[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: 1464568324574.png (833 KB, 731x512) Image search: [Google]
1464568324574.png
833 KB, 731x512
Previously on: >>54991636

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
File: 1.png (282 KB, 731x512) Image search: [Google]
1.png
282 KB, 731x512
>>55007807
your .png is now optimized
>>
>unironically using Linux
ISHYGDDT
>>
File: 1461386631319.jpg (427 KB, 1250x802) Image search: [Google]
1461386631319.jpg
427 KB, 1250x802
Original here: http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnulove.en.html
>>
>>55007824
>unironically not using Linux
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>55007824
why not? it just works, it's nice.
>>
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43

>In 1998 when a United Airlines plane was waiting in the queue at Washington Dulles International Airport for take-off to New Orleans (where a Usenix conference was taking place), one man stood up from his seat, demanded that they stop waiting in the queue and be permitted to deplane. Even after orders from the crew and a pilot from the cockpit he refused to sit down. The plane exited the queue and returned to the airport gangway. Security personnel ran onto the plane and removed this man, Richard Stallman, from the plane. After Richard was removed from the plane, everyone else stayed onboard and continued their journey to New Orleans. A few OpenBSD developers were on that same plane, seated very closeby, so we have an accurate story of the events.

How does /fglt/ feel about this?
>>
>>55007883
>http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43
what is this? autism central?
>>
>>55007920
They always do a song for fun each release and usually include some commentary.
>>
File: LinusTor.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
LinusTor.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>55007883
>>55007920
>>55007965
based, only unironic communists shill for Stallman
>>
>>55007965
I am talking about the comics and the stuff they assume. rms is an atheist or at least agnostic, so no "god given role", they quote the four freedoms in a wrong way to push their agenda, they also said nothing about the context of this incident in 1998 (assuming that it actually happened). they also say he lies to the public without any sort of proof.
now move to some other thread and try "trolling" there, this just doesn't belong here.
>>
>>55008038
I only asked what /fglt/ thought of it because it directly relates to stallman.
>>
>>55007883
Today's BSD community should be thankful. Without RMS beeing annoying back in the 80s, BSD would still be proprietary trash. BSD and GNU were friends and worked together at the beginning. You can see this in many referenced code and programs on todays's GNU/Linux systems. I don't understand how the BSD community converted into such a bunch of butthurt people.
>>
>>55008036
>media getting shit wrong
what about alan cox? what about everyone who contributed to Linux? what about the people who contributed to GTK, Qt, GNU, X...?
calling Linus torvalds the creator of the "Linux operating system" is like calling Steve jobs the creator of BSD.
>>
>>55008122
Do you want me to make a collage?
>>
>>55008102
>I don't understand how the BSD community converted into such a bunch of butthurt people.
it's the same everytime
people can't stand critics, they take critic as insults and need to "fight back"
same with people who call it "linux" instead of "gnu/linux", they feel insulted and start hating rms for he is the root of the word
>>
File: bait4.png (122 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait4.png
122 KB, 625x626
>>55008122
>>
>>55008156
>can't argue
>better call it b8
>>
"It doesn't really _matter_ what people call Linux, as long as credit is
given where credit is due.
Personally, I'll very much
continue to call it "Linux"
-- Linus, while fapping in 1996
>>
So I gotta ask because I put Xubuntu on a system with a haswell processor which has integrated intel 4600 hd graphics.

Is this iGPU so shit it can't do 1080p at 60fps on youtube or am I doing something wrong? I'm using compton as a compositor because otherwise, tearing and shit.
>>
>>55008275
>Guy creates linux kernel, the "key stone" of the new operating system, tying together all other parts
>Distributions are created, all referring to the OS by what most deem the most important part, "linux"
>RMS feels upset, brings about a campaign to get all distros to change names to "GNU/Linux" as it is more correct
>Not only does he want them to change the names though, he also wants them to pretend like they have always been called "GNU/Linux" since day one

I don't mind the official naming being changed to suit his autism, but the requirement that everyone pretend that it's the *only* name and has always been that way is off the spectrum.
People are going to continue referring to it colloquially as "Linux" until the heat death of the universe, deal with it.
>>
>>55008355
where did he say that? please provide context.
>>
File: 1442532417928.png (184 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
1442532417928.png
184 KB, 650x700
>>55008355
>Guy creates linux kernel, the "key stone"
OK, kid.
>>
File: 12670803.jpg (50 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
12670803.jpg
50 KB, 960x540
Newfag here.
How can I make my home folder accessible in the home network?
>>
>>55008390
A chair without legs is no more a chair than a pile of bricks is a house.
FSF wanted to make their own complete OS, saw that Linux made the kernel quite quickly and thought "well shit, it can't be that difficult, let's just finish it".

They then realised that they were too stupid to finish their own kernel, got upset, and wanted to plaster their name over a project they were literally unable to finish.

>>55008373
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch10.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2003/1/12/55

Is that enough to satisfy you, my good man?
RMS didn't go after the name until linux blew GNU out of the water, and their own attempts failed hilariously.

The FSF is no better than patent trolls.
>>
kek:
>Everybody loves freedom, and GPL is freedom so everybody loves GPL. In recent years there has been a disturbing trend of typos in software license headers, people accidently write BSD or MIT or even Apache (the letters are like right next to eachother). Since we know they are reasonable individuals who love freedom just like us, we know they will love our help in fixing their accidental typos with this shiny new script.
https://github.com/cjdelisle/fixlicense

