[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do first with your fresh install of Windows? (Or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
There's something magical about getting out a fresh install of an operating system. Be it any variety of Windows, OS X, or Linux, that feeling isn't something I can ever replicate just by rearranging icons, changing backgrounds, reorganizing folders.

When you've got a fresh install /g/, what is the first thing you do?

Install Gentoo? Change your background? Download Firefox/Chrome/Opera? Unpin the default programs from your taskbar?

Feel free to go into detail if you'd like.
>>
>>54645993
Judging by that shit resolution of the screen shot, I'd modify the power settings on my laptop.

Then, I'd make my folders, import my files and install superior programs.
>>
File: 1600x900.png (534 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1600x900.png
534 KB, 1600x900
Better?
>>
>>54645993
Install drivers, obviously you're missing gpu hardware acceleration on the destop composition.
>>
File: driversarefine.png (602 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
driversarefine.png
602 KB, 1600x900
>>54646204
Already did that, just didn't switch away from Aero Basic because lazy.
>>
>>54646213
Well, next thing on 7 is install the sp2, aka the convenience rollup update with all the fixes and patches from sp1 launch 5 years ago up to today
Then go to ninite.com
Then install 10 because 7 sucks.
>>
>>54646232
Why on earth would you install updates for Windows 7 just to replace it with Windows 10?
>>
>>54645993
go to ninite, remove the shitty bloatware, then install all I want.
>>
>>54646244
What would you consider bloat ware on a fresh install of Windows?
>>
>>54646240
kek
>>
>>54646253
depends. On win10 I remove automatic updates - if it's a notebook I'd rather remove bloatware than find all those fucking drivers.
>>
File: 1446910987409.gif (2 MB, 460x306) Image search: [Google]
1446910987409.gif
2 MB, 460x306
1. Relocate user folders to documents partition.
2. Move IE cache to FAT32 temp partition if HDD (don't care if SSD)
3. Install 7TT to ungroup windows in the same application
4. Install MPC, 7zip, CCleaner, standard stuff etc
5. Install ClassicShell if on 8+
>>
>>54646294
Why do you use MPC over VLC?
>>
>>54646294
>ClassicShell
Dumb anime poster
>>
>>54646309
Because VLC is trash on anything except linux, where it's only sort of trash.
>>
>>54645993
>linux
nothing

>windows
install drivers
install chrome
>>
Contemplate using it to serve something and then never doing it.
>>
If Windows - Start Uninstalling Bloat
If Linux - Start Customizing
If OSX - Start Sucking a Dude's Dick
>>
>>54646319
How exactly is VLC trash?
>>
>>54646331
/thread
>>
>>54646338
Not him, but VLC is not thrash, but software like MPC or mpv has muh placebo filters which I can't watch movies without.
>>
>>54646338
Garbled video, bleeding colors, slow as fuck tracking even on i7-2600k, slow as hell on lower end hardware.
>>
>>54646331
>If OSX - Start Sucking a Dude's Dick

Is it ok if I install Linux then start sucking a dude off? Just wanna make sure I know the rules.
>>
>>54646378
Depends on the country you live, but given that you're posting on 4chan there's a high chance you have the freedom to suck a dude's dick regardless of your OS choice or if you even have a computer.
>>
File: 1279127631259.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1279127631259.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>54646378
They're not really rules
More like 'Guidelines'
>>
Windows - Remove windows 10 nag, install updates, kms crack, Microsoft safety essentials, chocolatey, enable file extensions
OSX - disable SEP, install homebrew, install git, git clone my dotfiles repo
Arch Linux - Restore my backup. There's no need to reinstall a rolling release distribution
>>
>>54646378
Only if you install Elementary.
>>
Windows:
>Partition and mount additional drives
>Install networking drivers
>Configure network
>Activate
>Update everything, taking care to avoid GWX
>Install all my software from a flash drive
>Configure all my software
>Configure Windows (go through Control Panel, set up libraries, etc.)
>CCleaner and reboot
>>
>>54645993
Open facebook.
>>
File: 1435302602213.png (359 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1435302602213.png
359 KB, 792x540
>>54646443
>taking care to avoid GWX

>there are people who unironically install non-enterprise versions of windows that are subject to the free upgrade offer
>>
>>54646463
>>there are people who unironically install non-enterprise versions of windows that are subject to the free upgrade offer
I have a valid Windows 7 Professional license, senpai. May as well use it.
>>
>>54646432
It's funny cause I was actually considering doing that anyway.

Being able to retain my dick-sucking privileges is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>54646232
>not having that integrated in install iso
>shiggy diggy
but yeah, aegis-voat, drivers, since windows then antivirus and then programs you use, everything else you might use is on the go when you need it
>>
>>54646070
>virtualbox
>laptop
>>
>>54645993
Fix the task bar customization
>>
>>54645993
>fresh install
>wait a billion years checking for updates

fuck
>>
>>54645993

Windows: Before attaching it to the internet, WSUS offline update. Antivirus, Then ninite (7zip, chrome, steam, malware bytes, keePass 2, Python, and putty), then ConEmu, Cygwin.
>>
>>54646338
Was suffering though subtitle translation loading and bad performance on my low-end laptop until I installed MPC. I was seriously stunned by how well it ran when compared to the struggling VLC.

