student but I try to save as much money. My parents pay for food and rent so I'm good on that. I just can't find a reason not to build a mini itx computer with this new rx480 being so fucking cheap. Fuck me.
>>
>>55243454
Yeah I'll be buying off amazon, thanks for the reply
>>
I want to run Xposed Framework over Chroma on my Nexus 6. I've been flashing the ARM.zip but it keeps saying its not compatible with my processor. What do I do?
>>
when is clover getting an update?
its reching the point of being uselessly buggy and crashy all of a sudden
>>
What's a good FM antenna? Something a step up from a typical dipole.
>>
>>55243434
Packages are normally designed to handle the stresses of being in a shipping container, which means high heat and humidity and a lot of bumps along the way. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (76 KB, 1280x813) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
76 KB, 1280x813
In this picture, what is the key between the windows key and ctrl key called?! And what's it keycode?

I'm trying to map it to mod4 in i3 but no luck...
>>
>>55243440
thanks senpai,
i think i'm gonna give this one a try
https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS
>>
and today's dumbest question is:
I want to use clonezilla to clone one drive to another, seemed straight forward enough from youtube but when I got to picking a source drive and a destination I realized I didn't know how to tell the two identical sized, identical model hdds apart. how do?
>>
>>55243734
dont use clonezilla
acronis is absolutely perfect, never failed me single time
you need to torrent it though... acronis true image...

dont remember clonezilla, used it like 6 times, failed like half the time...
>>
Posted this is /spg/ but I think maybe this thread would be more appropriate.

Should I get an S7? I plan to purchase one soon.

I want a good camera, good storage and good overall usage. Any cons I should know about and any recommendations/advice on it?
>>
>>55243547
use xev to find out keycodes..

that one is
bindcode 135 ...
>>
File: 1462847167662.jpg (151 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1462847167662.jpg
151 KB, 612x380
>>55239524
I discoreded I can use ms azure 4free. what can I do with it?
>>
>>55243358
theres bug with win7 updates
last time it was litterally 20 hours for updates to get done

install before going online KB3102810 and KB3083710

check this for more
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4nwtz4/quick_fix_for_slow_windows_7_update/
>>
>>55243833
Buy the unlocked version. It will get updates faster, or relatively faster for a Samsung device.
>>
In qemu/kvm can a pci passthrough device (like a gpu) be controlled by the host system when the guest isn't activated?
I guess what I'm asking is can I use the same graphics card with both the host and guest, respectively without manually assigning and unassigning the darn thing
>>
File: Speecy.png (44 KB, 951x726) Image search: [Google]
Speecy.png
44 KB, 951x726
Does it matter if I get a cheap thermal paste ?

I'm getting sky high temperatures ( 90 F on idle, 140 F on load) with the stock intel cpu cooler + fan, so I guess I gotta change the paste and maybe add more fans. Any recommendations?
Pic related, my temps.
>>
Would an HD 7850 work in a Studio XPS 8000?
>>
I want to remove all children from a scene (remove the enemies) once the game is over in swift. When I use removeFromParent it only deletes the enemy that killed you to end the game. How do I delete all of the fuckers I've been stuck on this for two days please help do I need to give all the enemies an ID and then delete all spawn enemies at the end or what please help.
>>
During the TOEFL iBT test, do you take notes on paper, or on the computer?
>>
1070 finally being shipped. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but really needed to upgrade. Is it silly to stick with the 1080p 144hz monitor I already have? It was a hand me down. Say I get into a game a year from now, and having it maxed I will only pull 80 fps, will the monitor be able to keep up or will it get weird?
>>
>>55244164
>not a hardcore gamer
>having a 144hz monitor
Stick with 1080p unless you hate the monitor and can afford a new one.

Not sure what you mean by a monitor "not keeping up" though.

What's your priority? quality graphics or max fps? Your decisions should be pretty clear if you know the answer to that.
>>
I need something right around $15 on amazon to get free shipping, what's something useful and entirely not frivolous?
>>
>>55244211
I just didn't know if frames have to be near the refresh rate for it to look nice and not tear. Not real clear on how it all works. Priority would be smoothness, I figured I could enjoy the quality graphics for a while, but when games push my PC harder, I could drop graphics to keep frame rates up. Haven't found a clear resource to fully explain how all of these things tie in together, as in monitor hz, and fps
>>
>>55243994
How about you use celsius and try again. Those are not high temps for a stock cooler at all.
>>
I'm not very computer literate so if I come off as stupid I apologize beforehand. I have a computer monitor that I have connected to my laptop through HDMI unfortunately I now have two devices I want connected to my monitor but unfortunately I only have 1 HDMI port. I figured it's better getting another cable then buying a splitter because I was worried about latency issues with excess connections. So I bought a HDMI to displayport cable but unfortunately it didn't work. I did some quick googling and I found out they weren't too compatible so I bought a HDMI to DVI-D (dual link) cable and I still can't get my monitor to recognize my laptop.

