[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1202893227024.gif (551 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1202893227024.gif
551 KB, 200x200
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Requesting purchase advice:
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Link to old thread: >>54095363
>>
File: 1460332835044.jpg (22 KB, 354x480) Image search: [Google]
1460332835044.jpg
22 KB, 354x480
>Budget
$50-100
>Location
USA
>Source
phone
>Preferred type of headphone
Earbuds
>Comfort level
Fairly comfy, suitable for consecutive hours of use
>Preferred tonal balance
Slightly bassy, a bit more so than a pair of Shure SE215s
>Preferred music
Varies widely
>Past headphones
Shure SE215, Soundmagic E10
>>
will the vmod work on these Superlux HD668B
>>
>>54111923
668 has male 3.5mm, the cable it comes with is female 3.5mm to male 3.5mm.

If you could find a small female to female 3.5mm adapter it could work.

The vmoda has a male 3.5mm that clips into the headphone's 3.5mm female port. The other side is a 4 pole 3.5mm but they give you an adapter with (4pole 3.5mm female split into two 3 pole 3.5mm male one for mic one for Headphones which go into your PC)
>>
Same anon as >>54111216
>see pair of headphones everyone says is pretty good
>look at canadian retailer, twice the price of american retailer
What the actual fuck
>>
>>54111923
>>54111979
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/201116668238?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

there
>>
>>54108607
Still need an answer.
>>
File: 1458261641714.jpg (253 KB, 1065x791) Image search: [Google]
1458261641714.jpg
253 KB, 1065x791
>Budget
200-300
>Location
canada
>Source
computer
gaming headphone
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
absolutely essential that its as comfy as possible
>Preferred tonal balance

>Preferred music
i listen to anything really, but its really just for gaming
>Past headphones
turtlebeach earforce px21

im scared to buy a gimmicky gaming headphone but I honestly am ignorant towards anything regarding headphones. Also I have a desk mic so headset isnt required
>>
>>54112117
>gaming headphone
What is the difference between "gaming headphones" and regular headphones other than marketing as "gaming?"
>>
>>54112147

I am honestly ignorant and if that offended someone then I'm sorry. I actually meant to type full-sized
>>
>>54112147
Fancy LEDs and half-executed "surround sound" that doesn't work
>>
>>54112117
Try Beyer dynamic DT770 600 ohm, it will require an amp.
>>
File: Canada_flag.jpg (310 KB, 3716x1900) Image search: [Google]
Canada_flag.jpg
310 KB, 3716x1900
>>54112164
>>
>>54111871
Should I just buy another pair of Soundmagic E10s lads
>>
>>54111993
Also, why the fuck does nobody ever properly advertise whether or not they have detachable audio cables? I've just given up and I'm just digging through descriptions/screenshots manually
>>
>>54112164
At least you know enough to know you don't know enough. $200-300 closed headphones. Basically for gaming. You'll want good low end without sacrificing tonal balance.

NAD VISO HP50

Any particular reason you want closed? It doesn't look like you plan on using these except in front of your desktop.
>>
>>54111871
If you can pry another Jackson from your wallet take a look at the RHA MA750.
>>
What's everyones general opinion on buying used headphones? I'm not ready to cough up more than $100 for a pair.
>>
>>54112269
Wipe em down, maybe get new pads, and otherwise don't give a fuck. Hell, a ton of the best headphones ever made can only be gotten used.
>>
>>54112206

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'd recommend moving up to the Soundmagic e80, but the bass isn't accentuated (it's there and good, but not at the front).

Otherwise, I dunno, ATH-IM50 at that price range?
>>
>>54112269
Not a bad choice if you can replace the earpads/tips or if they're leather/pleather and you can clean them.
>>
>>54112285
ATH-IM50 seems to fit all of my criteria as well as being on the lower end of my budget
Thanks

>>54112254
If I ever feel like parting with a few more shekels when I'm in need of a new pair of headphones, I'll look into those
>>
>>54112178
On second thought have a look at the 80 ohm vesion if you'll be using onboard audio. Those don't need an amp.

I don't know of other closed headphones that would be good for gaming. 770s apparently have decent soundstage for pin pointing where shots are coming from and a fair amount of bass for explosions and what have you.

Open back would offer much better alternatives for the price, but you must have your reasons.
>>
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition
Buy or no? I use headphones on the bus, so I don't think it's worth getting an open-back one
>>
>>54112498
You have to wait a couple of weeks before it ships and the K702 is only a few bucks more which you can get now.
>>
>Budget
$50
>Location
US
>Source
Phone
Earbuds
>Open or closed
Open preferably
>Comfort level
Fairly comfy
>Preferred music
Rap and some electronic
>Past headphones
Soundmagic e10
>>
>>54111829
$90 max

Amazon, Newegg, whatever, I'm not picky, just no eBay or gay shit like that

In-ear

Closed obv

Eh, comfort hasn't been a problem, they all feel ok to me.

I like my basses to be nice and heavy, and I absolutely fucking hate the type of treble that becomes really shrill and painful in stuff like snare drum hits.

Rap and tropical house mostly, some soft rock, even trance(?) like Tycho. Kinda weird taste

This is what's really important to me. I need something that's seriously fucking durable. I go through earphones so fast it's ridiculous. Klipsch r6is were fucked in like 4 months, soundmagic e10s worked for about 5 months, had a ksullcandy phase where I went through like 4 of the $20 dollar ones.

TLDR: looking for durable, bass earphones for $90 or less.
>>
>>54113238
Oh I'm fucking retarded, source is phone. Also location is US
>>
> Budget:
around 200 euros

> Location:
Denmark

> Preferred type of headphone:
on-ear/over-ear, closed

> Comfort:
gonna be wearing these for around 3 hours a day

> Tonal balance:
i like my dt 880's

> Preferred music:
classical, jazz, indie, folk, /mu/ shit

> Past headphones:
i’ve owned the hd 25's earlier, but i returned them

I can get a pair of beyerdynamic t50p for cheap, should i just go for these? im gonna be using these out of my smartphone
>>
/hpg/ I'm looking to buy stax sr-2170. Source is a yamaha ur22mkii and I mostly listen to blues/rock/heavy metal with a little bit of jazz and folk and the occasional classical or acoustic album.

Price is about $500 US. Anyone here heard them and can tell me if they're worth the money or if I'm better off saving for something like the L700 and sr-m353x?

