[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/spg/ - Smartphone General: Note 6(7) dual camera edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 223x226
If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
http://www.gsmarena.com
http://www.phonearena.com
http://www.kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
http://willmyphonework.net
http://frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
http://www.gizchina.com/
http://www.gizmochina.com/

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of May 2016
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Samsung Galaxy Note 6(7) might feature a dual camera setup
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_samsung_galaxy_note7_edge_might_feature_a_dualcamera_setup-news-18585.php

>ZUK announces new memephone ZUK Z2
http://www.gizmochina.com/2016/05/31/zuk-z2-announced-snapdragon-820-4gb-ram-priced-cheaper-mi5/

>Asus announces Zenfone 3 alongside premium Deluxe and giant Ultra models
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/30/11809676/asus-zenfone-3-deluxe-ultra-announced-specs

>Massive: Asus Zenfone 3 phones launch with 6GB of RAM and 6.8-inch display
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/massive-asus-zenfone-3-phones-launch-with-6gb-of-ram-and-6-8-inch-display-1322398

>ARM’s new CPU and GPU will power mobile VR in 2017
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/29/11808042/arm-cortex-a73-mali-g71-computex-2016
>>
>>54877403
There is no reason not to buy a note 4 if you need a new phone.
>>
>>54877433
I'd reccommend against that though. While Note 4 is GOAT and you definitely shouldn't switch from it until it breaks, it's starting to get pretty outdated.

Also it's still very expensive in Europe because no Note 5.
>>
Should I get the mi max?
>>
How fucked is the battery on my lg g4?
>>
>>54877877
This is with brightness on 20 percent
>>
>>54877877
>>54877902
That's nexus 5 tier battery m8. Replace it.
>>
Anyone here got an LG G5? I'm kind of tempted by removable battery but I want to hear what /g/ has to say vs. average phone review site

particularly in terms of build and audio quality
>>
I'm in the ~300€ budget section and have a hard time finding a good replacement that doesn't have a major flaw, I've considered every phone except for chinkshits and Xperia phones.

Should I just give up and go with the Xperia Z3?
Only flaw it has that I know of is that its build design is brittle, which I can fix with a proper case.c The E5 doesn't look to bad on paper either.
>>
>>54878725
Guy with both S7 and G5 here again, if you have any specific questions fire away.
>>
>>54878804
Which android skin do you prefer?
Which gets better battery life; do you use an extra battery with the G5?
Which would you rather have to use, if either, for the next 1-2 years?
How does performance compare on each?
>>
>>54878872
>Which android skin do you prefer?
LG'S, though touchwiz has improved a lot
>Which gets better battery life; do you use an extra battery with the G5?
S7 by far, gets 10-11 hours SoT with my usage. G5 gets 6-7.
>Which would you rather have to use, if either, for the next 1-2 years?
The S7 was the one I chose, my wife took the G5. My main deciding factor was the smaller size, 1-handed comfort and fitting well in a pocket.
>How does performance compare on each?
I have the international exynos s7 so it's the fastest a phone gets in 2016, but the G5's SD820 is still very fast and never stutters.
>>
>>54878965
>though touchwiz has improved a lot
Not that guy, but am curious about samsung after years of avoiding it like the plague after bad experiences in the past.

Have you done anything to make touchwiz more palatable and you *still* find the LG nicer? (different launcher/bloat removal etc.).
Or was your reply based on stock for both?

>>54878804
Also, why did you choose the S7 over he edge model? Was that one ever in consideration?
>>
File: 1423160473090.gif (127 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1423160473090.gif
127 KB, 500x280
>>54877403
just got my htc 10 and finally got time to sit with it.
downloading all the same apps i had on my iphone 4.
what else should i get on it? and is there anything i need to be aware of?
>>
Just got a Xiaomeme Mi5 and I can't log in to google services. I tried both getting the apks and using the google app downloader. I'm stuck on a chinkrom because you can't downgrade to a lower version of rom (which the global one is) without unlocking the bootloader. Why did I fall for the meme?
>>
my Samsung note 3 just died to rain
i need a new phone
>really liked the pen stuff, but ended up installing cyanogen for updates
>really liked the colorful screen
>don't REALLY need that much power
>battery was goat, though
what should i get?
i saw a beautiful aquos on a homescreen thread, but i have never seen those
maybe a rugged could be nice, since i like to use my phone as a satnav on my motorbike
>>
>>54879151
>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.
ITA, unlocked
>>
>>54879110
He said one handed use; the edge is not only bigger but causes a lot of ghost touches. I personally wouldn't choose it due to the glare/text overflow it has

>>54878965
Could you comment on the build quality of each?
Also, do you use Good Lock? I've heard it makes Touchwiz a lot better.

Considering a Note 6 once we get some real information, want a premium Android with good battery that doesn't have the edge screen.
>>
>>54879110
I've just disabled some bloat, installed a dark material theme and nova launcher as I would on any other device. I used LG phones mostly for the last few years and always preferred their overall android skin, just feels light and clean.

