[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Hackintosh/ thread. >Do you have it? >Why did you decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13
File: hackintosh-logo-big.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
/Hackintosh/ thread.

>Do you have it?
>Why did you decide to use it?
>Was it worth it?

Also, how many problems does it have with Skylake?
>>
>>54308647
>Do you have it?
No
I didn't
>Was it worth it?
N/A
>>
>>54308647
>Do you have it?
Used to.
Bored one day.
>Was it worth it?
Sort of
>>
No.
Can't use it because of how fucked I am trying to do it on a C710.
N/A
>>
File: 1458695543993.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458695543993.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>do you have it?
Yes.
>why did you decide to use it?
For professional video editing purposes. I always wanted to use final cut pro and some plugins that I was only able to found "for free" for OS X.
>was it worth it?
Totally.
>>
>>54308934
sauce on doujin
>>
File: Promotion.jpg (17 KB, 320x375) Image search: [Google]
Promotion.jpg
17 KB, 320x375
>>54309133
https://hitomi.la/galleries/603436.html
>>
>>54309160
>https://hitomi.la/galleries/603436.html

Thanks I tried cropping and image searching but got nothing.
>>
>>54308647
>hackintosh

Next level cuckery
>>
>>54309226
Go away tripfag.
>>
>Do you have it?
Yes
I was tired of Windows 10 on my desktop, already had Arch on my laptop and I wanted to try something newer than the install of Leopard I have on my dual G4.
>Was it worth it?
Oh boy was it. I've been enjoying every single second of using this machine. Everything worked out of the box with only one additional kext and some bootflags. It's snappy, it's fast and the UI doesn't look as bad as Windows (I do prefer the Mountain Lion/Mavericks style though), also, I can run all my *NIX shit natively on my quad-core Xeon, useful since my laptop is an old c2d.
>>
>>54308647
>>Do you have it?
Yes.
>>Why did you decide to use it?
I was bicurious.
>>Was it worth it?
No. I have AIDS now.
>>
File: snake.jpg (29 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
snake.jpg
29 KB, 400x300
where the fuck does one even download an iso for doing this?
What fucking version does one even need?
All the fucking guides I find have either no links to downloads, or are paywalled as fuck

i should probably check the gentoowiki i guess, probably a guide there that actually has useful links
>>
>>54308647
>Do you have it?
had
curiosity
>Was it worth it?
No, it killed my cat.
>>
>>54309998
aaaand nothing, fuck

at least linux has lots of good guides.
>>
>>54310077
Download this. It's an image with Chameleon/Clover preinstalled and a vanilla installer.
https://kat.cr/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-bootable-usb-for-intel-pcs-t11376557.html
Follow the instructions. Once installed, install Chameleon/Clover to your hard drive. Done.
>>
>>54309998
Just google "niresh" (make sure adblock is off, the guy is a cockbag about it)

or this>>54310144
>>
>>54310156
>niresh
That is the cancer of the hackintosh community. Fuck that, it's the same shit as H4XX0R editions of windows or "optimized" Android ROMs made by poo-in-loos.
>>
File: 1461549055338.jpg (55 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1461549055338.jpg
55 KB, 453x604
>>54308647
/blog/ thread

lets talk about max guise xDDDD
>>
>running an OS that can be wiped out in an update
No thanks
>>
>>54310190
Then Tonymacx86 is AIDS?
>>
>>54310243
Pretty much. The hackintosh community is full of douchebags. But niresh is the worst of them all.
>>
>>54310229
The only thing that can get wiped out is your bootloader, and that can be recovered by simply booting from a flash drive.
>>
>>54308647
I'm thinking of building a Hackintosh.