Thanks.
>>
>>54113373
You would be better off with their full sized closed models

DT770
DT100
DT150
DT250

I've only owned the dt150 but they were wonderful cans. Tight impactful bass, natural mids and detailed highs. The dt250 look to have even better bass response according to graphs and reviews, so they would be my recommendation. Try and get the 250ohm version from amazon germany, they're only 167.48 euro from there.
>>
>>54113424
For clarity the 2170 is the srm-252s driver and SR-207 headphones.
>>
>>54113441
ive should've included this in the OP, but i really want some very portable cans, headphones that are easy to carry around
>>
>>54113424
Get a used SR-007 for the price of an L700. Better phone all around. Then just get whatever cheap stax amp you can until you can build a KG amp or get a 717/727 if you're sticking to stax.

If you want a lambda, grab a used base system for $200-$250ish off yahoo japan. That's half the price of new most places. Or just get the lamba by itself. You'll have way more models to choose from that way. Bonus, you can usually find a decent amp there cheap too.

I wouldn't buy a new one in any case. The new model base system with the L300 should be coming out in just a couple months. It's like paying full sticker for last years cars on a dealer lot right before the new crop comes in.
>>
>>54113458
Well you did say over ear.

How portable are we talking? If you want fashion cans then just pick whatever you think looks best and doesn't make you want to neck yourself.

Otherwise:
MSR7
Momentum
NAD HP50
>>
>headphones
>good
*tips fedora*
>>
>>54113467
You can already get L300 by themselves or the srs-3170 but they're twice the price of the srs-2170 or almost the same cost for just the headphones.

I'm looking on yahoo japan now and can't see any better prices or even second hand ones. Except for the L700 which are about 1500 AU there instead of 1800-1900.
>>
Has anyone tried to EQ the Nighthawk? Audioquest's reputation notwithstanding, measurements seem to indicate a great headphone that is a bass shelf and some minor tweaks from being HD650 with more extension and lower distortion.
>>
>>54113548
Never mind ignore me I'm fucking retarded I was looking at yahoo shopping not yahoo auctions.
>>
>>54113548
>>54113638

Right now I see a rare stax SRM-T1W for $400ish ending in about 6 hours, a base system for $110 that's ending in 5 days, SRM-3 for $100BIN, SR-303 $110BIN, SRA-3S for $20 ending in 1 day (would have to mod to probias though, but only about $10 in parts), SRS-3030 big set with amp at $380 ending in about 6 hours, SRM-1 MkII w/SR-303 for $330

Lots to choose from. If you wanted, right this second you could have an SR-303 and an SRM-3 for $200. SRM-3 is good for lambdas. It's basically the modern base amp but with a proper regulated power supply instead of the wall wart. Not enough juice to drive the omegas at their best though. I've never heard the 303 lambda. Can't say what it sounds like.
>>
>>54113686
Now I'm looking at the 323s for a chunk more but apparently it's close to their top end amps but decently cheaper?

I don't want to spend TOO much, but if spending now will save my buying a second amp in a few months I'm willing to do it.
>>
>>54113722
There's chinkmade KGST for $100. Looks pretty well made. Good caps and Dale resistors. I would have liked more shielding on the wires and some heavier terminals but definitely a bargain if it works as advertised. Get that if you want the best out of the lot. Upgrade the internals a bit later and you may never want another amp.
>>
>>54113766
>Upgrade the internals a bit later and you may never want another amp.
That's not happening any time in my future. Don't know anything about it and wouldn't want to risk destroying it and/or myself.

Besides that I don't want a tube amp as my first electrostatic, or I'd just be wondering what I'm missing out on with the solid state versions.
>>
How does it feel to be the worst general on /g/?
>>
>>54113843
Honestly? Don't care. It's an anonymous image board where I come to talk to people who know more about technology than I do. Why should I even care what the no lifers think of the different general threads?
>>
>>54113818
I like solid state because I don't have to fuck with sourcing tubes. And they tend to last decades instead of 5-10 years. Not that OOP sand is a ton cheaper if you have to replace it down the road though.

I've got a KGSSHV 500V myself. It kills the best STAX amps I've owned, and I had a 727 II unmodded and feedback modded at one point. KGST is that same tier when built right even with tubes. It's better than all mass production STAX.

That being said, I wouldn't know how good that particular one is until I had it in my hands to look at. It says it has the RCA tubes which sounds a bit too good. They might be worn out and in need of replacement. But all the solid state stuff looks decent. I can't identify the potentiometer either. Might be a weak point. But easy enough to swap out.
>>
>>54113875
Thanks for your advice and insight. I'll remember the yahoo auctions thing and probably end up saving for something end-game with a solid state amp.

I really appreciate the help.
>>
I want some headphones that sound closer to the head than HD600s. Recommendations thanks.
>>
File: hpg.png (1 MB, 1892x635) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
1 MB, 1892x635
Yo.
>>
>>54113924
No problem. STAX really are so great for the price if you know where to look. It's a shame so many shy away from them because by the time they've heard of them, they've sunk decent money into a dynamic system.
>>
Do DT880s really make your ears bleed with sibilance?
>>
>>54114041
not at all
i dont understand the shills on 4chan who talk shit about beyerdynamic, theyre a great company
>>
File: hpg.jpg (802 KB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
hpg.jpg
802 KB, 2160x1440
>>54114009
Buyidg from yahoo auction sometimes concern of its durability, as I heard stax need high maintenance and really sensitive to dust.
>>
>>54112498
not for bus use. you'd need a mobile amp to power them, and they're huge and wouldn't fit nicely in a bag or around your neck.
>>
>>54114115
>heard stax need high maintenance and really sensitive to dust.

Not at all. There's SR-5's and SRX Mk III's on there from the 1960's still trucking along just fine. They'll run basically forever if they're cared for. Dust only fucks them up if you damage the dust guards or open the driver, which you should never do.

The main thing that kills STAX is people arcing the stators, usually by driving them through a transformer box while accidentally having the volume at ear-bleeding. Same thing as blowing any other kind of driver though. Also leaving them in a box for 20-30 years can sometimes cause the diaphragm to stick to one side of the stator or ruin the coating. As long as they've actually been used once or twice during that time, that shouldn't happen.

Usually the only thing they need over the years is the same as any other old headphones. New pads and maybe a new cord.
>>
>>54114198
Well. Buying used sometimes mean you didn't know what the first owner does with that stax. And it comes to my country that have naturally high humidity and it might cause some issues if you didn't really pay attention when maintaining it.
>>
>>54114353
I live in the biggest swamp in my country and use a 20 year old pair every day. They're really not any more delicate than other headphones. I still put a dust cover on them when I put them away just to be safe. But then SR-007 Mk I early's aren't something anybody would want to have to pay to replace.

