[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much is reference gpu wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Ok let's say I am a nVidia fag. And I can't wait to buy the new 1070. As now there are almost only founders edition gpus (ex reference) which should have a worse cooling system, a basic pcb and basic memory.
how much retard would I be if I buy one?
pcb is not always replaced by oems, cooling system is not worse but different, and memory.....come on, is it really so much better? I think is not that big deal, and I also like the design. prove me I am wrong
>>
>>55147660
>prove me I am wrong
i won't, the founder edition was made for people like you.
>>
>>55147660

As a rule of thumb, one should wait for good, reference-cooled cards in order purchase the most efficient iteration of a particular GPU.

Now, I am begging you, fuck off to /v/ you amd/nvidia shills, all of you.

I can only fucking imagine the shitpost rage in store for this board once the 480 is released and reviewed.
>>
Reference chips aren't binned meaning you could be lucky enough to get one that can be OC'd up to 2.1ghz.

AIBs seem to be binning their chips and using worse ones in the cheaper cards.

The reference cooler is surprisingly good and quiet compared to older reference cards. However, you'll get 5-10fps more without an overclock from AIB cards, while keeping the card on average 10-20degrees cooler.
>>
The problem with reference cards is that while the chip could overclock pretty high it will fail to maintain those clocks, thermal trotting can be fixed with a custom fan curve and proper case airflow, the real problem is the power limit, Nvidia strictly enforced the TDP in the bios file, and an extra value usually higher than the TDP, this is the Power Limit % you see in applications like MSI Afterburner, usually its around 8% higher or so.
The issue is that even with that extra power the card will still throttle in some games.
Examples, the Reference GTX970 TDP is set at 140watts.
The G1 Gaming GTX970 TDP is set to 250watts with a second value of 280watts(the % you can increase is this)
To get this card to maintain stable clocks of 1519mhz at 1.212v no matter what you need to increase the TDP to 300watts.

Aftermarket cards usually have higher power limit on the bios themselves which is why they can overclock better.

The real solution would be to increase that number even more which can only be done with a BIOS mod, the 6pin isn't really a problem, a 6pin plug can pull more than 75watts no problemo, anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong, its even part of the specifications for the wires and the plug itself.

The problem would the power phases which if they suck they wouldn't be able provide consistent power even with a modded bios and having to mod the bios, the bios flashing tool is already out but we have no Pascal Bios Tweaker tool available yet, you could do it with a hex editor if you have the knowledge though.

In the end even if you get a reference model you will be able to get good performance out of them once bios modding becomes easier.
>>
>>55147660
I bought the reference 1080. I used to overclock my system and all that shit year ago. Now I absolutely don't care. I can't hear the card, It's not running any hotter than my previous card (one of those fugly gigabyte with tripel fans)
I don't regret my purchase.
>>
>>55147686

>i won't, the founder edition was made for people like you.

i would rather wipe my ass with that hundred then get cucked by FE
>>
>>55147660
Thats not the only thing. Nvidia can deliver their GPUs now, but only a few of them are produced yet. Thats why they charge this kind of early adopter tax and people still buy it. AMD can't compete with anything. If you buy these shitcards now you support this and it seems you want to pay 1000 € for a mainstream GPU in the future.

The prices will drop until AMD can deliver their products and more GPUs have been produced. The reference 1070 doesn't only feature a shitty, incomplete PCB, they also saved on the cooler and removed the Vapor Chamber but still charge a huge "premium" bonus.

I'm going to buy the ACX 3.0 EVGA 1070 unless it costs more than 450 €.
>>
>>55147660
>>55147952
My founders 1080 goes to 2.019GHz, that's higher than the reported overclocked speeds of some
AIB cards. Pascal doesn't care about extra power phases, the only thing you should look for in a card is the cooler (looks and noise, because temps aren't really an issue) and chip binning.
>>
>>55148489
Reference cards being more expensive than Aftermarket cards has always been a thing you newfag, now the exorbitant price increase is a retailer problem and has nothing to do with Nvidia.

The same happened with AMD's 7970 and 290X.
>>
Facing a similar problem. I can get an EVGA 1070 founders edition for the same price (even cheaper then some) as non-founders cards.
It's very tempting... And I like the look of the founders edition more than any of the others.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.