[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have to teach some interns and new hires how to admin a 16
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: tl.png (168 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
tl.png
168 KB, 420x420
I have to teach some interns and new hires how to admin a 16 CPU core/256GB RAM SuSE 11 SP4 server and not fuck it up, does /g/ have any recommendations on what to do? It's a sandbox so it won't impact business if they fuck it up but it will be a pain in the ass/waste of time for me to fix it.

>only one guy has Linux experience and its minimal
>already got them all accounts with SSH keys and had them test Xming with xclock/xeyes told them to look but not touch
>figure I need to send them links on the basics of Linux volumes, basic commands at terminal, permissions
>package updates shouldn't be that big of a deal (I'll handle)
>specifics of the software we're going to be using

Am I missing anything basic from a system administration perspective here?
>>
Basic networking?
>>
What prevents you from making them work in virtual machines with snapshots on their own desktop first?
>>
>>55008801
It's all admin'ed through a vSphere infrastructure and a simplified control panel at that. virtual hostnames are as simple as filling out a form and then clicking attach and poof they're attached. There won't be a DNS entry without filling out the form so I can't teach them how to do that manually unfortunately. I will make sure they understand the benefits of installing the server software against a virtual hostname instead of physical though.
>>
>>55008812
A) The laptops we get generally only have 8GB of RAM, there's some contention for server resources.
B) Sandbox instances of 32GB or less of RAM are non-billable (i.e. free of cost to my team) so I can have them play around in sandbox instances to run some basic commands (e.g. use VIM to write a file in your home directory called "hello_world" with the contents "Hi [anon]" and change the ownership to [myuser]:[my user group]. That's actually a pretty good idea.

Still, the sandbox systems won't run the server application we need so it'll only be a basic test of linux skills and not the ones required to run the system
>>
>>55008854
To clarify the term "Sandbox":
None of the systems are productive, but we have to pay for the resources of the 256GB system for the team.

The interns/new hires can create 32GB SuSE instances free of charge for themselves to fuck around in (these are called sandboxes in the infrastructure) but they won't run the application that the interns/new hires will have to maintain (32GB is not enough to run the application)
>>
>>55008854
Alright.
Well you should start by teaching them how to navigate the filesystem using the CLI and tell them man is their new best friend and that they need to use / to search something in it, give them a couple of cheatsheets (command line, file hierarchy, ...) and work from there. Output redirection, Permissions, package manager, config files, daemons, logs, ssh, tmux and finally have them configure their own service like ftpd or apache for example. Maybe have them read up about iptables as well.
That's how they taught us Linux administration in school and even the people that never touched it ended up kind of knowing what they were doing in the end (enough to not rm -rf / their system).
>>
File: kill self.png (550 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
kill self.png
550 KB, 720x540
>>55008780
>Am I missing anything
hiring me

>tfw work in IS
>windows workstations :)
>windows servers :)
>embedded windows at POS :^)

tempted to bring opensuse on usb to work and just image my windows workstation to a .vhd for our windows-specific applications. Only thing stopping me right now is the idea of running samba in a professional environment
>>
>>55009151
You unemployed or in a job you don't like?
Company I work for hires in a variety of areas, not sure how many Windows Server admins we need though.
>>
>>55010090
Not a server admin, just an average IS lackey. I loath even looking at windows server, working with active directory on a daily basis is painful enough. I think I'd kill myself if I had to admin our company, but that has more to do with our physical network layout than the fact that we run some version of windows on every machine. I live in the sanfran/lower norcal area, but I'm probably not qualified for much.
>>
>>55009151
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55008780
>does /g/ have any recommendations on what to do?
If you're asking this website then you're probably already fucking it up.
>>
Just let them sit in on when you do shit while explaining why you do it and ask them questions to see if they got it. Then step by step let them do more and more shit. Have you faggots never been employed before? This is how it works in every job
>>
>>55008780
>Xming
>gui on a server
>>
>>55010515
Certain administration tools for the software that they have to maintain require a graphical interface. Without a DE on the server, they need to export the display and run an X Server on their Windows based laptops in order to see it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.