But yes, buying used is always a risk. Looking at pictures of something will usually tell you how well somebody took care of their stuff though, and you get something just fine way more often than you get a lemon. I've had more packages lost from buying overseas than I've ever had broken items. And the number for both of those is exceedingly small.

In fact, if the recent SR-009 driver problems are anything to go by, it's safer to buy used with some models.
>>
>Budget
200 to 300€, even more if you find me the perfect model.
>Location
France
>Source
Computer
I dont know, but i think i prefer full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
High, i will be wearing these for 8 hours a day
>Preferred music
I listen to a lot of trance music, it helps me to work
>Past headphones
Logitech G430 (I will use an external mic in the future)

Also i would really like to have a very good voice quality. I will listen to music at the background, have the games sound still clear and also the voices from my mates on TS.

Also if you have good advices on external mics for gaming, please share.
>>
>>54114577
Any XLR mic will be better than a headset mic, but stick to brands that manufacture audio equipment, not stuff like blue. You might want to consider an audio interface like the yamaha UR22mkii and an audio-technica or sennheiser microphone.

As for the headphones you can't go wrong with a pair of beyerdynamics. You're in France too so you could probably order them from amazon.de for really really fucking cheap as well.

Good bass but still present mid range? Have to advise the dt880.
>>
>>54114577
Have a look at the Phillips Fidelio X2s, if you listen solely to EDM/Trance they suit your description perfectly. They run fine on on board audio. I find them a little lacking for certain genres that focus on vocals.

As for comfort I find them extremely comfy, but a bit heavy on my scrawny neck though.

You might like the K7XX as well, much lighter and comfier ear pads, I don't own them but I think they would make for better all rounders. Mind you, they need a dedicated amp to shine.

There are many other options, hopefully other more knowledgeable anons will chip in.
>>
>>54114689
>>54114577
http://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-600-Ohm/dp/B0024NK35S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461060179&sr=8-1&keywords=dt880+600
>>
>>54114577
Vmoda boom pro with fidelio X2 would be pretty good for gaming. They have fairly wide soundstage for figuring out where sounds are coming from in game, and fairly satisfying bass for explosions and sound effects.

They are a bit lacking in the mids department (majority of frequency spectrum for speech) but you can adjust volume of your VOIP seperately so it is a non issue.

The K7xx has the bass at the level of mid range, it is more neutral sounding better suited for a wider variety of music genres while still having decent sound stage and bass for gaming.

You will need a different mod mic and amp for it though since it doesn't have 3.5mm socket, mini XLR instead for removable cable. (3.5mm to PC)
>>
>>54114744
>>54114690
>>54114689
Thanks to you all your advices seems perfect.
I cant find the V-Moda mic on Amazon from france, do you know by any chance a comparable device from another brand ?

Thanks
>>
>>54115126
have a look at the mod mic 4.0 then. If you don't mind slapping a magnet with adhesive on your headphones.

I'd prefer something that goes into a 3.5mm port, looks neater and doesn't mess up your headphones. I don't know of other options besides Vmoda boom pro but there should be other decent similar boom mics out there.
>>
>>54114041
The 600 ohm should be ok.
>>
File: 41N47+9s9oL._SY300_.jpg (9 KB, 282x300) Image search: [Google]
41N47+9s9oL._SY300_.jpg
9 KB, 282x300
Thoughts on the IE 80s? I'm thinking of getting them cheap from the Amazon warehouse deals thing.
>>
>>54111631
LFF and mrspeakers aren't nearly the greenhorns your comment might suggest. As for reddit, it's not the first time they picked up on tired and bad ideas past their expiration date.

>>54113602
It works nicely, but it took more than just a few filters for me. It didn't work out better than any other planar magnetic, plus a little isolation.

>>54115223
Aside from sensitivity and impedance, it's not different in a way that couldn't be blamed on chance.

>>54115255
There are a couple people here who like it, but I happen to think it's a piece of crap.
It probably has the worst case of upper bass boost of any in-ear. The bass knob doesn't affect the upper bass, just the low bass. At the min bass setting, the subbass is not too far from flat level, but there is +10dB on 150-200 Hz.

Little isolation, and the ATH-IM50 probably hit the mark better with some mild differences in tuning, I think for the better.
>>
>>54115330
600 ohm version is much better than both 250 ohm and 32 ohm version.
>>
>>54115351
It is better for what reason?
A random production variance that drops the treble a bit? Some misguided notions of impedance and "damping"? Or something else? Even if these did apply, it is a trivial effect.
>>
>>54115381
Check Goldenears graphs.
>>
>>54115255
You get a bad in-ear with someone else's earwax in exchange for your money.

>>54115351
Here we go again. Why? Judging from the graphs I've seen I'd personally pick the 250 Ohm version while all of them seem very similar with no obvious reason to prefer the 600 Ohm model. And I have my doubts that the differences shown in the graphs persists across all units in the same manner.
>>
>>54115330
>>54115420
Hey, nothing wrong with a bit of ear-wax :^)

So, as someone who is honestly pretty noobish with technical terms, but who wants a high(er) end IEM, what would your recommendations be?

I know >>54115330 mentioned the ATH-IM50, but surely a $65 earphone will fall short against the IE 80? Even if that's not the case, for the same money as the 80s, what should I be looking at?

Thanks friends. Sorry if I'm breaking rules here, I'm from /mu/ :/
>>
>>54115448
>So, as someone who is honestly pretty noobish with technical terms, but who wants a high(er) end IEM, what would your recommendations be?
"Higher end" is rather meaningless, mostly just indicates the price loosely which in turn has almost no correlation with product quality. You need to be more precise, otherwise people will recommend you in-ears which they like. Filling the form in the OP is the easy way to find you something you might like.
>>
>>54115420
> why?
600 ohm version is overall more balanced. 32 ohm and 250 ohm are identical, then there's no reason to spend more money for a 250 ohm.
>>
>Budget
Up to $200USD (maybe a bit more)

>Location
New Zealand (But I will buy from Amazon, so just consider me US)

>Source
iPod, PC, Vinyl (Need a cartridge). Currently run most of my music through an Astro MixAmp (Gaming headset amp) and listen on Astro A40s. I do own HD598s, which I run through my 1970 Rotel RA-611. Since the Sennheisers have no mic, I do the majority of my listening on the A40s. But I'm looking for IEMs for out and about use, so this isn't hugely relevant.

IEM

>Preferred tonal balance
No idea about this

>Preferred music
Everything, prog to post rock, classic rock etc. Enough of everything as doesn't influence my decision.

