[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say goodbye to router modding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: logo.png (13 KB, 386x98) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
13 KB, 386x98
A part of me died while reading this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/linksys-wrt-routers-wont-block-open-source-firmware-despite-fcc-rules/

So basically we will be limited to Linksys and a few other brands if we want a router not full of blatant 0days/backdoors.......
should we stock up on routers now?
>>
File: gorilla_scratching_head1.jpg (173 KB, 479x350) Image search: [Google]
gorilla_scratching_head1.jpg
173 KB, 479x350
>Blatant
>0day

If it's blatant then it's not an 0day, it's a known exploit.
>>
>>54597307
Yes you are right. But the point is in the near future if you want Openwrt/Librewrt on your router you probably fucked
>>
>>54597348
I'll make my own router
>>
>>54597364
I might also build one if shit hits the fan.
What are your plans anon? Im thinking about something like an rpi... The orange pi seems cool
>>
>>54597412
Not sure, I'll figure it out when I get there

So what's gonna happen with like Buffalo routers which come with dd-wrt preinstalled and such?
>>
>>54597442
Im not American so i dont know how the FCC works but im guessing they only have to obey if the product is sold in irl shops or something like that.
Im more concerned about the SoC companies killing
the update feature on everything made in the future
>>
bamp
>>
>>54597240
Sorry you still had some hope left to feel being killed.
My local thrift store had two linksys wrt54 routers for $5 each, and I might go buy the second one today. I will sell them on eBay and make a small fortune. ;3
>>
File: tips freedom.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
tips freedom.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>54597240
>Our responsibility to the open source community
Nice to see Cisco keeping it's promises to the FSF.
>>
>>54597753
Im rocking a WRT54GL myself but when i found it after 5 years i was very dissapointed when i realized i cannot install the newest OpenWRT but 5 dollar is still fucking amazing

>>54597824
For the price of a modern linksys you assume its default that you can change the firmware.
>>
>>54597869
>>54597753
You can mess around with Xinu.

http://www.xinu.cs.purdue.edu/
http://www.xinu.cs.purdue.edu/#code

Xinu is a Unix inspired OS but it's not exactly Unix-like. It's designed primarily for embedded work but it can also be used in a classroom for teaching. There's a textbook for each version
>>
>>54597991
Looks interesting but im not sure how maintainable/reliable it is.
Do you have any tips using it?
>>
>>54597869
>For the price of a modern linksys you assume its default that you can change the firmware.
You could assume the same about a whole shitload of modern hardware, yet it's not true.

I also fail to see the problem actually.
FCC rules that devices sold in US cannot operate outside their specificated range.

All it takes is the manufacturer to not include such option with the firmware the device is distributed with.
And what the end-user does is not manufacturer's business only FCC's business.

Same way that car manufacturers aren't responsible for the owner of the vehicle installing non-homologated parts in it
>>
>>54598045
I don't have any hardware to use it myself, I wasn't able to make the VM version work the last time I tried either. It's just something you can take a look at if you're interested. I figure it might be easier with the WRT54G since there's a pretty extensive community around the firmware projects.
>>
This means if you care about this shit you'll have to build your own custom box and hook it up to a powerful wireless antenna. It's kind of a bummer but I was thinking about doing that down the road anyway. PFSense or some sort of Linux on a really tiny PC with a switch and a 802.11ac dumb access point.
>>
>>54598093
Im not a lawyer but if you think about it: Why would tp-link restrict firmware upload if simply taking out the problematic feature would make FCC happy? Because sadly it doesnt work this way...

quote:
>Linksys’s effort stands in contrast with TP-Link, which said it would entirely prevent loading of open source firmware on its routers to satisfy the new Federal Communications Commission requirements.
>>
>>54597240
Meh big deal, we'll just have to start 'jailbreaking' routers
>>
>>54598182
How can one get multiple ethernet ports on a pc? are there any hubs/adapters or what?
retarted question i know but i cant find any info regarding this issue now

>>54598241
Good luck with one time writable ROMs
>>
>>54598192
>Why would tp-link restrict firmware upload if simply taking out the problematic feature would make FCC happy? Because sadly it doesnt work this way...
Well It won't make them happy but there's nothing they can do about it unless FCC rules out tampering with routers completely.
Linksys washed their hands.
>>
File: 5676111.jpg (29 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
5676111.jpg
29 KB, 480x480
Does this apply only to the devices sold in the US?
If so, why not just import one from europe/asia?
>>
>>54597240
why not use an old PC with a decent NIC?
>>
We need another vigilanti
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/there-internet-things-vigilante-out-there
>>
>>54598329
thats a good one. we will see how its plays out and i really hope i dont have to avoid commercial routers in the future.
>>54598340
the EU may follow judging by how big of a cocksucking faggots they are. And probably its not worth it for manufacturers to produce a restricted and a non restritcted version.
>that pic
i bought a Galaxy tab 2 7.0 data cable so im not fucked at all.
>>54598360
Old pc's are very power hungry and loud
>>
>>54598433
>Old pc's are very power hungry and loud
or a PC with a low power i3?
i followed some guide for setting ubuntu up as a router and it just werks.
>>
>>54598459
Thats pretty cool.
But ill use something like an rpi tho.
How many etherent ports have you got?
>>
>>54598504
it just has one because it's a cheap ebay NIC, i plug it into a gigabit switch that i also got from ebay. i would set up teaming or something with a dual socket NIC but my ISP don't give me anything fast.
>>
>FCC
This will only affect Americans, then...?
>>
>>54598340
Because no manufacturer will bother with region locked devices
>>
>>54598651
But america is a huge part of the market so it might aswell affect us: non americans
>>
>>54598433
Bullshit, the EU is constantly shitting on Americuck's monopoly, anti-privacy and anti-consumer behaviours
>>
>>54598683
i really hope you are right
>>
>>54598696
Most of the EU keeps an eye out for shady behavior and keeps the ISPs in check.
And then there's the UK (and Germany to some extent) that just outright want to destroy it.
>>
>>54598302
>multiple ethernet ports
just buy some intel PCI NICs off ebay.
and theres no point in using ubuntu as a router when pfsense is one of the best, unless its not compatible with your hardware.

its pretty much the endgame for consumer routing and it's not even hard to do...
>>
Blocking third-party firmware is the easiest way to comply with the FCC rules, which aim to limit interference with other devices by preventing user modifications that cause radios to operate outside their licensed RF (radio frequency) parameters.

>Easiest
Assuming we can keep up demand for routers compatible with OpenWRT, this will be a non-issue.
>>
File: poop.jpg (471 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
471 KB, 1824x1368
>>54597869
I currently have a wrt54gs with an undecided future, and I just got back from the thrift store with a befw11s4 for $10. It came with a disc & ``documentation''. I am currently reading up on it.
>>
thought i lived through the age of widespread internet hardening, but the future looks more-and-more hackable and insecure. its gonna be fun.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.