[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: question-dwight.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
question-dwight.jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your small and stupid questions that doesn't deserve their own thread.
Redirect any retard to this thread using >>>/g/sqt

Previous thread : >>54923728

Don't be a retard, read the sticky, the wiki, and search before posting.
>>
I try to resell things for extra cash.
today I got scammed with an old fake $100.
where do you think someone would take it without checking it?
so I could get some money back
>>
>>54934227
It's not worth the risk. Contact the secret service and point them to the buyer.
>>
>>54934295
I mean, if you try to spend it, you'll likely be talking to them anyway, or maimed/killed if you're dealing with criminals. You could just destroy it.
>>
How much should i expect to pay to rent a server? specifically, a server in a 3rd world shit hole with no laws. maybe somewhere in the middle east?
>>
reposting from old thread

Is there a way to force a forum thread to show hidden attachments without logging in or having an account on that site?
>>
I'm trying to get a vbscript to run from a registry key but it doesn't do anything.

The registry key:
"%windir%\system32\wscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\downloader\download.vbs" "%1" 2

When I click on the protocol it doesn't run it.

Any ideas?
>>
What's the best comparator between high-end graphics cards (>=970)?

Is PassMark acceptable or is there something better?
>>
>>54934317
Not much if you don't need much. There's lots of VPS offerings for less than $100/year.
>>
From the last thread:

How do I install OpenGL 3.0?

I looked it up and apparently you have to install new drivers for your graphics card, but I downloaded an update utility and there were no new drivers available for my laptop.
>>
>>54934358
thanks bro
>>
almost considered making this its own thread, but anyway, i managed to lose access to my C: drive, not the worst thing that could happen as all my stuff is on a storage drive besides windows, but backstory is i always had a single harddrive with windows insider on it, got an ssd and put legit windows on it, so then windows said i was dual booting and put a uefi bootloader on my computer. eventually i wiped the insider preview drive and only had one OS, but the uefi boot stayed. decided to put ubuntu on the empty drive but it deleted windows uefi bootloader and replaced it with its own, making windows say insert boot media when i try to boot from my ssd. i can mount my storage drive in ubuntu but if i try to mount the C: drive it says it cant because windows is hibernated in an unsafe state. any ideas before i reinstall windows on my ssd?
>>
>>54934322
You still have to log in, but sometimes bugmenot will save you from registering. (try with different domain suffixes or adding/removing subdomains if the logins don't work or are "barred")
>>
File: 1463486442981.jpg (114 KB, 449x721) Image search: [Google]
1463486442981.jpg
114 KB, 449x721
Copy/paste from previous thread

Are there any apps that I can use to save 4chan threads from Clover or whatever? I used to use pocket unfortunately, but I dunno if a recent update wiped my archive or what because all my saved threads 404'd. Android obviously.

I just need something to save them on so they don't 404. Maybe a good screenshot app if nothing else. Any help /g/entlemen?
>>
>>54934377
if youre in windows im pretty sure you already have it installed
>>
>>54934420
If you are just want to read, mount with readonly (ro) option.
>>
>>54934442
no, i want to be able to boot into windows from my ssd again if possible. would i have to somehow get a windows uefi loader on my computer again?
>>
>>54934420
If >>54934442 doesnt work try:
sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdxx

(xx is the windows partition number, obviously)
>>
>>54934420
>>54934462
http://superuser.com/a/504360/
>>
>>54934462
just save all your data and reinstall windows?
that could be annoying though, you will need to use a live usb to chroot into your ubuntu after the reinstall to reinstall grub
>>
>>54934511
data is saved, hence the storage drive. didnt lose anything and if i have to ill wipe the ssd and install windows again. im just trying to avoid that as clean windows 10 installs are a bitch
>>54934490
are you talking about from ubuntu's console?
>>
File: gzdoom error.jpg (105 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gzdoom error.jpg
105 KB, 640x480
>>54934438
Apparently not, because when I try to launch GZDoom, I get pic related.

Also, when I go to this url, http://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/, I get the message "Could not initialise WebGL. No WebGL, no SculptGL. Sorry."
>>
>>54934536
yeah, from the ubuntu terminal. however, this is just the info i found online. i have no real experience with windows and its shitty hibernation state. i dont use windows.
>>
>>54934584
Gave me an operation not permitted
>>
>>54934582
God, learn to google errors. Looks like you GPU has no support for OpenGL 3.0 (probably old intel integrated gpu).

If it is supposed to support it, update the drivers.
>>
File: 1417268957490.jpg (79 KB, 646x712) Image search: [Google]
1417268957490.jpg
79 KB, 646x712
Is it true that the letter 'K' at the end of a processor model stands for capacity of overclocking them?
>>
What is the best FOSS alternative to Pocket (aka "I'll read this article later on my phone because now I'm busy wasting my life browsing the internet") ?
>>
>>54934621
yes
>>
>>54934621
not capacity, just that the multiplier is unlocked, letting you overclock without using the fsb
>>
File: Qbittorrent-logo.png (37 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
Qbittorrent-logo.png
37 KB, 192x192
In a torrent with many peers and low seeds, 50 seeders - 500 peers for example

Out of my 50 connected peers (maximum), only around 10 are seeding for me.
So if I ip ban the incompetent ones will I get better peers?

