[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: 8c0b94d477948c09564f92afecf396eb.jpg (198 KB, 1280x1720) Image search: [Google]
8c0b94d477948c09564f92afecf396eb.jpg
198 KB, 1280x1720
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>54240209
>>
ass
>>
there's no difference between the Ivory HD598 and the black ight?
>>
>>54280826
No sonic difference.
>>
Whatever happened to the tier list that was linked in every thread?
>>
File: 51ilLg6Wh-L.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51ilLg6Wh-L.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Is this a better alternative to the one on Amazon for A/B testing?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Audio-Switching-Board-3-5mm-A-B-Audio-Input-Block-Optional-Output-Type/32590894022.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IPOD-AB-Stereo-MP3-Player/dp/B005TE7GP4/
>>
>>54281786
>>Csg
>>
Yes or no?
>>
Shure SE215 or Yamaha EPH-100
Keep in mind I just returned a pair of SE215 because they came faulty out of the box
>>
>>54282112
RHA MA750
>>
>>54282957
I was also thinking about Onkyo IE-CTI300 or Final Heaven II, both of which i can get for cheaper than my other choices
>>
Anyone else had a Sennheiser customer support service of two broken headphones replaced for free to finally just give you a newer and more expensive model?
>>
>>54283122
I think you have the wrong thread if not the wrong board. . .
>>
>>54283163
Since you admit it was intentional then there is no reason to not report the post.
>>
>>54283122
What kind of headphones would she wear
>>
>>54283163
Nigger go back to >>>/b/
>>
>>54280773
my sweet, sweet murata poster

do you have your pics uploaded somewhere
>>
>>54283303
I think I got them from dabooru/gelbooru.
>>
>>54283387
found them under renji

sankyu
>>
>>54281843
400i or nothing, bruh
>>
>>54284946
Not him but 400i it's like 500$ when this it's about 100 on massdrop.
>>54281843
You can consider HE400S about 300$ as a save purchase idk if 350 is worth the risk + huge shipping time.
>>
>>54281786
Why don't you just buy it? It's cheap anyway.
>>54281843
If it's your first headphone. Yes.
>>54283112
Which headphone did you get?
>>
The BA's in this actually sound great. The flat profile sounds fairly similar to Etys with a low end boost.
>>
How is sennheiser's low-mid tier headphones? I ordered a pair of sennheiser HD451's cause I had a spare gift card. Waiting for shipping. Wondering if it was worth it.
>>
>>54285074
First replaced my PC 360, then again for the same microphone break, and then just gave me the PC363d which is 100 bucks more MSRP than the 200 paid before.

It seems at least the PC363d is more durable at least and with all the same conditions won't break down. Snapheiser might have it down with this one.
>>
I have an Asgard 2 SS amp but was thinking and trying out a tube amp with my HD650 for fun. Any suggestions?
>>
Is it possible to EQ a headphone mathematically?

Like, taking the headphone's measurements (perceived response) and then using math to create an accurate EQ based off it?
>>
Budget: $2000
Source: Grace M9xx
Open
Comfy
Tonal Balance: Whatever sounds good or doesn't make my ears bleed
Music: Movie, Videogame Soundtracks, female vocals
Past: HD600
Going for end game and cutting off at $2000. Thanks!
>>
>>54285354
Do you plug those monsters into your eyes or something
>>
>>54286368
Hd800S
>>
>>54286368
>Grace M9xx
lol buy something decent instead
>>
>>54286416
ah shoot are they really that bad?
>>
>>54286086
you could probably make some program with an OCR scanner for graphs.
>>
>>54286413
Will look into it.
>>
>>54286022
vali 2? will give you a taste for it
>>
>>54286454
Ignore them, any DAC/amp over a couple hundred bucks is fine for anything, the pricy stuff is meme territory. 95% of sound is affected by your headphones, and the other 5% is placebo. Picks DACs/amps based on the features and functionality you need, not purported improvements in sound.
>>
Found an EQ graph for the 400i, dunno if anyone here knows of it:

http://bradshacks.com/he400i-eq/

You need to have an EQ that can do like 17 bands, he has the specific settings down for both Q and width values.
>>
>>54286368
Ether, HD800S, maybe HE-X.

I see no problem with just sticking with the HD600.
>>
>>54286706
basing EQ off the measurement of a single unit on a single measurement rig is a bad idea
>>
>>54286477
I was thinking about getting either the Valhalla 2 or lyr 2 but can't decide which. I know the preamp tubes last a year or so, do the power tubes in the Valhalla last longer or also a year? When you decide to replace a faulty tube how do you know which tube to replace?
>>
>>54286454
No from the specs they look fine. Unless there's some problem with the audio there's no need to replace it.

Check out innerfidelity's buyers' guide. Also look at electrostatic headphones and investing in speakers instead.
>>
>>54286782
Can't do speakers unfortunately although an open back would only help me so much in not disturbing others in my house,
>>
>>54286710
These look great. Out of the three which would you go for?
>>
>>54286733
I'll take your word for it random anon, even if you never explain why
>>
>>54286829
At this kind of price point, it just goes down to what you like.
>>
>>54286850
can't figure it out on your own? maybe reading the audeze measurement standards post on innerfidelity will explain half that post at least then surely the other half you can figure out.
>>
>>54286871
Won't be able to demo any of these within my area so I'm going in blind unfortunately.
>>
>>54286893
My personal opinion:
Ether =/> HD800S > HE-X

HD800S is brighter than Ether but not ear piercing like HD800. While both are comfortable, HD800S is lighter and has more space in the cup.
>>
>>54286941
hd800s are not bright they have an upper midrange dip
>>
>>54286733
maybe for you. The wiki literally just suggests you EQ by ear alone, how is that any worse than basing one off measurements?