The s7 edge was just too big and I'm still not sold on the usefulness of the edge features.
>>
>>54879292
Both have excellent build quality and feel very solid with a decent amount of weight. I've seen that there have been some QA issues with G5s where the joint between the body and the removable chin isn't flush but mine doesn't have this issue, it's perfectly aligned with no gap or flex.
I haven't tried good lock yet, it looks nice but I've read it still has a few annoying bugs so waiting until it's updated a bit more.
>>
>>54879151
>>54879287
pls, guise
>>
I need the truth, how long do smart phones last?
How often do you need to change them.
>>
>>54879396
Yeah I can imagine that connector is hard to get perfect if you don't have Samsung or Apple level of manufacturing

Just trying to decide whether to go for

G5- cleaner skin, removable battery, no glass back
S7 - better camera, easier to fit in hand, better screen, better battery
Note 6 (or 7 if they call it that) - same as S7 but bigger so harder to fit in hand but much better battery

If they don't shrink the note's battery I might end up with it, but the glass construction making it harder to hold in one hand and more fragile would worry me
>>
>>54879524
depends on usage really, my old iphone 4 could last several days but then i only used it for calls since it's completely bricked by the newer ios updates
>>
>>54879524
last one lasted 2 years
i still use my first nokia as a beater
>>
>>54879524
They can remain functional for 10 years+
Depends on your definition of "need" to change. Most people go with a 2 yearly cycle as your old device still has a moderate resale value and that's when you tend to get good upgrade deals from your carrier if on contract.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160602-002850.jpg (180 KB, 1437x971) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160602-002850.jpg
180 KB, 1437x971
>>54879540
Battery wise I've never had a phone that lasts as long as this S7, after a long days use on any other phone I'm always in single digit %, this thing always has plenty of juice to spare.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160602-002844.png (175 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160602-002844.png
175 KB, 1440x2560
>>54879621
>>
>>54879494
Nice screen and big battery is tough on a budget... The new note is coming out soon (mid August) but will be expensive
Have you looked at Nexus phones? The 6P has a very nice screen and decent battery and is one of the best for updates.
>>
are there any fucking smartphones that take 64 gig SD cards?
wtf is up with thie 32g bullshit?
>>
>>54879524
N5 still going strong from 2013, will probably get another 3 years out of it with a new battery and cyanogenmod
>>
I've been looking at getting a mid range samsung for a while now but I just noticed that I could get a last gen flagship like an iphone 5 for the same price second hand.

Are second hand versions of very expensive phones better than first hand versions of mid level ones?
>>
>>54879762
there's no artificial limitation

in the old days you had to watch out for sdhc versus sdxc and in more recent years you had to convert exfat to fat32 but in the last 3 years that shit really doesn't matter
>>
>>54879621
Wow that's impressive. Are you typically on Wifi or on mobile data? What's your brightness usually at? You might have convinced me to go with basic S7 here
>>
>>54879773
either get an older flagship for new (or used if you're poor), get a nexus, or get a chinkphone
>>
>>54879762
Bellshill is exactly what it is. Almost all of them really take any microsd card that exists, it's just to do with them only taking fat32 formatted cards, which only officially supports up to 32GB but any 3rd party formatting tool can circumvent that.
>>
>>54879773
Particularly with iPhones the battery is likely to have degraded. Especially on a 5
>>
>>54879784
Mostly wifi, 4g when I'm out with the kids. Brightness is on auto, seems to mostly sit around 50% when indoors.
>>
>>54879792

I figured that it would be like cars in that you have people that will buy the new BMW or Mercedes every generation because they're all about keeping up appearances, so when a newer version of that car comes out you end up with a load of the last gen ones for cheap which is why BMW's and Mercedes depreciate like crazy.

The must be an absolute shitload of very good condition flagship phones.
>>
>>54879838
That's pretty awesome, I'll probably wait to see what the Note is like (particularly size wise) but thanks for the tips

What's the most recent iPhone you used and how would you compare the S7 to it? I know the screen is far better but what else would you say is better or worse?
>>
>>54879739
well, the note usually got me to 70 if i shitposted from work, i don't need thet much, but i can't deal with barely-half-a-day either
>>
>>54879845
the only difference between your car analogy is that the quality of a smartphone is highly dependent on the quality of its software

so you should trust companies that keep their older models updated so you don't have to rely on cm or pajeet on xda reverse engineering your camera blobs when the manufacturer kicks your phone to the curb
>>
>>54879868
Brother has a 6S, find it to be very underwhelming. Obscene amount of bezel and the overall apple software experience has always felt poor to me.
>>
>>54879895

So which are the best phones in terms of long term software support?
>>
>>54879939
Nexus devices are your best bets

The rest is kind of a crapshoot.

LGE is pretty good
Sony is alright but hit or miss
Samsung isn't great

If you are on a budget and don't care about a microsd slot you can get a Nexus 5x for $229 using the google fi 'trick'
>>
>>54879897
Cool, thanks for answering all of my questions. Looking forward to the samsung I'll be getting :)
>>
>>54879939
iphone
nexus
samsung flagship
(in that order)

regular android phones get like 2 updates at max
>>
Anyone have the Xperia z5 compact?

