[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should you switch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
File: ubuntu-16.04.jpg (44 KB, 1029x570) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-16.04.jpg
44 KB, 1029x570
Currently running arch, but this is looking tempting, what kind of changes can I expect? Is it worth it? Pros/Cons over arch? Ubuntu has been looking pretty slick lately.
>>
>>54120148
I'm personally switching to Ubuntu 16.04 from Arch because although I like the AUR compared to Ubuntu's annoying PPA system, updating software from the AUR takes too long when I have to keep compiling it.

Software from Arch's official repos are faster to install compared to Ubuntu though.
>>
>>54120178
any other reasons you want to make the switch?
>>
There is alot more community support from Ubuntu, if you have a problem people don't expect you to know how to fix it yourself. They will guide you step by step most of the time to solve a problem.
>>
>>54120148
is it out now? if so I'm going to put in a new harddrive and test it on my laptop for a month -- If I like it I'll install on my SSD
>>
>>54120219
>inb4 babby OS
this is nice tho
>>54120255
21st
>>
>>54120148
Good riddance, we don't need fucking retards in the arch community.
>>
>>54120325
>being so stupid that you use arch instead of gentoo
lol
>>
>>54120325
which begs the question why you're still a part of it
>>
File: 1401610627710.jpg (141 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1401610627710.jpg
141 KB, 640x480
>>54120381
>begs the question
Nice English, pajeet
>>
>>54120470
Native English speaker here. You're the idiot, Pajeet, "begs the question" is a common turn of phrase
>>
I switched to it from fedora, and i liked it.
It still has problems like aptitude being shit, PPA's fucking the system over time etc. but its really stable for me and thats all i ask for.
>>
>>54120561
explain to me PPAs like I'm a retard
>implying I'm not already
>>
File: mpv ppa.png (119 KB, 1471x699) Image search: [Google]
mpv ppa.png
119 KB, 1471x699
>>54120581
PPAs are user created software repositories for Ubuntu.

Well one of the problems with PPAs is that when you update your Ubuntu to the latest release the PPA might not work anymore because the PPA maintainer doesn't maintain software for your version of Ubuntu.

For example this PPA for mpv only has mpv available for trusty (14.04) and xenial (16.04). If you update Ubuntu trusty to wily (15.10) the PPA won't work anymore.
>>
Snappy is enough reason.
>>
There is literally no reason to run any other OS than Ubuntu, unless you're a faggit hipster or your computer is from the 90s.
>>
File: 2015-04-30-21.02.05.jpg (367 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-30-21.02.05.jpg
367 KB, 1280x960
>>54120470

So anyone you disagree with is a Pajeet now?

Arch faggots are truly the CANCER of the Linux community
>>
>>54120637
>if you dont rice your rice hard enough somewhere between manual update 1000,929234 and 100,1827263 you will miss an obscure change in spaghetti resulting in 11010292 known bugs/issues/wasted hours of productivity
this is why we are a mint household now go outside and play.
>>
>>54120769
>>54120525
"begs the question" does not mean what >>54120381 thinks it does. and yes I know I'm being pedantic, if that offends you on /g/ of all places you should fuck off back to Rebbit
>>
>>54120804
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>54120841
but it does beg the question of why you're still a retard
>>
Nice job guys you derailed this thread into a Arch circle jerk, your OS is shit just accept it.
>>
File: WM8P82e.png (407 KB, 492x611) Image search: [Google]
WM8P82e.png
407 KB, 492x611
>>54120470
>>
>>54120219
>>54120274
>people say Arch has the best documentation
>even though their guides for beginners are complete shit and assume you're already familiar with Linux

The exact reason I still use Ubuntu and derivatives over Arch. I'd consider Debian if I didn't need to download a special ISO with firmware for my wireless card included, and I'd consider Fedora if it actually had proper multimedia support.
>>
>>54120942
Or you can learn to just read it. I learned using Linux with Arch and it is completely understandable if you read it carefully. And the best thing was the documentation made sure I knew what I did and why and it wasn't a couple of magical commands which I didn't understand and somehow fixed my problems.

>But I don't understand it

Did I hear your schoolbus honk just now?
>>
>>54120942
>I'd consider Fedora if it actually had proper multimedia support.

What? Just download the nonfree codecs
>>
Will ubuntu 16 be more lightweight? also will it allow you to pick a DE during install?
>>
>>54121061
Last I checked, I needed to have RPMFusion for that. Which means I have to wait at least a week before getting support for my release, unless I want to take my chances mixmatching shit from the Rawhide repo.

