[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT'S LITERALLY OVER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: pepe-the-frog-meme.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme.png
48 KB, 500x282
https://www.quora.com/How-big-an-issue-is-the-nausea-problem-for-Virtual-Reality-products/answer/Steve-Baker-9?share=1

VR is FINISHED!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>54800511
Nausea was a huge problem with the early FPS'es as well. If you wanted to play wolfenstein 3d or marathon for more than a few minutes a preparatory dose of dramamine was in order. They eventually solved the problem well enough to allow commercial success.
>>
VR will just have to be limited to stationary simulations where you're actually moving your body around.

Just another way that nerd dream-tech gets nerfed by reality. And people still seriously think we'll ever simulate a human brain or create strong AI...
>>
>>54800511
>normies can't get a fucking grip on themselves in a virtual environment

What else is new? Most of them can't use a mouse and keyboard at the same time.

Just a matter of growing accustomed.
>>
sounds like a good normie repellent
>>
Still not seeing the big deal with vr in its current state.

It is going to be a long while before it's not just a meme device.

What we need is something like the devices out of batman beyond. Real vr. Not just mediocre meme goggles. I'd equate current vr to the wiis motion controls. Nothing But a nice gimmick you get bored of after 5 minutes and want to go back to just sitting with a normal controller.

I say this as someone who has played around with "vr" a fair bit
>>
>>54800511
>All these fucking comments from bedroom coder geniuses who think they've solved the problems the military couldn't with millions of dollars

top lel.
>>
>>54800571
Was it? caused by what?
>>
>>54800571
IIRC mirror's edge had issues with nausea as well.
>>
File: 1448873919441.png (3 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
1448873919441.png
3 KB, 344x341
>>54800511
What the hell is he talking about. I have not nausea at all while using DK2, even though I have motion sickness and get nauseous every time I try to use computer/read book in a car.
>IMHO - these devices should be banned
He wants to ban a device because it is not advanced enough? How is technology supposed to advance if you can't make prototypes.
>The amount of force that those muscles have to produce in order to achieve that focus is a direct measure of the distance to the object. There are no designs for displays that can produce light that’s focussed at a wide range of distances - so without some very new technology - we can’t fool the brain.
Lenses in HMDs make image appear at distance 1,3m which makes it comfortable for muscles. And you don't need to (nor can) change this distance to make depth effect. Depth effect is caused by different images per eye and it works. Have he ever tried DK2+/CV?
>Those forces are entirely absent in a VR rig…and your brain notices that.
Neither I nor anyone I know ever get bothered with it.
Also he seems to not understand how pricing works, why does he assume $80.000 military device is better than $500 consumer device? Why didn't he provided any technical details about the HMDs he used?
>US military had less latency, higher resolution displays, and more accurate head tracking than any of the current round of civilian VR goggles
Is he refering to DK1, DK2, CV or Vive? These devices differ in technology a lot.
He can't be expert, it has to be troll.
>>
>>54800571
You are an old, sad bullshitter. I played Marathon up to 9 hours straight and the only problem I had was getting fat.

Of course I was a kid, and grew up doing this, unlike you, who were probably quite grown up back then and an old sack of bones and bullshit now.

About time you got a life grandpa. Time is running out!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.