[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw someone near me claims Linux has lower TCO than Windows Server
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160514_161256.jpg (102 KB, 782x861) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_161256.jpg
102 KB, 782x861
>mfw someone near me claims Linux has lower TCO than Windows Server
>>
you gonna actually make an argument or are you just going to be a brainless /g/tard and >imply implications
>>
>>54549647
>TCO
tail call optimization?
>>
>>54549753
Usually it's Total Cost of Ownership... don't know how that fits in though.
>>
> using IIS on a LAN

good one
>>
>>54549647
Get rekt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux#Criticism_by_Microsoft
>>
>>54550511

Except that's literally what every single enterprise out there does?

Only on the www Linux web/email servers are a thing, because it's basically made of hipster sysadmin wannabes.

In corporations though, Windows Server, IIS, Exchange, Active Directory, etc., are pretty much industry standard. Not only that, but Linux isn't even a contestant. Unix is, and I like it, Linux isn't and I hate because it's far from being solid.

It's not even about TCO you know. Okay, Linux is cheaper, I'll give you that. It's about being straight out crap. The day Linux affords half the reliability Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, NetWare and Windows Server do, then we talk.
>>
>>54549647
It turns you into a pouting Chinese qt?
>>
>>54550905
Linux is good enough for the London stock exchange, the top 10 supercomputers in the world and also NASA. I don't know what you're doing wrong.
>>
>>54550944
That's great, but there isn't many supercomputers or stock exchanges in the world.
>>
>>54550905
>Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, NetWare and Windows Server
Ironically, Sun, HP, IBM, Novell and even fucking Microsoft ALL use (and contribute to) Linux.
>>
>>54551021
So Linux is either good enough or not. Given that these places do well with Linux it's obvious that you're lying.
>>
>>54551059
I don't really understand, Linux isn't good enough for certain businesses because it host SharePoint, yes.
>>
>>54549647

>he pays per user+per core licensing
>laughing maleysian girls.jaypeg
>>
>>54550913
>qt
You need new glasses.
>>
>>54549647
who is this sem-nevermind
>>
>>54549647
>implying corporations with lots of money will go with a free OS to cut costs, when the money they spend on IT/software is a drop in the ocean

>implying they don't want to get OS licenses which come with actual support from Microsoft, instead of having to employ an army of neckbeards to google for a solution everytime their linex network shits itself

Now that Windows will incorporate an Ubuntu subsystem, they're not even going to consider Linux ever.

In fact, what we might see is even the world of web servers switching to Windows, in the long term. Just think about how much insecure shit is on linux for which there is no company that offers support. Stuff breaks everyday.
>>
>>54550905
wow fantastic factual argument
>>
>>54550905
to imagine that when people hear me say that I work in IT, they think of people like you make me sick

please off yourself, for the sake of my social rank in society
>>
>>54551273
babysitting your homeserver isn't work anon.
>>
>>54550905
>Only on the www Linux web/email servers are a thing

Yeah and what's the other thing? The, um, puddle? No that's not it it is it? Fog? Mist? Drizzle?

CLOUD!

Yeah and the cloud. To the tune of several hundred thousands hosts and millions of instances.

I guess everyone else is doing it wrong though. Not like you eh? You got your MCSE, you know how to sysadmin.
>>
>>54551299
wrong, and I don't even work with IT in an office context with shitty enterprise software and hardware

linux clusters is where it's at
>>
>>54551333
Isn't Azure eating the cloud sector right now with their triple digit growth?
>>
>>54551387
>Azure

kek

The only thing Azure are eating is money. "Triple digit growth" still puts them behind Google Compute Engine, and a factor of 100 behind AWS.

AWS *own* the cloud. By a huge margin.