>>54286884
Regardless of Tyll's measurements, there's literally two other people that's actually went and measured the 400i and I doubt their measurements are any better, unless you can find one that's been done by HiFiman themselves.

At the end of the day, final judgements of the EQ is by personal preference, it's not like you have to stick to that EQ graph and aren't allowed to make your own adjustments.
>>
>>54286956
>The wiki literally just suggests you EQ by ear alone, how is that any worse than basing one off measurements?
it's not worse, it's better.
>>
>>54286814
If you're spending $2000 on headphones you want open back. They're closer to a natural sound and have better imaging. Basically everything sounds better on them.

Check out the mr speakers ether, sennheiser hd700/800, beyerdynamic t1/v2, akg k812, hifiman he560/edition x/he-6, audeze's lcd range, oppo pm1/2, shure srh 1440/1840.

Your best bet if you're spending this much is to find a hifi store near you.
>Location: U.S
Of course you can find one.
>>
>>54286966
explain
>>
>>54286999
your ears are nothing like the coupler that the headphones were measured on for your reference graph. nobody shares your preferences either. if you EQ by ear it's entirely within your ability to adjust the response to how you like it.

people who have measured headphones before know exactly how the smallest adjustments and/or miscalculations can change the measurements in a big way, particularly in the subbass regions and high frequencies.
>>
>>54286956
>The wiki literally just suggests you EQ by ear alone, how is that any worse than basing one off measurements?
That how you should EQ: listening to sine sweeps and adjust the EQ based on them. Get logarithmic sine sweeps, listen to dips and peaks in the response, correct them with EQ, listen again and do the same. Once the response is free of the major problems you have successfully equalized the headphones. Now if you want to do some bass boost or anything else with the response, shelving filters and low Q peaking filters are useful at adjusting the overall tonality without altering the careful EQ you just did.
>>
File: k701.png (158 KB, 980x498) Image search: [Google]
k701.png
158 KB, 980x498
When the hell did K701's start getting so cheap?
>>
>>54287415
When people started to realize they're utter shit

7XX are the only good ones
>>
>>54287415
When they moved production to china
>>
Hi again /hpg/. I'm the guy who was searching some wireless headphones for his dad. I think I have a few options, but I would like to ask you for your opinion because I don't want to mess it up.
>>
File: 41bMMAXlJZL.jpg (23 KB, 405x500) Image search: [Google]
41bMMAXlJZL.jpg
23 KB, 405x500
Are these used as studio monitors?
>>
>>54287622
Well, my optios are this, at lñeast what I think it cover my needs and the most I liked it

>https://www.amazon.es/Sony-MDR-RF811RK-Auriculares-cerrados-inalámbricos/dp/B00I3LUP7G

>https://www.amazon.es/Sony-MDRRF855RK-EU8-Auriculares-diadema-cerrados/dp/B00AKUHC6A/

>https://www.amazon.es/Sennheiser-RS-160-Auriculares-inalámbricos/dp/B002SOU2Y0/
>>
>>54287632
598SE?

Probably could be yeah. Just don't rely on them entirely, and make sure you know what areas of the sound they're modifying. Are you mixing on monitors and just cross checking on the headphones?
>>
>>54287798
Unless he needs the wireless because of mobility issues you might consider just getting him some closed headphones with a long cord.

>country
>source
>music

etc.

Read the pastebin.
>>
>>54287911
Yeah yeah, I did the pastebin a few days ago. I will do it again.

My father have mobility issues and he's kinda old (60+ years) that's why I would like to get half decent wireless.

>Budget
50-100€

>Location
Europe

>Source
Old LG TV

>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Not important, but closed

>Comfort level
Maximun at posible

>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
TV is source so I think this steps are not important either

>Past headphones
Cheap earbuds
>>
>>54287978
Whichever wireless that fits your budget on Tyll's wall of fame.
>>
What's the difference between a SE215 and SE846?
>>
>>54288344
The SE846 cost 10 times as much and judging by the frequency response curves, they're no different. The SE535 are probably the best from the SE-line.

I own the SE215 myself and I'm really happy with them.
>>
>>54288313
That wall of fame is kinda expensive for me, I also don't want to spend so much in them because my dad is old and the source will be the TV, so I just need decent quality. What do you think on these? >>54287798
>>
>>54287889
I'm not monitoring anything i'm just curious. Are bright headphones the ones people use to monitor? From what I've seen the 598 are pretty neutral so wouldn't that make them good for monitoring? People seem to enjoy the K701/702 to monitor but those are very treble heavy with little bass
>>
File: Capture.png (133 KB, 621x470) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
133 KB, 621x470
>>54288530
>That wall of fame is kinda expensive for me
Wot
>>
>>54288625
I checked that ones, the only ones I could afford of that Wall, and people from reviews didn't seem so happy about them, and the auto-off mainly. That's why I discarded them. Are they wrong?
>>
>>54288656
theyre not great headphones
>>
>>54288656
I have no experience with wireless so my opinion is irrelevant. Your 60+ year old dad won't be able to tell the difference between good and bad anyway.
>>
>>54288689
That's what I though

>>54288698
He's not that deaf, just under average because of age I guess. I will stick to under 70€ sony I guess. Thanks guys. I still listen to opinions.
>>
>>54288656
I had them until they fell apart. They're my favorurite wireless so far. Could listen to it in my entire house.