Not sure what to do here. Is my fears of latency issues unfounded or is there a fix with the dvi/displayport cables I'm missing?
>>
>>55244305
>unable to convert temperatures in his head
>>
Is there a business or something where I can pay someone to build a PC for me? If it comes down to it I’ll just buy a new desktop from system76 and hope for the best. I'm inpatient and want a new and better desktop this month
>>
>>55244021
That board has a PCIe 1.0 slot, right? It should be backward compatible with a 7850, but it will have poor performance.
>>
>>55244514
Literally thousands of them everywhere on the internet. Disable adblocker, one will probably slap you in the face within ten minutes.
>>
How do I tell if there is a Trojan in my laptop's BIOS?
>>
How can I hide my computer from my ISP? They sent a notice about me torrenting but I need programs to use for work and such, many of them are way too expensive like Sony Vegas and Photoshop CS5 and I'm too poor at the moment to buy them, college draining all my money.
Or what's a good. iSP that doesn't hound on torrenting? Currently on Comcast/TWC.
>>
>>55244514
Where do you live?
I'll build you one for 25% of total cost, plus $25/hr
>>
Will reinstalling OS on my PC remove all rootkits?
>>
>>55244590
Will not if it has rootkits integrated in that OS and rootkits elsewhere than on HDD.
>>
File: 1466279994269.png (1 MB, 700x1030) Image search: [Google]
1466279994269.png
1 MB, 700x1030
I record art streams when sleeping and end up with 9hr recordings where 4hrs are just [STREAM HAS ENDED]
What's an easy and fast way to snip those off the end?
>>
>>55244734
video editor
>>
File: _20160625_111317.jpg (24 KB, 1080x170) Image search: [Google]
_20160625_111317.jpg
24 KB, 1080x170
>Can cause playback issues on some devices

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>55244734
ffmpeg or mp4box will cut at keyframes without having to re-encode
>>
File: temps.png (60 KB, 1910x726) Image search: [Google]
temps.png
60 KB, 1910x726
>>55244305
Here, anon. Notice how the only difference is in the CPU. I'm only using the stock cooler and the paste it had.
>>
>>55244734
Who is she?
>>
>>55243340
>2011-v3 or 1151?
2011 v3 is expensive and less common to find. 1151 is more available
>>
>>55244837
Some devices may have playback issues, when using the gapless playback option
>>
>>55241495
http://0bin.net/paste/8eIx0EPgKLUtdtpJ#RhahYIVWRPd68jwZEKd3dDR+uJ2l9QeTFuwMp-Ra9T5
>>
>>55244612
>Will not if it has rootkits integrated in that OS
What do you mean? It's Windows 10 image downloaded from Microsoft website.
>rootkits elsewhere than on HDD.
such as in BIOS?
>>
>>55244922
But why? What is so arduous about gapless playback?
>>
File: 1466490357277.png (304 KB, 506x589) Image search: [Google]
1466490357277.png
304 KB, 506x589
>>55244858
thanks m8 exactly what I was looking for
>>55244898
idk got it off of /a/ just sauceNAO it
>>
>>55244552
vpn
>>
ik im new... but when setting up fans for the cooling in a pc case, intake fans blow air towards the parts, right? but it seems silly to basically put the fan blowing out the case for exhaust. is that right?
intake=toward the case
exhaust=out the case?
>>
File: des.png (16 KB, 421x486) Image search: [Google]
des.png
16 KB, 421x486
I want to create a new JSON property, or rather add onto an existing property the parameter of the function prop. Problem is that when I look at the new created prop it outputs pic related. Showing prop as a string, I want prop to be a variable string.