I was thinking of buying an Intel NUC for that purpose. Is it a good idea, anyone experience with that? I was thinking of buying the newest one, but it comes with DDR4 memory — I suspect OS X has issues with that, is that true?
>>
would one of you gents be kind enough to point me in the right direction, even if you installed it and hated it.
I dont trust any of these guides im finding by searching, nor do i trust any of them not to lead me along and stop me at a paywall or adwall half way through the process.
I'm just throwing this on a spare laptop for familiarity with the os's sake.
>>
>>54310243
Hey, I heard about that forum a few days ago and I have been planning on following their guide. I mean, there are easy tutorials on YT but it seems that on Skylake builds you have to install shitton of stuff for it to work. Saw some post on reddit and got scared.
>>
File: 1430779801303.jpg (146 KB, 2003x1002) Image search: [Google]
1430779801303.jpg
146 KB, 2003x1002
>>54310144
>>54310156
>>54310335
oh, shit, thread hadn't updated, thanks anons
>>
>>54310190
it just werks :^)

And allows me to not waste my precious time finding a way to even boot into the installation.

btw
>Do you have it?
Yes
To try the "legendary" Logic and to try the "OS made for musicians" meme
>Was it worth it?
No, Logic's workflow sucks compared to Ableton and if you are not retarded you can also set up a perfectly fine music workstation on windows that shits, especially hardware wise, on the "Macs for muh music pros" meme. Now my OSX partition lies on my hdd just in case I want to fuck around with it, but that never happens
>>
Yes, I have it. I decided to use it because I didn't want windows and on linux my GPU was crapping itself. And because muh adobe suite.

Worth it? Well...

As a system overall, I feel pretty comfortable with it. I've been using it for quite some time. I even got for cheap one of those magic trackpad thingies and I must say I'm fairly impressed by how it works in comparison to the shit the average laptop has. The UI just looks good by default and I really appreciate that. The file manager is better than windows, font rendering is too and there's neat features here and there. Neat little things. The desktop feels pretty polished and consistent and I haven't really had that many problems with software. Well, let's say some issues.

For instance like I said I use the adobe suite (CS6). Sure it works well but clearly in terms of performance it's just not right there on par with Windows.

I also feel more compelled to use Safari which, is sort of a problem because 1. It's OSX exclusive, 2. doesn't have embedded support for webm's and 3. shits itself with streams. Chrome is just slower than Safari even when comparing the Windows version.

And then there's this thing where everyone and his mother keeps telling me that OSX is buttery smooth. It's the slowest of all systems, I mean it's still fine but if I were to compare opening programs and doing whatever the fuck I wanted, Windows and specially Xubuntu still come out on top. This is on an SSD. Animations are ok and all but there's this minor stutter from time to time and I haven't managed to fix it no matter what I did. Instead of working fast 100% of the time it'd be closer to 80%, which to be fair, my computer shouldn't work with it, but still should be powerful enough to drive it given that the GPU is equivalent to a D700.

I've been thinking of going back to windows, and I'm not alright with that system. Not alright with how it looks, not alright with the font rendering or the scaling. It's faster though I guess.
>>
>>54310345
Go to Insanelymac.
They are more scary, but at least they aren't fucking thiefs.
Oh, and skylake is a meme anyways.
>>
I completely ballsed up my 10.11 update and managed to fuck up my Chimera bootloader whilst installing Clover.

I could not boot, so I deleted Clover bootloader, however now I cannot enter my OSX drive. Can anyone tell me how to create a unibeast drive from a Windows PC? I am in a bind here lads.
>>
>>54308934

What's it like knowing that you're a poser and the faggy clique you want so desperately to be a part of hates you with every fiber of their being?
>>
File: nido.org_1453851327137_n.jpg (7 KB, 341x315) Image search: [Google]
nido.org_1453851327137_n.jpg
7 KB, 341x315
>>54310421
>>
>>54310345
Their shit is pretty vanilla and works fairly better out of the box with many setups. It's just that apparently InsanelyMac people dislike them greatly and they have this anti-piracy policy so if you were to "pirate" Mavericks there'd be no fucking way to actually use the software on TonyMac to install it. Lots of .dmg but the only thing that works is having previously owned that system.

But yeah if you want to install el capitan don't even think much about it, go with unibeast.
>>
File: not curious.jpg (68 KB, 670x720) Image search: [Google]
not curious.jpg
68 KB, 670x720
Used it for a year or so. Missed portage. Now I'm back on gentoo.
>>
>>54310417
Create an USB stick from this image
>>54310144
and boot your OS X partition from it. (use Chameleon, press 1 as soon as you see the boot1: done thing)
Then install Chameleon.
>>
>>54310485
Why didn't you just install Gentoo in a chroot within OS X? You even have X11 support for your tiling WMs.
>>
>>54310477
I downloaded El Capitan from a VM. Is that considered piracy or what?

