[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why PC repair sucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: panda.gif (1 MB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
panda.gif
1 MB, 250x198
>Dude brings laptop
>"Man I Cant't login, i dont know if kids changed pass or wth"
>Keyboard is fucked up and half the letters don't work
>Now I make my "Seriously?" face
>Dude tells me password and I say well I'll try something, leave the laptop
>Later I connect USB keyboard, pass he told me doesn't work (now I'm pissed off)
>It doesn't have an optical drive
>My Windows 7 USB installer doesn't boot
>Third party application for password recovery doesn't boot
>Laptop is configured properly in Bios
>I re-make usb installers just in case
>Still doesn't work (does on my PC)

By now, I lost 2 hours, and is something I can't charge the dude much for because he is dirt poor, and still could not fix it, I really thought it would take me 5 minutes and was a win.

I do ocassional work by myself to earn a few bucks, but hell it pisses me off sometimes when nothing works, fuck PC repair, I can't wait to get a stable job at something else and tell to go fuck themselfs at all the people that bring me completely broken shit.

Or even worse when I go to someone's house and they have a socket A Sempron with 256MB of RAM and want you to fix some problem, and the piece of shit takes literally 8 minutes to open the browser and freezes all the time meanwhile they are standing next to you with an impatient attitude.

FUCK. THIS. JOB.

Pic related is what I want to do in this situations.
>>
>>54160508
You should be thankful for having a job.
>>
No problem m8
you just need to get better at your job
You should have just connected that hdd to your laptop and ripped the password.
>>
>>54160508
Isn't that the whole catch with troubleshooting?

You have different routine protocols you follow for a variety of problems working with the most likely solution to least likely, sometimes it's quick and other times it's long but on average you're good.

Get over it, faggot.
>>
>>54160588
this

OP try switching to a job flipping burgers and come back
>>
>>54160588
>>54160589
>>54160645

But if it was my profession I would not care, is not regular work so I don't make a decent profit and at the same time I spend too much time on something that should be simple and I really get angry.

>You should have just connected that hdd to your laptop and ripped the password

I know I can do that shit, connect his HDD to my PC, i have to open the laptop, open my PC, disconnect one of my HDDs cause I don't have extra SATA cables, then do the whole process to recover the pass with some tool, then put everything back where it was, before I know it I wasted 5 hours.

If I charge the dude more than 20 bucks for a pass recovery he is gonna make trouble, its some dirt poor construction worker that is gonna be like "For that simple thing you charge me this much?", at least if I was an employee someone else would deal with them, and I would only do the repairs, but on the scale I do it it ain't worth it, but I need a few bucks meanwhile I study and try to get something else.
>>
>>54160751
I would take that anyday, I'll make more money and you just have to make burguers, endurable stuff meanwhile I study.
>>
>>54160589
This. You should have a SATA to USB cable on hand. Then mount it from Hiren's Boot or what have you, and remove the password.

Also, I have family members that let their kids pull all the keys off their computer.

WHY
>>
I got one for you;
>Lady claims that the radiation her PC gives off make her hands numb and she gets cramps
>Cant use New PCs due to this, uses a Ancient PowerBook G4
>Doesn't like the screen though (radiation), so has it connected to a Different monitor with a CCFL backlight
>Doesn't leave house or use cell phones so she hasn't talked to her family in years
>Wants to skype with them to tell them about new baby
>Needs new PC with webcam
>Husband who is an 'engineer' builds her a Faraday cage for PC (which is still plugged into wall outlet)
>She calls me for help as every new PC makes her 'react' even in new Cage
>>
>>54160951
>By the point she calls me she's just finished wrapping her PC in Aluminum foil, wonders why she still 'reacts' to it
>I ask if she's been to a doctor, checked for electro-magnetic waves or even checked for radiation
>"Doctor's dont know whats wrong with me"
>Either way she asks for a Computer, comparable to a Powerbook G4, but can run skype and has a screen that doesn't effect her
>Trying to be nice I recommend a small Intel PC and tell her to hook it up to her existing Monitor that she doesn't get waves from
>>
> inbred idiot calls me about his new latop "looking different"
>ask him where he got it and what OS he is running the moron doesn't know
>go over POS shit gateway from years ago running ubuntu (guess he bought it second hand)
>umm duurr plod make same as old one
>install Windows 7 and set up user account and password he is happy
> one week later calls me again "you broke my laptop" Lol ok
>turn out he was trying to get photos off his digital camera and changed the file path in destination and blamed me for them not being in the pictures folder
>try to explain that there is in fact more folder than docs, pics, dl etc
>calls me again yesterday hurr durr new laptop make like other one
>not gonna do it
>>
>>54161023
Kek sounds like a winner
>>
>>54161023
>She ends up with the PC and she likes it, but the power LED affects her so asks if I can remove it
>"Don't just cover it up, because ill know, I can feel it"
>Immediately cover LED with Tape and claim I removed it
>She's been happy ever since
She still calls and asks for things at least once a week. She wanted a new CCFL Monitor, a LED-less Webcam, she's also asked If i could remove LEDs from a LED backlit monitor, and make her computer worse so that it doesn't give off as much radiation.

