[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just built a new z170 PC with an I5-6600K Skylake processor.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Windows 10.png (358 KB, 1060x829) Image search: [Google]
Windows 10.png
358 KB, 1060x829
I just built a new z170 PC with an I5-6600K Skylake processor.

I had every intention of dual-booting Linux/Windows 7. I was planning on doing everything in Linux except gaming, and only boot into windows when I wanted to play a game.

First, I discover that Intel removed support for USB based Windows 7 installations on Skylake. Microsoft removed support for the EHCI host controller and kept only the xHCI host controller spec. While the USB 3.0 spec is backward compatible with most USB 2.0 and 1.0 functions, installing windows 7 via USB on a Skylake PC is ridiculously hard.

Now I'm being told that Microsoft isn't going to let me do that unless I uprgrade to windows 10. I'll be able to use Windows 7 for about another year, but after that I'll HAVE to upgrade to Windows 10 whether I like it or not.

Why is Microsoft doing this crap?
>>
File: 2342.jpg (51 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
2342.jpg
51 KB, 624x351
>>54590849
>buying a PC
Just get a Mac instead, there is nothing that will go wrong if you buy a Macbook Pro.
>>
how else are they going to keep you safe by taking a screenshot of your desktop and keylogging you goyim
>>
>>54590849
Just use a DVD you nig-nog
>>
>>54590882
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-S340-Tower-CA-S340W-W1-White/dp/B00NGMIBXC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463455934&sr=1-3&keywords=s340

My case doesn't have a slot for one.
>>
>>54590895
>my case
Get an external optical drive? Fuck are you retarded
>>
>>54590895
Usb dvd-rw.
But, again, what's the problem? You couldn't boot windows 7 on usb or something?
I have a bootable windows 7 image right now and a h170 mobo.
>>
>>54590920
I've already installed Windows 7 via USB. I never said that it wasn't possible.

>buy an optical drive to use only once.
>>
>>54590927
>But, again, what's the problem?

Sorry if I made it seem like I want help installing Windows 7. I don't. I was just wondering why Microsoft is going to force everyone off of Windows 7.

I like Windows 7. I don't want to use Windows 10.
Why is Microsoft doing this?
>>
>>54590960
Windows 7 isn't any more private that Windows 10. Everything you don't like about windows 10 is already in Windows 7 via Windows update.

If you're going to use any Windows OS at all (you shouldn't), you might as well upgrade to 10 because Skylake and Windows 10 were designed cooperatively and synergize well.
>>
>>54590960
Windows 7 is 6 years old, manufacturers can't spend time and resources in making drivers for a deprecated OS.
Seriously, only tinfoil hat memecuks confuse telemetry with spying and make a fuzz over windows 10.
>>
>>54591013
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=confuse+telemetry+with+spying
>Microsoft
>Microsoft
>Microsoft

Could you make it any more obvious that you're a shill?
>>
>>54591066
>Microsoft
U wut m8?
First results are from a site called infoworld.
>>
File: fuck me.gif (835 KB, 320x181) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.gif
835 KB, 320x181
>>54591083
wow, you're really dumb.
>>
>>54590849
Use drive droid

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softwarebakery.drivedroid&hl=en

>Copy ISO to phone
>Mount the ISO as an optical media image
>Install windows 7 over USB on skylake
>>
>>54590849
>disabling USB installation

What? Really? What the fuck?

I happen to love Windows, and Win10, and typically use whatever the most current release is. But "upgrading" sucks, I always do a clean installation from ISO via USB. I can imagine their being huge backlash against this. There's just so many reasons to want to be able to install via USB.
>>
>>54591251
Oh, I read that wrong. Nevermind. Only applies to 7.
>>
>>54591251
>>54591265

I have a retail copy of Windows 7 on DVD. Figuring out how to put that on a USB so that I could install windows 10 on my new Skylake PC took me two weeks of reading forums.

It was extremely annoying.
>>
>>54591386
Why wouldn't you just rip as ISO and use Rufus?
>>
>>54591402
I did. That didn't work.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.