The main mistake people make with them is adjusting the input level wrong and regulate the volume on the playback device instead of the headset. If the input volume is too low, you hear noise. But this isn't an ordinary Headphone, and it can't be treated like one.
however, it has, aside from wrong configs, some other drawbacks
Yeah, the drop back to static can suck if the base station switches off. This happens when you had no sound for too long (as I recall roughly 20~30 sec, or you generally fail to set the input level, as mentioned above. TV usually doesn't have that problem.
The battery bay and the connectors need to be cleaned regularly, also hair can kill the volume controls on the device. It won't last long anyway. I used mine (RS 120 Vanilla) I think for 12 years, but without throughout cleaning every once a while and replacing the earpads once it wouldn't have lasted that long. The final straw was the headpiece having a crack and the audio cable falling apart due to constant loss of plastic softener, the audio cable can't be replaced without soldering. Also the connectors were already corroding.
Reception was good, but I had some faggots around the neighboring (okay, giant neighboring) condo having the same ones, or at least the same technology, I counted 3 different sources. If you live in the mddle of nowhere this isn't an issue.
It is however, as any wireless device, not happy with faulty electronics running near. On BT it would just reduce the reception distance, but on analogue like the RS120, you could hear them.
>>
>>54280826
Ivory comes with the long ass cable that terminates into 1/4" and a 3.5mm adapter, black comes with the long cable, and a shorter cable that terminates into a 3.5
>>
>>54289030
I'm glad to see I choosed great. I finall went for the Sony MDR-RF855RK because I think the battery life will help my dad if he forgets to charge them. I'm not worried about the bassy thing.
>>
Is there any good DAC+AMP combo in the 100 bucks range that's not the FiiO E10 or Xonar U7?
Would it be stupid to use an audio interface like Steinberg UR22 for that purpose?
>>
>>54289140
Micca Origen?
>>
You seriously believe that European headphones can beat American made ones?
>>
>>54287889
Not as monitors, no.

For tracking/ monitoring you should use closed backs. Sony MDR 7506 meme phones are great for that, and their slightly bass heavy, which is good for picking up low frequency hum during recording.

For mixing, open backs are preferable. The 598s are usable. They're certainly not the best, but they're by no means bad. There's hardly any cans better for adjusting and listening to soundstage and presence, and they're great for mixing spoken word. If you're careful, and don't have a biased ear, you can use them for mixing drums, but the majority of people will overdo the bass, because the 598s are very bass neutral. This isn't a bad thing, but if you don't know better, you'll think they didn't have enough low end.

If you belive in burn in, they say the 598s need a good bit, although I can't say whether burn in is really a thing.
>>
>>54289165
Etymotic is great. So is Stax.

What's European? Sennheiser and Beyer? You think HD800S is better than Stax?
>>
>>54289193
>their
They're*

Goddammit, I triggered myself
>>
>>54289165
Only the product matters, not the brand.
>>
>>54289046
then why the fuck is ivory more expensive?
>>
>>54289283
The blacks are actually "special editions" that sold exclusively on amazon for a reduced price last black Friday. I think they sold at like $115 new, or something like that.
>>
>>54289193
>because the 598s are very bass neutral.
Anything around the same price with better bass?
>>
>>54289163
Looks nice, can't find a trader who ships it to my country however.
Going to keep an eye out in case that changes.
Is the Audioengine D1 a decent alternative?
>>
>>54289317
600s or 650s, and I think those ATs everyone memes about. But I'll tell you that you'd be better off getting used to the 598s and training your ear to accept the neutral (and technically more accurate) bass, and enjoying the ridiculous soundstage on them. The next step up that would be "better" for studio use would likely be the 700 series.
>>
Is this bait? Who's right? Talking about the O2+ODAC, Part I:

likless: Extraordinarily low value-for-money, propped up only by the NWAVguy cult of personality. I'd get a Geek Out for that money. Its smaller, provides sufficient power for most IEMs/headphones and is futureproof by virtue of its switchable filters and greater format support (though the formats are not inherently superior in any audible way).

-Munson-: I disagree. A relatively neutral dac/amp combo with the ability to change gains in a small package with relatively decent output power, low noise, and low output impedance. I think that offers very good value for sub $300.

likless: Until you see the Geek Out, Hifime offerings, Fostex HP-A4 at massdrop prices, Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 2. It was designed years ago and it shows in its feature set and measurements that are relatively commonplace nowadays and achieved at a lower price - perhaps as a result of NWAVguy's campaigning.

Also, the O2 was licensed such that small players could build it for sale relatively easily. There is an absence of the economies of scale and cost optimization, such as by SMD assembly, necessitated by its DIYer bent. It is not as cheap as it can be and ought to be for a relatively pedestrian NE5532/LM4562 implementation as a result.
>>
>>54289364
>600s or 650s
Nowhere near around the same price though

>700 series
Talking about the HD700 or AKG's 700s?
>>
Part 2:

-Munson-: The amps you're mentioning aren't neutral and that's fine - they don't have to be - but not all of us want to listen to our amps. In regards to the Geek Out amp, the company doesn't list any power measurements besides 1000mW@16ohms for the Geek Out 1000. I wouldn't buy any product from a company that doesn't offer more detailed measurements.

The HiFiMAN offerings at that price are tubes. Different amps.

likless: I am confused as to why you would assume the O2 exhibits true neutrality. If you went by the measurements, these DACs all approach, meet or exceed the O2's specifications. If you were part of the crowd that believes in audible transparency by measurements, they all easily exceed that threshold. From an objective, measurements-focused perspective that makes no sense. Oh, and the Geek Out's measurements are everywhere. Try looking harder. They measure great on an AP analyzer. And AP > Dscope.

From a subjective perspective, impressions generally rate the O2+ODAC below the offerings I suggested - and they have better form factors and featuresets.