>>55008492
go home bait
>>
>>55008390
Linux is widely used without GNU.
>>
>>55008355
RMS was swagging the tech when Linus was still shitting in his pants, bro.
>>
File: 1446507316903.jpg (208 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
1446507316903.jpg
208 KB, 630x421
>>55008602
Embedden in toasters and dishwashers, yes.
>>
>>55008492
>I think we started in 1994 (although mostly privately until 1996).
>While some viewed descriptions of Linux as a "variant" of the GNU Project as politically grasping, Murdock, already sympathetic to the free software cause, saw Stallman's request to call Debian's version GNU/Linux as reasonable. "It was more for unity than for credit," he says.
next time use a source that supports your claim
>it turned out that debugging these asynchronous multithreaded programs was really hard.
kek
>>
>It's the Linus vs RMS time of the day.
Stop being retarded faggots, if you're insecure, read about the history of GNU and Linux and educate yourself. "Hurr durrr you're wrong." leads to nothing.
>>
>>55008455
Bump
>>
>>55008667
which OS needs to access it? if it should be compatible, use samba.
>>
>>55008685
Linux to Linux. What I want is something like windows' network drive embedded into my thunar
>>
>>55008647
>Stop being retarded faggots, if you're insecure, read about the history of GNU and Linux and educate yourself.
Agreed.
>"Hurr durrr you're wrong." leads to nothing.
Well, it's important. Most people think their OS was made by a student just for fun, while historically it was made by RMS so people can have a free operating system. Both, Linus and the GNU project made an incomplete OS, thrown together it's GNU/Linux, the perfect ground for political discussions, but it simply isn't Linux, since Linux is just a part of the OS.
>>
>>55008702
>Thunar
surely you mean pcmanfm senpai
>>
File: CMON.png (144 KB, 268x336) Image search: [Google]
CMON.png
144 KB, 268x336
>>55008720
>mfw it replace f a m with dweebshit
ok that's it im quitting posting on 4bongz
>>
Should I replace XFCE with KDE.

It just seems like a way more complete/professional experience than all the other options. I hated how it looked in the past, but the newest version looks slick as fuck. I know it has a reputation for being bloated, but does that really matter anymore in >CURRENT_YEAR ?
>>
File: 1462584742355.jpg (1 MB, 2311x1730) Image search: [Google]
1462584742355.jpg
1 MB, 2311x1730
>>55008720
>>55008702
>using a graphical file manager
>>
>>55008786
Fuck off
>>
>>55008785
straight sway cunts use unity
>>
>>55008809
>straight sway
wot m8
>>
>>55008785
KDE is better only if you are using their latest releases.

KDE is the fucking best
>>
>>55008713
Is it important how distros label things, and the nomenclature used by technical documentation?
Yes, of course.

Is it important how people informally refer to the operating system?
No, not at all, yet this is what seems to rustle your jimmies so hard.

Nobody runs around screaming
>You can't call it just windows, it's Microsoft™ Windows
>Calling it windows is confusing because windows is already a term for applications are displayed graphically

Everyone manages to get around that "confusing" matter just fine, so when someone calls it Linux and the context makes it 100% clear that they mean an OS and not a kernel, you have no reason to complain.

The interjections are a meme, but they're also not, a lot of FSF followers really are that autistic, and we're not going to pander to their requirements.
>>
>>55008785
GNOME>KDE imo. xfce only makes sense if you pair it with a tiling WM or if you got a shitty computer and can't handle anything more minimal.
>>
>>55008785
kde is the best desktop environment with version 5.6.4. Stable, fast and feauture rich. There also is the papirus suite which makes it look really good.I for one use gnome since I gotten used to it and I like the headerbars and modern feel to it. On my desktop I've gotten rid of gtk2 and 3 and only use qt since it's a beast of a toolkit.
>>
>>55008846
>we're
fuck off to reddit
>>
>>55008857
I use gnome on my laptop. I dont understand the hate it gets. It uses minimum config files and looks modern as fuck and can be extended with extensions. It also has the best integration with owncloud and dav. I use gnome-calendar/contacts/todo with geary mail and feedreader.
>>
File: 1460774047779.png (95 KB, 1366x545) Image search: [Google]
1460774047779.png
95 KB, 1366x545
>>55008857
>>55008895
>>
>>55008895
i use a lot of gnome software myself even if i am on dwm, there is some really good stuff in gnome, i just don't need most of it.
>>55008904
what are you trying to say?
>>
>>55008871
>papirus suite
Tell me more
>>
>>55008846
>100% clear that they mean an OS and not a kernel,
You think that the Linux OS and the Linux kernel are two different things? But that's wrong! A kernel is an operating system; if you refer to Linux, you're always referring to the kernel. The problem is that people don't use the kernel alone, since it's only a part of GNU/Linux. The other parts come from the GNU project, which itself is also an operating system and actually the root of everything, with Linux (or any other kernel) on top of it. Also, naming like Windows or OS X doesn't work with free software, where many people put together their projects to create something complete: You can't tell a Debian GNU/kFreeBSD user that he is using "Linux".
>>
>>55008924
Saying that GNOME has no features even though it is the heaviest gtk DE
>>
>>55008925
https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam
Theme for everything in plasma. I use it on my desktop and it looks pretty good.
>>
File: qt66.jpg (45 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
qt66.jpg
45 KB, 640x960
>>55008829
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sway
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Straight

keep it 100 lad
>>
>>55007474
There are trams everywhere at any time you almost don't need a car.
I come from Portugal
>>
>>55008857
DELETE THIS
>>
>>55008877
Nice quad-dubs.

Also, if my usage of "we're" is the only thing you can point out, the rest of my argument must have been pretty solid, thanks for acknowledging it.

I know not everyone agrees with the sentiment, but it's a lot more than just me, so I used a plural term.
This is a perfect example of informalities rustling FSF jimmies on a daily basis, because of pure autism.

Don't expect the world to change for your convenience, you must change for it, or face ridicule.
Your freedom of speech is not more important than my freedom to laugh at you in return.

>>55008926
Your reading comprehension is poor. If someone uses a term in place of another, it doesn't mean they think those things are identical.
Nobody is advocating for formal names or documentation to refer to the OS as "Linux", some of us would just like to use the term informally without getting you autists assblasted every 5 minutes.

My point is, if someone says "linux" but it is clear from the context they mean "GNU/Linux", there is no problem.

Much like how Americans refer to their favourite sport as "football" even though the game has very little to do with feet compared to hands, and is played with an ovoid shaped object distinct from a classically defined ball.

You're allowed to be pedantic when it matters, but not when it doesn't, unless you don't mind being frequently laughed at for being "that guy".
>>
>Thread spammed by anti-GNU cuckolds

If you don't like it go fucking make your own thread you pieces of shit
>>
>>55009028
This
>>
>>55009028
>Just make your own thread :^)
>GNUtards totally wont come in and shit the place up with links to the __real__ GNU/Linux thread every 5 fucking minutes, and report it for being off-topic

We've played this game before.
Reminder that the /flt/ thread was a linux thread until you autists made your own site, and then demanded that everyone else jump ship rather than just leaving the old one how it was in peace.