Besides which, here's a thing: Azure has a whole bunch of Linux instances deployed on it. Surprise!
>>
>>54551244
>>>54549647 (OP)
>>implying corporations with lots of money will go with a free OS to cut costs, when the money they spend on IT/software is a drop in the ocean
>>implying they don't want to get OS licenses which come with actual support from Microsoft, instead of having to employ an army of neckbeards to google for a solution everytime their linex network shits itself

Microsoft support is a joke. As a Microsoft former personal AND bussiness client. I prefer an army of OS X hipsters.
>>
>>54551418
>AWS *own* the cloud. By a huge margin.
only because it's priced at a loss to attract new customers. Amazon loses money on AWS.

in a short while the services will become economically competitive and market share will equalize.
>>
>>54551387
Azure is running Gentoo, right? Or was it Trisquel

>linex cluuuusterrs

>>54551423
Microsoft support exists. Where is Linux support for, say, Ubuntu? Nobody uses OS X on servers, except a few gayboys who like to have the label on the bottom of their site "hosted on a mac".
>>
>>54551444
>only because

Keep it up.

>Amazon loses money on AWS.

Hahaha, nope.

Amazon happen to be a cloud company who sell some book occasionally:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/28/amazon-web-services-grabs-2-5-billion-in-revenue-in-q1-2016-up-63-over-last-year/

>AWS fetched $2.56 billion in revenue for the quarter.
>Operating income for the business unit came in at $604 million
>>
>>54551461
>Where is Linux support for, say, Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/support

>24x7 enterprise support

Get rekt
>>
>>54551461
>Muh Azure

Azure is tiny compared to AWS, and completely insignificant compared to all of the Linux host based cloud platforms out there now. On top of that, a significant portion of the deployments on Azure are running Linux.
>>
>>54551418
>Besides which, here's a thing: Azure has a whole bunch of Linux instances deployed on it. Surprise!

Because they even understand where the future is...

For fucks sake they've made linux a near first class citizen in dev. They showcase workflows where you can deploy your ASP net app to azure or to docker or to azure via docker (where azure is the docker host and you're just sending a container to it)
>>
>>54551480
How's the wifi working on 16.04? Who needs wifi, only hipsters, right?
>>
>>54551461
>Where is Linux support for, say, Ubuntu?

http://www.ubuntu.com/management/ubuntu-advantage
>>
>>54551496
AWS runs whatever the clients choose to run.
>>
>>54550905
Who gives a flying fuck what your office drones use internally. Externally facing stuff is *nix.
>>
>>54551504
>How's the wifi working on 16.04?
I have no issues with my Wifi, why are you asking?

But we were talking about servers and enterprise anon, not your shitty Thinkpad from the previous century.
>>
>>54551418
Google's Compute Engine has less of a market share than IBM Cloud, it's no where near as popular as Azure.

What the actual fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>54551520
>AWS runs whatever the clients choose to run.

Yeah. Which is, well, Linux. By such a massive margin it's not even funny.

And every single one of those AWS servers that run those VM's are running Linux. And all of those other services that AWS offer? Linux.

What does Google run on? I'll give you a head start: it isn't Windows.
>>
>>54551524
Because there was a thread here with someone complaining that wifi doesn't work on 16.04. I guess it must be because driver support is Linux' strongest point.
>>
>Meanwhile in real life SharePoint generates more revenue than entirety of Red hat and SUSE combined.
>>
>>54551538
>Google's Compute Engine has less of a market share than IBM Cloud

Which one? IBM own a bunch of 'em.

>it's no where near as popular as Azure.

Wrong again.

>What the actual fuck are you talking about.

I think I was talking about how laughably small Microsoft's market share is in cloud.
>>
>>54551563
I have a sound card that doesn't work at all in Windows 10.

God damn Windows driver support is so fucking shit. Microsoft are just terrible.
>>
>>54551523
I said I like Unix, you illiterate mouthbreather.

Since when is shit like systemd Unix-like? Linux is pure trash!
>>
>>54551563
>there was someone acting like a retard on 4chan therefore linux sucks
>>
>>54551602
>soundcard
>2016
kek, are you a music producer? Or just an audiophile
>>
File: 1459551404965.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459551404965.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>54551583
Theses are numbers from Synergy Research Group Anon.
>>
>>54551603
How many legitimate UNIX boxes are you responsible for? I am assuming you are a 12 year old talking out of your ass.
>>
>>54549647
Using Linux might be more expensive if you're company factors in the cost of out of court settlements regarding Microsoft patent trolling.
>>
File: CIS_Q415.jpg (56 KB, 603x371) Image search: [Google]
CIS_Q415.jpg
56 KB, 603x371
>>54551656
>>54551583
>>
>>54551652
>people are not allowed to be hobby musicians and record the music they play