I'll check unibeast out. T b h those names are not telling me much because I'm not familiar with all of this.

Btw don't know if I should install it on my 5400RPM partition with 400GB left or on my SSD with W10, but I only have around 70GB left and kinda don't want to fuck with it...

I really want it to just work out of the box, at least 99% of it, I can't be bothered so much fixing everything again.
>>
>>54310379
I do mixing for money for the idiots that can't into it themselves, I use ardour and bitwig on the coordinating node on my renderfarm. pretty much any OS can do competent sound production DESU, just depends on your leanings. csound and pd is equally fun to fizzbuzz with no matter what you install it on senfam. also doing live stuff with an illegal meme machine may not be in your best interests
>>
>>54310524
You know what I would murder for

Virtualization software with VGA passthrough support in OSX
>>
>>54310524
That's hardly gonna be the same as running it normally.
>>
>>54310588
Then just use fink. You have the entire BSD ports tree at you disposal.
>>
>>54310577
im using freebsd for my renderfarm, the memey-est of OSes too. people that argue about which OS is better for what instead of which softwares are incompetent children
>>
>Do you have it?
Yup.
Because I'm sick and fucking tired of Microsoft.
>Was it worth it?
I guess? It's not like I had to pay for it, as my existing hardware was perfectly compatible. Works great, too.
>>
>>54310572
No, downloading el cap from a VM is exactly what you're supposed to do.

BTW, which specs? While you're going to need to run some post installation software no matter what you have, that might not be enough depending on your build.
>>
>>54310642
>An OS is not software
Typical FreeBSD cuck.
>>
>>54310144
Hey one more big question. Which hard drive should I use, 120gb ssd, or 1tb hdd.
I might do all of my photoshop and animation work on it, just to force myself to work on it, so i'll be installing shit like photoshop, adobe flash, etc etc.

Or is it a big enough difference between ssd and hdd i should wait for a bigger ssd?
>>
>>54310692
>reading comprehension of a 5th grader

he meant applications faggot
2/10 bait made me reply
>>
>>54310144
Will this version work with Skylake and USB 3.0 out of the box?
>>
>>54310695
If you're going to format, might as well install it on the SSD. Keep in mind OS X can't natively write to NTFS volumes, so forget about sharing the 1TiB hard drive with Windows.
>>
>>54310695
SSD is a difference alright. And you'll have this one issue: if you use clover, which... is the normal thing to do, it'll take longer to boot than windows, that's for sure. So you want to minimize that. I feel that in my experience unfortunately, an SSD has made Windows really fast and some simple linux distros neck breaking, but OSX feels more... normal if you know what I mean. So I don't think I would even like it on HDD.
>>
>>54310687

i5 6500
GTX 960 4gb
DDR4 16gb
Asrock B150M
WD 1TB 5400RPM

Will this be ok?
>>
>>54310726
He could pirate Tuxera though. That's been working for me for ages. Though to my experience it would still be a better idea if you plan to install any OSX software to put it on an HFS+ partition, or else shit gets fucked up.
>>
>>54310486

website is down my man
>>
>>54310711
He clearly said "softwares", a word which doesn't even exist.
>>54310725
It's a vanilla version, so I assume it won't work without some extra kexts.
>>
>>54310762
You can write to NTFS with a simple terminal command as well, but as you said, it's preferable to just format to HFS+. I recall having some sorts of problems using a shared NTFS drive some time ago, but can't quite remember what they were.
>>
>>54310780
Try moving to a country without Internet censorship.
>>
>>54310692

I meant applications software, sorry I wasn't clear enough for you.

how am I cucked exactly? setting up a cluster is easy on freebsd, muh cad/renderers are supported, and I get better performance than I was able to squeeze out of the same setup on linux. It's like you have never installed software outside of your consumer stuff or something.
>>
>>54310748
Well, nvidia cards (while generally work better in my experience) don't really work all that out of the box so often, so keep that in mind.

Multibeast covers up a lot of incompatibilities after install. Has quite a few drivers bundled for things like USB 3.0 support, sound and ethernet so you might find your fixes there and it's really easy to use.
>>
>>54310726
Another anon, good to know this...
Hm, I have 1TB 5400 RPM HDD in 2 partitions, I was thinking about using the second partition for OS X. I'll have to buy one more HDD later but for now I don't have much choice. I won't touch my small SSD with Windows. I don't know how good/bad will the experience be with that drive. I want to do audio/video and photoshop in it.