Tl;dr There is absolutely no reason, but from an objectivist and subjectivist standpoint to buy an O2/ODAC except for blind fanaticism.
>>
>>54289387
Sennheisers. I honestly don't belive there's anything comparable to the 598s at that price, except maybe those ATs I can't fucking recall the name of, for the life of me. (and I've never tried a pair of the ATs, but professional reviews seem to think they're comparable)
>>
>>54289383
>>54289404
so much talk about expensive dac/amps and no mention of the most value for money: FiiO e10k

they're basically the poor man's odac+o2 while still being powerful enough to power even the harder headphones to drive and it's completely neutral
>>
>>54289452
Is it better than the SMSL SD 793II?
>>
>>54289383
>>54289404
>Oh, and the Geek Out's measurements are everywhere. Try looking harder.
I don't see it here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-amp-measurements
He didn't cite a single measurement to back up his claims. You should disregard everything he said until he cares to back it up with actual data.
>>
>>54289567
I haven't seen a single measurement of that
>>
File: T2nROcXoFbXXXXXXXX_!!90272170.jpg (77 KB, 750x529) Image search: [Google]
T2nROcXoFbXXXXXXXX_!!90272170.jpg
77 KB, 750x529
>>54289567
Probably very similar but the e10k connects to the PC via USB only while that sd793ii connects to an outlet
>>
File: Sennheiser_HD%20598_fr_amp_c2.png (66 KB, 620x369) Image search: [Google]
Sennheiser_HD%20598_fr_amp_c2.png
66 KB, 620x369
>>54289429
Is that peak around 4-5khz sibilant?
>>
Are there any /hpg/ infographs for in-ears?
>>
>>54289807
Look in Audiobudget website.

Buy Rock Zircons 5/5 stars.
>>
>>54289753
Nah, they're really good at dampening sibilance, and have some of the lowest listening fatigue of any cans I've used.
>>
>>54289818
thanks anon
these look great
>>
I know this isnt question about headphones, but could you recommend some okayish desk mic around 50-70$? Alternatives to Blue Mic Snowball etc?
>>
>Budget
$200 Canadian
>Location
Canada, require interac payment (newegg works)
>Source
laptop out-port
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
optimize for sound
>Preferred tonal balance
whatever lets me hear lyrics easier
>Preferred music
progressive rock, metal and other kinds of rock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuHbVZL-jo
>Past headphones
shit sennheisers, wal-mart crap that breaks
>>
File: IMG_20160130_082735208.jpg (1 MB, 1600x5592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_082735208.jpg
1 MB, 1600x5592
>>54291347
>>
>>54292372
thanks senpai
>>
>>54288625
I had these so long ago.

I think I had some trouble with the FM transmission noise. There's no way you will still have this problem now though.
>>
>>54292372
>blue snowball costs twice here
fug
>>
File: glasses-headset-worried-scared.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
glasses-headset-worried-scared.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>Budget
£40-£50
>Location
L O N D O N, england
>Source
Desktop pc
full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfort, my ears are small.
>Past headphones
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-p11/46
-Pretty shit
-Leaked sound
-uncomfortable
-physical sound dial cumbersome could be used as a projectile.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Headset-Microphone/dp/B002Q8IHDQ
-Pretty good
-Leaked less sound
-Comfortable
-mute button never quite worked

I don't want a headset, just something that won't break.
>>
>>54292669
typical english cheapass.
makes 50/hour, buys headphones for 50.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1440x1080
i read the guides and superlux hd668b looks pretty good, i really like the detachable cable, but some reviews are saying it clamps your head

does anyone have experience with these? How bad is the clamp? i would be wearing this shit for up to 8+ hours at a time
>>
>>54292669
Holy shit, I wasn't the only guy who watched RDG?
>>
File: Farage.jpg (59 KB, 634x542) Image search: [Google]
Farage.jpg
59 KB, 634x542
>>54292772
I don't know what the English have done to you, but yeah I'm being pretty cheap, moneys tight mate what can I say. I've only 200 quid to blow on larger this week.

>>54292798
sorry friend afraid you still are, I just thought her headphones looked pretty rad.
>>
File: 500x1000px-LL-0ceee22c_book.jpg (12 KB, 319x208) Image search: [Google]
500x1000px-LL-0ceee22c_book.jpg
12 KB, 319x208
>>54292781
You can stretch them by placing over some stuff.
>>
>>54292267
This guy again. Which would you select?

$84.76 JVC HA-RX900
$149.99 Sennheiser HD280
$196.43 SONY MDR-V6
$199.99 Sennheiser HD 380
>>
>>54293157
nothing
>>
>>54288590
No bright headphones would be awful for monitoring, you want neutral so the sound is true and not colored

The HD598 is a fantastic choice btw
>>
>>54293319
>No bright headphones would be awful for monitoring, you want neutral so the sound is true and not colored
Why do people fantasize about the k701/702 then?
>>
>>54293348
The only reason I could see bright headphones being good for "monitoring" is if you are using them to detect high pitched noise or distortion for editing the music later. Really for monitoring you want monitor speakers, headphones will help though along side the monitors for a different perspective.
>>
>>54293319
>>54293348
>>54293375

I think you all have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "monitoring" actually is.
>>
>>54293405
To expand on this, monitoring usually refers to the act of an artist listening to a track, while recording over it.

IE: Eminem uses his headphones to monitor a song so that he can record his vocals over it, properly.
The guitarist monitors the drum track, so he can stay on beat while recording his solo.

Tracking is another name for recording raw tracks, mixing is adjusting eq and levels, usually in post production.