I'm probably stupid as qBittorrent/libtorrent is already handling this shit automatically
>>
>>54934628
>>54934635
I see, so if I'm not planning to overclock my CPU I'm better of buying the non K version then.
Thanks
>>
>>54934604
I think you will need to do a reinstall. sure its a pain in the ass, but thats windows for you. At least you got your data back, thats the main thing
>>
Is it bad practice you 'dick' and 'butt' as placeholder variables?
>>
>>54934672
I automatically ban any IP inside the US. My speeds are great
>>
>>54934674
The K ones may be higher binned, so they could possibly be a little better/reliable if not overclocking. But only worth it if you're being offered it at no additional cost. Also look at Xeons if you don't want to OC. Some are a good value compared to i5/i7 of equal benchmark.
>>
Also repost :
I want to make a google account but I don't want to give them my phone number ; is there a way to receive a single SMS with a one use only trash number ?
>>
>>54934677
alright, but then what will take precedent as the uefi? at that point ill have windows and ubuntu, im not sure which loader ill receive. my original goal was to have windows on my ssd, a 1tb blue as a storage drive for .exe games and generic files, and my second hdd partitioned with one half ubuntu and one half osx. i feel like this will be a headache
>>
>>54934729
Use Google Voice
>>
File: fuck_you.webm (30 KB, 442x648) Image search: [Google]
fuck_you.webm
30 KB, 442x648
So I setup ffdshow with ffmpeg to capture my screen but it only records to 30 FPS

ffmpeg -f dshow -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast output.mkv

So I did this
ffmpeg -f dshow -r 60 -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast output.mkv

As a result I get this:
[dshow @ 0000000000507fe0] Could not set video options
video=screen-capture-recorder: I/O error

WHAT the fuck am I doing wrong? Recording will work if I specify FPS value of 30 or lower but not 40, 50, or 60. Why, why won't this lazy good for nothing nigger record at 60 FPS?
>>
>>54934761
Don't use crf 0, and answer me this: are you using an AMD video card with tearfree desktop enabled?
>>
>>54934761
this is gonna sound dumb but did you try 30*2?
>>
File: ffd.png (5 KB, 592x134) Image search: [Google]
ffd.png
5 KB, 592x134
>>54934761
Wipe drive and reinstall.
>>
>>54934731
the windows bootloader will give itself priority on install, so you will need to chroot into your ubuntu with a live usb and reinstall grub, which is a huge pain in the ass. But after you have reinstalled, remember to turn off fast boot in windows, to prevent this happening again.
It will definitely be a headache.
>>
>>54934804
i assume i need to do that because grub will recognize windows and windows bootloader wont recognize ubuntu. now will grub recognize osx when i get it on there?
>>
>>54934786
Did not work, I am using a laptop with an A10 APU in it, no fancy desktop installed just stock windows 7 one I guess.

>>54934798
No dice

>>54934802
Would like to avoid this if possible.
>>
>>54934823
yeah it will, but you will need to change the grub configuration file in ubuntu. Although, personally i didnt even bother with my mac when i dualbooted it with xubuntu, i just used rEFInd. Either way, its not hard to do.

unless you are using windows for games, why not just use virtualbox in linux?
>>
>>54934859
>Did not work, I am using a laptop with an A10 APU in it, no fancy desktop installed just stock windows 7 one I guess.

Changing the CRF wouldn't fix this problem, it was just other advice.

Back to the point: go to your video driver settings and tell me if AMD(R) TearFree(TM) Desktop is enabled.
>>
gtx 970 or r9 390?
>>
Ok, /sqt/, I have this laptop (HP Slwekbook or whatever it's called) that I accidently drowned with water after a good ol' bottle hand-slipparino. This was like 1/2 year(s) ago. It was on and I immediately shut it off and unplugged everything but it never turned back on.
Now for work reasons I need a second laptop. Any chance this one is still salvageable, and is there anything I can do to check it?
>>
File: motherboard.jpg (29 KB, 719x569) Image search: [Google]
motherboard.jpg
29 KB, 719x569
I've got an old dell optiplex 990 that I'm gonna try to turn into a budget gaming rig

I don't know if the motherboard is ATX but that doesn't matter because I'm a cheap cunt and I just wanna throw it in a shitter case I have lying around

Anyway, the setup of the motherboard is shown here in the picture. The black dots are standoffs which are on the case and the mobo. The red dots are where the mobo has holes for standoffs but there are none in the case. Will this be fine? I'm worried that since both of the missing standoffs are on the same side that the board might slump there and fuck my shit up
>>
>>54934952
Could not find that option. I am on old Catalyst 14.12 drivers. Could this be the problem?
>>
>>54934984
r9 390 by far. my buddy got a 970 and he regrets it a lot since my 390 beats it in virtually any game now
>>
>>54934984
My Sapphire R9 280 can't push two 1600x900 displays without crashing on youtube.