I'd prefer a small phone, and that one seems to be the only non-apple one worth looking at right now.

Any reasons to swear off it one only discovers after substantial use?
>>
>>54879939
Other than the obvious nexus phones, LG have a great proven track record of getting updates out before any other OEM and giving at least 2 years of support.
Samsung also support for 2+ years on their flagships but can be pretty slow.
Sony have done OS upgrades for 3 year old phones, but are the slowest of all and can be 6 months late.
Other manufacturers tend to do 1 or 2 os updates at best then it's up to you to flash custom roms to stay up to date.
>>
>>54879780
>>54879798
oh okay, brilliant
>>
Am I the only one who likes a phone without Play Services? Two weeks in and nothing of value was lost. Screen time is better and more consistent.
>>
My Huawei P7 is shitting itself and it hasn't even been 2 years since I bought it. Would all phones I get in such a price range have such short longevity or is it just that P7 is shitty?
>>
>>54880514
>shitting itself
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54880090
My mum has it. The build quality is amazing, camera is pretty good, it's fast. It might not concern you but if you are a mac user, the file transfer app they have is really good, certainly much better than the shitty android file transfer thing. The battery life is surprisingly good too, even though she usually keeps everything open (bluetooth, wi-fi, nfc etc.) all the time and uses the phone frequenly , it's more than enough for one day, sometimes even two.
>>
>>54880528
It's Indian.
>>
>>54880528
Battery life decreased significantly, frequently overheats, and it might be software related but sometimes it reboots itself randomly and after 5.1 update, it's pretty slow as well.
>>
>>54880586
You tried a factory reset, right?
>>
>>54880615
Yup
>>
Used Galaxy note 4 or brand new redmi note 3? The note 4 is like $40 more expensive.
>>
Whats the latest on the Note 6- I mean 7. Last I heard was the name change and the 4000mah battery actually being 3600
>>
is it true that snapdragon 810 is the worst chipset ever? does the xperia z5/z5c overheat?
>>
>>54880932
Y/Y
>>
>>54881261
thanks
>>
Should I get a Lenovo Vibe K5? For free.
>>
I'm looking for an LTE phone in the US with two gigs of RAM, removable battery, micro SD and rootable for att for around 150. I have a moto e 2 and it won't make call ls even after several factory resets.
>>
>>54877403
Writting this from my htc10
Still dont care much for 4can mobile
>>
anyone here using a oneplus x or other chink phone in america, im concerned about the drawbacks of being forced to use hspa+
>>
>>54880652
Hate to break it to you, but all iterations after become cumulatively worse.
>>
The /g/ wiki isn't helpful. Is frostwire OK to use for torrents? Also, is there any youtube downloader that actually grabs 1080p60fps videos? I'm too dumb to find one, apparently.
>>
>>54879524
Really as long as you don't break anything the only thing you need is to change the battery. Phones aren't improving a huge amount these days
>>
my verizon lg g4 just came in. how long does it take to activate at the store? i can take it in tomorrow but if take like 2 fucking hours i cant and ill have to wait till monday
>>
>>54878464
I used a nexus 5 until 3 days ago.

It's better than what he posted. Please don't insult my Nexus ever again.
>>
>>54879621
Pretty good.

Here's mine, not too far off. Redmi 3 pro.
>>
>>54883522
You can do it over the phone, even from the one you are replacing
>>
Why would you buy a galaxy note past 4?
>>
>>54883522

It takes literally no time at all. Hell you could do it by phone.
>>
>>54877403
When does the next Nexus come out?

whichever one is succeeding the 6p?
>>
Anybody has the moto g4 plus? I'm probably buying it this week but want to hear some opinions first.
>>
Best 5 inch screen phone for US use? Need an SD slot, too.
>>
>>54884182
They always come out in october
>>
>ctrl-f canada canadian canadians canuck canucks

for canadians looking for a data plan
theres a $40/1gb data Fido promo going on right now
usually at the $40 mark carriers only give you 500mb at most, but Fido is having a double your data promo for the weekend.
It's not the best plan, but it beats $40/500mb like usual
>>
>>54883605
>>54884085
whoa thanks a lot anons.
>>
Nexus 6p or galaxy s7 edge?

Stock Android, fast updates, front facing speakers vs. SD card slot, easier to one hand, snapdragon 820, and waterproof

I'm also not big on the edge. Makes watching videos awkward, and you can't use glass screen protectors
>>
>>54884425
What the fuck Canada?

Ausfag here. For 40 dollars you can get 10GB data and unlimited calls and texts.

I'm paying 60 dollars and getting 15GB monthly.

4g.
>>
Wheres the best place to get a G4?

I bought a sprint version on ebay that apparently doesnt get 4G or MMS on tmobile, so returning it and looking for a tmobile one now.
>>
>>54884739
Canada has some of the worst mobile rates in the first world. Providers justify it with our large land mass and low population density
>>
>>54884381
ooh thanks
>>
>>54885072
>large land mass
Fair enough.
>>
File: 1459091905463.jpg (48 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1459091905463.jpg
48 KB, 960x960
Total smartphone noob here. (I've only used dumbphones up to this point)

I need advice on what phone hardware to get.