There are faggots on both sides of the argument, don't try to pretend your hands are clean.
>>
>>55009117
I was here before /flt/ was a thing you fucking dipshit. Don't like it? Make a fucking /flt/ and fuck off
>>
>>55009117
Upgrades usually come with bugfixes.
>>
>>55009135
>My way is the right way because I say it is :^)

I like my freedom to not come with a dose of dictatorship, thanks.

>>55009132
See: >>55009117

Considering that RMS is such a grammatical pedant, you followers sure have terrible reading comprehension.
>>
>>55009171
The one without reading comprehension is apparently you. What part of "fuck off" is hard to understand?
>>
>>55009201
See: >>55009117

If anyone is going anywhere, it's (You).
>>
what is the open source alternative for Guitar Pro?
and how bad/good is the spotify build for Debian
>>
>>55009213
You are really trying hard to fit in, aren't you? Quoting self won't save you from your embarrassment.
>>
File: 1448785124571.png (45 KB, 816x3242) Image search: [Google]
1448785124571.png
45 KB, 816x3242
>>55008355
>Guy creates linux kernel, the "key stone"
Aight.
>>
>>55009237
You really are trying hard to have the last word when you actually have nothing useful to add to the conversation :^)

There have been /flt/ threads in parallel with /fglt/ in the past, and they were shitposted out of existence by freetards.
Forgive me for not putting my hopes into your community having matured at all in the last 3 months.

>>55009258
RMS didn't work on GNU alone, there were hundreds on contributors. However, the amount of code that Linus himself is responsible for is enormous in comparison.
I'm not saying that automatically means it should be called one thing instead of another, but it should mean that Linus gets more say in the matter, as he is the one individual to have personally contributed the most out of anyone.

Things might be a little different if RMS wasn't so stubborn, and apparently allergic to other people's opinions.

If RMS truly cared about freedom, he'd let you call things whatever the fuck you want to, not what he tells you.
>>
>>55008702
The linux way to do it (or maybe it is the unix way) is to use NFS (thats network file system) exports. Check man exports for details but is basically a list of /dir user(options for that user) where the user is an ip adress, range or machine name. NFS can be a cunt if you server is not going to be up the whole time then. The other way (apart from sshfs) is to use samba which generally "just works" better than NFS and also works natively with windows (with some occaisonal difficulties due to assumptions about authentication).
>>
>>55008141
Yep
>>
>>55009339
Linus didn't work on Linux alone either. His code makes up something like 3% of the kernel nowadays.
>>
>>55009444
It's still the largest individual contribution, and by a long stretch.

Again, that doesn't give him automatic rights of any sort, but still, if you wanted a single person to represent GNU/Linux, it should be Linus and not Stallman.

Unless of course you would prefer a less than democratic system in place, like many freetards would prefer.
>>
>>55009493
I don't want a single person to represent GNU/Linux. I just want GNU to get some credit too, instead of constantly being swept under the rug.
>>
>>55008741
Off yourself instead
>>
>>55009339
>nothing useful to add to the conversation
I am here with a question and because of your spamming it is pretty much unresolved. Please get out, I don't care what you think is true or false. Go make a thread about it as >>55009028 indirectly suggested
>>
>>55008741
new? casual? summer?
>>
>>55009526
>If I keep repeating "lel just make a gnew thread", it'll become a viable option

See: >>55009117 and >>55009339
Why do you believe that you are allowed to be stubborn and not accept that your idea is not going to work, but I must listen to your request?

Exactly the kind of mindset that makes people cringe when they think of the FSF, and exactly why Linus recommends the EFF instead.

>>55009503
Why do you care if normies don't know 100% of the back story about GNU/Linux? How does that affect you personally?
Why are you not also concerned with making sure that people thrown under the rug at Microsoft and Apple also get their recognition?
>>
>>55009526
Which one are you?
>>55009621
Just.Get.The.Fuck.Out, Spammerfaggot
>>
>install arch with architect
>install i3
>install chromium
>cursor is hueg when outside chromium window, while normal size inside it
what's going on?
>>
>>55009658
Get a proper DE
>>
>>55009675
why?
>>
>>55009646
>My shitposting isn't spamming because I say it's not :^)

Your hypocrisy is ripe. You don't get to silence people because they disagree with you, this isn't reddit friendo.
>>
File: setting.gif (258 KB, 860x640) Image search: [Google]
setting.gif
258 KB, 860x640
>>55009691
Because it has proper controls
>>
>>55009658
Sounds like DPI fuckery because of a >1080p monitor or something.
>>
>>55009699
>Disagree
Yeah you are the one who got his SJW syndrome triggered to see GNU in this thread. Mad that /fglt/ caught on?
>>
File: bait.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
bait.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>55009767
>Shitpost other threads until they no longer exist
>Call other people SJWs

Pandering to autists will do this board no good, just because it's not your problem yet doesn't mean it wont be later.
>>
>>55009833
>Shitpost other threads until they no longer exist
Yeah you are trying that as well.

The only difference is you are not being taken seriously. Stay salty, SJW cuck
>>
When I press backspace Firefox does not return to the last page. Has anyone encounter this before? I am on Xubuntu 16.04.
>>
>>55009877
set browser.backspace_action to 0
>>
Love the OP pic.

I just installed Debian Jessie in a laptop with W8.1, UEFI and all that crap. When I was changing the boot order so it would boot the LiveUSB, the USB showed as two: one of them preceded by "UEFI", but I went with the other option.

Quick question: should I reinstall with the other option? Will it work then? Or I would waste my time and some later tweaking is needed. Fuck M$.
>>
File: Triggered.jpg (44 KB, 720x599) Image search: [Google]
Triggered.jpg
44 KB, 720x599
>>55009863
There is no alternative thread, I am not directing anyone to anywhere.
And so far, either nobody has reported me or the mods don't seem to consider my posts as "shitposting" any more than yours are.

You can try telling the boogeyman to leave the room, but you might just have to hide under the blankets until morning when he doesn't listen.

If I had it my way, people would get their posts removed for trying to tell anyone how they should refer to the OS, whether that is "Linux" or "GNU/Linux".
The point is it should be the user's choice, not the FSFs choice forced onto them pretending to be any sort of freedom™.
>>
File: 1464036169213.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1464036169213.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>55009999
>>55010000
>>
>>55009978
You should install with UEFI if you intend to use UEFI-only features like quick booting, etc.
>>
>>55009980
The users have spoken. It's /fglt/ and that's why there is no alternative thread (since they get deleted)
>>
>>55010111
I don't care about it. I just want to get the grub prompt instead of booting directly to windows.