Never gone back. MPC has got to be light and godly on Windows, and essentially does the same things dash some exotic things.

I'd honestly recommend switching away from VLC, giving MPC a go.
>>
>>54648065
if your pc cant handle vlc, why are you running Windows? lmao
>>
>>54648141
I was obligated to follow a charter basically telling me not to change the OS, uninstall any of that, and such.

A number of years on and no one seemed to care about the machines, so I installed Debian GNU / Linux on it.
>>
>>54645993

> windows 7
> drivers
> turn features on or off (disable everything)
> daz loader
> control panel settings
> plug in ethernet cable (until now the pc should be offline)
> update
>while updating install programs (AIMP, Firefox, Paint.NET, VLC, Office 2010)
>>
>>54645993

Services.
Disable Error Reporting, Remote Desktop, Remote Registry, Netbios, etc.
Install antivirus/firewall.
Restart to activate changes.
Update with an eye on which are telemetry and Get Windows 10 updates.
Browser setup
7zip
MPC
Steam
>Flash
Image editor
>>
Drivers, Ninite and Junk from usb is enough too get my win7 comfy
>>
File: DagashiKashi-Episode5-Omake-6.gif (907 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
DagashiKashi-Episode5-Omake-6.gif
907 KB, 500x625
>>54646314
What else then?
>>
>>54645993
wipe it off the drive and install GNU/Linux
>>
>>54645993
Activate
Install Drivers
Install Updates
Remove Windows Search, Desktop Widgets, all the extra bullshit involved with a new install
Download Firefox
Remove IE
Disable Boot Flash Screen
Remove Page File because I have 32 GB of RAM and SSD
>>
git build-essential and cowsay
>>
>>54645993

Turn User Account Control off.
Windows Loader
Install drivers+updates
Start importing my loli collection
Change Power Options
Install Photoshop/Deluge/Nightly etc.
Turn off IE/WMP/Gadgets etc
Shitpost across various boards once I'm all set up
>>
Graphic drivers
A decent web browser
????
Start shitposting across all the internet
>>
>>54646338

VLC stands for Video LAN Client. It was optimized for streaming online video. It was not meant to be a standalone player. Using it as such is like using a spoon to cut steak.
>>
windows: install gentoo
OSX: install gentoo
gentoo: install ubuntu
>>
>>54645993
Turn uac all the way up
>>
File: the_more_you_know.jpg (27 KB, 344x226) Image search: [Google]
the_more_you_know.jpg
27 KB, 344x226
I just unlock all the chitty Windows software like WMP, IE etc. and completely delete them, and replace it all with good FOSS for media

I also don't and will never use anything past Windows 7
>>
File: 1393912255934[1].gif (563 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1393912255934[1].gif
563 KB, 720x405
>>54650092
And 4chan is an animu website. We're not supposed to be discussing technology here.
>>
>>54650092
VLC is both a server and a client, the name doesn't stand for anything anymore. The entire application is referred to as VLC media player.
>>
Go through System Preferences and tweak everything and turn on disk encryption
Install Firefox and NoScript and import my bookmarks and whitelists
Install Sizeup and LittleSnitch
Setup new home dir folder in path and symlink my scripts from iCloud
Import Solarized theme to terminal
Import my ssh private key
Clear out Dock and Launchpad databases
Update OS
Reboot
>>
I fall upon that small percentage of people who is not 50% happy with any system out there, so I often do switch and fresh install. If I keep a system for more than 4-5 months (notice how I don't have a profession that depends on it) I could consider it ideal.

So normally what I do is just install system, drivers and programs, changing how it looks depends on how bad it looks by default, though wallpaper comes often first and that's maybe a day after installation. Then organizing folders depends on whether I keep my contents on my secondary hard drive or not but it's just a drive with normal folders. Music, Pictures, Games, Documents, Torrents (no web downloads folder, I keep those on whatever the default is on any system and then clean up), Videos, Misc (where I keep really random files or scripts or stupid shit that has no other place).

And sometimes I spend almost a day until I decide which specific application to use for a specific thing. Even nowadays I have problems with browsers, after 5 years of using Chrome and Chropera on and off, then Safari on Hackintosh, I went with Firefox on Windows just recently. After many years of Foobar and gmusicbrowser, went iTunes, then MusicBee. After many years of MPC-HC I went with mpv.

Until the day where Windows dies and support for my computer is -perfect- on a linux distro I might not feel comfort. Or until somehow, someway Apple takes over the gaming market and releases a really expensive mac which is capable of running OSX 100% flawlessly. Which seems unlikely.
>>
>>54645993
>>54650151

The moment you format that disk
The moment you're on a fresh install

Always better, you can look at it on a deeper level of meaning,

attached to nothing and open to the present moment

Sounds so hipster but its true

We need some imaging constant format system for the cloud seriously, this virtualization can corrupt true hardware format but if you could just automate the whole shebang as a git script from independently added components it would be infinitely better
>>
>install drivers
> activate
> shutdown
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.