[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember, in order to end the GPL virus, support better licenses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1463060511611.jpg (62 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1463060511611.jpg
62 KB, 500x333
Remember, in order to end the GPL virus, support better licenses like BSD, MIT, MPL, and other superior permissive licenses. GPL gives you the illusion of freedom, you are forced to release the source code and the GPL license makes it difficult for corporate use. True freedom would be the BSD license that lets you do whatever you want with your software. Say no to freetard garbage.
>>
>GPL
>true freedom means you have restrictions on what you can do

>BSD, MIT, MPT
>true freedom means everyone has the freedom to restrict what others can do

There's no such thing as true freedom
>>
>>54510198
GPL restricts you while permissive licenses let's you do whatever you want with your code, true freedom
>>
>>54510170
GPL Protects the user's freedoms
>>
>>54510700
It also restricts developers freedom
>>
>>54510691
>permissive licenses let's you do whatever you want with your code
What if what I want is to release my code without huge corporations taking it and using it in a way that doesn't allow others to modify it?
>>
>>54510708
It requires developers to protect the user's freedoms
>>
File: GPL.jpg (56 KB, 1123x794) Image search: [Google]
GPL.jpg
56 KB, 1123x794
Enough of the paid trolls and Microsoft fuckers, I am going to redpill you about the GPL before the paid trolls.

Some cucks (among many we have) are trying to promote BSD, MIT, Apache and other licenses because they are hired by corporations that can make privative software thanks to those licenses by putting some closed source on top and fuck everyone else.

For example, Darwin is an operative system in which Apple collaborates with the "open source" community. Because it is a BSD derivative, Apple uses that operative system and put it some closed source bits and call it OS X.

Sure, you can use Darwin, but is crippleware, is of much lesser quality. And Apple is not even full fascist here, they at least have some degree of cooperation. Microsoft on the other hand in the 90's spread memos about how to fuck up Linux and the free as in freedom community. Is called "embrace, extend, extinguish". See for yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

If you were in charge of Microsoft, and you had no ethics, what would you do knowing that you could harm the free software community just by reusing "open source" software in your favor, put some bells and whistles, and extinguishing the original product?

I beg you consider the GPL and LGPL over everything else. One can't possibly know what is being used under the hood of many privative software, and you never know when something "open sourced" sometime ago is now part of closed source software.

Even the LGPL, because you can have a fully functional application in LGPL which someone can cut off the interface, put a privative interface to it and deprecate any other interface by changing the API (systemd?).

>inb4 "Put a shitty license to your code so we can make more profits than you using your software. Maybe someday, if we are on the mood, you will work for us".
>Signed: big corps
Yeah, fuck you.
>>
>>54510691
>let's you[1] do whatever with you're code.

[1] Apple
>>
>>54510921
>operative system
Stopped reading here
>>
File: LogicBTFO.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
LogicBTFO.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>54510921

I'm glad someone in 4chan has there head screwed in.
>>
This whole copyleft/the cost is your contribution idea sure has rocketed the GNU kid on the block past the stagnant old BSDead in the water please rape my ass licensed model.
>>
>>54511111 this is a test of the quints detection system.
>>
I personally use MIT
>>54510198
WTFPL solves this problem.
>>
>>54511313
GPL has seen very little success, Linux still hasn't made 2% usage desktop.
>>
>>54511346
>what is Android
>>
if you dont use wtfpl you are a cuck. end of story
>>
File: owlturd.png (157 KB, 800x830) Image search: [Google]
owlturd.png
157 KB, 800x830
>>>54511346 GPL is more successful than BSD license.
>>>54511346 GPL is not very successful.

Both true statements.
>>54511346 are you just being contrary?
I honestly can't tell where you're trying to go with that.
>>
>Release program in GPL
>Corporation can't use it to power their unscrupulous closed source software

>Release program in BSD
>Corporation can use your effort to power their unscrupulous closed source software and make money off your code

BSD only works if, and only if, people have been paid for their work.
>>
>>54511283
>>54511775

european faux public domain shills gtfo
>>
>>54510170
>makes it difficult for corporate use
exactly the reason why everything should be GPL'd
>>
>yet another propertarian thread
You do realize that there is different types of freedoms right?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.