function updateRecords(id, prop, value) {

if(!collection.hasOwnProperty(id[prop])){
if(value === undefined){
return collection;
}

collection[id].prop= value;
}

return collection;
}
>>
I built a computer yesterday and tried turning it on it runs fine but the monitor stays in "power save mode". I tried said monitor on my laptop and it comes on just fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I've tried most google solutions. Its an old vga monitor should i just buy a new one?
>>
>>55244981
You need an intake and an outtake. One fan could do this technically. But most cases aren't built for that.
>>
>>55244981
All fans are in side the case
You want positive pressure.
This is going to be wrong, but basically
The front fans put in air 50% of the way, and the exhause sucks in that air puts it out,grabing any residual hot air(around your cpu and ram)
>>
>>55244998
Reseat your gfx card, and check the cable you're using
>>
>>55244993
collection[id][prop] = value;
>>
>>55245059
Oh. How trivial. Thanks.
>>
would you pay $25 more for the FX-8320 over the FX-8300? I know that basically the only difference in the FX-8300 series is the clock speed, and I could overclock eventually.

The FX-8320 also comes with a copy of Total War: Warhammer, but I've never played a Total War game so that isn't a massive selling point for me.
>>
>>55244959
Mind point me in the right direction to set one up? Networking isn't my strong suit. Don't wanna Google VPN or proxy servers with them breathing down my neck now, they've never bothered me about torrenting years ago before.
>>
Can anyone recommend a youtube series or something like that to learn how to do cool shit with a ti-84? I'm starting Calc 2 on Monday, and I don't even know how to graph with it.
>>
Will a r7 360 bottleneck an i7 980
>>
Do you know those web pages that display an image that fills the browser window, and you scroll down for additional text (pic related)?

How is that done? CSS? At least tell me what it's called.
>>
Will reflashing BIOS and reinstalling OS remove all rootkits on my PC?
>>
>>55245105
>Don't wanna Google VPN or proxy servers with them breathing down my neck now
This is an insane level of paranoia. If you don't do a lot of torrenting, look at Cloudnymous. They charge by the day or gigabyte. I don't torrent a lot, so every now and then, I'll pay 25 cents for the day and download a couple movies or what not. That might be what you're looking for
>>
File: tmp_2438668b234370290.jpg (130 KB, 1024x719) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2438668b234370290.jpg
130 KB, 1024x719
>>55239524
Gtx 680 4gb, or gtx 570 sli for a 1600p display?
>>
>>55245127
>Will a r7 360 bottleneck an i7 980
The GPU is what would be bottlenecked, but the i7 is just good enough that it should allow the GPU to do its thing. The i7 will not make the r7 perform better though. If you want better graphics performance, you buy a new GPU.
>>
what can I do on windows 7 that I can't do on windows 10

aside from the telemetry stuff, I guess, that's a given at this point
>>
>>55245220
Disable updates
>>
>>55244858
not him but can you explain how this is done? I always use -ss and -to in ffmpeg and it seems very precise, probably not using a keyframe.
>>
>>55245232
i have been trying to install updates for 10 hours on windows 7 now

they went and sabotaged it to convince you w7 is old and busted
see >>55243884

i just want all the .net shit and compatibility shit and all the other bloat you need for muh video games
>>
>>55243994

Shameful bump. Any help?
>>
>>55245187
>>55245127
Basically, you're not going to notice the difference too much unless you're coming from a Pentium or old i3 or something. If you had say the 980, then you would absolutely want the best CPU possible. Otherwise it will not matter much for games.

If you're just trying to upgrade for better gaming performance on the r7 360, you should just get an i5. If you're getting the i7 with the intent of getting a better graphics card later, go for it. Otherwise it would be a waste
>>
>>55245244
You have to use -vcodec copy if you don't want it to re-encode, otherwise it will cut to the exact frame and re-encode.
>>
>>55245275
so just to clarify, that will override my seeking, and "round" to a near keyframe?
>>
>>55245290
Yeah, it will go to the keyframe before the starting seek and the keyframe after the ending seek
>>
>>55245153

>>55245153

someone pls answer this it's really happening to me. it's not a theoretical question
>>
So, I've got myself a 1tb Intel 540s m.2 drive, that I thought would simply plug into a $10 case and be done with.

My question is;
The M.2 drive is described as 2280 D3, stress on the D3 aspect, being double sided and .15mm taller (or butt-fatter?) than D2 specifies.
If I get a case that supports 2280 D2, would it still fit or does that D2/D3 matter only for laptop motherboards and component clearances?
>>
>>55240955
>wanting to replace a part on a 20$ logitech headset
>>
>>55245259
You dont need windows update to install .net, xna and directx. There are downloadable offline installers.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.