Reinstalling won't solve that problem then?
>>
>>55010115
That's the great thing about imageboards, the userbase is changing all the time :^)

That's why it's important to not make the mistake of assuming that every new user has the same braindead cult mindset as yourself.

Indoctrination is the job of the Catholic church, let's leave it to the professionals bud.
>>
>>55009980
>The point is it should be the user's choice, not the FSFs choice forced onto them pretending to be any sort of freedom™.

You still don't get it: Feel free to call actual dogshit horseshit instead, but don't get mad when people interject you and tell you that you're wrong. dogshit is dogshit and it doesn't matter if you don't like the word. You could even call dogshit "double whopper", but don't be mad when people are laugthing at you.
>>
>>55010233
>Don't laugh when the autists demand you dance like a monkey

But I can't help it.
>>
>>55010157
it depends on whether you installed grub or grub2

if you installed grub2 it should be able to boot windows, but my guess is that your distro installed grub by default when it was booted via mbr
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (197 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
197 KB, 3000x1688
>>55010175
>>
I'm using a PNY USB 3.0 128 GB stick to try and maanufacture a bootable USB key.
However, I can get it to boot once, after which the GRUB goes missing and I get an alert to insert a bootable media.

I've tried with Debian, Ubuntu, and Knoppix, using Unetbootin, live disc to install, desktop install, and YUMI.

When i try to partition from USB FDD to Multi USB HDD, I get an error when writing to volume, "write protected" poking through the command line does not help, I can take disk control, but not volume.

Attempts to partition in installation fail, and SATA internal over USB 3.0 has taken an excess of 24 hours for a debian install.

Are PNY sticks boot locked and for storage only?

I was reading a notice that said bootable media is locked to 32 Gigs or less.
Testing with PNY USB 2.0 8 gig sticks works fine, but results in frequent hangups due to the much smaller data pipe.
>>
File: keyboard-9647.jpg (69 KB, 1000x576) Image search: [Google]
keyboard-9647.jpg
69 KB, 1000x576
Remapping keys in X is quite painless with the help of xmodmap, I set up my caps lock key to behave as a hyper modifier key and it feels liberating to have a modifer+key combo that's essentially guaranteed not to be used already.

However I would like to take it a step further and fiddle directly with lower level systems, to have the caps lock interpreted directly as a hyper key, so that I could have it in the tty for example. What would it take, /fglt/? How far down do I have to go?
>>
>>55009980
Well yes, let's pretend it's "Just Linux", Linus' succsessful "Open Source" hobby project, which aims for market share world domination by taking over Microsoft. kek

>>55009978
>Love the OP pic.
This. We need to calm down and accept that GNU/Linux is a project made by different people with different views, but all these people are working together to create something amazing.

In my opinion, GNU/Linux is a neutral name, which is (technically) more correct than "Linux" or "GNU" anyway.
>>
>>55010157
What is the problem exactly? Also I am quite sure it is possible to convert a mbr partition table to gpt and do anything else that is required (re install grub in UEFI config?) without having to re-install your distro.
>>
>>55010115
>The mods have spoken. It's /fglt/ and that's why there is no alternative thread.
FTFY
>>
>>55010478
Since this is 4chan, I guess those just-linux people are just trolling/baiting out of boredom.
>>
>>55010313
>I was reading a notice that said bootable media is locked to 32 Gigs or less.
I have no idea but seeing as you said it worked once already that doesn't sound likely. You could always try partitioning the usb drive. Also, maybe you bios is fucked.
>>
>>55010516
confirmed

just check out that "pedophile neckbeard" pasta that appears every other thread
>>
>>55010558
>anons, rms isn't even a real DR.!!!
>>
I need help please. I have a folder containing over 10,000 files and i want to move all the files to folders grouping the files into folders holding 100 files each. How can i accomplish this using the terminal with bash shell or is there some software that would do this for me etc. Please help anons
>>
>>55010546
Multiple computers were tried, UEFI and normal, it would boot once and then hang loading gnome or xserver.

Attempts to partition with bootice and the installation menu resulted in failures and unrecognized partition tables.

Closest I can figure is the firmware is disabling repartition permission in the stick proper, but that doesn't work since I can still get the one boot on a separate computer before fuckup.
>>
>>55010278
It's Debian Stable (Jessie), so I don't know. How do I install grub2?

>>55010489
>What is the problem exactly?
The installation process went fine, but when it rebooted it booted directly to windows. No grub boot screen whatsoever. I don't mind reinstalling (it took me 20 minutes even with my dog distracting me), but I'd like to avoid messing with the partition table.

How do I solve this?
>>
>>55010381
On debian there is the kbd package that provides an init script which runs

dumpkeys < /dev/tty1 | sed -f /etc/kbd/remap | loadkeys

I am using thes to remap control to compose on the text console. Here is the contents of my remap file:
# This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Compose/;

Don't know if you can map to a modifier there but it could be somewhere to start.
>>
>>55010291
>Having irrational beliefs is fedora.
A meme born from the lack of a proper rebuttal. I love it.
>>
>>55010797
My bad.
>Not giving credit to irrational beliefs is fedora*
>>
>>55010772
If you have changed the boot order in the bios to point to the usb drive (or whever grub is supposed to be) then it sure shouldn't be going to windows. Try both options (UEFI and legacy) in the bios and if neither of them work ... reinsall I guess. Or go ahead and just install grub on the windows drive too.
>>
I'm learning how to use here documents at the moment... Seems cool, but am I going to have to learn 'ed' commands?

I was trying to send commands to vim but it kept giving input errors.
>>
>>55010625
Maybe not the best way, but try this:
Create a directory called "part_1/" inside the directory where your 10,000 files are in.

>10000files/part_1/

move into 10000files

run this:
for i in $(find . -type f | head -n 100); do mv "$i" "part_1/"; done

Then create part_2 and run the command again, repeat 10 times.

