[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to backup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: backup-image.jpg (363 KB, 1732x1155) Image search: [Google]
backup-image.jpg
363 KB, 1732x1155
OK, say I have a Linux Laptop and a Windows Desktop and a 2TB external hard drive.

What would be the best way to back this shit up?

I'm always kind of anxious that if I have a hardware failure and a 1 week old backup or so, that it'd take me more time to recreate all the steps I did during this week, than to fully start over and set up my OS from scratch

I mean most of my important documents are in my emails anyway, so they'd not be affected by a hardware failure since I could just redownload them
>>
>>54356099
halp pls I have legit OCD issues over this

like is there a way to only back up program settings and documents and something like this without backing up all the 500,000 useless junk files Windows comes with?
>>
>>54356194
take two fucking seconds to google
we are not your personal tech support
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54356099
>>54356194
Stop asking us hard questions, we're just here to shitpost.
>>
Windows 10 has a new feature called file history. You select foldes that you want to keep a history of and set a backup frequency then windows does the rest.
>>
learn how to dd
>>
>>54357342
Easiest way though might be to use a cloud service that has desktop integration.
>>
>>54356099
dd if=/dev/sdaX of=~/Backup.img
>>
>>54356099
>I mean most of my important documents are in my emails anyway
>>
>>54357433
With rsync you don't have to copy all of your shit again every time
>>
rsync non code, git code, don't bother with stuff you can re-download
>>
>>54356099
>asking how to backup winblows
>known to be hard and buggy to backup
>having to re-configure anti-botnet scripts
Just use one of the shitty "apps" for restoring session. There is literally no salvation for your windblows.

As for GNU/Linux, learn to make a script to backup your configs and /home partition like every normal person and cron that shit up.

Remember, full, incremental and differential have their times.
>>
I am backing up my data on an external HDD.
It took a day to back all the data up and another day to encrypt it.
>>
>>54356099
>Windows Backup
Veeam Endpoint Backup (free)
Backs up your entire machine OR single files/volumes
>Linux
Simple copy script triggered by cron
OR
dd for entire machine
>>
crashplan
>>
>>54356099

Hiren's boot restored - backup section -norton ghost

Then kill yourself violently
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.