[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>download new game of thrones episodes >get a whole fuckton
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Henrik_Lundqvist_Leaves_Game1.jpg (118 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Henrik_Lundqvist_Leaves_Game1.jpg
118 KB, 640x400
>download new game of thrones episodes
>get a whole fuckton of viruses from them because Im an idiot and dont use private trackers
>whatever.jpg
>start removing viruses
>notice that default search in firefox is changed from google to yahoo

Im not really complaining about the viruses, because it was my own fault, but why would the default search be changed to yahoo? Are they behind this? I cant see virus makers just changing that shit for no reason

pic unrelated
>>
>>54801777
How do you get a virus from a .mp4 or whatever lol
>>
>>54801817
dogsex_HOT.mp4.txt.exe.bat
>>
>>54801777
To implement their own config files for your web browsing. Chances are they didn't give a fuck what search engine is used and just randomly put Yahoo.
>>
>>54801817
naw, it was a legit file, like the quality was amazing, was the whole episode, had subtitles, etc, etc, I got it from installing a codec supposedly for it, that was set to automatically download/install (Im imagining its just a fake window though) without really paying attention, watched the show, then shortly after, like within 10 minutes, my computer started going nuts

Whats even funnier is I didnt even end up using wmp, which was the default program for this file (even though I have basically everything set to open in MPC), and just opened it in MPC and watched it fine, but I'd already downloaded and installed the "codec" for it through WMP (because I'm an idiot I guess)
>>
I can't believe people like this exist. They're like my gran, they just look at a PC and it gets virtual herpes.
>>
Just use rarbg
>>
>>54801777
What would private trackers have to do with downloading GOT and getting a virus? You are just an autistic idiot.
>>
>rags
>>
>>54802396
Idk it looked pretty legit not like "click here to win $1000000" looking at all. I haven't really had to deal with viruses in so long and don't run any virus protection

>>54802469
Barrier to entry, better feedback systems, you can get banned from them, etc, a virus riddled file probably won't last as long
>>
>>54801777
I've never used private trackers and I've never gotten a virus from torrenting shit.
I don't understand how you fucking manage this.
>>
File: 1451852866410.gif (3 MB, 419x276) Image search: [Google]
1451852866410.gif
3 MB, 419x276
>>54802469
>He's not on BTN
>>
>>54802238
did it ask you if you want to download and install it or how did it happen?
>>
>>54802238
so you're blaming private trackers for no reason
YES let's parrot /g/!!!!
>>
>>54802830
no, he said because he DIDNT use private trackers you dyslexic fuck
>>54801777
>Im an idiot and dont use private trackers
>>
>>54802866
I meant public trackers
>>
>>54802796
I don't know either, this is the first time in like 10 years. I'm usually the biguest advocate of the "use common sense" meme, but it can happen to anyone I guess. Luckily this particular bundle of shit isn't terribly malicious or hard to get rid of
>>
pubic trackers
>>
>>54802934
Did the codec install by itself or did you click accept?
>>
>>54801777
Yahoo is not behind it. Maybe the virus changed the search engine, firefox detected it and defaulted back to yahoo.
And are you sure it's really yahoo? My brother had something like this happen to him. At first glance the search engine looked legit but it actually gave links to fraud sites.
>>
>>54802469
>/g/'s level of reading comprehension

why am I not surprised
>>
>>54802994
imo, I think the guy who made the virus needed to change the search engine to yahoo for conveniece over whatever he wanted to do
>>
>>54802967
I definitely clicked accept. I just wanted to watch GoT and wasn't really paying attention
>>
>>54803129
What kind of virus was it? What did anti-virus detect?
>>
>>54803150
Just a whole fuckton of trojans basically, probably a good 100 or so
>>
>>54803170
Better to just wipe your computer clean. There could still be shit in there that logs/harvests your credentials. The fact you'll never truely know is shifty.

Next time use tinywall to block anything from connecting to the internet, except those you whitelist
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.