Tracking/monitoring you want closed backs ie: MDR 7506

Mixing you want studio monitors or open backs, ie: HD598's
>>
File: ks5zuX8.jpg (430 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
ks5zuX8.jpg
430 KB, 3008x2000
What are the best headphones for blocking out noise at inconsistent frequencies? Like noise from a tv or people talking?
>>
>>54293696
Shure IEMs.
>>
File: ATH-EW9.jpg (175 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
ATH-EW9.jpg
175 KB, 600x400
Yes or no?
>>
>>54293777
Suffers the drawbacks of being closed but doesn't seal or offer any isolation like open. Why would you wear these?
>>
>>54293755
These look pretty interesting to be honest, but earphones generally don't want to stay in my mongoloid ears. I'm thinking more headphones
>>
>>54293883
>but earphones generally don't want to stay in my mongoloid ears
Use the foamies. Maximum isolation and securely fits any ears.
>>
File: amazon.png (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
amazon.png
19 KB, 400x400
What's the best headset I could find on Amazon UK for under £25/$35?
>>
>>54293927
get out
>>
Guy's how does my 702 EQ look?

Good?, retarded?. I wanted more bass and that's just what I got, everything else sounds fine to me but i'm wondering if it can be improved. I'm done with buying new headphones so I just want to get the best out of these. Cheers.
>>
File: Capture.png (87 KB, 1290x797) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
87 KB, 1290x797
>>54294093
>pic related
>>
>>54294109
It would look a whole lot better if you flipped it upside down.
>>
File: HE-350.jpg (133 KB, 1435x987) Image search: [Google]
HE-350.jpg
133 KB, 1435x987
Any recommendations for a beginner's DAC/AMP? I was looking at the HiFiMAN EF2A, but I want to start with a portable/SS DAC/AMP for my travels.

>>54281843
Fuck I couldn't resist these.

$99 Dollarydoos. If they're shit, I'll just keep em as a backup anyway.
>>
>>54294459
FiiO E10K
>>
File: 1429034996507.jpg (22 KB, 284x285) Image search: [Google]
1429034996507.jpg
22 KB, 284x285
>Budget
150 euroshekels max
>Location
europoor
>Source
pc
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
need to be comfy and big so they are not squishing my ears
>Past headphones
shity gayman headset

Pls recommend me some
>>
>>54294858
XPT100
>>
>>54294858
If you can stretch your budget another 50 euros take a look at the MSR7.
>>
>>54294312
Uwotm8
>>
Super poorfag here looking for decent headphones.

Superlux HD 681 or Sennheiser HD 451?
>>
>>54295374
Takstar 2050
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1920x1080
I've bought a pair of AKG K451s. I like the sound but they're a little tight on my head
Anything I can do about this? I really like em but I wish they could be a bit more comfy
>>
>>54295402
Aren't those aggressively V shaped, causing sibilance?
>>
Headphones for people with afros?
>>
>>54295292
The bass is already blending into the mids. You're making them downright muddy with an EQ like that.
>>
>>54295459
>>54293089
JUST CMON MAN
>>
>>54295485
Could you give me some advice?, I copied someone else's graph from here when I asked for help last time. They sound good to me but I have wondered if they're slightly muddy now. I don't really know any better.
>>
File: GE.png (57 KB, 645x505) Image search: [Google]
GE.png
57 KB, 645x505
>>54295566
Right now the raw frequency response of your headphones looks something like the grey graph here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
You want it to look like the Golden Ears Target in my pic.
>>
>>54295686
Appreciate it, i'm aware of golden ears but what is the target?, to make them sound as good as possible across the board?. If I'm chasing 'perfection' does that mean I have to settle for the bass that this chart will give me?. That's not a problem, I just want the best from these headphones.
>>
>>54295797
>Appreciate it, i'm aware of golden ears but what is the target?, to make them sound as good as possible across the board?
To make them as accurate as possible. The more colored your headphones are, the more you are listening to your headphones instead of your music. The goal is high fidelity.
>If I'm chasing 'perfection' does that mean I have to settle for the bass that this chart will give me?
No, but it's a good starting point. If you follow the slope from 300 Hz all the way up to 3 kHz, you're off to a good start. The rest of the treble should be adjusted by ear, but you're probably better off following the graph if that's still too complicated for you. You can experiment with the bass as much as you like.
>>
Why don't headphones come equalized by default?
>>
>>54296077
Headphones are individual audio devices. Audio enjoyment is personally subjective. At least that's what I remind myself whenever I see someone walking around with Beats headphones.
>>
File: yea.jpg (180 KB, 1021x618) Image search: [Google]
yea.jpg
180 KB, 1021x618
i got these a few days ago, was torn between these and HD650s

couldnt pass up the sale, kinda liking the wireless
>>
>>54296103
>Audio enjoyment is personally subjective.
Then what's the point of that golden ears target?
>>
>>54296181
It is a reference point. That does not mean it is an accurate reference point to you or me or anyone else even if it is accurate to others.
>>
>>54296212
that reference point would make the 702 sound like complete shit imo
>>
>>54295934
Thank you, I cant wait to try this out.
>>
>>54296162
>instead of hd650 i bought plantronics wireless

How do you sleep at night?
>>
>>54296303
What do you think about my screen shotted 702 graph a few posts up?