I want to get an android phone with a very selective Google-integration. I don't want to use google play on the phone itself - instead I intend to have an android emulator running on my desktop and use that to download the necessary apk-files.

I do understand that there some limitations here. For an example, google maps forces the user to sing in to a google account. Other than google maps I only foresee that I would like to use gmail - which I'm fine with accessing simple through firefox.

I don't intend this to be a google-free phone just google-minimal phone.

Suggestions?

(Don't you just love having to enable google.com javascript to post on 4chan?)
>>
>>54884504
I second this question. Im literally $20 away from buying an s7 edge but if I go with the 6p then I can get cases, a portable charger and other miscellaneous items. the only thing that's pushing me away is that new phones are coming out and im worried that ill regret getting the 6p, should I be worried?
>>
Just got my redmi note 3 pro from chinkland guys, anyone know a good case for it? I'm prone to dropping phones. Also, is a tempered screen protector necessary?
>>
File: 1400689471270.png (7 KB, 126x121) Image search: [Google]
1400689471270.png
7 KB, 126x121
Hi people, my brother bought me an Iphone 6 Plus.
I've always been used to android based smartphones
I wondered how could I get the most of it?
Should I buy applications? Should I jailbreak it?
Can I get free apps just by importing the .apk or app from my pc to the phone? Do I need to jailbreak it?
>>
I want the new Galaxy Note. Its supposed to launch in early August. I'll be leaving America shortly after it comes out.

Will I be able to order it directly from Samsung with no contact? Can I throw an MVNO sim in there and be ok?

If I wait until I move is probably have to buy it on contract, which I want to avoid.
>>
>>54886076
What do you mean by "get the most out of it"?

You can't customize it like an Android. Jail break will only get you free apps, and is the only way to get free aps. No apk install for iOS.
>>
>>54886118
Thanks for your answer.
I mean like modify the launcher on my device or to mainly get free apps.
How could I jailbreak it? Where can I get apps aside from the app store?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-03-09-30-05_1.jpg (212 KB, 1074x1540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-03-09-30-05_1.jpg
212 KB, 1074x1540
>>54877722
What?
>>
>>54886169
I don't know how to jailbreak, but find what os release you are on and On site Google can help.

As far as I'm aware the app store is the only place to get iOS apps.. It isn't open like Android, Apple controls everything.
>>
>>54886076
Ignore the other anon he was stupid. Today you can sideload pretty much and with jailbreak you can do everything with it except getting widgets. With jailbreak you get cydia which some huge repositories which provides many packages like activator (to make shortcuts eg. Longpress of louder button to skip a song). Just look up if you ios version is already having a untethered jailbreak. The tethered ones means that you need to boot the iphone with your pc to get the jailbreak tools running again.
Just look up how to do it on YouTube and maybe watch some best cydia tweeks/tools.
>>
>>54886305
Excuse my grammar...
>>
>>54886261
>>54886305
Thank you both for the answers.
Sideloading means I can actually get free apps without jailbreaking the phone?
>>
I have 2 android devices, how do i use 1 to remote control the other via bluetooth for a better comfy experience?
>>
>>54886421
>There is a way to sideload apps without jailbreaking, using Apple’s Enterprise Certificate, which allows companies to sideload their private apps. By obtaining one, developers can easily install their non-Apple-approved apps on iOS devices.

>Using this method, many developers have started releasing apps without the use of the App Store.

Yep.
>>
>>54886456
Damn.
Thanks for you help man.
Is there a place where I could find all that info?
>>
people say that samsung phones are always good for the first month or so and then start slowing down after that. Has anyone experienced worsening performance with the S7E after a couple of months, or is touchwizz actually somewhat better this time?
>>
>>54886541
I just googled the infos about sideloading xcode is the keyword.
Seriously these are easy processes since the tools get optimized for a few devices. YouTube tutorials should be good enough to get a idea about most stings.
>>54886637
Old memes. Still pretty clunky to use though. I don't know where the Samsung shilling came from but the s6 had shifty battery life, people complained about GPS and auto rotation being buggy. It got better but is still locked down as he'll.
>>
>>54886637
People say that about most phones. 99% of the time it's the user's fault for loading up a truckload of shitware, 1% is actual hardware faults.
>>
>>54877877
Very. On my G4 I get about 4 hours SoT
>>
>>54877877
If I had a g4 I would have gotten zerolemon or smaller alternatives and never think about battery again.
>>
>>54877433
>Recommending a botnet terminal with nonexistent cm support.
>>
>>54885744
Tempered glass yes. Case, yes.
>>
>>54877403
Can we expect cyanogenmod support for the zuk z2? the zuk z1 has cyanogenmod support, I hope they do it.
>>
>>54886541
I need to add that Cydia doesn't give you free apps like the other anon said. You need to add a repo for that. And some tweaks want you to pay for it but there are repos that upload paid tweaks for free - xsellize was one of them back then.
>>
What's a non shitty browser for android?
>>
>>54888080
(Non-ironically) Samsung S browser or lightning as an open source alternative.
>>
>>54888080
I have no problems with Firefox on my old 1gb ram phone
>>
>>54888080