>Past headphones
As above. Astro A40, Sennheiser HD598. Honestly, I would struggle to tell the difference between these. My ear really isn't trained, or at least I can't articulate it. HD598s certainly have more bass, and the high-end is different. But just 'different', I can't explain how. My comparison was running the HD598s through the Rotel playing my iPod, and the Astros through their MixAmp playing iTunes. Probably not the best test, but again, I struggle to differentiate anyway.

I would like to think that I appreciate good quality sound, but that I simply don't pay enough attention to adequately vocalize what I'm after in more specific terms. Basically, some nice IEMs.
>>
>>54115621
I don't see it. That recess in treble and especially upper mids is really unpleasant and if you level average those graphs, the 600 Ohm just has more mids. The treble peak is maybe a bit smaller in magnitude but relative to that recess before it's still a quite significant peak. All of these differences are still rather small and like I said, I have my doubts that these differences are inherent to the impedance versions.
>>
>>54115330
I generally don't trust people who do not have relevant qualifications and training in acoustics using archaic manufacturing methods that are not subject to the pervasive quality control large-scale automated manufacturing affords. It doesn't matter how long they have spent circlejerking in subjectivist bullshit forums to me. Sticking putty/foam/cotton in earcups and altering its porting to yield some arbitrary curve decided by their subjective feelings is amateurish and laughably primitive. They lack the scale to produce at the tolerances assembly-line manufacturing affords, nor to access sophisticated design tools like CFD/BEA. Sadly, people can't stop throwing money at these amateurs.
>>
>>54115876
I don't know if you can tell, but I really don't care what crappy new design someone in their backyard came up with. I'm not even interested in headphones.

At the same time, I don't see your criticisms as necessarily valid. Maybe this is because I see a different person doing this than you.
>>
>>54116086
He has a point though. It's like all those people claiming that buying new pads makes their headphones the equivalent of the next model up.
>>
>>Budget
>$50-250
>>Location
>USA
>>Source
>phone, records
>>Preferred type of headphone
>headphones, closed, will also take IEM recommendations
>>Comfort level
>don't care about this as much as isolation, but this is my second top priority
>>Preferred tonal balance
>bass- but still with neutrality
>>Preferred music
>electronic, rock
>>Past headphones
>Shure SE215, monster turbine pro copper, etymotic er4p and hf5, Sony mdrxb950bt
>>
>>54115740
ATH-IM02 would be a pretty nice option and the IM50 recommended previously is good too. Certainly better than the IE 80. They are fairly balanced sounding, leading towards a darker tone.

>HD598s certainly have more bass
This is interesting, must be your old Rotel with (likely) huge output impedance causing it. I went from my A40s to HD 650 and the A40s had plenty more bass to the point of being boomy compared to the HD 650s. The HD 650s have more bass than the HD 598s do. Might also be that Astro changed their production over the years to change the signature. It kind of makes sense when using an old integrated amplifier to drive a pair of headphones with a large impedance swing makes the HD 598s sound bassy. You could try the HD 598s from your phone, any difference in bass quantity?

Appreciating sound quality is something you kind of learn once you experience or get used to it. Hard to let go once you do.
>>
>>54114197
>>54112575
Thanks
>>
>>54116228
Thanks for the advice. Its certainly surprising to hear that a much cheaper earphone is better than the IE 80s, but I'm not going to argue with the judgement I'm seeing!

Perhaps its because I can't drive the A40s through the Rotel to compare? They are 3.5mm and I only have a step-down adapter for the 598s, so the A40s won't fit.

I don't have any music on my phone, but I just played the 598s off my iPod, and there's much less bass there, even at max volume.

I will look into AT a bit more now, thanks :)
>>
>>54116153
I'm all for it if things like new pads show an objective, measurable improvement. The problem with invasive mods is that even if there is significant improvement, such companies do not have the ability to do high-level QC to ensure unit-to-unit consistency.

In fact, I believe Axel Grell (chief engineer at Sennheiser) said something to the effect of having tried using felt/foam-based materials in R&D for tuning, but eschewed those due to fears of these materials migrating out of place and degrading over time. Its another weak link as far as QC and variation goes, especially unit consistency over time. This philosophy is probably why they ended up with a Heimholtz resonator for the HD800S instead of just slapping the Anax mod on in the factory. And this is Sennheiser we're talking about - the guys at the cutting-edge of headphone manufacturing.
>>
>>54116349
>Thanks for the advice. Its certainly surprising to hear that a much cheaper earphone is better than the IE 80s, but I'm not going to argue with the judgement I'm seeing!
When it comes to audio, price has very loose correlation with sound quality. Just something to keep in mind while shopping.

>I don't have any music on my phone, but I just played the 598s off my iPod, and there's much less bass there, even at max volume.
As I expected, HD 5x8 -series Sennheisers have a large impedance swing around 100 Hz which makes them sound very bassy/boomy when driven from sources with high output impedance. This is very common to integrated amplifiers and receivers, especially old ones. Phones, portable devices and most modern electronics generally don't exhibit this. Driving your Astros from that same Rotel might not do anything at all to their sound as it's dependent on the properties of the headphones in relation to the output. With flat load impedance nothing would change.

I remember when disassembling my A40s they had 32 Ohms per channel labeled on the magnets but couldn't find out any other specs of the transducers.

There could be some other in-ears in your price point which are worthwhile options. I recommended ATs because they have a balanced and pleasing sound signature for most people without a specific preference as well as good build and fit.
>>
>>54116719
Thanks again for the reply mate. The IM02 is looking pretty attractive. Not sure if you'll see this, but do you think I would notice any benefit in getting the FiiO E10K to use as opposed to my Astro amp?

I've got a feeling the MixAmp isn't the best, but with nothing other than the Rotel to compare with I'm not sure if it being a "gaming amp" is a potentially negative thing when compared to a different DAC/Amp.
>>
>>54118072
>Not sure if you'll see this, but do you think I would notice any benefit in getting the FiiO E10K to use as opposed to my Astro amp?
Amplifier/DAC checklist:

-Is it too quiet?
-Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
-Is there noise/EMI or hiss to it?
-Does it sound distorted as you start to crank up the volume?
If the answer is no, don't get one.

Only bad thing from my experience with the MixAmp was limited output power for some headphones I've used, odd "support" for certain sampling rates through optical(the thing literally started distorting and sounding different on some specific sampling rates) and the Dolby simulation is awful. It's just an external discrete DA-converter, headphone amplifier, digital processor and a mic interface. Kind of handy actually if you don't have any problems with it. The checklist above still stands. E10K will likely output more power and perform better but whether this has any audible benefits over the MixAmp is another thing.
>>
>>54115351
>>54115381
>>54115398
>>54115420
>>54115621
It's note worth to say that, whille Goldenears shows 600 ohms as being better, Innerfidelity measurements shows 250 as having smaller dips and less driver inbalance.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880250ohm.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880600ohm.pdf
>>
>>54118201
I do get a bit of a hiss when I turn the volume up. I normally don't touch it though, as I just adjust on iTunes or in my system volume on the PC.