I expected people to have different opinions but I was hoping for a rough universal preference that I could add a touch of bass to.
>>
>>54297049
I don't understand much about EQing but the k702 doesn't need any raise in the treble, it needs to be tamed down from 2khz onwards. They have a massive peak around 7-9Khz. Regarding the mids I think they're perfect the way they are. It's the bass below 100hz that might need some raising
>>
>>54297132
Cheers I'm working on that now, I was aware of a treble 'spike' with the 702's but I literally followed someone else graph a few weeks ago and that's what he recommended?. I'm not sure anymore.
>>
>>54297238
>that's what he recommended
It's purely subjective. Some people aren't even bothered by the 702's treble at all
>>
File: AKG_K%20702_fr_amp_c2.png (65 KB, 620x369) Image search: [Google]
AKG_K%20702_fr_amp_c2.png
65 KB, 620x369
>>54297238
Here's one of the few graphs that I agree with completely. Try to tame the highs and give more presence to the lows.
>>
I'm using the Razer virtual surround software and I'm enjoying it and there is NOTHIGN you can do about it
>>
>>54297284
That's good anon, no one's going to make fun of you. It's a pretty good software for virtual surround
>>
File: 1451267374310.png (27 KB, 77x128) Image search: [Google]
1451267374310.png
27 KB, 77x128
>>54297343
Is a $35 sound card gonna give me a better performance or are those just gamer memes
>>
>>54297455
Don't know. I bought an e10k for 90€ and the only difference I noticed is that this amp is capable of much higher volume than if I connected them to the PC or mobile phone.

Also don't buy internal sound cards unless you need extra inputs or outputs. Motherboards have fantastic audio chips nowadays.
>>
File: 2013-07-05 11.10.04.jpg (350 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-07-05 11.10.04.jpg
350 KB, 1600x1200
Are there no frequency response charts for these at all? I can only find for the regular AD700. I'm interested to know how to they compare to the HD598 bass wise and is the treble as harsh as the k702?
>>
>>54297482
>Motherboards have fantastic audio chips nowadays.
They don't, but neither do $35 sound cards. Output is usually good enough, but input is often garbage-tier.
>>
>>54297801
Bass is a weak spot for this series.
>>
>>54297962
>They don't
But...

> input is often garbage-tier.
Ah yes, that I agree.
>>
>>54297971
>Bass is a weak spot for this series.
I know that but the X re-releases were supposed to fix that hence why i'm so interested in looking at charts
>>
>>54297801
>>54297985
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/manufacturers-guide-submitting-headphones-review-innerfidelity
>>
File: 1441339969316.jpg (849 KB, 901x996) Image search: [Google]
1441339969316.jpg
849 KB, 901x996
DT 880 or HD 600?
>>
>>54298198
do you want a snapped or intact headband?
>>
>>54298198
I'd also like to know this. But in my case it'd be DT880 vs HD598
>>
>>54298198
HD 600 if you are looking for natural sound.
DT 880 if you are looking for a more dynamic sound.

I have both and I preffer the HD 600 over the DT 880. The Beyerdynamics have too much treble and too little mids.
>>
>>54298712
cool head-fi memes
>>
How good honestly are the Audio-Technica M50x as a starting point for good headphones?
>>
>>54299049
too bassy and overpriced. the m40x are bjectively superior i don't understand why people keep talking about the m50x
>>
Just got my HD598's in. Never tried the lossless audio test, but damn, 1st try, even. These cans are breddy gud.

http://test.tidalhifi.com/
>>
>>54299078
>too overpriced
I paid $120 for a pair.
>>
>>54299084
Are you 19?, not even joking.
>>
File: DSC01284.jpg (598 KB, 1228x816) Image search: [Google]
DSC01284.jpg
598 KB, 1228x816
>>54298849
Did you listen to both headphones? I bet you didn't.
I made my opinion by carefully comparing them. Your post is the only meme here.
>>
>>54299084
there is no audible difference between flac and 320 unless the 320 is poorly transcoded
>>
>>54299154
you carefully spouted meaningles buzzwords, thats what you did
>>
>>54299158
I didn't say it was easy to tell, and the differences were extremely subtle. Not enough that mp3 would make me cringe, or anything, but they were there.

>>54299154
Just did the same test on my MDR 7506's. Same result, but even less noticable, and I think I was a little biased, knowing what to look for this time. The Sony's are my tracking cans, anyway. (I guess I should mention that I run a podcast and record for local bands, which is a big part of my audio experience)
>>
Can i get same help ?
I have an issue with my audio i can hear a lot of noise and distortion even when all sound is off when the headphones are plugged in the back audio port and when i plug it in the front port i just do not get all the volume i can but with no noise and distortion i mean aren't the front jack and back jack connected 2 the same motherboard? Why do they sound so distant and different compared with each other?
Also i just spent almost every penny i got on HE400S and i think this audio i got will not provide the headphone with all that it can deliver i will prob go for Fiio Taishan-D03K as a cheap DAC will it be worth it?
>>
Looking for some IEM recs.

>Budget
As cheap as you can get, preferably under $40
>Location
USA
>Source
MP3 Player/Phone
IEM
>Comfort level
I'd prefer something that won't make my ears hurt after a few hours.
>Preferred music
Ambient, Funk, Metal, various other electronic genres I can't be assed to know the names of but a lot of electronic music in general
>Past headphones
I was using some shitty M&M earbuds for my phone but the sound was kind of crap, but I only used them rarely. I also have a pair of ATH-M40fs for my PC that I like well enough, but something like that is way too big for portability.

Was just going to grab the RP-HJE120 since those were the cheapest, but are there any other good recs?
>>
>>54300549
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-monitors#8MMwrfysrgV8S9xs.97 about 2 under 40 pick the 1 you like (dawn)
>>
>>54300600
Considering one of those pretty much is $40, lets make it $35 and under, with priority to cheaper ones since I have a problem with IEMs fucking up so I'd like to get two for one as backup.