Firefox is privacy conscious and supports addons.
>>
>>54888178
It's laggy and renders like shit. Not that you'd really notice on your 1GB shitphone.
>>
>>54888080
APUS.
>>
File: xRLJHPc.png (14 KB, 440x200) Image search: [Google]
xRLJHPc.png
14 KB, 440x200
>>54888214
I'm not so stupid to update beyond my phones capability. Scrolling through menus runs smooth, can handle about 5 open tabs without reloading and the browser doesn't crash when I open 50 tabs in ff the old ones just needs to be reloaded. I never had any problem with it. Maybe you fell for samshit?
>>
>>54888274
You're beyond help if you actually believe that. I've owned 1GB phones, that shit stutters when scrolling constantly and even 3 tabs is enough to force reloading.
The problem with firefox is that stuttering is the exact same on 1GB 2012 phones as it is on a 4GB 2016 flagship.
>>
>>54888274
>samshit

Happy Firefox user here. Now on an S4, used a GNex in the past. I wouldn't use Chrome even if pages loaded instantly.
>>
Rumours of a xiomi 4.3inch phone are surfacing. I've been waiting for this time since the z3/5c were always so expensive.
>>
>>54888312
fake
>>
Guys, is Meizu pro 5 a meme? I am about to pull the trigger
>>
>>54879115
It sucks you'll hate it in a month
>>
File: CGycFJQ[1].jpg (179 KB, 781x420) Image search: [Google]
CGycFJQ[1].jpg
179 KB, 781x420
>>54888312
unfortunately proven fake :(

pic related
>>
File: huawei_p9_handson_0009.jpg (35 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
huawei_p9_handson_0009.jpg
35 KB, 1000x563
Thought I found the perfect phone with the Nexus 6P but trying it out in store it was just too big for me.

What are some good alternatives in the 5.2"-5.5" area? The S7 Edge is nice but too expensive. Liking the LG G4 but not sure about bootloop (still a problem apparently). Maybe the Huawei P9?
>>
>>54888454
Redmi note 3 pro?
>>
>>54882840
I'm getting a oneplus x soon but the data thing is not a problem for me I'm on wifi most the time
>>
>>54888454
RN3P.
>>
Is there a module for having a text clock on lock screen for android?
>>
>>54888401
Wat?
>>
>>54878726
Nexus 5x through Amazon maybe?
>>
>>54888842
>>54888848
>>
Probably a really stupid question, I haven't been able to get a definitive answer looking around, but if my phone tells me bootloader unlock allowed: no, should I take it to the provider or manufacturer? Clearest answer I've seen says manufacturer, but if it can be fixed by the provider I'd rather do that.
>>
File: imkQzzp.jpg (41 KB, 480x620) Image search: [Google]
imkQzzp.jpg
41 KB, 480x620
>>54888989
>>
>>54889054
>>54888848
>>
>>54889054
I don't really understand what you mean. When your bl is locked you can unlock it via adb and a code from the manufacturer (usually). If the manufacturer doesn't allow this then you are fucked, unless some geeks from xda manage to crack the bootloader or something.
>>
>>54889097
What are you doing ?
>>
>>54889110
If I pull up the service menu and go through Service Info to Configuration, it says Rooting Status: Bootloader unlock allowed: no. From what I understand, this means that I can unlock the bootloader even if I do get a code, and this is even with OEM Unlocking enabled. Pretty sure I'm just fucked anyway.
>>
>>54888989
I want on my lock screen for it to say

"Seventeen past ten" rather than 10:17
>>
>>54889137
Did you google your phone if bootloader unlock is possible? If you got a phone from a carrier in the US then there is a decent chance that you are fucked afaik.
>>
>>54889054
Is it an EU/international model? If yes, there's probably a solution to unlock it.
If US model, you're probably fucked.
>>
>>54889170
jesus christ why is my fucking name still active. EU mustn't know that I post here
>>
>>54889151
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zehro.android.clockr
>>
>>54889170
>>54889174
It's a Sony Xperia, probably a US model since I'm pretty sure they don't make Canada specific models of anything. So much for wanting to root for the first time.
>>
What can I use an old phone for?
>>
anyone here using a nexus 5x with no gapps installed and cm 13? How is the battery?
>>
>>54889226
Calling, texting, basic shits and personal defense if its tough enough.
>>
File: 1451769759093.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1451769759093.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>54888873
I suppose I should take that one, it would be nice with usb type C so that I wont have to continue investing in micro usb accessories, or worry that I might break the pins every time I plug it in.

Only thing /g/ complains about is the battery life, but the 2700mah battery (@5,2" display, 20nm cpu) should still perform slightly better than my current 2300mah battery (@4,7" display, 28nm cpu) smartphone. And the quick charge does help quite a bit.

