[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kind of a noob question, but would a new Skylake CPU like an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 261x193
Kind of a noob question, but would a new Skylake CPU like an i3-6100 run better / in some way be better suited for Windows 10 instead of Windows 7?
>>
>dual core cpu
>2016
>>
>>54982968
No. In order to guarantee the maximum compatibility possible, Windows is compiled to very old instruction sets. So Windows 10 won't be any better suitable than Windows 7 (it may however have better performance than 7 due to other improvements, e.g. kernel).
>>
>>54982986
It has 2 cores and 4 threads, either way it beats the shit out of the nearly decade old AMD quad-core that I have.
>>
>>54983033
Okay, according to what I was reading online it's recommended to wipe the hard drive and reinstall your pirated Windows when you put in a new MOBO and CPU to make sure all the old drivers are taken care of.
>>
>>54983096
So if I'm gonna do that I figured I may as well download an ISO of Windows 10 instead of 7 again if I could get any benefit out of it in terms of gaming performance.

But isn't DX12 going to be Windows 10 exclusive?
>>
>>54983096
Yes, that's right. Also if you're using a mobo with a different chipset (as you will) it won't even boot without recovering it using a installation media.
>>
>>54983146
>But isn't DX12 going to be Windows 10 exclusive?
Yes it will. If you need it you'll have to use 10. Otherwise I would stick with 7, even if only to avoid the botnet.
>>
>>54983205
If I do decide to go with Windows 10 is there any mandatory botnet / spyware tier settings in the OS I can turn off? Or are there programs I could download that make it less Orwellian?

Also is there any difference between a pirated Windows 10 and the regular Windows 10? I would think if anything the pirated one would possibly not have all the latest updated spyware shit.
>>
>>54982968
>in some way

Yes, 10 is easier to install on the new motherboards that accept skylakes, there are hoops to jump through to install windows 7.
>>
>>54983258
You can mitigate the botnet by running some scripts that you can find here on /g/ and using PeerBlock.

>Also is there any difference between a pirated Windows 10 and the regular Windows 10?
No, it shouldn't. Don't use modified versions, stick with the official ISO, with those at least you know where the spyware is coming from.
>>
>>54983258
>>54983386
The pirated version is just the official ISO activated with Msft Toolkit, of course no one would download the iso from other place than microsoft itself nowadays.
>>
>>54982968
Yes, skylake compatible mobos have a lot of functionality that only works with win10.

>>54983258
use the enterprise version
>>
>>54983258
the botnet shit has been backported to Win 8 and Win 7 as well so you're not really gaining much. Literally the only reason to do a fresh Win 7 install is if you want to be a no win10 edgy cool kid but you're too much of a pussy to go full gentoo.
>>
File: chromosome.jpg (155 KB, 696x927) Image search: [Google]
chromosome.jpg
155 KB, 696x927
>>54982986
>he think's core count is everything.
>>
>>54984435
It doesn't change the fact that a dual core CPU in 2016 is still shit. Many games released in the past couple of years won't even boot if they don't detect four threads. An i3 is the absolute bottom of the barrel now, with the G3258 meme CPU having already fallen into the abyss some time back.
>>
>>54984460
but the i3-6100 does have four threads
>>
>>54984460
>a dual core CPU in 2016 is still shit

Explain the -U suffix CPUs then, they're all dual-core yet they are the dominant mobile CPU right now.

The vast majority of people don't want to pay for an overclocked gaymen i5-6600K to browse facebook or shitpost on twitter.

People in 2016 spend $600 on phones that have CPUs many times weaker than an i3-6100.
>>
>>54982968
Yes. Skylake is getting microcode updates that are only compatible with Windows 10 features.
Windows 7 is no longer receiving kernel upgrades to take advantage of the Skylake architecture.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1281) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1281
>>54982968
Don't forget the case.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.