So I'm probably obligated to say buyer beware.
>>
>>54934935
yeah i game on windows, and unless i get used to osx again it will continue to be my main os
>>
>>54934984
with either one I hope you know enough to wait like a month because the price of both is about to plummet
>>
>>54935028
>>54935032
I've heard that the 390 is better for higher resolutions but I'm only going to be playing on 1080 and the 970 is like $30 cheaper.
Should I still go for the 390? I'm also a little worried since I've heard that the 390 is a power hungry card.
>>
>>54935058
my guess is that when the new cards maintain stock, the 970 will stabilize at $175ish
>>
>>54935059
what psu you got
>>
>>54935071
Here's the build I have currently.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vFB6M8
>>
Hello, my current goal is to attend a 2 year college and then transfer to a quality 4 year university. Once I finish my degree I'll ideally have finished an internship for an intelligence agency as a computer scientist and will continue down that path.

Before this however I would like to study for a year on my own and I'm looking to power through MIT's OpenCourseWare http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=engineering&subcat=computerscience

My question for you guys is how relevant is that course to my goal? would I be better off learning from a pure computer science course or will the electrical engineering/computer science one cover enough?

also if anyone has a copypasta of other resources that are relevant to this and learning in general I would love to see it.
>>
>>54934984
Wait.
>>
>>54935019
Go to Catalyst Control Center, then go to Display Options, then look at Tear Free and see if it's enabled. This isn't that hard.
>>
>>54935083
550w is a little low for 390 but it might work.

also $300 is an awful price for a 970. please don't get a 970 when the 1070 is about to come out
>>
>>54935130
even bestbuy sells 970s for 280, he can find a lot cheaper
>>
>>54935142
there is no reason to buy a 970 right now anyway...
>>
Someone walk me through the pitfalls here:

I have a class of about 20 students, and I want to get them all copies of an ebook. The ebook is $6, which would be $120 to buy all the copies.

If I buy one DRM-free copy, then e-mail that copy to all my students, where does that fall apart? Can that be tracked by their ebook app (Kindle, etc?) Am I going to end up getting their tablets and phones bricked?

I want to assume that since Amazon ebooks are "DRM-free" then that should be literal and the files can be copied infinitely (even if they shouldn't be), but I also don't believe that Amazon doesn't have a way to track this.
>>
>>54935130
>>54935142
>>54935159
If my max budget was around $850 which gpu should I get? I only game at 1080p 60hz so I figured one of the newer cards would be kind of overkill but I can afford getting a 1070.
>>
This is kind of a tech support question which I'm sorry about but I don't really see this being a worksafe request so I don't know where else to ask.
A relative recently got laid off of work and they let her keep the phone and a lenovo x240 laptop. The only problem is that the laptop is encrypted and she doesn't have the necessary admin rights to add/remove software. She asked me to perform a factory restore but the normal restoration tools have also been removed/blocked by encryption.
I was hoping one of you would give me some direction with regards to how I would approach resetting the laptop to the normal factory conditions, thanks
>>
Very dumb question actually ; why do we need to make android roms machine-specific while we can make a single debian for all x86 machines ?
>>
File: Help2.jpg (522 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Help2.jpg
522 KB, 1920x1080
Why won't my ChromeCast work on my MikroTik router? I've tested it against multiple Chromecast that I know to be working and have no problems with other AP's/Routers.

Networking makes me feel dumb.
>>
>>54935178
What do you mean encrypted?

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

You can create an ISO of this and run it on the laptop and it will find any local usernames and passwords for you. This won't always work on ex-company machines as they may have disabled local accounts on their domain but it's worth a shot.
>>
File: no_option.png (186 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
no_option.png
186 KB, 1366x768
>>54935106
I don't see the option anywhere. I've looked for it for a solid 5 minutes under all settings in catalyst.
>>
>>54935164
>Amazon ebooks are "DRM-free"
Who told you that?'
>>
>>54935184
Because we want to play angry birds on our phones.
>>
File: Help1.jpg (63 KB, 662x319) Image search: [Google]
Help1.jpg
63 KB, 662x319
>>54935201
signal stats of the chromecast.