It's honestly pretty fun talking to her. Recently She bought a Portable DVD player because a friend said the screen wasn't LED backlit, after I told her it was, she immediately tossed it as she started to feel waves. It's obviously a mental thing, anything she thinks gives off radiation is painful, anything she thinks is safe is safe, regardless of how much emf or radiation it actually gives off.
>>
File: 454929-manny2.jpg (23 KB, 293x320) Image search: [Google]
454929-manny2.jpg
23 KB, 293x320
>>54160951
>>54161023
>>54161192

>mfw reading this
>mfw I actually can believe this
>>
>>54160751
Burger flipper doesn't have to deal with customer drama and fucking retarded customers.
>>
>>54161267
What?
Yes they do.
>>
>>54161325
Aren't the people that hand the food and handle the money not the same than the ones cooking?
>>
File: 1440634622256.jpg (32 KB, 312x342) Image search: [Google]
1440634622256.jpg
32 KB, 312x342
>>54161192
if they have money you should upcharge them a shit ton for
"EMF" free hardware and modifications.
Sounds like a nut case already so you might be able to cash out.

>pic marginally related
>>
>>54161364
You get switched around a lot. Its not flip burgers and thats it. Fast food customers are the worst type of people. Hell even your coworkers tend to be loud angry blacks. At least in the city. My friend got food thrown in his face by a customer who wasnt happy with it last year.
>>
>>54160508
>woman complains that her ipad is really slow
>she gives it to me and asks if I can speed it up
>I say "ok"
>It's a chink tablet that literally looks nothing like an ipad
>10 inch screen that's 240p
>I install facebook lite and adw 1.3.3.5
>I charge her $35
>>
>>54160508
Man child.
>>
Just wipe the password you stupid fuck
>>
>>54160588
This.

Plus I work in pc repair and I get free shit all the time. Only my case and psu in my build are new, the rest is shit I've collected from customers who've upgraded and left their old shit behind.

>i7 870 clocked at 4.1ghz
>8GB ddr3 1333mhz
>gtx 680
>240GB mx100
>3x 1tb in raid 0

And my baytrail transformer for uni, and my old turionx2 laptop for multimedia.

I fucking love this job, it's fun, pay isn't bad, and I get a lot of free shit.
>>
>>54160764
Why would that take you 5 hrs? are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: 846.jpg (5 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
846.jpg
5 KB, 165x115
>>54162047
>1st gen i7
i still use one of these.
>>
>>54162222
Still handles every game with ease, I see no reason to upgrade yet. It's a beast.
>>
I play the repair game from time to time. In burger land, I charge $85/hr in shop, $135/hr on site. Do mostly business work. Spend a lot of time doing SBS recovery. I usually quote an hour or two more than it ends up taking, just in case full retard.

Had one client running server 2003 / SQL 2005 on a dual Xeon 2.2 w/ 4gb ram, and 3 146 scsi in raid 5. The alarm went off for a failed drive, and they shut the alarm off, but never replaced the drive. 2 years later, another drive is failing. Rather, it failed, but still is recognized by the scsi adapter. They don't understand why their SQL database isn't working.

