[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is upgrading a PC's (self-built) processor just a matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 20 year old crystal pepsi.jpg (55 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
20 year old crystal pepsi.jpg
55 KB, 500x447
Is upgrading a PC's (self-built) processor just a matter of popping a new one with the same chipset in?
>>
Depends on whether your operating system plays nicely, but on the hardware side you're correct (assuming you meant "socket" instead of chipset).
>>
is has to be compatible with the motherboard .
new processors sometimes need a new bios that you can download from the mobos site
>>
Mostly, yes.
>>
>>54602376
there's a thread called "Stupid Questions Thread" you fucking /v/edditor
>>
>>54602392
>>54602395
>>54602403
so should I just get a new motherboard to be safe?
>>
>>54602434
Not in light of what I said given the OS, because that would only exacerbate the problem.
>>
>>54602459
my OS is just windows 10 and I am just gonna get an intel one, same brand I have
>>
>>54602483
So then just get the processor. Also it's not simply about matching brands, it's about getting the correct socket type (e.g. LGA 1150).
>>
>>54602518
How many socket types are there? would my processor have it printed on it?
>>
>>54602528
Go find a program online called Speccy. Download, install and run it. Take a screencap of the information it displays and post it here.

Also tell us which processor (full model number) you were thinking of getting.
>>
>>54602528
Intel is pretty jewish with their socket refreshes, as they pretty much force you to get a new mobo every time they release a new "generation". AMD is a lot better about this, where usually you can go 3 years before they move on to a new socket type. Intel CPUs are much better though.
>>
File: speccy.png (6 KB, 344x149) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
6 KB, 344x149
>>54602555
>>
>>54603516
the best processor you can get on that motherboard is a i7-2700k i think
>>
>>54603516
Your current motherboard will only support socket LGA 1155 CPUs. That could get you up to something like the i5-3570K. If you want a non-LGA1155 CPU, you need a new motherboard too.
>>
>>54603559
>>54603579
oh yeah, ivy bridge is also 1155 isnt it, so a 3770k is also an option
>>
>>54603516
I7 2600k or 2700k should be good upgrade. These processors are great
>>
>>54603709
Also 3770K.
>>
>>54602434

Odds are the newer processor you want wont fit in the old motherboard.

A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear.
>>
>>54603813
>>54603709
so is i7 3770k better or worse than, say, i5 4500 or 5500?
>>
>>54603855
Better because has HT and unlocked multiplier
>>
>>54603855
Each progressive generation is "better" than the last but that doesn't address the differences between i3/i5/i7, nor the question of value for those incremental improvements.

What's best for you depends on what you use your computer for and what kind of performance you need. There are people who comfortably use the i5-2500K to this day because it's that damn good and more than enough for their needs.
>>
>>54603855
Make sure to get a new cooler (preferably a hyper 212 evo if you are on a budget) if you are using the stock intel one (seen as your cpu is 71 degrees currently). and do yourself a favor and replace the thermal paste while you are at it.
>>
>>54603917
forgot to add, thats if you are going to upgrade to a i7 3770k or something similar.
>>
As long as the socket is the same then you are pretty much golden.

However, there is no guarantee with OEM motherboards. eg: I went to swap out a 1150 socket CPU with a dell workstation with 1150 socket and it didn't fit. I'm assuming dell had a weird socket or the tray CPUs are not the same as the box CPUs.
>>
use fucking google
>>
Guys, if you're recommending this retard (that had this same thread die on /v/, and didn't even know /g/ has an /sqt/ thread) to overclock, you can be sure that he will toast his new chip
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.