I've moved the thing everywhere to make sure it's not the signal but here's the stats.
>>
Is there some program that I can run on Windows that would be like Linux Shell?
That's the only real thing that I really like about Linux was just being able to use shell, compile with g++, and write programs with gedit.
>>
Things like Roku and Chromecast are not subscription based except for the services on it like Netflix, right? My parents have a Roku that they bought through their ISP and they're getting charged $20 a month for some "premium channels" or something. I assume those channels are another subscription service on the Roku that they don't actually know about or need.
>>
>>54935178
You're not going to crack it, so you'll need to overwrite it with a new OS install.
>>
>>54935241
There's no subscription. They probably accidentally signed up for something that they're getting charged for.
>>
>>54935219
Update your video driver, that's an older interface than I expected.
>>
>>54935235
There's a few. I'm using cygwin.
>>
>>54935228
Oh, sorry. It's been a bit since I used Kindle a lot and I thought they were, but it looks like I was removing the DRM through Calibre etc.

So let me rephrase: if I come into a DRM-free copy of an ebook (either by downloading it from bookzz.org or removing the DRM manually) is there any risk to my students handing the copies out?
>>
>>54935258
>Update your video driver, that's an older interface than I expected.
Okay I'll do that. So once I install the new driver and stuff should I have the tear-free option enabled or disabled to record with ffmpeg?
>>
My psu broke recently, can you guys recommend a good one?
>>
I bought a 500w power supply, what uses less power, the GTX 1070 or the RX 480?
>>
>>54935287
they aren't even out yet
>>
>>54935259
Nice. Thanks.
>>
>>54935235
Notepad++ is the Windows equivalent of gedit in that it's a GUI editor with all the basic functionality and no learning curve.
>>
>>54935215
>>54935243

>tfw no cd drive
A bootable flash disk would work right?
>>
>>54935277
Disabled.

It sets your refresh rate to 30fps.
>>
>>54935287
We don't know. I suspect the RX 480 will stay ~100 watts while playing vydia though.
>>
>>54935285
any gold certified is fine
doesn't matter the manufacturer
if you want overkill really nice PSU's there are HX and CX series out there that are great but really any gold certified one will be perfectly fine
>>
>>54935294
I like Notepad++, but not sure how I would compile what I write, though. I guess that's where something like what anon mentioned, cygwin, would come in.
Also, I assume Notepad++ has extensions for different language syntax then?
>>
>>54935305
Yes. That's what everyone who knows what they're doing uses.
>>
>>54935308
Hmm okay. Thank you so much for helping me anon. I think it's the graphics driver, I haven't updated it since like forever. Didn't notice how outdated they were until now haha.
>>
>>54935305
Should.

If you can't get the password this way then you'll have to do a fresh install. Two hurdles here will be getting a product key for Windows (if you're lucky it will be on a sticker on the laptop) and getting the drivers for the machine. I might look for those before starting.
>>
>>54935317
I think it does. Atom is good too. Why not emacs or vim? Shouldn't you be using either those or an IDE?
>>
What's the point in buying a higher wattage PSU?
>>
There are plenty of ad-blocking hosts files, but they all try to be very comprehensive (15k+ entries) Is there a "lite" hosts file that blocks fewer things? Like a 100 most-common ad and tracking servers or the like?

I ask because I want to put it on my router to try and protect some idiots that I live with, so I want to kill common things like google analytics with no risk of breaking anything for them, since it'll be a huge pain to troubleshoot that if it happens.
>>
What happens to my files when I downgrade my Win 10 to Win 7? Will they be all wiped out or would they still remain?
>>
>>54935347
>Why not emacs or vim?
I had no idea you could compile on those. I thought those were just fully featured text editors. I'll have to check those out, too, thanks.
>>
>>54934672
Banning will cut of parts of the network, you're not going to be seen and you wont get peers in return.
50 peers is quite low.Bump it ip to 100 atleast.
>>
>>54935441
Sounds like you want an IDE? I think you can make emacs do that, but I've always done it in a bash prompt in a different virtual terminal.
>>
File: pepe.png (7 KB, 237x212) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
7 KB, 237x212
My Nighthawk r7000 got zapped by lightening today and i'm looking to upgrade.
I'm looking for a router that has the best performance at distances > 100 feet.

So far I've read cnet, pc mag, and tom's guide and come up with 3 possible choices:

Asus-RT-AC88U
LINKSYS WRT1900ACS
Netgear Nighthawk X4S (R7800)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
>>
*lightning
>>
>>54935520
Get a UPS so it doesn't happen again.
>>
i installed a dds plugin for photoshop cs3 and enabled plugins in preferences, but when i try to open one it says it can't. i restarted photoshop and restarted my computer but neither of those worked.
what do i do?
>>
>>54935325
>>54935346
Alright, thanks guys
>>
>>54935548
it was on one and got fried anyway
>>
>>54935548
UPS can't protect against lightning. Even a full facility surge protection system might be overwhelmed.
What he needs is a lightning rod.
>>
Are mini monitors and mini PCs viable/a thing? I'm just asking offhand; I'm starting to realize that I unironically love the the feel of low-res UIs.

Windows 95 was such a look
>>
so my android can't send or receive picture messages through text
it's stock rom, but it is rooted
anyone have any ideas?
>>
Any good guides anywhere to help get me started on disassembling/reverse engineering game executables? Intended for making mods and stuff.
>>
>>54935672
You can probably find a small monitor with a low native resolution, though don't be surprised if many modern programs were not created with your resolution in mind and don't work too well.