Feels kinda stupid to download all of it again when it runs really fast on my SSD, but I really want to try new software.
>>
>>54310816
Ok, thanks anon.
>>
>>54310726
>>54310738
ah, should clarify one point here, this is for a laptop, only one harddrive bay, so i can't just put both into the machine either way, unless i purchase a replacement bay and remove my disc drive, so one big concern is hard drive space for the programs.

Also this will sound odd but im trying to keep the experience as "vanilla" as possible, i want to learn this so I can help customers with their macs where I work,.
>>
>>54310805
>how am I cucked exactly?
By using FreeBSD, aka GNU/BSD. If you're going to use a *BSD, use OpenBSD
>>
>>54310913
Then use the SSD. Definitely. OS X will feel like shit on a laptop hard drive.
>>
>>54310929
you realize freebsd is removing/has removed gnutils/gcc, right?

also freebsd works better for clusters in my experience

I can't tell if this is bait at this point jeez
>>
>>54310969
alright, thanks.

If i upgrade the size later, can i just clone the thing to a new ssd like i can with windows?
always been curious if mac could do that
>>
>>54311004
Yup. Just use the Disk Utility and clone the drive.
>>
Recently dumped Windows 7 (I still use it as a bare metal converted to VM however) daily runner for OSX El Capitan on a Dell Latitude E6420 with 100% success, no issues, outstanding performance (faster than a comparable MacBook Pro actually with a similar hardware config).

Works for me.

HATERS GONNA HATE
>>
>>54311026
Do touchpad gestures work well there?
>>
>>54311012
nice

>tfw you say "one more question but by time its answered you always have yet another question

any major differences between pirating software between the two os's?
Gunna have to grab a copy of photoshop and probably adobe flash for mac
>>
>>54311110
Interested in this too. No idea how it works.
>>
>>54311110
It's essentially the same for adobe products. You probably want to check out how to edit the hosts file (or grab little snitch, it's a pretty essential software for network filtering).

Other software, most of it just requires you to block connections, not a big deal.
>>
>>54311110
The way you have to crack photoshop for mac is nearly identical for pc. Turn off connection to the internet, add hosts lines, install it, connect, done.
In most cases pirating is identical. If not easier with pre-cracked apps.
>>
>>54311207
Yeah, some are literally drag and drop. Apple doesn't seem to give many fucks.
>>
>>54311110
Oh by the way keep this in mind: Installing adobe tools is just the same exact thing as windows, but to uninstall it you need to run an application on a specific folder. Uninstalling programs in OSX might be a bit weird because some programs are just drag and drop (where just bringing one to the trash can is essentially uninstalling it) and some other programs have their own uninstallers.

Some other programs, very few, make a bit of a mess. For those, grab appcleaner which gives you a nice little menu to choose what to uninstall like on Windows.
>>
Has amyone installed it on Bay Trail Ceeron N2860 with integrated graphics?
>>
>>54310804

How do i create the usb installer?

i have dl'd it. thanks.
>>
Guys, is this guide good? Can I just follow this?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/
>>
>Yes
>MacBook was aging, needed a step up for recording
>Other than being limited to a gtx780 to stay on Mountain Lion, yes
>>
>>54311414
Yep.

Be sure to follow the steps well. After installation you do have to use multibeast, at least so you can boot into the system without having to use that usb drive.
>>
>>54311428
Great, thanks.
>>
I have it running OS X Server 10.6.8 on a repurposed Dell PowerEdge 2900 with 2x quad core Xeon 2.66, 24GB RAM, 64 GB SSD for OS/apps, 4x 2TB HDD for storage and a Radeon 5350 as a NAT gateway/web server/ftp/Quake 3/Mumble server and an additional Maya rendering mode on my network. Solid as a rock, hardest part was a slight source code modification and recompile of the RAID drivers to get the PERC i5 working.
>>
>>54310144
is this version the latest one, 10.11.4?
>>
>>54310387
>It's the slowest of all systems
Maybe this wouldn't be the case if you didn't use pajeet tier workaround to run it
>>
File: 4b6Vek9.jpg (447 KB, 1000x1450) Image search: [Google]
4b6Vek9.jpg
447 KB, 1000x1450
>>54311178
>>54311207
>>54311322
Awesome, thanks for all the help!