They ordered a forced array rebuild after I told them it would fail and I would charge labor anyway, but signed a release. 6 hours into the rebuild, it failed. In the end, they had to send the drives out for data recovery. $7500 later, they had their 200mb database back.

They are still refusing to do backups to a usb drive because they don't want to buy drives. Guess they'd rather do another data recovery...
>>
>>54162775
Were they Middle Eastern?
>>
>>54161192
You should tell her humans have radioactive potassium in their bodies and see if she tries to shield or kill herself.
>>
>>54162859
Surprisingly no. Might have been Jewish though.
>>
>>54162953
Even better, tell her that hair can act as an antenna for electromagnetic radiation and that it's amplifying her sickness. Use a lot of jargon and maybe she'll shave her head.
>>
>>54160508
Did you make sure that BIOS supports USB booting?

You could have done the (fairly elaborate) trick of creating two partitions, and copying the Windows 7 ISO to one of them as a boot disk. Provided you have a means of connect the laptop hard drive to your desktop computer.

Also could have run one of several cracking tools on the original install.
>>
>>54160764
>I know I can do that shit, connect his HDD to my PC, i have to open the laptop, open my PC, disconnect one of my HDDs cause I don't have extra SATA cables, then do the whole process to recover the pass with some tool, then put everything back where it was, before I know it I wasted 5 hours.

I could do that whole process in 20 minutes. git gud.

Also install hot swap bays.
>>
>>54160508
It doesn't, you suck.
>>
>>54160508
>yank hard drive
>slap into usb to sata connector. Doesn't even need external power since it's a 2.5"
>load up bdp
>clear password
>call it a day
It's been 10 minutes
>>
>>54160751
I work fast food and I'd probably like doing PC repair. I doubt any shops around here could offer me full-time though, which unfortunately I can't afford anything less.
>>
dock the drive externally to another PC and swap copy cmd.exe to sethc.exe and/or utilman.exe. make a backup copy first. Then at login screen you can either use sticky keys (sethc.exe) or tap the ease of access button and open an elevated command prompt. from there you can change the password using net user.
>>
>>54164274
My family owns a pc repair shop. We're not even making enough to hire someone part time, but I honestly wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Most of our customers are pretty good with us and I've always loved working with computers
>>
>>54161267
>Burger flipper doesn't have to deal with customer drama and fucking retarded customers.

Nigga... I've worked at Burger Kings back when I was around 18. Anyone working at fast food has it much worse than tech support.
>>
>>54160508

You're welcome to piss and moan about how horrible it is to have a paying position plenty of people would happily take off your hands but you really ought to ditch the attitude, it's unbecoming of an adult.
>>
>>54160951
Buy her a tachyon disc for her pc. It does weird shit like reversing the magnetic current running through the machine, reducing radiation output.

>inb4 bullshit
It actually does work to an extent
>>
>aunt wants me to install a new hard drive
>mom's visiting her so I ask her to take a photo of it to see if it's actually a hard drive
>she once got me to install a CD drive then asked me to install windows on it, so naturally I'm hesitant to do anything now

>she takes a photo of the fucking tower
thanks mom
>>
Tech support in general is ass, the less I work with a must mer the better
>>
>>54160508
>Remove hard drive
>Slap usb adaptor or inside another PC
>Boot into the third party tool since you're retarded and can't even into windows cmd
>Change password.
>Slap hard drive back on laptop
>?????

How hard is it?
Are you that incompetent OP?