Though with stuff like netbooks having been around for a while I'd imagine that most popular programs would be at least somewhat compatible.
>>
>>54935701
I had that problem
turned out it was a carrier thing, at least in my case. I solved it by saying "fuck it, I don't need picture messages that badly"
>>
I'm trying to decide on a PSU for my first scratch build, I'm still waiting to see how much the 9xx cards drop if at all once the 1070 comes out but I would want a power supply that could handle sli 970 in the future or a bump up in the starting gpu if the prices drop enough. Suggestions?
I'm really just going for smooth high-max setting 1080p performance but with room to upgrade later so I don't have to build another any time soon.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FGG7Yr
>>
>>54935520
no one has any suggestions?
>>
>>54935760
this what i said to myself, but now that i have friends it's so frustrating to get a notif that says "unable to receive picture message" and you can't even let that person know it didn't go thru because you don't know who sent it
also i called my carrier and they told me to factory reset, which i originally said no to but am considering now
>>
>>54935785
And I'll mention I was looking at the RM 750W but 750 feels overkill.
>>
What font should I use when I write a letter to the new neighbor?
>>
How do I get a list of all of the peers from deluge?
>>
>>54935885
How are you not finding that tab? Do you mean for all the torrents combined?
>>
im always paranoid about things like "firefox sync"
where you create a firefox account to sync up your phone and pc
am i being a retard? is there any validation to my worry? tell me what to think /g/ ):
>>
>>54935901
>Do you mean for all the torrents combined?
Yes.
>>
So i put what i thought was a compatible laptop hard disk into another laptop's hard disk bay. The hard disk seemed to fit into the bay but when i turned the computer on the PC did not recognize the disk.

How fugged am i?
>>
>>54935920
Not really, but it encrypts client-side so it's pretty secure for now.
>>
>>54935992
Did you feel the connectors click into place? Are you just looking at it in Windows? Or did you check in motherboard's own config thing whatever it's called nowadays and/or in GNU/Linux?
>>
Are there any good computer repair courses I can take over the summer to get a certificate too? Just so I can have it up. Also a course that goes over soldering and other low level things than just replacing parts in a computer?
>>
>>54936038
I use GNU/Linux.
The hard disk was set to boot. No boot, sadly.

No click, my main concern is that the hard disk might have received some electricity and died.
>>
Which Multimeter is good?
>>
File: screws.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
screws.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
can I use this to screw the motherboard into the standoffs
>>
What's the best android note taking app with emphasise on security. :^)
>>
>>54936156
Yes.
>>
NoteCipher.
Encrypts your notes. Made by the same guys who made orbot. Get it on F-Droid
>>
>>54936178
>>54936165
woops.
>>
>>54936114
Fluke is highly regarded, but there's lots of cheaper ones that get the job done. Some multimeters have bonus features!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmbsBYVTQ0
>>
>>54936021
>>54935920

You can run your own sync server if your that paranoid about it. Only issue with that is that you still need an account to make it work. You can also set up your own accounts server but that's a major pain to get up and running atm.
>>
>>54936202
Damn, though I forgot to mention the "cheap"

Do you think anything would be alright?
>>
I'm planning on assembling a vidyagaymen desktop pretty soon, and was wondering if the new Broadwell-E processors were worthwhile over Skylake.
I understand that Haswell-E had much worse single core performance so it wasn't recommended for /v/ activities, but I'd like to have 6 cores for faster video editing and smoother streaming. If Broadwell-E has a significantly smaller dip in single core performance the extra expense would be worth it to me.
>>
>>54935785
>>54935841
pls respong
>>
File: bulkmeier and skullovitch.gif (849 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
bulkmeier and skullovitch.gif
849 KB, 375x281
>>54936029
>>
>>54936021
>>54936223
none of that sync server shit for me, im a dummie
thats why i was asking if my paranoia is even valid, because i dont know shit
thanks for the advice tho fellas, ill go through with the syncing
>>
>>54936236
Whatever you can get is probably good enough for what you're doing. Just be careful if it doesn't have built-in protections.
>>
Is there a way to force deluge to scrape all of the trackers at the same time like utorrent does?
>>
>>54936261
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TWTLWT8

This is cheapest. I was planning on practicing soldering and testing wires if they were soldered correctly or not. Is a multimeter a good idea to use for the testings?