86.3% downloaded
>>
File: 1459299302770.jpg (207 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1459299302770.jpg
207 KB, 920x900
>>54310421
I didn't understand your point, probably because it doesn't have one.
>>
>>54311908
So Unibeast is pajeet tier?
>>
>>54312472
What are your PC specs?
>>
>Do you have it
Yes
>Why did you decide to use it
I wanted to use something that wasn't as shit as windows 10, and something more reliable than Linux
>Was it worth it
Definitely! Clover installs are so smooth and I've never had any serious problems with it.
>>
>>54312742
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/S56CA/
I have another two or three spare laptops I could use too, but I like this ones lightness and its asus

I have like, 5 spare laptops laying around in varying states of repair
>>
Can you change the amount of pixels the mouse scrolls on OS X? Because it scrolls by 1px so when I use normal mouse wheel which "skips/jumps" I have to scroll like a maniac. It works differently on windows because it goes up/down like 10+ pixels per one scroll. Shit's almost unusable on a virtual machine.
>>
dumbie here

So why can OS X only be installed on such specific hardware? Is it because Apple has only optimized or allowed it to run for such machines?

Would it be theoretically possible for Apple to allow OS X to run on any hardware in the near future?
>>
>>54313388
I'm using my G400 right now on my Macbook Pro and it definitely scrolls more than 1 line.

Check mouse in System Preferences.
>>
>>54313390
>So why can OS X only be installed on such specific hardware?

because osx only has certain drivers
>>
>>54313438
Alright, that explains it.

So if Apple were to write drivers (or allow manufacturers to write them) then they could install it on any hardware, right?
>>
I've been curious about getting an Apple OS onto my laptop. I've never used one extensively, and I think it'd be worth it to be at least somewhat familiar with it. Plus, it'd be an interesting challenge. (For my level of computer skill, anyway.)
>>
>>54313409
Idk, I checked all of that, but haven't found a setting where I can change it. Weird. I have razer deathadder and you know, when I scroll by one step, the page scrolls the tiniest amount. I've even tried to install some program with additional mouse settings but couldn't change it. Maybe it was just the problem with that particular system on a VM, no idea.

As far as I know that should be normal on macs, because apple's mouse has that smooth ball (now just a touch surface) which doesn't skip like regular mouses. Maybe I'm wrong, didn't have much experience with macs.
>>
>>54313409
Idk, I checked all of that, but haven't found a setting where I can change it. Weird. I have razer deathadder and you know, when I scroll by one step, the page scrolls the tiniest amount. I've even tried to install some program with additional mouse settings but couldn't change it. Maybe it was just the problem with that particular system on a VM, no idea.

As far as I know that should be normal on macs, because apple's mouse has that smooth ball (now just a touch surface) which doesn't skip like regular mouses. Maybe I'm wrong, didn't have much experience with macs.
>>
>>54312816
OS/X on a non Mac PC is definately not more reliable than linux.
>>
>>54313583
>OSX has more programs written for it
>you need Wine on Linux in order to get shit that crashes
>>
>>54308647

>Do you have it?
Yes
Windows is turning to shit. Linux is shit on desktops.
>Was it worth it?
Yes. I installed in a couple of hours one evening and haven't looked back. It was laughably easier to set up than Linux. It's working out really well.
>>
>>54313583

Yes it is. BSD > Linux
>>
>>54308934
How'd you get your terminal to look so nice?
>>
File: 1457097334854.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1457097334854.gif
486 KB, 475x347
>>54308647

OS X after Lion has a shit graphics perfomance on a fuck DE.

Goddamnit! Why apple don't fix this shit?

Finder is other fucking piece of shit! GOD!

OS X is getting worse every released version. For fucks sake!
>>
>>54315126

OS X after Snow Leopard *
>>
>>54315126
This gif gave me a good giggle. I saved it. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>54308934

omfg what is that clock
>>
>>54315178

You're welcome, anon. :)
>>
Info on running OS X on FX8320 or 8350? Guides or kernels?
>>
>>54315779
install gentoo
>>
>>54315815
THIS
>>
>>54315815
I already run Arch, I just want OS X to dick around with
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.