[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much college experience would I need to get a decent job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Dogeometry.gif (2 MB, 370x319) Image search: [Google]
Dogeometry.gif
2 MB, 370x319
How much college experience would I need to get a decent job in IT?

Bachelor's? Minor? Major? Would a community college be good enough?
>>
>>54502310
one day
>>
>>54502310
Maybe try a search engine before posting monotonous bullshit.

This seems like a place to start:
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Career-in-Information-Technology
>>
>>54502310
well if this is your level of initiative you wont even get a job emptying the trash in an IT department
>>
>>54502310
Go to community college and get a degree in Information Technology or Computer Programming. I recommend IT because all you really got to do is make sure everything is set up properly. Someone else has the boring task of maintaining it. You'd probably make 40-60k a year with just a degree from your CC. Enjoy to live on your own real comfortable. If you want to have a family then I suggest getting a bachelors in CS to make more.
>>
My path

CC in network admin
Get job @ Geek squad
Get A+, Net+
Finish CC
Learn Python
Get job as help desk for IP security
Get promoted to build servers
Get MCSA, CCENT
Get job as hospital jr sys admin
And all before my 25th bday
>>
>>54503066
CC?
>>
>>54503092
Concealed Carry. He carries a Glock 19 IWB in the network admin.
>>
>>54503092
community college probably
>>
>>54503092
Corpus callosum
>>
>>54503130
gotta always be safe I can respect that. Don't need no jihads blowing up our servers
>>
>>54503092
Credit Card
>>
>>54503092
Cuckold College
>>
>>54503066
mine
>switch majors three times after initial major
>shit at math so couldn't do CS
>switch to IT
>hate most of IT, but it's all easy so whatever
>keep programming stupid shit on side
>graduate with BS in IT
>can't find a job due to shitty local job market and no experience
>prof offers to give me research assistant position since I'm alright at it
>decide too late to try CIS master's, miss easy job with prof
>do the CIS thing anyway since prof fast tracked me through it
>do okay in first grad course and DS&A course
>still no job, can't do summer jobs since I'm not enrolled
>at least my prof wants to continue research work, so maybe I'll get published sometime soon
>am relatively happy, but the fact that I failed out of CS still haunts me a bit every day

I just want a non windows/networking related job working with linux if possible around here. I really don't want to have to move half way across the country just to get a shit 40k/yr job. I'd much rather have a shit 40k/yr job here if possible.
>>
just go to a community college. get a degree in some sort of IT field. i got a degree in communication awhile taking courses to prep for the RHCSA / RHCE and MCSA. its what i did. work as a junior tech for a medium sized IT solutions firm that provides IT solutions to small and medium sized businesses.

beauty about IT is that its all about the certifications and you can train for them without schooling. i went because i wanted to be a neet for a few years by claiming i'm a "student." that student discount is nice. you go for a BA if you want to join management. you go for certs and community for actually wanting to do IT.
>>
>>54502310
I wouldn't hire you with anything less than 3 phds. Fucking slacker.

GTFO with your associates degrees
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.