Also, probably to use later on in my field.
>>
Is it true that Android tablets are terrible in comparison to iPads?
>>
>>54936063
where do you live? around me there's a place called a "technical college" or "vocational school" and they have courses that teach that stuff.
>>
>>54936355
Dude, there are about a fucking TRILLION different android tablets and how many ipads?
Just think about that for a second.
>>
>>54936366
New IP. I'm in LA. But I don't want to just go to a new school since it's summer. I'm looking for something where I can take a test and pass it for the certificate asap. Also maybe learn some other things in one month or so. Not a long term college.
>>
>>54936386
I've heard that the Android OS is a terrible experience on most tablets compared to the experience on phones
>>
>>54936404
>go to phone store
>experience both shitty tablets first hand
>????
>profit
>>
>>54936404
so my file explorer dosent work when i reinstalled windows using f12 wat do
>>
>>54936404
For my personal use cases, Android is way more capable since it can run stuff without Apple's approval.
>>
Best music players for Android?
>>
Lately my tablet keeps getting an error that touchwiz home stopped working. I googled it and tried some fixes but it keeps popping up. Anyone have a less known but higher success rate solution?
>>
>>54934171
is there a /g/ for retards starter infographic for programming or anything you asshats might be interested in?
>>
>>54936618
go read the sticky
>>
>>54936618
Read the fucking sticky. There's a goddamn wiki. This shit isn't tricky.
>>
File: neckbeardmag.jpg (66 KB, 504x720) Image search: [Google]
neckbeardmag.jpg
66 KB, 504x720
Is it socially acceptable to not spend a significant portion of my existence memorizing lists of aliases of musical performers?
>>
>>54936618
If you need to ask this, you may not be enough of a self starter to be a competent programmer. But you can at least be a shit programmer. There's still plenty of opportunity for anyone with the will to mash a keyboard until it works. That's why it takes a supercomputer to display a web page now.
>>
>>54935164
google the pdf fgt
>>
File: Dmx-year-of-the-dog.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Dmx-year-of-the-dog.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>54936639
If it takes a significant portion of your existence to perform such a simple task I doubt you'll really be accepted by anyone, since you're clearly retarded.

Just focus on one genre I guess. I recommend closeted homosexual negroid rappers.
>>
How do you download all the webms on a thread?
>>
>>54936712
What is wget
>>
>>54936705
Is that why so many of his lyrics are about how gay he isn't?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-05-21-44-48.png (199 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-05-21-44-48.png
199 KB, 1440x2560
Why does adguard do this?
>>
>>54936725
>wget
explain pls
>>
>>54936739
Indeed. He has also ass raped a lot of men to assert his dominance. No small show of strength considering his absolutely massive shlong.
>>
>>54936725
Also im on windows.
>>
Should I?
>>
>>54936833
Yes, definitely.
>>
I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, but whenever I install updates, after the initial service pack 1 update, no other updates install. It's just stuck on searching for updates or downloading updates. It worked in the past just fine. I went back because I'm tired of Windows 10's bullshit, but not fully ready to hit Linux. Any fix for this? I'm currently reinstalling Windows.
>>
This shit any good?
http://www.userbenchmark.com
Mostly CPU/GPU.
>>
>>54936982
tired of what shit exactly? w10 has been flawless for me so far.
>>
>>54937012
I dunno. The graphics remind me of bad free software. I usually look at pissmark's charts.
>>
>>54937012
The user sentiment and value shit is worthless. Votes are contributed by idiots and the prices are outdated. Rest of it is sound.
>>
>>54936758
Just use DownThemAll!, winfag.
>>
>>54936982
Same thing started happening to me
Out of curiosity, check your task manager and show all processes then check how much CPU/RAM svchost is using
>>
File: FK1_top.jpg (366 KB, 1386x2079) Image search: [Google]
FK1_top.jpg
366 KB, 1386x2079
I'm thinking about moving on from my Deathadder 3.5G. I'm considering the Zowie FK2. I didn't like my Deathadder since it was a bit fat on the back end for my fingertip grip. I don't play vidya anymore but I appreciate a good mouse.

Can I configure the side buttons on Debian and should I go with this mouse?
>>
>>54936982
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3055885/microsoft-windows/its-time-for-microsoft-to-fix-the-windows-7-update-slowdowns.html
>>
Why are all the 486 computers on Ebay listed for well over $100? Where the fuck did so many people get the idea that their run of the mill DOS computer is worth that much? None of them seem to be moving. I have a few computers of that era but I got them for free and I doubt that I could get over $50 for them. Did 486 machines suddenly become collectible? People are also asking about the same for computers all the way up to Pentium 4 computers and passing them off as DOS gaming machines.
>>
Anyone have an old version of ViewTube that will work with mozplugger 1.14.5?
>>
>>54937237
It's time to upgrade to Windows 10, grandpa.
>>
>>54937280
Here's your shekel
>>
>>54937242
most people on ebay aren't tech enthusiasts, they're selling-things-online enthusiasts. And for most things "vintage" stuff is worth more, and the value increases the older it gets. They don't understand that, other than a few specific machines like the IBM 5150, these have no value as collectibles, and when they get bought it's just some guy who wants to dick around in assembly language or play some obscure game.