Just reading up on the equalization guide in the wiki. This is intense, but I'm keen to give it a try tomorrow.
>>
>>54118597
>Just reading up on the equalization guide in the wiki
I'm not sure if that's up to date. The wiki is(or was) pretty shit aside from the papers in the links really. I haven't visited it in a while. Learning to use a parametric EQ is extremely handy, especially with headphones. You can ask for help here. I'm too lazy re-writing the guide in the wiki and there are plenty of anons who use and know how to EQ in these threads. It's actually pretty simple once you have a visualization what you are doing and understand basics of frequency response.
>>
File: bee.png (497 KB, 973x847) Image search: [Google]
bee.png
497 KB, 973x847
Cop?

Obviously I'll be replacing the cushions and disinfecting them.
>>
>>54118968
Sure but they have a fairly harsh treble.
>>
>>54119003
How are they compared to the DT770's?

I have a pair of those and think they're pretty great.
>>
>>54118248
>more even treble
>tighter bass
>tighter mids
>tighter THD

It's not just about treble peaks son.
>>
>>54119035
Similar but open.

Try and find a dt880 for something different.
>>
>>54119035
Treble is harsher, bass doesn't extend as low and the overall response is about as V-shaped. Fully open back.
>>
any recommended headsets?
i'm not spergy enough to use a desk mic
if its wireless even better
>>
>>54119268
>i'm not spergy enough to use a desk mic
modmic
v-moda boompro
>>
>>54119268
HyperX Cloud. Can't think of any wireless headset of at least decent quality.
>>
>>54119268
>I'm not spergy enough to use a desk mic
Good because nobody recommended one?

Use a zalman zm-mic1

Also headsets are invariably balls and you should not buy one if you don't want to waste your money entirely.
>>
>>54119277
>>54119292
any headsets with huge cups?
i can't stand them sitting on my ears

those seem pretty small
>>
>>54119324
let me rephrase it then
>i'm not spergy enough to use a external mic
>>
>>54118966
>aside from the papers in the links really
I can upload some more papers and books if people care enough for it.
>>
>>54119342
spergy enough to use a headset though, do you work customer support lines?
>>
File: 1409458100677.png (497 KB, 1016x591) Image search: [Google]
1409458100677.png
497 KB, 1016x591
Besides SPH9500, what other headphones work with the boompro?
All price ranges, i know people with enough money to have, say, a HD800S probably also have money for a good capacitive condenser mic, but i'm just curious.
>>
>>54119359
>spergy
>multilplayer games
are you living in 2001?
>>
>>54119333
>any headsets with huge cups?
Depends on the size of your ears. HyperX Cloud was really comfy for me when I tried it but then again I have small ears. You could always go for the headphones + a separate clip on mic route where you have a lot more options with headphones.

>>54119349
>I can upload some more papers and books if people care enough for it.
Absoluitely.
>>
>>54119349
That would be great, Anon.
>>
File: 14568399445320.jpg (61 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
14568399445320.jpg
61 KB, 700x525
>>54119349
Yes.
>>
>>54119506
>headphones + a separate clip on mic route
i already said i'm not a sperg
>>
>>54119380
M40x/M50x
Fidelio X2
BAKA-1000
>>
headphones + mic is not usable for 99% of people
stop fucking recommending it

audiophiles need to fuck off already
literally no one cares about quality, only comfyness
>>
File: 1457323269964.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1457323269964.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>54119538
HyperX Cloud then famalan.
>>
>>54119538
Are the same dude who got mad and caused and argument of almost 100 posts past bump limit two thread ago?
Anyway, /hpg/ usually go with two options when it comes to this, HyperX Cloud and headphone + separate mic, make your choice or go ask somewhere else.
>>54119583
Implying anyone suggests "audiophile" headphones for gaymen.
>>
>>54119583
Suggestions here were the likes of ModMic or something that essentially attaches to your headphones' cable instead of a desktop mic.
>>
>>54119619
>connecting a external mic to your headset
>binding it your cord
stop
not everyone is a sperg like you
>>
>>54119583
>If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"
Same goes for headphone models and headset alternatives, if you don't like it, just suggest a better alternative for whomever asked, we are not going to stop doing our thing because it makes you mad.
>>
Hey guys can't decide between RHA 750 and jvc ha-fxt90.

Rha seem to be warmer and less punchy

Where as JVC has more of a V sounds signature.

Anyone got any tips?
>>
>>54119649
my rec is for you to stop existing
>>
>>54119676
>newfags thinking they they can change things they don't understand
>>
>>54119583
>headphones + mic is not usable for 99% of people
Why not? The only difference is you have to do a bit of assembly and you have two cables instead of one.

Well, that and you can use a much better microphone than the crap you find on headsets.
>>
File: 1355533057617.jpg (260 KB, 1230x1238) Image search: [Google]
1355533057617.jpg
260 KB, 1230x1238
>>54119858
>>54119710
>>54119649
>>54119619
>>54119617
Anons, i propose we do a new and updated guide explaining why headsets are mostly bullshit, including headphone and mic alternatives, so we don't need to answer this >>54119583 >>54119646 >>54119676 kind of shitposting (which quite frankly, we should probably ignore anyay) and can focus on more interesting discussions.

We already have SPH9500 and Fidelio X2 which accept Boompro, what are other headphones that accept it?
Alternatively, what are some mic that can be attatched to headphones? ZM-mic 1 ir one, what else?
What do you guys think to be the headphones with better "gamer" characteristics in different price ranges? These recent headset requests clearly don't show care for sound quality, do i'm thinking comfort and durability might be priorities here.
>>
>>54119268
Beyerdynamic MMX300.
>5 year warranty if purchased from authorized dealer
>Just like prebuilt gaming PCs with their warranties if something happens stupid ppl don't know how to fix
>German made so it must be good
inb4 dt770 + modmic. This picky anon wants a "complete headset" and comfyness.
>>
>>54119973
>a new and updated guide
You expect these idiots to bother to read let alone entertain the notion that they can use something other than a gaming headset? They reject any sensible suggestion because they believe it is "presumption" or "audiophile nonsense."
>>
>>54119987
He's paying $200 extra, three times the MSRP of the headphones, to have some Chinese factory worker attach a headphone mic to them.