I tried looking for the Xiaomi Piston 2, but it seems like there's so many fakes out there that I'm having a hard time finding it sold from some place reliable.
>>
so I got my HyperX Cloud(Takstar Pro80) I like the sound on them much better than my ATH M30's, so I probably going to get the Micca OriGen+ and im curious to know how these will sound and my HD518s once i get them back
>>
Does anyone know if the Philips SHP9500 are discontinued still?
>>
>>54300872
>Does anyone know if the Philips SHP9500 are discontinued still?

this, I am salty af i didnt jump on them when they were 68 burger bucks
>>
>>54300683
Fuck it, I grabbed the Piston 3.0's since most reviews seem to put them at equal or better than the 2.0 in some ways and I can apparently grab a legit pair from amazon.

Thanks for the help, buddy.
>>
>>54300911
I shouldn't be saying this because I low-key want a pair even though I wouldn't be able to use them often, but you can get a pair (open case) on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190R&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190R-_-Product
I will be salty if the pair you buy (if you buy it) is the last one, but whatever.

>>54301055
be careful when buying them on amazon, there's a chance you could get a fake pair. Just make sure you can return them if you get it from there.

I got my Piston 3's from Gearbest, and from what I can tell and the comparisons I've done they're a genuine pair. I hear Geekbuying sells legit pairs too
>>
>>54301142
I grabbed mine from a seller named "Xiaomi professional store" which are apparently legit. I got them through Prime with the order fulfilled by Amazon, so if things go to shit, a refund should be possible.

IIRC, Xiaomi has a verification thing on their website, too, yeah?
>>
>>54301320
Xiaomi does have a verification site ( http://www.mi.com/verify/ ) but it's only if you have the authentication label on your package like the one on the website shows. Mine didn't have it so there wasn't really a way to 100% that mine were legit.

I did look at the fake vs real comparisons on the Xiaomi forums and went through different websites to see what people thought of the sound so I'm pretty confident mine are legit.
Here's the fake vs real comparison just in case yours doesn't have the authentication label.

http://en.miui.com/thread-154254-1-1.html
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
Any headphones in the $200 price range similar to the sony mdr-xb500's? I absolutely loved these for listening to hip hop/bassey music but the left side stopped working. I got them for $70 4 years ago but now they're discontinued and they go for around $400 new which is crazy.
>>
>>54302168
If you think those are good you should give the DT770 a try.
>>
Budget
200, prefer less but willing to spend a little more
>Location
US
>Source
Computer mobo
Over ear
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
very
>Preferred tonal balance
warm
>Preferred music
I like a good mix of things, vocal and instrumental, electronicy stuff like black atlass, lemaitre, ben khan too.
>Past headphones
I really like my XS's sound for portability.

I want a nice set of in home ones to use while I study, etc.
Thinking about MA900s?
Currently have the HE350 massdrops ordered, but really want something now and I'm not sure on their quality either.

Thanks so much for any replies.
>>
>>54302619
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
HD 558
>>
>>54302619
could look for used philips fidelio X2s. they usually run $200 for a pair in decent condition.
>>
>>54285074
i have the hd598 :/
>>
What's the difference between 400i and 560?
I'm probably just shit at reading measurements but they look really similar. It also looks similar to HD800 measurements.
>>
Are there any issues with buying the XPT100s from nvx.com?

I will using a freight forwarder to get them to my country so shipping costs don't matter.
>>
>>54299173
>DT880 have too much treble and too little mids
>HD600 are more natural

Anon what he said makes perfect sense and is totally accurate. Get the cocks out of your mouth.
>>
>>54299225
Don't worry anon, that whole "If I can't hear it it doesn't exist" thing is just another audiophile meme. Like $3000 DAC's and $6000 amplifiers.
>>
>>54302168
>location
>source
>music
>preferred tonal balance

etc. etc. etc.

Read the fucking pastebin, it's there for everybody to use.
>>
>>54302956
>Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
>warm

Nigger what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>54302619
Was going to recommend sennheiser hd600 but somehow they're cheaper in Australia than America. Weird.

Check out the hd598 instead they're like $149 US on amazon.com
>>
>>54303967
Check that, the SE is 129. Get them instead.
>>
>>54303946
i'm sure that's enough info to give a simple suggestion
>>
>>54303999
It's enough information to tell him that a google search will show the headphone range he wants to buy is still in production under different numbers. But he came here which means he wants something different, so he should read the fucking pastebin like everyone with a working brain.
>>
>>54303984
Check that, the 558 is 98. Get them instead, they sound better.
>>
>>54304066
Which is it are they the same headphone or do they sound better?

Get your "facts" straight.
>>
>>54304523
Just got the 598se on eBay open box for $118. Brand new, and confirmed authentic. (also, they sound ridiculously gud compared to anything I've used under $150)
>>
http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier-measurements

>The Ragnarok's THD+N started off at around 0.05%, which is what I expected, but as time went on the distortion level rose, and within five minutes had reached 34%! This was true for both channels, for both balanced and unbalanced inputs, and for all three gain settings.

>What you're seeing is the consequence of the microprocessor-managed bias algorithm we're using. Unlike other amps that use microprocessor-based protection, Ragnarok uses its microprocessor for three things: continuous bias management; overcurrent protection; stepped attenuator and input switching control.

>As far as I know, #1 above is unique . . . the algorithm actually biases the output stage in real time—measuring about 30 times per second, and adjusting 3 times per second, with variable adjustment rates based on the slope of the readings. We did this to eliminate the DC servo, and its signal bleed back to the input stage. The bottom line of this craziness is that the algorithm is very good at distinguishing music signals from overcurrent conditions (and not de-biasing the output stage—confirmed by many hundreds of hours of observation). However, it is not good at distinguishing continuous tones from runaway bias—therefore, it continuously adjusts the bias down in the presence of a standard preconditioning test.