See also: how hard it is to find a Pentium Pro that isn't a lot of 50 CPUs being advertised as gold scrap.
>>
File: 1465192689651.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1465192689651.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1296
I was playing a game, listening to music and switching from 1 pc to another using synergy when the screen freaks put. Restarting it results in a glitched out screen followed by blackness and no loading. Using win 8.1
>>
1. I just downloaded utorrent app from Google Play onto my phone, torrent a file and then play it with its integrated player. Several minutes into the media, the player suddenly inserted an advertisement into the media. Is my phone infected by sone virus?

2. Is there any material that can quickly cooldown a phone externally and is portable?

3. I am currently subscribing to two different mobile operators' unlimited UMTS plan. Is there anyway to aggregate their bandwidth on my amdroid dualsim phone?
>>
Is wireshark enough to find out if ubuntu is phoning home? I found just one connection to their server, and it was to syncronize the time. It's useful since dual booting fucks up the hardware clock. Is there any spying i should be aware of or can i just install it and expect some privacy?
Of course i'm going to avoid the nonfree repo (multiverse and restricted). Is it necessary to switch to the libre kernel or can i keep the default one?
>>
>>54937318
>utorrent
Enjoy your malware
>>
>>54937294
But seriously, it doesn't make business sense for Microsoft to allocate resources to Windows 7 at this point. It would be competing against their own product.
>>
File: 1465193077547.jpg (959 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1465193077547.jpg
959 KB, 2304x1296
>>54937306
This is it in safe mode. Wtf is going on?
>>
>>54937335
It's not about allocating resources it it, its about intentionally causing problems. Doing nothing requires less resources than fucking things up.
>>
>>54937318
Use Flud.
>>
In python2, when I do
print '' or 'dickbutt'
, why does it default to the second string instead of printing a blank line?
>>
>>54937306
>>54937351
hardware failure. Video card would be my first guess, could also be the monitor itself.
>>
>>54937351
Test your monitor and cable with a different computer, or test a different monitor and cable with that computer
If shit's still fucked then your GPU probably pissed itself
>>
>>54937372
>>54937384

Shit. Monitor seems fine. Whats a fix? When it loads up the keyboard is unresponsive, cant toggle caps and scroll lock.
>>
>>54937357
Slow updates are already an established part of the Windows 7 experience. Not pushing them would make Windows 10 less better.
>>
>>54937362
I'm now using ttorrent instead. Is Flud any good?
>>
>>54937397
something inside the box is fucked. Swap components with known-good ones one-by-one. Start with the power supply if you can.
>>
Best GTX card for 160?
>>
>>54937422
The pc cost over 900. I have no spare parts, unless you mean my second pc?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-05-23-16-31.png (290 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-05-23-16-31.png
290 KB, 1080x1920
>>54937409
Less obnoxious ads and it has a sweet notification.
>>
>>54937440
Is this a prebuilt we're talking about?
>>
>>54937433
950, but pay a little more for 960
>>
>>54937472
No custom made. Got the list from imgur, goal was to play fallout 4. Ill try to find it.
>>
>>54937433
950. EVGA has the best deals right now. >>54937480 Also this.
>>
>>54937318
ok, so (1.) solved. How about (2.) and (3.) ?
>>
>>54937485
>got the list from imugr
oh god
>>
File: 1465118069503.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
1465118069503.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>54937357
Yeah, that's what I figured. I assume they're doing it on purpose because people would rather use Windows 7 than to move up. Hense, why they did another hidden update to install Windows 10 in the background. This manchild explains it well... https://youtu.be/TXTWCqTRIag?t=280

That's the reason alone not to use Windows 10. There's clearly something going on. Besides, why not just use Windows 7? Windows 10 is only good if you're a gaymer or if you like metro apps. I've had 10 and there was no point in it. I never used any of the "features" of it, in fact, it just made things more redundant and annoying to use. There's no need for three different ways to get to the settings.

Windows 7 is all you need. And Windows 10 is ugly. Microsoft can't design a UI.
>>
>>54937472
>>54937485
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2j2bbv

My mom lost her job a few days ago and im in school, so theres no way i can get another set of parts any time soon.

>>54937500
I asked two IT/CS guys and they gave me good feedback
>>
>Voy a colocar dos hombres aquí durante la noche.

Could someone say that on vocaroo? Duolingo rejects it no matter how many different ways I say it. And only that sentence.
>>
>>54937480
The 4gb model?
>>
>>54937543
If it's just for /v/idya, no.
>>
>>54937519
Most of the parts are probably still under warranty so if you figure out whats wrong it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>54937440
Do you know the spec of yoyr different PCs and do you know how much are their sockets/etc. compatible with each other?
>>
>>54934171
am i really safe just with malwarebytes on win 7?
>>
>>54937684
Yes you are safe, now go open that email your long lost aunt sent you.
>image.jpg.exe
>>
File: maximusV.jpg (68 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
maximusV.jpg
68 KB, 700x466
>>54934171

I have an Asus Maximus V, which is a wicked looking piece of hardware might I add, and the turd won't post. I have the bare essentials installed: MoBo in case, i7, one stick of ram, power supply. I know the PS is good and I tried 3 different sticks of ram in every slot but the board just power cycles. I don't even case button header plugged in, I turn it on and off with the board power switch.