IF you have to suggest a pair of gaming headset at least stick to the Cloud. It isn't completely screwing the retarded.
>>
>>54120063
I'm just saying, if there's a good guide on Op we can just point them to it and ignore them afterwards, no need to hold their hands to the fucking toiled while they cry and scream, we could even include HyperX Cloud and other silly and expensive "headset by good audio brand" options for the most stubborn ones.
I bet a good guide would make at least a few of them think about it before shitposting.
>>
>>54120119
>we can just point them to it and ignore them afterwards
That's is essential the same as just ignoring the request for headsets in the first place. There is already an explanation as to why headsets are a retarded in the first place in the FAQ.
>>
>>54120160
There are two of them, one very old in which they are offended and called stupid and one so updated it even suggests the original M50.
>>
>>54120160
>There are two of them
Thus there are two explanations available, one provided in the OP, that they ignore and making a third one will have no more utility.
>>
Mojo or Oppo HA-2?

I haven't tried both but which one will be worth my penny?
>>
>>54120212
We are clearly talking about stupid people here, they want headsets for crying out loud,, of couse they ignore something that's not highlighted in Op itself as "HEADSET GUIDE, READ BEFORE ASKING ABOUT IT", and the few who do read the current ones feel offended by the elitist tone, which prompt them to shitpost anyway.
>>
>>54120261
>they ignore something that's not highlighted in Op itself as "HEADSET GUIDE, READ BEFORE ASKING ABOUT IT"
They not only ignore something that isn't there, they ignore sensible advice and every headset guide that IS provided.

>feel offended by the elitist tone
If they are coming here for advice and rejecting what we post as "elitist" I'm sure they're going to take the advice of a guide made by the same "elitists" in the same thread.

If you want to waste your time making a third guide that these idiots will also ignore feel free to waste your time. Don't expect anyone else to help you when the one in the FAQ explains it clearly.
>>
>>54120318
why are you so mad though?
>>
>>54119003
Compare 990 to T5p, which one is more harsh in treble?
>>
>>54120354
Excuse me for pointing out the lack of sense in your proposal. Concluding my attempt to point that out as "mad" seems to indicate that if anyone is mad it is you.
>>
>>54120354
Insecure elitism, some anons don't like the idea of minimizing dumb people and making them less dumb, for whatever reason.

It's not too hard to not end up being painfully condescending in a guide, I could throw up something quick as a general idea
>>
>>54120429
>some anons don't like the idea of minimizing dumb people
Which is why so many of use were trying to explain the idiocy of headsets as exemplified in >>54119973 with the six or so posts linked to it?

I think it is pretty simple to understand, given the one example in this thread, that if they aren't idiots too wed to the idea of buying a headset they will listen to sense whether it is from a guide or from asking advice. Providing a new guide will not change this. Expecting it will is foolish to say the least.
>>
>>54120393
not the same Anon, but ok, you seem to busy trying to prove your points to care.
>>54120354
i'm with >>54120429, lets make a non-agressive guide to explain it first and later add headphone and mic options.
>>54120475
yeah, you assume things can't get better so you don't try to change them for anyone, we got it already.
>>
>>54120518
>trying to prove your points to care.
I wrote:
>feel free to make your own guide
but apparently I'm wasting my words.
>>
>>54120766
You got the wrong board and the wrong thread. Try asking in >>>/v/
>>
>>54119583
>audiophiles need to fuck off already
literally no one cares about quality, only comfyness

this sentence makes no sense, headphone enthusiasts care about all aspects of a headphones, and yet you go and say the only thing people care about is comfyness?
>>
I need an advice
>Budget
Max €30
>Location
Europe
IEMs
>Comfort level
As comfy as it gets, not really an issue with IEMs i guess
>Preferred music
I don't really have a favorite genre but i mostly listen to rock, pop, punk and alternative stuff.
>Past headphones
Superlux HD668B i use for my desktop are perfect for me so far

I'm no audiophile and i'm looking for something that will sound "decent" or at least not terrible. So far i've been looking at the Xiaomi Piston 3 which i see that are often recommended. I want to use them when i'm outside or on the couch.
Any advice?
>>
File: weebify.png (822 KB, 1234x1266) Image search: [Google]
weebify.png
822 KB, 1234x1266
>tfw spotify suddenly has loads obscure doujin music and denpa

>>54121772
LG Quadbeat 3, Piston 3 if Quadbeat are out of your budget. Basically all the in-ears in that price point are very bassy.

>>54120429
>It's not too hard to not end up being painfully condescending in a guide, I could throw up something quick as a general idea
That'd be great.
>>
>>54119583
>headphones + mic is not usable for 99% of people

then why in the world are you paying $200 extra dollars for the manufacturer to attach a shitty mic with flashing LEDs for you?

Are you that same anon who had a hissy fit two threads ago because people were being mean to you despite your piss poor attitude?
>>
>>54121838
Is there much difference between the pistons and the quads? I found the quads for €30 while the piston are €15
>>
>>54121899
Piston is more V-shaped and the Quad is more balanced. Kind of depends on what are you looking for. Quads are still really bassy but just not as massively as many options in that range.
>>
>>54121919
I'm not sure yet. If i were to raise the budget what could i find?
>>
File: etyexperience.webm (834 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
etyexperience.webm
834 KB, 640x360
>>54122001
You can find very neutral sounding options and less bassy in-ears as well as better selection of included accessories such as tips and filters, cleaning tools and possibly better fit on some models.
>>
>>54122087
If i remember correctly someone recommended the Soundmagic E10 or something for €40, are they any good or is there something better for the price? Even though i think i don't really want to spend more than €15 on some IEMs
>>
>>54122149
E10 is more or less dark sounding, upper mids are recessed. I don't like it that much but it's a different option for a cheaper price. I personally like Etymotics(MK5) but those are out of your budget. If you don't want to spend a lot on in-ears, the Piston 3 is fine. Beware of fakes though. Not sure where the euro prices have settled.
>>
>>54122217
I'll just settle with something cheap for now, i don't spend too much time listening to music anyway. I'd rather spend more on desktop headphones than for a phone. Etymotics 5 are €75 so they're way out of my budget. I see Piston 3 on eBay for €6 but i guess they're fake or there are the ones on Amazon for €15 sold by Xiaomi
>>
>>54122296
6e for a new Piston 3 is definitely a fake or just too high of a risk to take.
>>
>>54121852
>Are you that same anon
Most likelly, to be honest i was quite impressed about how mad he was, the argument kept going for about 80 posts beyond bump limit.
>>
Need new headphones which are compatible with the BoomPro for skype and general VoIP use but comfy and light enough so I can sit at the 'puter all day and not have earache, I'm thinking of the Fidelio X2s which are almost 50% off on Amazon right now but I'm open for alternatives

