[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not just let it die and move over to superior D already?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: slide_53.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
slide_53.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
Why not just let it die and move over to superior D already?
>>
Because it's not that simple here in real life.
>>
>>54862032
I'll give you my superior D :^)
>>
>>54862032
most companies still aren't using C++ versions written since 1990. Yet they keep pushing out new ones to literally zero audience.

Last time it was c++ threads. Literally the worst thread model in the history of language design. C++ already had decent threads from Boost and other libraries.

No one is gonna use this C++17 shit, its just more masturbatory versioning.
>>
>>54862032
Isn't D a JVM based language?
>>
>>54862134
Nigger FUD
>>
>>54862078
this, who the fuck thought D would be a good name for a programming language

what is the logo of this language??
3=D
3==D
3===D
3====D
3=====D
3=======D
>>
>>54862167
>who the fuck thought D would be a good name for a programming language
Someone who doesn't have a twelve year old's mentality.
>>
People are dismissing D because it has a optional garbage collector which is automatically on when creating objects on heap.

Of course you can avoid it by using D as a better C, which is not a bad thing overall. You have malloc and friends, and D has scope guards as language feature to make your code a lot more reliable. D has so many advantages but nobody bats an eye because it's not the latest fad.

And then there are those code artisans with their macbooks using shit like Rust because it empovers them with bullshit nobody asked for. They would never use D because it looks like C, sane C++, mix of Java/C#, whatever that doesn't look like objective-c or that ugly mess of syntax.

It hurts me more than it should, but there's nothing I can do about it. There's a saying that if something's popular, it doesn't mean it's the best/good.
>>
>>54862396
You make a hell of a sales pitch. I kind of want to learn D now.
>>
>>54862396
Can D do openMP? Real question need that for work.
>>
>>54862396

I have to add that they are making the GC completely optional so it's only the last barrier for whiny assholes.
>>
Becasue of small thing call legacy.
>>
>>54862452

It interfaces with everything C, and to some extent C++ too.
>>
> Last time it was c++ threads. Literally the worst thread model in the history of language design.
Can you be more specific on this? Any references at least? Or keywords?

Last time I wanted to use threads in C++ I immediately started researching pthreads only to find out that Windows support is not quite active. The need fizzled in the end but I'd probably opt for Qt now if I wanted to support Windows.
>>
>>54862032
>networking library

yes plz
>>
>c++
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html
>>
>>54862396
>tfw wanted to learn D ten years ago
>didn't bother because no one fucking used it

like it's not hard to pick up, I just didn't bother
kind of wish there was more of a community around the language, since it's not too bad at all

>>54862088
afaik, there's a couple embedded devs that use up-to-date C++

>>54862961
he makes a damn lot of good points
but I kind of wish a third of the damn thing couldn't be summed up as "wahh, C++ doesn't have a GC"
>>
>>54862032
Too much invested. Both financial and ego.
Anons would have to retrain and they don't like learning new stuff or most of them wouldn't still be on their original OS, Windows.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.