[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I change my thermal paste in laptop if I cant take off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 20160523_200512.jpg (1 MB, 3200x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160523_200512.jpg
1 MB, 3200x1920
How can I change my thermal paste in laptop if I cant take off radiator and there is old paste too?
Picrel
>>
File: 1463995750049.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1463995750049.png
65 KB, 625x626
>>54706398
>>
>>54706398
Use the screwdriver to release the CPU from the socket, take it off together with CPU and then use carton or plastic (preferably carton) to split the CPU die and the radiator. Then sand the radiator from the old paste and use carton again to slowly clean off the remains of the old thermal paste on the CPU die. Do not use anything sharp or metal - scratches will fuck up your CPU.
>>
>>54707040
I cant use screwdriver because the screw from radiator is too small for me and I fucked this screw with bigger screwdriver ;-;
>>
>>54707040
I think to put paste by syringe on CPU without scratching old paste. Is it possible? :v
>>
>>54707203
So, as far as I understand - you fucked up the original screw, and now you cannot get rid of it?
Actually, why you even started doing something with the hardware?
Also, is this laptop?
>>
>>54706398
Underage hands detected
>>
>>54707556
Yes its laptop. I fucked the screw because im stupid and i havent noticed that my screwdriver is a little too big for this screw ;_;
>>
>>54707684
So you're literally screwed. A syringe may be a little bit helpful, but firstly you should try to remove old paste with something made of plastic. Do not try anything made of metal, or you may end with not a laptop, but unwieldy paperweight.
I don't think, that pliers will be helpful, but you may try that as well. If you want to stick to that device for a little bit longer, consider cutting the secrew's head and mounting a new one.
>>
>>54707684
And a little bit of advice: don't use so much emoji here, or on any other chan at all.
Just out of honest curiosity - you didn't work much physically in your life, did you?
>>
>>54707820
So if I will remove old past syringe can help me with putting new past on?
>>
File: syringe-plastic-tip.jpg (20 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
syringe-plastic-tip.jpg
20 KB, 600x600
>>54707901
Exactly. But be aware, that syringe with metal needle may fuck up your CPU. If you can, try to get one like you can see on picrel, or be really careful.
>>
>>54706398
You've completely fucked it. Try to reassemble and hope it still works. Don't put it under any kind of heavy load, ever again. Replace ASAP.
>>
>>54707971
when OP said that it's not working? I conclude that everything is fine, but the hardware was overheating and that's why he wants to change the thermal grease. I'm just wondering, what kind of dumb prick fucked up applying the previous portion of paste.
>>
>>54707961
Thanks for help man
>>
>>54708082
Its 3 years old laptop and I havent changed past yet so its a bit old. Now its overheating (80/85 degrees when playing league of legends making game unplayable) that's why i tried to change past
>>
>>54708091
No problem. Anytime you want any, look for people with single quotemarks in the name, we will try to help you anytime.
There are only a few of us here, but a few is more that none.
>>
>>54708166
From my experience, after buying a laptop, you just should change the greace. Even a spoon of butter would be better than shit the manufacturer leaves between the unit and the radiator.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.