>budget
<£200
>location
England
>source
Computer
>preferred type of headphone
Over-ear or on-ear
>comfort level
Needs to be lightweight
>preferred music
Classical, RnB, Electro
>past headphones
Cheap headsets which all broke within a few months and some decade old nokia earphones
>>
>>54122502
Get the X2.
>>
>>54119268
ok i'm back

checked out >>54119277
those are trash
>>54119292
the cloud looks alright though the cups seem kinda small and the stuff on the pads looks super cheap

also thank you for all the (you)s
funny how you guys sperg out when someone doesn't want a shitty set of headphones lmao
>>
File: bait.png (29 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
29 KB, 500x275
>>54124682
>funny how you guys sperg out when someone doesn't want a shitty set of headphones
>>
MDR-1A or ATH-MSR7BK?
MDR-1A, is bigger, lighter, has a power button and a volume controller and better specs but I want to consult /hpg/ before buying.

And is there any point in having a power button on your headphones?
>>
>>54125180
The only point I can see to having a power button is to turn on/off any noise cancellation (a useless gimmick IMO). Problem with the 1A is that it's semi-open and doesn't isolate as well as one would expect with a solid grill.
>>
File: 1458458892232.png (47 KB, 872x595) Image search: [Google]
1458458892232.png
47 KB, 872x595
I just spent the past 5 minutes comparing my soundcard with and without an O2. The results were inconclusive. I dont know which is better but if I had to guess the O2 did something. However I took pictures of it and plan to sell it. Am I making a mistake?
>>
>>54125331
Let someone help you perform a blindtest or get one of those ABX boxes.
>>
>>54125353
if its really that inconclusive than its just placebo
>>
what's the most neutral sounding dac/amp
>>
>>54125353
now if anything i hear less detail with the o2 so its actually worse. Its like I'm amplifying something thats already been amplified (xonar dx). Am I just making this shit up?
>>
>>54125442
There's probably no difference.
If you aren't doing a blindtest, expectation bias is going to affect your results.
>>
>>54125331
What headphones have you been using? If your headphones are the weakest link in your audio chain you aren't going to hear any difference.
>>
>>54125465
a developer for xonar said not to chain the o2 and xonar together unless the o2 has 1.x gain. Mine has 2.5x / 6.5x. Otherwise the o2 will clip internally.

Does that make any sense? Really, the o2 has far less detail now that I keep listening.
>>
>>54125470
porta pros
>>
>>54125533
>>
>>54125555
porta pros are gud headphones when eq'd with Equalizer APO
>>
>>54125533
I forgot to ask. Are you connecting the O2 to the PC via USB?
>>
>>54125517
My gut feeling tells me that it doesn't make much sense, but I'm not technically inclined enough to give you a definitive answer.
>>
>>54125590
no, its an amp only, no odac so no usb
>>
>>54125600
Just making sure you didn't pay for the +ODAC as well and forgot.

Why are you amping portapros that don't benefit from amping?
>>
>>54125627
1/8th rule, hardware volume knob
>>
>>54125590
whats wrong with connecting through usb?
>>
>>54125634
You are fretting over impedence mismatch with portapros? Really?
>>
>>54125693
the hardware knob was what i really liked, but now having jettisoned the o2, my sound has improved. All these months of having it plugged in, wow!

Come to think of it - what that xonar engineer was saying was that you should use the ODAC with the O2. Right?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,108224.msg888638.html#msg888638
>>
Hey guys, looking for some advice

>Budget
About $200.
I don't have a hard limit, but I'm looking for something in that range

>Location
US

>Source
PC

>Type
Full sized, over ear

>Open or Closed
Open

>Comfort Level
Something I can wear for hours on end

>Tonal Balance
As neutral as possible. I listen to a really wide range of stuff and I don't want anything to sound out of place.

>Past Headphones
I'm currently using AKG Q701s. They're really comfortable to wear for long periods of time but they tend to slip off my head if I move too much. And I'm really sick of those fucking bumps on the strap
>>
>>54125736
>the hardware knob was what i really liked
You paid $100+ for a hardware knob (and worse sound) instead of better headphones . . .
>>
>>54125754
Similar sound signature? K702 or K7XX on massdrop.
Different sound signature? X2 or HD598.
>>
>>54125789
nothing wrong with porta pros once you eq them...
>>
>>54125881
No one said that there was anything wrong with portapros. Are you busy trying to defend your headphones that were not attacked?
>>
>>54125331
The fuck is an O2?
>>
>>54126093
JDS Lab's Objective 2 headphone amplifier.
>>
>>54125517
>Does that make any sense?
Yes. If it doesn't have the power to reproduce the signal at full amplitude, it'll clip. Since the gain stage in the O2 comes before the volume pot, it'll clip if it's not capable of reproducing it at full volume, even if you have it dialed down. Really, though, you shouldn't double amp regardless. It'll always make things worse. Use it with a dedicated DAC or line out, not a headphone out.
>>
>>54126196
Also, unless you have a weak as all fuck source, don't ever use the 6.5x gain setting. 2.5x is safe with most sources.
>>
>>54119349
Anon please?
>>
>Budget
$60
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
>Preferred
Fullsize
>Open or closed
I'm always in my house, so either one really.
>Comfort level
Most of my time is spent at my computer listening to music.
What do you think? :^)
>Preferred music
https://youtu.be/YbvrM6Nj2Ok
https://youtu.be/WSt-CDG53dU
https://youtu.be/QMpaT2DNYzk
>Past headphones
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000
>>
>>54127008
I should've noted that even though I've got a LifeChat now (although broken) I don't care for a mic.
>>
>>54119546
>BAKA
https://youtu.be/SfrZ686jthU?t=7
>>
Are the RHA MA750i's bassy? I don't want a flat sound signature. I'm between these and the Shure SE215's
>>
> Budget:
100$

> Location:
USA

> Preferred type of headphone:
on-ear

> Comfort:
Yes please

> Tonal balance:
neutral

> Preferred music:
All sorts, pop, EDM, indie, rock, hiphop. Probably in that order

> Past headphones:
Beyerdynamic DT770, some 50$ Hifiman IEMs

Looking for some on ear headphones thatll be more comfy than IEMs/earbuds and more portable than my DT770s so I can use them at the gym / on planes etc. Preferably good isolation and if they fold up smehow to make them more easily portable that would be lovely.
>>
File: 2014_headphones_guide.jpg (1 MB, 1369x3516) Image search: [Google]
2014_headphones_guide.jpg
1 MB, 1369x3516
Anyone have a newer version of this?
>>
>headphones that were 40 bucks only a few years ago costed 90 bucks total now
/hpg/, why is Canadian economy dicks
>>
2 lazy to read pastebin just buy M50x with comfortable ear pads
>>
>>54127439
I know that feel, straya here.
>>
>>54127329
Wiki
>>
File: I Know That Feel.png (42 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
I Know That Feel.png
42 KB, 500x461
>>54127439
Br here, i know that feel, Anon.
>>
>>54126774
I have some acoustics/audio books, some issues of the AES Journal, some standards, but I haven't been looking much lately. Not too much, a bit of stuff like headphone coupler standards/analysis or HRTF generation.