Replace "mv" with "echo" to preview what would happen.
>>
>>55010817
>>55010797

is summer over
>>
>>55010381
xev,xmodmap,xbindkeys
>>
>>55010880
Or even more comfy (untested):

for d in {1..10}; do
mkdir "$d"
for f in $(find . -type f | head -n 100); do
mv "$f" "$d"
done
done
>>
>>55010880
Thank you so much anon i really appreciate the help. Works like a charm
>>
>>55010987
Whoa, yes this is so much better. Thank you, works really well its almost done
>>
>>55010841
Sorry. I expressed myself poorly. I modified te bios to point to the LiveUSB for installing Debian. It's there that the two options (uefi and standard) showed up. I booted the regular one, installed correctly, put grub in the only hard drive and rebooted.

But then it went directly to windows. My initial question was: Should I reinstall Debian with the 'uefi' option of the LiveUSB?

And, important. It seems that the Linux OS isn't even showing in the bios, though I'm going to recheck that right away.

If somebody has some ideas, throw them at me. I don't know what to try.
>>
Who here is arch linux master race?
>>
>>55011070
Yes. Confirmed. No Linux whatsoever in the bios boot options. I should try and reinstall with the 'uefi' option then?
>>
>>55010381
>>55010779
>>55010966
Hello friendos. I've been having a problem related to this. I have swapped my caps lock and escape keys, yet, periodically something is resetting the keyboard layout and I have to swap them again. Any idea what might be causing this?
>>
>>55011070
>>55011186
I'm googling properly now. Sorry for bothering you, pals. I'll report back whether I succeed or not.
>>
>>55010877
>am I going to have to learn 'ed' commands?
Haha no, ed is obselete.
>I was trying to send commands to vim but it kept giving input errors.
Like what?
>>
>>55010966
they said lower level than X...
>>
File: 1440994275361.jpg (27 KB, 300x313) Image search: [Google]
1440994275361.jpg
27 KB, 300x313
should I install arch linux?
>>
I want to use Linux for web dev. Which OS should I try?
>>
File: 1451607536886.jpg (134 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1451607536886.jpg
134 KB, 499x499
>>55011234
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”.
>>
>>55011286
For ex.
#!/bin/bash

vim $1 <<!HERE!
G
o
- Tommy
:wq
!HERE!

exit 0

This gives me a warning that it's not from terminal then exits with an input error.
>>
>>55011378
>!
found your problem
>>
File: 1455085548653.png (154 KB, 556x5537) Image search: [Google]
1455085548653.png
154 KB, 556x5537
>>55011286
>ed is obselete
ed is the standard text editor
>>
File: 1441699546991.png (234 KB, 605x6812) Image search: [Google]
1441699546991.png
234 KB, 605x6812
>>55011417
sed is the standard stream text editor
>>
>>55011401
It's not an issue. The text (Beginning Linux Programming) I'm reading suggested doing that to avoid confusion. Removing them gives me the same errors.
>>
>>55011351
debian
>>
>>55011351
But the web is online anon.
>>
>>55011366
But google is a word in the English language that means "to search for something using a search engine"
>>
>>55011497
Gno.
>>
I have a weird problem with Chromium on Arch Linux.

Any time an emoji or a japanese/chinese/korean glyph appears somewhere everything slows way the fuck down on my pretty powerful computer.

Examples of situations when browser freezes for a few seconds:
1) A tab with an emoji in its name makes ALL browser interactions lag like hell (opening/closing tabs, opening windows, etc.)
2) Omnibar suggestion with an emoji in it.
3) If a "recent tabs" list has an entry with an emoji in the title.

It's incredibly annoying.
Is there a fix for this issue?
>>
>>55011519
Relax man, ill go get you a Kleenex and a Coke.
*brings you an off-brand cola and off-brand tissues*
>>
>>55009621
FSF and EFF serve different purposes
>>
>>55011612
Of course they do, that's why one of them has a real future, and the other will die off as soon as Stallman does.

Just imagine the day when some skiddie from Intel makes the same comment about Stallman's death that he made about Steve Jobs.

Many giggles will be had, and it will be a good day indeed.
>>
>>55011583
Holy shit it gets worse with the number of emojis.
Test URL that slows even clean Chrome down: https://twitter.com/steveluscher/status/741089564329054208

It has emoji in the tab name so it even slows down tab switching. It takes my computer about ten seconds to load it as an omnibar suggestion.
>>
>>55011497
your choice of wording strengthens a monopoly that lives of innocent peoples data. i hope you understand this.
>>
>>55011583
does it work with firefox?
>>
File: 1458133479868.png (60 KB, 600x526) Image search: [Google]
1458133479868.png
60 KB, 600x526
>>55011691
>it will be a good day indeed.
>>
>>55011808
I don't have firefox, but I have no lags in luakit while displaying that page.
I'll test firefox and midori right away.
>>
>>55011829
you could also test it in surf.
>>
>>55010381
How do you map f13-f24 to ouse buttons.
I tried adding them in to open keycodes, but it isnt binding for some reason.
>>
>>55011825
Now would you say the same about your cult leader, or would you let your biases cloud your judgement?

>Suppressing freedom is okay if Stallman says it's okay :^)
>>
>>55011808
>>55011829
>>55011843
Midori lagged a bit, but I'm not really sure.
Firefox didn't appear to lag at all.
>>
>>55011886
looks like it is a webkit issue then, you could report it or switch to firefox/icecat.
>>
>>55011877
>using that smiley with a carat nose outside of [s4s] or google/NSA presentations
>>
>>55011898
Eeeh, both sound like a lot of work. I was hoping it'd just be an issue in my configs somewhere. I'm still holding out hope.
>>
>>55011378
Is calling vim with commands on stdin even a thing? Maybe you could try with -s scriptfile (or even -s - (for stdin))
>>
>>55011941
pretty sure switching should be easy since they allow you to import bookmarks and stuff.
do you have custom settings in chromium? maybe you could reset it.
>>
>>55011861
Are you using xbindkeys? What have you tried so far? You should be able to do something like:
"xdotool click 2"
F12
>>
>>55012004
Currently the mouse is using the home row numbers. I need to rebind them to f13-f24 because i need the numpad to be avalible at the same time.So i wanted to bind f13-24.