I really wish buying a phone was as easy as it was 10 years ago though.
>>
>>54889205
Check XDA, there might be root available. Just no chance of unlocking the bl.
>>
>>54889307
>buy Google official phone
>whole point of it is to run AOSP and get the latest updates first
>Install currymod build by pajeet
>cripple your nice quality camera
>remove all the Google
>muh battery
>>
>>54889355
That's another point I wasn't clear on either, it's possible to root without unlocking the bootloader, because that's just for installing custom roms, right?
>>
>>54889378
So how would I avoid the gapps from the google images then? are there images without the gapps?
>>
>>54889400
Use an app like root uninstaller to disable whatever the fuck you like.
>>
>>54889388
There are custom recoveries that bypass the locked bootloader and allow custom roms to be installed.
>>
Is there a camera cover for Android that will cover my front and back camera?
>>
File: roll-of-tin-foil-252x300.jpg (12 KB, 252x300) Image search: [Google]
roll-of-tin-foil-252x300.jpg
12 KB, 252x300
>>54889741
This should do the trick.
>>
>>54885609
So no advice here?
>>
>>54889761
Look, the front camera makes me really uncomfortable, even after I disabled camera permissions to every app.
>>
>>54889784
why not ditching gapps altogether when you are that paranoid? I mean I did the same and I have no problems so far.
>>
>>54889784
Nobody cares because you come across like a typical obnoxious freetard.
>>
>>54889804
Nobody is watching your fat ugly face while you jerk off to lolis. You're not important, grow up and get over yourself.
>>
NEWS: Huawei doing this year's Nexus
http://gearburn.com/2016/06/huawei-p9-launch-south-africa/
>>
>Xiaomi not releasing the kernel sources for their mi5

reeeee
>>
>>54889872
Nobody gives a shit you freetard loser
>>
>>54889872
Is this confirmed?
>>
>>54889925
Who gives a shit
>>
>>54889925
No, not really but they released the sources for the mi4 when the mi5 was launched afaik.

>>54889912
>wanting a proper and clean android version on your smartphone from devs
>get called a freetard loser

neo /g/ is the worst.
>>
>>54889806
Because it's easier to fulfill my needs if I make a small concession to practicality.

Do you have any hardware advice for me if I wanted to ditch gapps all together?
>>
>>54889941
any phones that get good custom rom support from cyanogenmod for example.

Nexus devices are a safe bet because the community loves them.

soo.

nexus 5, 5x, 6 or 6p
>>
Are there any good rug phones besides catphones?
>>
>>54889855
>huawei is doing this years nexuz
>link to p9 launch in ebolafrica
wat
>>
>>54889988
Samsung active, new one coming soon
Not as rugged but much better specs
>>
>>54889958
Thank's I'll look into them.

Do you (or anyone else) know about any information resources (forums, blogs, wikis) for "freetard" usage of smartphones? As I said in my initial post - I'm completely new to this tech.
>>
Android phones are too expensive and the cheap ones are too shit.

who is to blame for this shit?
>>
>>54890094
I'd start looking for information on xda developers desu. The modcommunity is strong and there are many guys like you there. If not you can make a new thread there and ask them about it. They know more than we do here I think.
>>
>>54889932
>>54889912
The first thing to do after getting a chinkphone is putting a proper rom on it. Just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>54890050
Aren't those sim locked?
>>
>>54889988
Bv6000 would be a chink equivalent.
>>
>>54890102
Start getting into chinkphones. Western brands (and westernized companies like HTC/Huawei) charge stupid prices for the flagships just hold up a premium status.
>>
want something like clockr but for the lock screen. Is there a module or app for this?

>>54889194
>clockr
isn't appearing for the lock screen. don't need it for launcher as already got top right clock.
>>
>>54877827
>Should I get the mi max?

is equivalent to

>Do I want a 6.44" phone?
>>
>>54890144
Looks good. but almost all chinks have the same problem catphones have: gpl violation
I most certainly am not going to pay to be cucked.
>>
File: image.png (324 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
324 KB, 1136x640
Render of Note 7 based on leaked blueprints.

I'm a little nervous about the curved screen, honestly. Can any Edgefags comment on it?

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_6_recreated_based_on_leaked_blueprints-news-18610.php
>>
http://www.kimovil.com/de/vergleichen/huawei-p9-lite,oneplus-x-eu,xiaomi-redmi-3-pro,zte-axon-mini-32gb
What do you think, which should i get and why? Or should i wait for something better?
>>
What is the best sub 5" smartphone out there /g/? Preferably with good battery life.
>>
>>54887166
Any cases you recommend?
>>
>>54890173
trying to use c locker but it doesn't load up straight away. i.e. the default lock screen comes up then the c locker lock screen to abandoning that.

is there any modules for xposed that work like a written word clock???????
>>
File: 1452164093847.jpg (9 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
1452164093847.jpg
9 KB, 258x195
Hate my nexus 6p it's too large for everyday use and falls out of my gym shorts.

iPhone 5s at $150 from boost mobile / Cricket / Straight talk.

Currently on the tmobile prepaid plan. Is the 5s going to be decent enough for talk/text/emails with some map usage? Also boost mobile any good? I hear customer service is shit but I don't use customer service hardly ever.