Kek'd my way through the measurements.
>>
>>54305044
kekkeroni

oogling over these measurements here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier

fkn sik
>>
What are the best lowbudget (my comfort zone is around around 30€) bluetooth headphones for my z3 compact?

My audiooutput (the thing where you stick your cable in) got fucked up and im too cheap to buy a new phone.

Yes, i know that im a pleb and have no knowledge about this topic whatsoever.
>>
>>54305727
Forgot to mention the fact that they should be in ear so that I can drive around with my bike more or less comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are gonna give me.
>>
>>54305727
Just by a cheapo DAP.
>>
Budget:
Im rather short on cash at the moment so anything above 45 € that isn't going to last long is a no go, i would prefer to stay in the 30€ range though, but up to 45 is okay.

I live in germany

Source:

My sony Xperia z3 with a broken audio output/plug, therefore bluetooth is the only option.

Preferred type of headphone:
Definitely in ear because im quite active

Open or closed :

I don't know what you mean by this
(yes im this much of a pleb)

Comfort level:
Needs to be wearable, and atleast comfy enough so i can drive my bike and lift in them.

>Preferred tonal balance
>implying

Preferred music:
I hear almost anything.

Past headphones:
Just cheap sony inears, they were okay.
>>
>>54305916
>>54305753
>>54305727
Those are all me, sorry that im shitting up your general.

>>54305808
Gonna look into that.
>>
>>54305916
E10.

>(why is this relevant? Just curious)
Different places, difference prices.
>>
>>54305932
>therefore bluetooth is the only option.
Shit, I missed that. All bluetooth sucks and, at a price like that, moreso.

Really just do >>54305808. Fiio M3, Sansa clip.
>>
Porta pros with Equalizer APO - does it get any better than this ??
>>
How much better are the HD600/650 compared to 558?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4gzose/science_and_objectivism/

Loving the subjectivist butthurt there. Ignoring that its >reddit, its a fun read. Only based ilkless makes any sense there.

>54305690
Why would anyone even take this over Hypex nCore if measured performance was the priority?

>far lower efficiency
>doesn't run as cool
>practically SOTA as measured performance goes from 20-20k
>>
>>54299158
this is wrong
>>
Why hd800 so quiet on my nexus 4? My beats studio pro loud as fuck and have better sound quality. I think all audiophiles are deaf morouns, that they are bying sennshit and not godbeats pro.
>>
>>54306699
How many meme words do you want?

They're objectively warmer.
>>
>>54307296
This is bait.

(and if it's by some will of Satan not bait, you just need an amp, friend. Cellphones can't drive higher end cans.)
>>
>>54307584
>Cellphones can't drive higher end cans.
Wrong. Only true to insensitive headphones. Whatever is considered "high end" has no bearing in anything here.

>>54306699
You can't quantify that.
>>
>>54307634
Yup, it was bait.
>>
File: Orpheus.jpg (65 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
Orpheus.jpg
65 KB, 670x400
DAC Fiio Taishan-D03K
Is this worth it?
Only 1 i can find in Romania EU for a nice price.

http://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

Help
>>
>>54307738
Wolfson are a highly regarded audio brand, and that box uses one of their chips. You might as well try it for $20 US. It's probably fine.

Bear in mind though, that DAC only does coax/optical, NOT USB.
>>
>>54308356
Oh...
Can i make it to work with USB ?
Or can you recommand a USB DAC for HE400S for -50$ (Pref to buy from Romania EU )
Thanks.
>>
File: 1457388922088.jpg (13 KB, 246x232) Image search: [Google]
1457388922088.jpg
13 KB, 246x232
He350....shit or not?
>>
>>54306699
Who told you they were better?
>>
>>54306699
just get something from audio-technica
it's superior brand
>>
>>54308664
Their open headphones around the same price have literally no bass
>>
>>54308812
I've read the opposite
>>
>>54308812
just use eq
>>
>>54308936
Or buy a better pair
>>
>>54308970
or you just boost the bass like a normal person
>>
>>54308473
I cannot sorry. You may be able to find a fiio product that does USB in the price range though it is unlikely.
>>
>>54308812
This guy is right. AD series has very light bass, would not recommend unless you've always thought your headphones would sound better with less bass.

>>54308936
>>54308664
>>54308554

These three are probably the same autistic guy.
>>
File: 1432646621785.jpg (241 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1432646621785.jpg
241 KB, 600x600
>>54310521
>These three are probably the same autistic guy.
ya think??
>>
>>54308473
Nigga please. Spend a bit more or you're going to end up with audible hiss whenever you turn your PC on.
>>
>>54310557
People don't know what's memes, what's "brand loyalty" and what's genuine advice. It's why they ask us what they should get. These people don't help, they actively hinder the process with their ragefits and autistic need to shit on anything they don't own.

Please, tell me how it is a bad thing that I pointed out their shitposting to people who probably don't know better. I'm sure you can, seeing as you made a point of

Never mind, frogposting. You got me, I was rused.
>>
>>54306699
Still waiting for someone to answer this. The HD600 are 100€ more expensive compared to he 598 and I don't know if they're worth the price difference.
>>
>>54308473
Cannot help you with Romanian prices and availability but . . .
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical/dp/B00AOH5JTQ
>>
>>54310496
>>54310591
Ok i might me able to jew for a DAC Fiio E10K i can find it in Romania for about 100$ is this worth with nice sound? Enuf for HE400S?
Or same more suggestions are welcome.
>>54310757
Thanks but i can't find it in romania.
>>
what are some cheap iems you guys can reccomend like xiaomi piston 3?
>>
>>54310810
Fill out the form
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.