I've added
keycode 93 = f13
To the .Xmodmap. Where 93 is an open keycode via xmodmap -pke.
Xbindkeys is working fine, with all my other keybinds via media keys and launching other programs via keyboard binds. but it is picking up the buttons as mod2+ 1-9 and then the plus,end ,etc when i press the buttons on the mouse without any config.
>>
>>55011941
googling it I found a source which mentions that vim has problems with terminal interaction.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/here-docs.html

I might be able to get away with using vi though.
>>
>>55008345

You're a fool for going with Compton first, without doing minor research and trying the TearFree driver option.
>>
>>55011366
Sorry, I was using Google, as much as it pains me. I'd like to use other search engine, but duck duck go couldn't even find a 4chan board even if I wrote "4chan g", so I couldn't use it for finding anything.
>>
File: virtualization_extensions.png (14 KB, 1023x96) Image search: [Google]
virtualization_extensions.png
14 KB, 1023x96
I received this error when trying to virtualize in Gnome Boxes v 3.18, Ubuntu 16.04 running on a Thinkpad X220.

Has anyone encountered this? What bios settings must I change?
>>
>>55012186
try searx
>>
File: V8.png (48 KB, 1167x649) Image search: [Google]
V8.png
48 KB, 1167x649
>>55012228
Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'm open to more of them.
>>
>>55009235

TuxGuitar, I guess. No realistic sounds though, I think it only does MIDI synths.
>>
>>55008832
>>55008871
Would you recommend a distro that ships with KDE? Or should I just stick with Arch?
>>
>>55012190
>>55012366

>vt-d
I meant vt-x.
>>
>>55012300

>apparently is using arch and has enough "experience" to know the answer to his stupid question
>still asking it

Something is telling me you're not really using Arch or any distribution. Booting into it once every fortnight to run "ls -l" doesn't count as using.
>>
Why does parole player play music louder than on clementine? Is it because of plugins?
>>
>>55012401
Don't forget what the 'f' stands for, anon.
>>
>>55012426

The F is tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>>55012401
I've been using it every day for a year or two now. That doesn't mean I can be bothered to try out all the distros that ship with a particular DE to see if they're worth using.
>>
I get a black box filling up the whisker menu in Xubuntu. Is this a common bug?
>>
>>55012434
I must dissent.
>>
>>55012186
Use SPage
>>
What do you guys consider to be the best GUI file manager? Bonus points if it doesn't leave .directory files everywhere, or anything like that.
>>
>>55012508
Nemo.

Functional enough to do what you want, simple enough to not be bloated.
Can maybe get away with stock nautilus if your distro isn't run by retards who wont apply the patches the gnome team refuses to apply themselves to make nautilus actually usable.
>>
>>55012458

>That doesn't mean I can be bothered to try out all the distros that ship with a particular DE to see if they're worth using.

After two years you still haven't realized switching distributions just for a desktop environment is retarded? A normal person should have realized that the valid reasons for switching between distributions are:

>package manager
>release model
>package policy

Switching distributions only because of its looks is something a person new to Linux distributions does. Not something a person which has apparently been using it for two years (using an "advanced" distribution).
>>
>>55012582
So in your opinion Ubuntu's Nautilus would be superior to Fedora's? Interesting.
>>
File: 1422045090603.jpg (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1422045090603.jpg
42 KB, 700x500
>4000 aeons since the fall of Tooomh
>still no modular file picker
>>
>>55012724

How do you envision a file-dialog to be modular? It's tied to the GUI toolkit the program is written in. Do you want software to depend on multiple GUI toolkits or somehow make GTK and Qt (KDE) disregard their own implementations and settle for a 3rd party option?
>>
>>55012716
Well it's not superior exactly, just certain (completely necessary) options have been disabled by the gnome team because they are braindead, and most distros have reenabled them in their own packages so as to to not fuck over end users.

Debian at least keeps playing the "it's not our job to fix it" card, so the only usable gnome-based file manager is nemo. It's old as fuck but it works, unlike debian nautilus.
>>
>>55012802

>gnome-based
You mean GTK based?

> It's old as fuck but it works
Version 3.0.5 was released a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>55012823
>You mean GTK based?
No, I mean gnome based. It is based on the stock gnome file manager

>Version 3.0.5 was released a couple of weeks ago.
It's still based on gnome2, regardless of when the last patch was made.
>>
>>55012899

>It's still based on gnome2, regardless of when the last patch was made.
Are you sure? Isn't Mate the GNOME 2 fork and Cinnamon a GNOME 3 "fork"?
>>
>obese cow with neckbeard being humped by a manlet.

seems accurate m8.
>>
>>55012960
"Based on" in a design sense, rather than the underlying libraries, which is why I steered away from saying what version of GTK it was based on.
At one point it was referred to as gnome 2.5, since it's using gnome 3 but has been modified to look and act more like gnome 2.

It's old in both appearance (which is good) and updates (which is not great), but that's more to do with mint being shit.
>>
>>55007807
Whats the Linux equivalent to dxdiag? I need support for a game but I need that.
>>
>>55013262
sudo lshw > file.txt

lscpu and lspci are also good when you want stuff about your cpu and your gpu/display
>>
File: whatdo.png (162 KB, 749x972) Image search: [Google]
whatdo.png
162 KB, 749x972
So I mounted a hard drive, and the name is wayyy too long for me to access through terminal:
boy@boy:~$ cd /mnt/d1b2aa11-a3e4-434b-b71c-47a8ac23ac23/
boy@boy:/mnt/d1b2aa11-a3e4-434b-b71c-47a8ac23ac23$

Guy on stackoverflow tells me to unmount, do this (I named it "volume"):
sudo e2label /dev/sda2 volume
then mount it again. I do that, perfect.  Restart my computer, and now it's back to the long name, but the label still exists.