Also
>"X is not working on Linux, it's Linux' fault"
>"Y is not working on Windows, it's the user's fault!"
Nice logic there...
>>
>>54551652
>soundcard
>in his computer
>audiophile
Not unless he loves noise.
>>
>>54550944
Okay, super computers are very specialized machines and generally cost is not a factor.
If you weren't a Mongoloid you could see this thread is about cost of ownership and effectiveness for standard enterprise
>>
>>54551671
A big chunk of Amazon's market share is Apple's own cloud. Rumours have it that Apple is going to build their own cloud silos soon and leave AWS. I wonder how much of their market share will drop when Applel will get off AWS. Imagine how many ipHones are using iCloud to store their shit.
>>
>>54551671
>YoY Growth

Yeah. That's not market share. Try again once you know what those complicated numbers actually mean.
>>
>>54551138
> per core
That doesn't happen.
>>
>>54551710
Apple already have their own storage cloud. It runs on Linux.
>>
>>54550905
>In corporations though, Windows Server, IIS, Exchange, Active Directory, etc., are pretty much industry standard

You just listed all the crap corporate bloatware that american corporations roll out as internal systems and never gets used.

Outside of Office, lync & outlook MS is just shit, peddled to cucks in corporate purchase departments who probably get a cut to bring in these pieces of shit. Every sharepoint, IIS, whatever project is prompty forgotten and people just keep using email and shit.
>>
>>54549647
Jesus, OP. You don't use Linux because "it's cheaper" -- you use it because it's better.
>>
>>54551732
Source? I've recently read an article saying they're on AWS and they're going to move. Maybe they have something really small that they manage in-house right now and the biggest part is on AWS?
>>
>>54551754
>they're on AWS
Not him, but yeah, that literally means "it runs on linux"
>>
>>54551754
>Maybe they have something really small that they manage in-house right now and the biggest part is on AWS?

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/the-apple-data-center-faq/

These buildings are not warehouses to hold iPhones. Also the previous company I worked for supplied some network equipment to Apple and we had some insight into what they're upto.
>>
>>54551752
wrong, you use it because it respects your computing freedoms.
>>
>>54551799
gommie detected
>>
>>54551726
sure does
>>
>>54551793
>>54551768
Actually Apple keeps its cloud storage in multiple places, including Azure, AWS and Google.

http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/300080062/cloud-makes-for-strange-bedfellows-apple-signs-on-with-google-cuts-spending-with-aws.htm

But it seems they plan on going it alone completely in the future, to cut costs and, probably, to avoid giving their profit to their competition.
>>
>>54551726
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB

>As of July 2011, Oracle's list price for non-copyleft Berkeley DB licenses varies between 900 and 13,800 USD per processor

it definitely happens
>>
>>54551939
per processor is literally the norm for commercial business software.

But that Anon said per /core/.
>>
>>54551836
how is freedumbs commie?
>>
>>54550905
>source: my anus
>>
>>54551746
OP is a 12 year old that doesn't work the industry and is just parroting random shit to troll. 'Enterprise' requirements are going to be different from the perspective of a SaaS company doing devops voodoo vs OP's idea of making sure office drones can reach the sharepoint running Genuine™ Windows® Server.
>>
File: mid_DSC07236_rot.jpg (258 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
mid_DSC07236_rot.jpg
258 KB, 675x900
>>54551983

Have you ever read the GNU manifesto?
>>
>>54552127
OP, does it hurt you to know that you aren't even community college tier enough to work IT and install laptop docks for those new guys in marketing?
>>
File: HAAAA!!!.jpg (9 KB, 297x236) Image search: [Google]
HAAAA!!!.jpg
9 KB, 297x236
>>54552141

So you haven't read it?
>>
>>54552127
I have desu. but what does it have to do with freedoms?
>>
>>54552330

If you have to ask that, then you haven't read it.
>>
>>54550905
>The day Linux affords half the reliability Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, NetWare and Windows Server do, then we talk.

then why Azure are using Linux now, fucktard?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.