SE is 400 and that's too much for me to shell out right now.
>>
>>54890194
>gpl violation
>>54889912
>>
>>54890173
>>54890446
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=text%20clock&c=apps

Download a few apps from here, something must have this functionality.
>>
>>54890260
The Huawei P9 looks like the best choice.
>>
>>54890525
>I want to give my wife to chinese and raise their child
Good for you. but I'm not.
>>
>>54890585
Have you any experience with EMUI, does it lag or will it eat the battery alive?
Otherwise the P9 is my preferred choice, too.
Price is OK, it's available in my country and has good specs.

A phone with 5" IPS, SD650, 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM (+SD), decent 13MP cam and >=3500 mAh battery for a decent price <= 300 € is the best imo. Guess i'll go with the P9 Lite, since it's closest to what i prefer...
>>
>>54890461
If I can find one that is. Space gray sold out everywhere. Online ordering a phone is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>54890649
>Have you any experience with EMUI, does it lag or will it eat the battery alive?
Sorry, no, I have no idea.

But the specs looks really good. Redmi 3 has a very good battery life but is not as powerful. OPX is probably deprecated in a few days since OP3 is launching.
Maybe Redmi Note 3 Pro? same chipset for a little less $.
>>
File: 1462184618517.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
1462184618517.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>have 5x
>relatively good in performance
>Clover is good for Chan
>shit in social media
>social media and music is p much all I do

I'm really considering an iPhone because I use Snapchat whatsapp Facebook and messenger A LOT and listen to Spotify.
Other than a few homescreen tweaks (not very important) and 4chan (important), I'm not sure what other Android benefits do I have in my case?

Any suggestions?
>>
I have an older Sony phone (Xperia L), is it worth it updating to Lollipop via CM?
>>
>>54890792
R3P looks very nice, but i have no experience with chink import and idk whether the SD616 will be enough in one year or so. Since i won't play games it should be fine, but really don't know.
I don't think the OPX will be deprecated that quickly.
The RN3P looks almost perfect, only 5.5" and no LTE are the downside.
I want the RN3P with 5.0" and LTE being available in Europe for its price. Fucking hell Xiaomi, y u do dis to mee..
>>
I just got a Huawei P8 Lite and I realized, I can't live without rooting my phone. But, everywhere I look I can't find a root with my build number (I think). Can anyone help me please? Build number is: ALE-L21HUNC150B181
>>
File: 925739145s.jpg (87 KB, 800x773) Image search: [Google]
925739145s.jpg
87 KB, 800x773
Is pic related any good for a poorfag?
>>
>>54877433
Too big. Anything beyond 5.2 inch is too big
>inb4 small hands, my hands are yooge
>>
What`s the best Dialer app?
I just got a Xperia M4 and i fucking hate the Dialer that comes with it.
>>
>>54890934
>The RN3P looks almost perfect, only 5.5" and no LTE are the downside.
I thought it had European bands. did you check with http://willmyphonework.net ?

OPX is fine but the battery looks weak. maybe they will announce OPX2 soon.

>I want the RN3P with 5.0" and LTE being available in Europe for its price
Mi4c is 5" BTW, and it has SD808. but not sure about bands supported.
>>
>>54891023
It's a fucking dialer, do you really make so many calls a day that the layout of the app really matters?
It's probably possible to install the stock Google one but it's not practical and usually breaks on updates.
>>
>>54890226
Great another iPhone/htc knockoff.
>>
>>54891090
It's literally a bigger S7E, which looks fucking nothing like an iPhone or HTC.
>>
>>54890034
Are you so simple you can't CTRL-F and type 'Nexus'? Get your brain checked
>>
>>54891090
>curved screen
>s-pen
>iris-scanner
>knock-off

Tell me another one.
>>
>>54885609
why so autistic?
>>
>>54890141
Oh yeah I think so. You might be stuck with CAT phones then
>>
>>54890821
iPhones are really good if you use Snapchat a lot, the app is gutted on Android. If you message iPhone users a lot, iMessage is great; you don't have to convince them to join something else and it switches to text automatically if you don't have internet access.
If you value filesystem access, easily putting ANYTHING on your phone (iTunes limits formats) then be wary.
>>
>>54891055
>RN3P
I checked the bands, it says some might work, others might not.
But what is the point of buying a cheap chinkphone if you have to pay shit ton of shekels to get the right LTE band.
In that case i prefer paying more for the phone and less for LTE.

OPX2 is what i'm thinking about, too. I fear that if i buy a phone now, 2 months later they'll throw a perfect phone with perfect specs for a reasonable price on the market.