What to do?
>>
>>55013358
bash: lshw: command not found
The other two workerd though.
>>
>>55013395
Crap, forgot to close the code brackets.
I named it this:
sudo e2label /dev/sda2 volume

and remounted.
Which worked, but when I restarted my computer, it was back to the long name. The label still exists, though.
>>
>>55013421
sudo apt-get install lshw

or

sudo dnf install lshw
>>
>>55009726
it happens whether I'm using i3, awesome, gnome3 or kde plasma
>>
>>55013426
you could add an entry to /etc/fstab
If you don't want it to be mounted on bootup you'll have to specify that tho iirc
>>
File: simcye@spaceheater:~_002.png (6 KB, 496x277) Image search: [Google]
simcye@spaceheater:~_002.png
6 KB, 496x277
>>55009735
maybe
>>
>>55013421
as said, you can just install it, and it will be actually like a dxdiag unlike the other two that provide information about specific stuff of your computer.
>>
>>55012796
It could just call a command and expect a path on stdout. It isn't complicated. Infact you may even be able to do just that with a LD_PRELOADED library ...
>>
>>55009978
>>55010111
>>55010157
>>55010278
>>55010489
>>55010772
>>55010841
>>55011070
>>55011186
>>55011234
I'm the guy who couldn't install Debian Jessie on W8.1. The literal first hit from Google has the answer. Sorry for bothering you. I guess I simply wanted to post.

http://superuser.com/questions/714856/trying-to-dual-boot-windows-8-1-and-debian-jessie

To sum up:
Disable Fast Boot, Secure Boot. Boot the LiveUSB with the 'uefi' option (the only one that appears in the bios once you've disabled FB and SB).
Install normally.

>>55012500
Link it. I couldn't fin anything but katakana moonrunes.
>>
>>55013994
>Disable SecureBoot
wew lad
that's kind of a big security flaw right there
you're vulnerable to malware that can infect the BIOS / boot sector
>>
hey guys, how can I change Trash size in debian? and can I remove it completly?
>>
>>55014045
Trash is DE thing, not a debian thing. If you press shift+delete on a file, it'll delete it instantly without going to the trash, exactly the same as if you removed the file from the terminal.
>>
>>55014088
then cinnamon
>>
>>55014031
I'm guessing it can be enabled after the install? Is it really that relevant?
>>
>>55014031
Malware that can effect the BIOS is very very rare and can be fixed by re-flashing the BIOS. Boot-Sector malware is also very rare.

I've only heard of such malware in cryptolocker clones. Either way, make sure you get a distro which supports UEFI and secureboot.
>>
>>55014119
just remap delete key to delete and not "move to trash"

less risky than ripping a component out of the DE
>>
>>55014150
well, sounds like a plan. thanks anon.
>>
>>55014140
I'm using Debian. I'll see if I can reenable it in the BIOS and grub still loads properly. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
No seriously, why is the font rendering so shit in every distro except umbango?
>>
File: 2016-06-10-15:33:31.png (436 KB, 1883x966) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-10-15:33:31.png
436 KB, 1883x966
>>55014306
because you're a moron that can't understand that fontconfig and font rendering are independent of the distro

>fedora 23
>>
I tried to visit my website today only to find that I couldn't connect to it. I decided to check out my web server to see if I could fix the issue, but I don't 100% know what I'm doing and am a bit stuck.

I updated files on my server and apache seems to be running fine. I can connect to the internet and my files seem to be in tact but...when I attempt to connect to my site, I get the error 'The website at (my IP address) )seems to be unavailable. The precise error was:

Could not connect: No route to host."

Anybody know what's going on, or where a good starting point could be?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-10_15-40-43.png (41 KB, 637x364) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-10_15-40-43.png
41 KB, 637x364
just installed xubuntu on my new thinkpad x240 and i'm having a weird wireless problem. when start up the computer it automatically connects to my wifi network but doesnt show any wireless networks in the network manager. the network manager icon also displays the 2 arrows pointing up and down like i'm connected by ethernet rather than showing the wifi symbol. all this shit worked fine when i was in the "try xubuntu" shit during installation. anyone encountered this? the wireless card is an intel 7260.
>>
File: 1463375183398.jpg (209 KB, 600x847) Image search: [Google]
1463375183398.jpg
209 KB, 600x847
Guys, I have a question

Using Debian, you know how aptitude sometimes when you're upgrading or installing something, it sometimes tells you that certain packages are recommended but will not be installed by default?

How does this work? Why is it recommending these packages? Optional features that weren't deemed worthy enough to be dependencies? What's the command to install recommended packages when you're upgrading/installing on aptitude?
>>
>>55014629
It's not like the manpage would make a secret about how it works.
>>
>>55014608
I heard Ubuntu's having problem's with wireless support this last release, so your problem might fall under this
>>
>>55014713
there's a process called gvfs-smb-browser that's using a constant 25% of my cpu too. works fine on my other thinkpads though. guess i'll just try out fedora or something
>>
>>55014812
Or Debian Sid
>>
>>55014852

>debian sid

versus

>fedora

kek. Fedora is light years better than sid
>>
Let the shitposting begin
>>
>>55015116
So, recently I was on reddit (I know, I'll kill myself later) and I came across an interesting argument in a linux thread. I cant find the thread anymore, but I copypastad the argument becasue I dont really understand internal kernal functions that well. My question is, is this guy a windows shill, or does he have any valid arguments:

"In Windows, any I/O operation including to file handles, sockets, or certain other system objects can be made "overlapped", or asynchronous. The OS will start the async I/O operation and update the status in a user-space OVERLAPPED structure accordingly. In addition to this, system I/O objects such as file handles and sockets may be assigned to another kind of object called an I/O completion port, which enqueues notifications that I/O operations on its associated file handles have completed, and their status. Multiple threads can share an I/O completion port and wait for their scheduled I/O operations to complete in a thread-safe manner.

In Linux, by contrast, there is no standard, generally accepted way to do true async I/O, so I/O is done using the standard POSIX calls such as read(2) and write(2). These are always synchronous -- even on O_NONBLOCK fds -- but you can get pretend asynchronicity by setting them O_NONBLOCK and buzzing in a select or epoll loop, interleaving I/O with other processing. Alternatively you can spawn one thread per request but neither give you the flexibility that Win32 gives you.

Just try writing a server with thread-pool allocation in Linux. You can't use the one-thread-per-request method because your worker threads are limited in number. So you will have to use some sort of select/epoll loop and manage all the synchronization yourself." continued...
>>
>>55015188
"An I/O completion port would do all this for you and save you CPU time (and hence battery life on portable devices) by putting any thread waiting for its I/O requests to complete to sleep, rather than requiring them to buzz in a loop asking the fds "are you ready yet? are you ready yet? are you ready yet?"

Also, again -- all I/O calls are synchronous. Unix I/O has a notion of "fast" and "slow" devices that has nothing to do with speed; the difference is that I/O on "fast" devices never returns EAGAIN or EWOULDBLOCK; the process goes into uninterruptible sleep (D state in ps) until the entire I/O operation either completes or errors out. I/O to the file system is considered "fast" -- meaning that processes doing file I/O become stuck until the I/O finishes or errors out, which can be a real bummer if your disks are slow (e.g., VMs), flaky, or if you're talking to an NFS server that's gotten wedged.