There's 300000 solutions to this problem and yet you seem obsessed with using the Clients hardware to solve it.
Are you inept at this?
>>
>>54161192
yfw she discovers you lied to her about the LED and sues you for causing her cancer.
>>
>>54161192
Just tell her electricity itself emits massive electromagnetic radiation and that if she doesn't move into a cave with caked with metals she will never be rid of radiation.
And don't forget to tell her about how the sun irradiates bad Gamma and IR radiations.
>>
>>54160588
>>54160751
>It doesn't matter how shit your job is, at least you're not living in North Korea XD
>>
File: 1389110485305.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1389110485305.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>54160508
you hate it because you suck, I hate it because people suck.
just this morning a customer came in and said:
>"I upgraded my iphone storage to 50GB but the software update still says I don't have enough space"

try to explain to her what the difference in her hardware and icloud storage is but I see that she already has the "this is already too complicated for me so I'm not really listening. just make it work cause it's your job kthxbye -look" on her face

if you think you're a patient person, try to work in any customer support job and I swear you'll break on your first day. ENDLESS RAGE DWELLS WITHIN ME.
>>
>>54164593
Not necessary, people know instantly that customer support is shit if they have family members, specially parents, doing the rage inducing shit to you by asking stupid questions.
>>
>>54163096
>what is sata to usb

retard detected
>>
>>54164462
sorry, but there's nothing with the word Tachyon in it thats actually legit
>>
>>54164631
yeah family is bad but the attitude of people changes drastically if they pay you.
in their head you're obliged to magically fix their problems even if it isn't possible. the bitch I wrote about went into a tantrum because she wanted more space and she payed for it and now I told her she couldn't have it. it was like a child that ran out of candy.

I'm just doing this on the side to finance my studies but I guess once I'm done I'll have to use the money to get that stomach ulcer removed that is probably growing inside me now.
>>
>>54163765
bdp?
>>
>>54160764
Konboot.
>>
File: B1514CE47.gif (1017 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
B1514CE47.gif
1017 KB, 295x221
>>54161963
You try getting a job in thid third world dumpster faggot.

>>54162047

How to get the "PC repair job" that I should be so thankful for: Make a sign that reads "I make PC repairs", put it in your front window.

Success, you'll get something dropped now and then.

Also people only bring me literal garbage, I snatch a Pentium 4 once in a while, not a fucking i7, where the fuck to do u live, wonderland? Is the 1st world that good?

>>54162152

I DONT HAVE A WORKSHOP NOR WORK ON ONE, EVERYTHING IS A COMPLICATION, I DONT HAVE TOOLS.

>>54162775
I'm not in the bussiness world, and if I don't charge considerable less than a PC Repair store, why would they come to me? Not good pay, not even regular work.

>>54163096

IT IS. CASUAL. WORK.

I. LACK. TOOLS.

I BARELY HAVE ANY SPACE.

>>54163351
Great reading skills, m8.

You must be 18 to post here.

>>54163765
>usb to sata connector

Don't have that.

>>54164274
In a workshop yes, by yourself and mostly for poor costumers, no.

>>54164405
IS NOT TECH SUPPORT, DO YOU EVEN FUCKING READ?

Read the whole fucking thread again.

>>54164455
Is not a paying position, literally anyone can put a sign on their front door on their poor neighborhood saying "PC Repairs", that you have to charge very little for and are a pain in the ass.

I DONT HAVE A JOB IN TECH SUPPORT.

>>54164523
I came back at home at fucking 23:00 and tired and wanted to do it the easiest/quickest way possible, I know how to solve it the other way, I am complaining that the easiest way didn't work when it should have, if I could have booted the fucking Windows installer from USB I would have recovered from the command line.

If you know the exact problem is quick, the problem is when out of nowhere 10 more problems that you weren't even supposed to fix in the first place come up and you start trying different stuff. Just making a Win7 USB image with USB 2.0 takes +20 minutes, time flies.

>>54164593
Read the entire thread again.
>>
>>54160588
>OH MY GOD Children in Africa are STARVING and you dare complain about your problems!
>>
>>54164494
I swear at least half of the population think a hard drive is the tower itself.
>>
>>54167488
If you don't even have tools or workspace to fix shit at home then stop trying to freelance as tech support, you tard
>>
>>54164494
Mums have no obligation whatsoever to know anything about this. You should have explained better instead of saying just "hard drive" and expecting her to know what it is.
>>
>>54168313
No, I need the money, when I get another job at anything I will stop.
>>
>>54164298
My favorite trick, though I usually just boot a linux liveusb to do the swap.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.