>Mi4c
Looks good to, but it's the same as with all chink phones. LTE might work, or not.
>>
>>54891118
>posting 2 completely incoherent
>gets buttmad when people wonder about this
Take your pills, autist.
>>
>54890995
Screen is fine, my only issue is that you cant watch 720p yt videos, that's the biggest flaw for me. Battery life is fine, performance is a bit shit, feels pretty sluggish even with cm, though i have loads of apps. Overall it's alright. Feels like an outdated nexus
>>
File: iphone-6-plus-review-3-600x186.jpg (19 KB, 600x186) Image search: [Google]
iphone-6-plus-review-3-600x186.jpg
19 KB, 600x186
>>54891116
>>54891129
Its truly a totally unique design
>>
>>54891214
meant for
>>54890995
>>
>>54891187
Why wouldn't it work? what carrier are you on? they usually lack the American bands because they use different frequncies.
>>
Picture of maki holding phone pls
>>
File: Untitled.png (198 KB, 720x2560) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
198 KB, 720x2560
Again, I want to root my Huawei P8 Lite, but I can't find anything for my model.
>>
>>54891255
>what carrier are you on
Telekom: Band3-1800MHz, Band7-2600MHz

I can change the carrir, but the problem is that on willmyphonework most reputable carriers will either not work, or might work.
>>
>>54891207
>posting 2 completely incoherent
??? sentence doesn't make sense

when you read news articles do you just read the titles?
>>
>>54891187
>others might not

of you're one of the 'technology is voodoo' people

it will either have compatible bands or it won't, there's no gray area
>>
>>54891229
Yeah I'm sure apple invented aluminium rims and ports on the bottom.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458073825810.jpg (11 KB, 1103x260) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458073825810.jpg
11 KB, 1103x260
>>54891174
I'm even sure what filesystem access is desu.
My q now though is how to transition from a 5x
>>54890821 to an iPhone.

Should I buy a used 6s when the new one gets announced and sell my 5x or go for a contract iPhone? I live in Canada.
>>
>>54879770
>same phone for 6 years

wew lad
>>
>>54891288
Thats why i said iPhone /htc knockoff bc htc did the antenna lines first.
>>
>>54890821
Can 4chan even be displayed on iPhone correctly? Meaning, is there a decent app out there that can watch webms and content on Chan easy like Clover does?

>>54879770
I sold my nexus 5 because it was refurbished and had a shit battery. It's still the best I've ever owned. Keep on going anon.
>>
>>54891294
I've always preferred keeping one sim card and buying phones sim free, but that's up to you
The 6S will last a good 2 years at least, and will get plenty of updates
Filesystem access = dragging and dropping files to and from phone when connected to PC
>>
>>54891324
With jailbreak yes
>>
>>54891276
http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi4c

Says that it has both?
>>
>>54891285
The proble is that the LTE net is not completely build in germany and that different providers use different bands in different regions, therefore it "might work".

In germany technology and internet are regarded as novelty by the retards in charge.
>>
>>54890934
Vernee Thor is a cheap 5" with good performance.
>>
>>54891330
Oh ok thanks.
I usually just use Google Drive for files and I don't ever store music, spotify is right for me.
>>
>>54890316
z3 compact I think. or the z5 compact although it comes with the sd housefire meme.

If you want ios you could also get the se
>>
>>54877403
Is there any reason not to get the Zenfone 3 Ultra unless you're under 6'6"?
>>
>>54890461
Still need an answer
>>
Are Priv owners generally happy with it? I'm so sick of software keyboards sucking huge dick. Is the Priv keyboard even worth it?
>>
>>54892000
Nobody actually bought one.
>>
>>54890461
>>54891801
>4"
>640 x 1136 px
>1 GB RAM
>1560 mAh
Jesus Christ, how can you even seriously consider this piece of shit? I wouldn't take it for free, let alone pay $150.
>>
>>54892141
The RAM is sucky but the resolution is fine for the size and the battery lasts longer than it would on an Android. It ranks similarly to the G4 in tests
>>
>>54892270
the problem is that the performance of the hardware is so tightly controlled by the code base that subsequent updates ALWAYS nerf older generation Apple devices
>>
>>54892352
oh definitely. You can avoid updates if you want to, though, and you're unlikely to get a well updated Android for $150
>>
>>54892388
>Avoid updates
>iOS
>>
Fell for the RedMeme. Signal keeps dropping. Other than that it's a nice phone.
>>
>>54892388
>and you're unlikely to get a well updated Android for $150

nexus 5x for $229 will get you at least 2 more years of updates straight from google PLUS a huge community of AOSP and CM support
>>
>>54892452
are your bands supported?
>>
>>54892452
>can't fulfil its base function as a phone
>nice phone
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>54892505
>he uses his phone for talking
>talking TO PEOPLE
>>
>>54892411
It doesn't install automatically like windows 10; you have to tell it to update. Have you ever used an iPhone or are you just repeating what people have said online?
>>
>>54892460
Yeah Nexuses are great, I didn't deny that just said for $150
>>54892505
I guess it's fine if you never go outside :^)
>>
>>54890821
what do you mean when you say that 5x is shit in social media?
im seriously thinking of getting a 5x (my 5s was stolen, im now on 3gs) and i use facebook, twitter and instagram a lot
>>
>>54893073
snapchat sucks on all android devices, that's the crux of the problem, it isn't 5x specific
>>
>>54893129
snap isnt really my thing
>>
Using a Nexus 5X but after waiting since December for them to fix this fucking lag, I quit.

Considering a OP3, but what else is out there, unlocked, under $400, with band 12 support for T-Mobile?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.