>>54121032
Have you ever considered that using more simple terminology and more detailed breakdowns in something titled a "beginner's guide" isn't a bad thing?

Because last time I followed the beginner's guide for Arch, I wound up with a broken X install. Doing the same shit with an Ubuntu Minimal, Debian Netinstall, and even Fedora Netinstall iso all gave me working systems despite the install process being damn near identical.
>>
>>54121117
Are you sure you read the beginners guide and not the install guide? The beginners guide does a good job of explaining what you are doing wile the install guide is just a quick reference to give you the commands and steps that you might have forgotten. It really isn't difficult at all if you give it a bit of your time.
>>
File: 1410506035562.png (23 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
1410506035562.png
23 KB, 383x400
>>54121117
>Because last time I followed the beginner's guide for Arch, I wound up with a broken X install.

Sounds like you did it right
>>
>>54121250
Honestly setting up x is simple as hell if you're able to use Linux decently. Thanks for shitpost.

>Kill yourself
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 245x205) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 245x205
>>54121311
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>54121325
>>54121250
>>54120899
Why is this autist keep posting these shits ?
We understood, you're not able to use Arch, not a reason to fill this board with this shit
>>
>>54121311

>quoting nothing

Newfag detected
>>
>>54121376

[[[TRIGGEEEEERRED]]]
>>
>>54121376
>arch is shitty
>I no longer feel superior for using it
>better claim no one else can use it

Every time.
>>
>>54120178
> software installs faster on Arch

Is this meem from the future?
>>
>>54121401
you litterally always respond the same thing, so you are the same guy in every threads ?
Holy shit, don't you have something to do with your life ?

>>54121446
what are you talking about ?
>>
File: reviewbrah_trash.gif (2 MB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
reviewbrah_trash.gif
2 MB, 350x263
The Arch "community" is the most insufferable in the linux world and that's really saying something. It's filled with poorly socialized teenagers with too much time on their hands. I would be ashamed to admit I use arch to anyone whose opinion is worth having. I don't think you need any other reason to switch.
>>
>>54121641
Who the hell cares about the community ?

also
>too much time on their hands
>>
File: 20.jpg (123 KB, 1272x889) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
123 KB, 1272x889
>>54121463
>are the same guy in every threads ?

Do all Arch users suffer from paranoid delusions and a persecution complex?

Pic highly related
>>
Long time Fedora user here, about to make the switch to Ubuntu 16.04. I honestly like unity more than gnome, and I liked gnome when almost no one else did.

I'm switching over for apt-get, unity, better performance(judging based on benchmarks at phoronix), better power management, and easy access to non free drivers.

I really wanted to stay with Fedora because I'm extremely familiar with the whole redhat family, but I feel like it doesn't come close at all to the polish of Ubuntu, now days at least
>>
>>54121782

they are the furfags of the gahnoo/loonix community. that's why they are hated outside their own circles.
>>
>>54121641

No, not its not, you're talking teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

People of all ages use Arch, theres nothing difficult about it, and you can use various softwares to make installation and setup easier.

Source: used Arch for nearly 4 years.
>>
>>54120942
You can install Debian via ethernet, then add non-free repos and install your wireless driver.
And if you don't have an Ethernet port on your computer, I pity you but there's a way to load it from a usb device during installation.
Just read the fucking documentation.
>>
>>54122137
>you can install Debian via ethernet

Yeah let me just drill some 1/2" or so holes in the floor or run some cables through the entire house for somebody to trip on! Oh, just move my computer? Yeah okay, let me carry my tower, monitor, mech keyboard, and mouse all upstairs just so I can fucking install Debian install of Ubuntu (which does nothing for me but adding a few extra steps to get my system configured to a point I'm comfortable with).

Have you ever considered that Ethernet is not always a plausible or practical option, especially when the return on the time and labor investment is fucking NOTHING.
>>
>>54120148
>Currently running arch, but this is looking tempting, what kind of changes can I expect? Is it worth it? Pros/Cons over arch? Ubuntu has been looking pretty slick lately.

>lately

Lately? The icond, themes, colors and gradients haven't changed in, what, almost 10 years?
>>
>>54120942
sounds like you should consider windows
>>
>>54122219
jfc i installed netinst vanilla, no wifi drivers, without network at all, loaded .debs (easily downloadable from the web based debian package browser) onto a flash drive afterwards, copied them to the loonix, dpkg -i *.deb, then once i had network finished what netinst couldn't install b/c no network at install time with aptitude -install ~prequired ~pimportant ~pstandard

it's not that fucking hard retard
>>
>>54123885
i'll even make it easier for your spectrum ass.

