[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am thinking about proposing a RFC. What does /g/ think of my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: poiuyt.png (55 KB, 470x236) Image search: [Google]
poiuyt.png
55 KB, 470x236
I am thinking about proposing a RFC. What does /g/ think of my idea

Basically allow non authenticated hosts on 802.11 networks to send and receive up to 2kb of data per request.

Why:
Stolen devices such as laptops and consumer devices rarely have GPS technology inside them. As a result tracking down a stolen laptop requires the device to be turned on without being wiped and attached to a network in addition to having your own script on it. Highly unlikely if a thief is worth his money.

What this would mean is a device could communicate its location to a trusted source without knowing any passkeys to wireless networks. A user could then issue a STOLEN command which sends a 2048bit rsa key to the device to commence encrypting the contents. (or just wipe it) whilst continuing to track it. Then the data could be given to the police and the device tracked down.

Additionally such a system would not need the complexity of a full fledged operating system and could be handled via BIOS. This would ensure that even if your device was wiped the beacons would continue to be sent.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54576196
>I am thinking about proposing a RFC. What does /g/ think of my idea
Good luck without having submitted a draft and created a working group first.

>Basically allow non authenticated hosts on 802.11 networks to send and receive up to 2kb of data per request.
802.11 has no concept of "requests", it's just ethernet frames. Learn how to OSI model.
>>
>>54576196
1. You don't know shit about networks, I don't know why you believe you're an engineer, you suck at this
2. I would backup your shitty BIOS, open it up and crack it, in the worst case scenario.

Truth is, this is faillible in too many ways.
>>
>>54576257
>2. I would backup your shitty BIOS, open it up and crack it, in the worst case scenario.
Just remove the BIOS clock, reset the BIOS and flash it with some own custom stuff.
>>
>>54576267
Oops, meant battery.
>>
>>54576267
Sure but it's always interesting to take a look and search for exploits.
>>
You really have no clue what you're talking about..

Also sounds laughably exploitable
>>
>>54576196
>weakening wireless security to let Stacy find her stolen iPhone
No thanks.
>>
>I am thinking about proposing a RFC

Proposing an* RFC.
>>
>>54576196
That's the most retarded thing I've read on /g/ in a decade, and TPP is a thing.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.