The board was taken from the box and installed, aside from its age, it is essentially brand new, never used.

Is my board fried /g/?
>>
>>54937684
No. Unless you have Common Sense Pro or Deluxe you need a proper anti virus as well.
>>
>>54937684
You're never safe from your own stupidity
>>
>>54937654
Not at all. Im going to open the problem pc up, see if there is an obvious fault then come back to this in the morning

>>54937650
Are paper receits normally needed? i have all the emails comfirming purchase
>>
>>54937684
>>>54934171 (OP)am i really safe just with malwarebytes on win 7?

MWB has a pretty shit catch rate and real time monitoring but it is a great removal tool.
>>
>>54937750
The email invoice should be fine
>>
File: 1465195928813.jpg (958 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1465195928813.jpg
958 KB, 2304x1296
>>54937774
>>54937654
>>54937650
Nothing looks wrong. Only thing i see it dust on the graphics card. Could that have short circuited it?
>>
>>54937732
I giggled at that pic
>>
>>54937818
>red ram in black and blue motherboard
There's your problem!
>>
>>54937872
Thanks for your valuable input.
>>
I'm about to get internet at my house form cox Internet in Vegas

They, like Comcast and time warner in Los Angeles, offer a rented modem model which is an additional $10 per month

The model they give out is this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007OAHDTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1465195778&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=cisco+modem&dpPl=1&dpID=41cQO2TBwZL&ref=plSrch but I believe the one Comcast gives you has like 8 Ethernet ports and I think the amazon one only has 1 and also the rented modems all have a wifi built in

I heard the it is best to just buy a modem and router separately which luckily for me I have a router from tmobile for free(http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html) which is essentially the asus router that ranges from $200 or so
Now for the modem I hear http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI is the best modem to get for pratically any speed the problem I have is it only has one Ethernet port

I assume I connect both the modem and router through a Ethernet cable to work

I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing since I never moved out of state just to work and live and order my own service for my own house at 24.
I'm pretty tech illerate I won't lie but I did built my own PC last year and have gotten better at researching product before I impulse buy

Any tips or anything
>>
>>54937932
Psssh… Nothin Personnel… Kid…
>>
File: f94.jpg (52 KB, 600x493) Image search: [Google]
f94.jpg
52 KB, 600x493
is 77-78 degrees Celsius ok for my 6700K to be running at, max?
>>
>>54937966
Yes. Anything below 90 is probably good.
>>
>>54937995
thx m8
>>
>>54937919
Are you serious? then why did it work for 6 months?
>>
>>54937965
My mobo is worth more than your chromebook and you clearly can't provide any valuable input.

3/10 for getting me to reply.
>>
>>54938015
Don't be daft.
>>
Anywhere I can get a toolchain for MIPS Linux 2.6?
>>
>>54938044
Thanks babe ;)
>>
>>54937944
Anyone?
>>
>>54938068
hello femanon
>>
I feel like falling for a meme. 4k TN panels are quite cheap.

Convince me to buy a cheaper, lower res IPS instead.
>>
>>54938278
Chocolate or vanilla?
>>
File: 1444236908724.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1444236908724.png
362 KB, 700x700
>>54938303
>>
>>54938323
What, are you some kind of strawberry fag?
>>
>>54938338
Mint chocolate then.
>>
>>54938350
Get a Vive
>>
>>54938366
is that like telling someone to get an std?
>>
Whats the best windowed mid tower? I wasn't interested in a window until I got my new mobo that has a temp display on it. I've been looking at the Corsair Carbide 400 and NZXT H440.
>>
>>54938445
Define R5, but it seems really inconvenient to use it for that.
>>
>>54938445
Windowed cases haven't been fashionable since the 00s. You don't need to see the temps and pretend you're piloting a battlemech while you play with your toys. Your computer takes care of that stuff automatically.
>>
>>54938468
Stupid reason, I know. But, if I'm ever playing a game I get paranoid about the cpu temp and I don't have a 2nd monitor to watch it.
>>
>>54938513
Ok. So, which non windowed case would you recommend? I still like both of the non windowed versions of the 2 I mentioned.
>>
>>54938518
The worst that will happen is it gets noisy and maybe throttles itself a little. Your computer hardware is specifically engineered to not self destruct. If you're not in extreme discomfort from heat, your computer will be fine.
>>
>>54938535
Rosewill Challenger U3 is pretty gud, has a fan in front, back, and top.
>>
>>54938518
why not use realtemp gt and set it to siren when it reaches the temp you don't want to go over? you can set the gpu and cpu separately on that too.
>>
>>54938535
I like the Define R5 because no logos, but have a plan to obscure that face of the case if you ever have a grill over. Gamers have done much to stigmatize themselves in recent years.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.