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages
>>
>>54120470
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/beg-the-question
>If a statement or situation begs the question, it causes you to ask a particular question: Spending the summer travelling around India is a great idea, but it does beg the question of how we can afford it. To discuss the company's future begs the question of whether it has a future.

>to talk about something as if it were true, even though it may not be

Probably shouldn't attempt to fix anyone's English when your grasp of the language is comparable to that of your average Mexican.
>>
>>54123885
>>54123948
Where did I say it was difficult? Nowhere. What I'm saying is that you have to put in far more effort than an equivalent Ubuntu Minimal install to get what is effectively the same result.

By installing Debian, I am literally spending more time to get to the same effective end-point.

>for your spectrum ass

Says the dude throwing an autistic shitfit because I said that Debian netinstall takes more time to install and configure than a near identical system installed via Ubuntu Minimal.

>>54123747
If I'm picking Ubuntu, it's because Windows either doesn't work out of the box on the system (whether it be because of age, needing to connect to the internet to install wireless drivers just like Debian), or because I don't want Windows in use on that system but still want things to just work out of the box (perhaps because I'm setting it up for a family member).
>>
>>54121099
You always had and will always have Ubuntu minimal iso for that...
>>
>>54123984
>far more effort
literally ten more minutes to download some packages manually from their website friemd
>autistic shitfit
>goes on about drilling holes and moving shit around his house when
>>54122137
literally said the same thing as me but i gave more detail to help you
0/10 get fucked
>>
>>54124099
But you've failed to explain to me why the fuck I should bother going through "literally 10 minutes" of effort I wouldn't have to put in otherwise.

What benefit do I get from using Debian Netinst compared to Ubuntu Minimal? What actual advantage is there? You can tell me it's easy all you want, but in the end it's still a more involved process for, as far as I can tell, nothing in return. My system won't magically run faster. APT won't magically work better on Debian than it does on Ubuntu. I can't see a single fucking reason and you're completely failing to provide any.
>>
>>54124170
ok, sorry for being a dick but this is 4chan so you should expect salt
why not just get the flash drive with the packages ready while netinst is installing the horribly slim base system?
and yeah, apt won't run faster but your system will because you don't have Canonical installing all its' shitware. if you prepare the flash drive while netinst is installing you put in a little more effort, yeah, but the overall time-to-ready is about the same when you take into account Ubuntu will be installing more packages then Debian (i'm not just talking about wifi tools, wpa_supplicant, firmware, and wicd either)

why is a matter of taste really, i just don't like the Ubuntu bloat, and Debian gives you more of a respect for the command line. by all means start with Ubuntu if you can't stand running a few commands, but give Debian a try once you're comfortable with basic admin commands from the shell
>>
>>54120841
>calls someone out based upon their grammar
>tells someone else to go back to rebbit
Take your'e own advice nigger.
>>
>>54121463
I'm on arch. I'm thinking of leaving it just because the community is so terrible. Literally the worst of human scum.
>>
>>54126749
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
>>54126785
100% correct
>>
when is it coming out?
>>
>>54128152
Depends on your timezone baka, but 21 April is the official date.
You can just download the beta now.
>>
>>54128210
im not implying anything, just asking
>>
>>54120381
I think you mean 'raises the question.'
>>
>>54120875
'Begs the question' means 'avoids the question.' Your use here seems to fit.
>>
>>54123975
This is a descriptivist definition, based on use. The understood meaning, until recently, was 'to avoid the question.'

http://begthequestion.info/
>>
>>54120804
lol, gentoo boi ;)
>>
File: 1459857663809.png (578 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1459857663809.png
578 KB, 1366x768
>>54120148
It's pretty great.
Installed it on my mom's laptop a week ago and it felt quite polished.
I'll be updating my Gentoo install to the new version of Unity pretty soon too.
>>
>>54121976
don't hate on acbn gayboy
>>
>>54121117
I installed Arch when I was 15. If the install doesn't work, just say Arch is rubbish and doesn't work, but saying that you you can't understand the docs mean that 15 year old me has better comprehension than you do now.
>>
Anyway to move window close/minimise/maximise controls in unity to the right edge of the window?

Also anyway to make Unity 7 flattish like >>54131933 in this anon's screenshot on default Ubuntu?

Mir/Unity 8 is still unstable from what I hear.
>>
>>54120804
what does your bull run? I bet its debian
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.