Later versions of the POSIX standard provide the POSIX aio API, but the most common implementation of that fakes asynchronous I/O by doing synchronous I/O in a subprocess. It's better than the select loop, I guess, but why not save the process-table entry slots by providing real aio primitives in the kernel -- the way Windows does?

This Does Not Happen under Windows because Windows provides real async I/O primitives.

Structured Exception Handling lets you respond to OS-initiated exceptional events (segmentation faults, division by zero, invalid instruction, etc.) with a try/catch mechanism similar to C++ exceptions. It relies on Microsoft-proprietary C++ extensions to operate, however -- but it's still lightyears ahead of the janky signal mechanism used by Unix (and hence Linux)."
>>
>>55015188
>>55015203
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/87892/what-is-the-status-of-posix-asynchronous-i-o-aio/5307557#5307557
>>
How do I make my music player play music louder? The video player has the right volume but not Clementine or gmusicbrowser.
>>
File: 1457820064399.gif (24 KB, 181x121) Image search: [Google]
1457820064399.gif
24 KB, 181x121
>>55015203
>>55015188
>>
Does Antergos use a different repo then Arch by default? Or what is the extra repo used for? If you install via pacman on Antergos is it coming from the Arch core? I can't seem to find much info on it.
>>
>>55014476
>Anybody know what's going on, or where a good starting point could be?
A good starting point would be to ensure you have a route to the remote host...
But seriously, run ip route get <server-ip> and see what is says.
>>
Trying to do minimal install of xubuntu, everything works great until its time to boot into the new system, and then I only get a black screen. Any ideas? Everything in the installer seemed straightforward enough, and I even tried again just to make sure I didn't fuck anything up and I still get nothing but black screen. Thinkpad T410 is machine btw.
>>
>>55016068
you need to look at the logs/journal

there's literally nothing to go on here to help you
>>
>>55014629
That packages are required, recommended or suggested are specified by the package maintainer when the make the package. Required ones are required for the thing to run and to use all functionality of it. Recommended packages are usually things like docs and plugin packages, optional is more of the same I suppose...
Recommends are installed by default and for suggests you can use the command line option --install-suggests or add APT::Install-Suggests "true"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf
>>
How to make apt not spamming my terminal when I update?
>>
>>55007807
Absolute newfag here.

How do I compile MPC-Qt (>>55015833 )in Ubuntu?

I don't understand this:
>You need the Qt5 sdk installed and a recent edition of libmpv. On ubuntu you can usually install the Qt5 sdk with the ubuntu-sdk or qtcreator packages. You will need to compile libmpv from git head or at least version 0.17.0 with the --enable-libmpv-shared option. Make sure ldconfig is run after compiling libmpv, or you may end up with linker errors.
>>
>>55016138
pacman is your answer
>>
>>55016138
man apt-get

>-q, --quiet Quiet. Produces output suitable for logging, omitting progress indicators. More q's will produce more quiet up to a maximum of two. You can also use -q=# to set the quiet level, overriding the configuration file. Note that quiet level 2 implies -y, you should never use -qq without a no-action modifier such as -d, --print-uris or -s as APT may decided to do something you did not expect.
>>
>>55016225
Why must Arch users always act like edgy asses?
>>
>>55016270
Thank you.
>>
>>55016286
their whole community is cancer

they are like mormons that won't ever leave you alone
>>
File: 1416071278008.png (5 KB, 401x400) Image search: [Google]
1416071278008.png
5 KB, 401x400
Friends, need some help with resolution settings on Ubuntu 16.04 using the open source driver.
When I used Ubuntu 15.10 I always used the proprietary graphics and everything was fine, my resolution was detected as 2560x1080 60Hz. When I updated to 16.04, knowing that I would have to use the open source driver, I noticed that my resolution options were capped on 1920x1080 60 Hz. I ran some the xrandr commands to force my resolution into 2560x1080 60 Hz, as it was before, but the screen started to blink and I couldn't use the PC. I tried with 2560x1080 40 Hz and it worked fine.
Why does this happen? Has anyone experienced the same? How can I fix it?
I don't really want to roll back to 15.10 please help.
>>
>>55016286
>>55016349
It's not really much different clean now, is it?
sudo apt-get install vlc -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
vlc
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/1,508 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,972 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package vlc.
(Reading database ... 220245 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../archives/vlc_2.2.2-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking vlc (2.2.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for vlc-nox (2.2.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Setting up vlc (2.2.2-5) ...
>>
File: 1434260286035.jpg (11 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1434260286035.jpg
11 KB, 160x160
>>55014404
>calls me a moron
>posts pic of disgusting font rendering
You can fontconfig until the cows come home, it never looks as good as Ubuntu.
>>
>>55014306
Lmao Fedora actually has shit font rendering.
Ubuntu being a newbie distro has this fixed ootb, with glitches of course
>>
File: 1456366628617.png (156 KB, 688x1430) Image search: [Google]
1456366628617.png
156 KB, 688x1430
>>55016349
>>55016286

The only cancer is the constant bitching about arch, when no one who is using arch is involved in the conversation. Its the neo/g/'s only meme that brings them together,in an otherwise too complex field to be part of
>>
>>55016447
what are you trying to say here?
>>
Cannonical does not care anymore.

They are MS sellouts. The 16.04 LTS is HORRIBLE with broken gtk.

Kubuntu gives you a general idea of how shit it is with the cropped out widget in the Live ISO.

FUCK Cannonical and Ubuntu
>>
>>55016579
He means apt-get is still too verbose and the output structure is garbage.
>>
>>55016602
>>55016447

you didn't even pass a quiet flag
>>
>>55016586
Debian's where it's at, boyo

Ubuntu is its bastard child that deserves to be disowned
>>
>>55016447
>
sudo apt-get -qq install vlc
>>
>>55016617
I'm not the one who asked the question but -y means quiet level 2
>>
>>55016619
Unfortunately,

1. The only branch with security updates only provide ancient packages
2. No PPA
>>
>>55016631
no it doesn't, I literally just posted the man page:

>>55016270

-qq implies -y, not the other way around
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.