Wondering what other papers or books to add from here.
>>
How much does the ER4 actually rape your ears? It's the only thing turning me off from getting them and just giving up and getting IE800 instead.
>>
>>54127221
Notice me senpai
>>
is the agk k553 any good?
>>
>>54127221
RHA V-shaped and SE215 bassy
>>
>>54128017
Take your little finger and push into your ear until you are only touching bone and not the cartilage. That would be where the tip goes, insertion to the bony portion of the canal. The triflange sticks past further than that.

You can buy after market tips if you don't like triflange, Comply T-100, Shure foam, and Westone Star as some popular alternatives.
Another thing, the ER-4 is getting an update after about 20+ years, ER4XR and 4SR. Besides MMCX connectors on both, 4XR is supposed to be bassier (or even darker?)
>>
>>54127008
Takstar hi2050
>>
>>54128244
I was ok with the sound signature on the hd 598's, but I wanted more bass. Will I be happy with the RHA's?
>>
>>54128558
Unfortunately haven't heard 598 since the price in my country for sennheiser is always bloated. But based on measurement, its kinda different since RHA's mid are a bit scooped compared to 598.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (158 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
158 KB, 1280x720
I swear he is retarded
>>
>>54125754
Most comfy headphones I've had were beyer dt880 which happen to also be very neutral.
>>
>>54129036
I think he just doesn't get out much. It would explain the apparent difficulty he has in speaking and breathing while doing so. Who knows, maybe he has emphysema.
>>
Is the sennheiser HD800S worth the extra money over the HD800? I'm thinking of upgrading from my beyerdynamic T90's that are starting to fail on me after less than a year... I've had a lot of problems with hair and dust getting inside the left driver and vibrating like crazy. I would need to get a new amp as well, but I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 on it. Any recommendations?
>>
>>54129661
It tamed the 6k peak and has a slight boost in lower frequencies. If it's worth it is up to you.
Best solution is to audition both.

As for amps, O2+ODAC or Schiit stack is all you need.
>>
>>54128123
yes, i got them for $120 when they were on massdrop. rather accurate, and surprising soundstage for closed headphones. only complaint is getting a good fit. they sit weird. if you don't get a good seal, sound quality goes downhill.
>>
recently got some woox made X2s. despite being shilled so hard recently - they live up to hype. these are some damn good headphones.
>>
>>54129713
You either love them or hate them.

I like my X2s for certain genres and gaming, but I often find myself desiring elevated mids, tighter bass, and clearer treble.

The treble seems mostly subdued but can get a little irritating for me on certain tracks.

My future upgrade will likely be a set of planars like the HE 500 with modified pads or an HD800 if I can tolerate its highs

Leaning more towards HE 500 based on opinion and charts, I'd love to audition them but I haven't found any shops in Brisbane to do so.
>>
>>54129794
these x2s are just a hold over for me. i'm a long time ad900 user and will likely be the future owner of the ad2000x. i'm just waiting until i have a better income to justify that kind of purchase.
>>
>>54129661
What is your current amp?

How much do you have in your savings/how much are you willing to spend?

If you're looking at end game headphones you might want to consider planar/electrostatic.
>>
>>54129808
I'd consider the 2000x if it had a detachable cable. Not gonna risk modding an expensive set with a 3.5mm female jack.
>>
>>54129808
Have you heard the r70x? I've loved the audio technica sound ever since my first headphones were ad700 (for gaming admittedly, but once I heard them I got a xonar essence and started listening to more music) so I'd be interested to know what their attempt at a more neutral monitoring headphone was like and how successful it was.
>>
>>54129661
yes if you can't get the hd800 for $800
>>
>>54129661
I'd personally just get HD 800 and EQ as I know I'd be equalizing the HD 800S anyway, too. This is up to you. You don't need a magical amplifier for them, O2 or Magni will do the job.

>>54129794
HE-500 is discontinued. As an owner of a pair they are super uncomfortable and the cable is shit. The notch in the treble is troublesome.
>>
>>54130191
I see, I did hear they were pretty damned heavy.
How is the notch in treble troublesome by the way? just curious.

What similar planar alternatives are there within that price range?
I can give the 400i a shot but i hear it doesn't have a very wide sound stage.
>>
>>54130285
It's not so much about the weight but how it's distributed. All the weight is on top of my head in a single spot which starts to hurt after 15 minutes of use.

>How is the notch in treble troublesome by the way? just curious.
Too high Q, near impossible to EQ and makes them sound dark.

>What similar planar alternatives are there within that price range?
Eh, I've auditioned HE-560s which sounded great to me(tm) and were really comfy. I don't care about a transducer type at all as it doesn't have any inherent traits on the sound. It's just means to an end. HE-560 is a bit more expensive, too.

>I can give the 400i a shot but i hear it doesn't have a very wide sound stage.
I wouldn't put any emphasis on soundstage and especially not on other people's impressions on it as it's mostly affected by FR and easily altered by EQ. HE-400i doesn't seem all that great from the stock response to me.
>>
Are different sized ears a thing? Just put the large tips on the IEMs I got and the right one feels loose/not deep enough somehow.
>>
>>54130535
Yes they are a thing.
>>
>>54129794
He-560 is probably a better bet. They're available new and don't have the comfort issues of the previous hifimans from what I've heard.

Worrying about soundstage is like saying "I only listen to a few cd's" because it's dependent on the recording more than anything.
>>
>>54130585
fair enough
>>
>>54130570
So find larger tips with same nozzle size to try? Should I just go foam? Theyre just piston 3s so I'm kinda hesitant to throw money at them.
>>
>>54128384
I just received these today, testing them out now. Been using MDR V6 for two years, initially the sharpness of those was really overwhelming, S sounds in particular pierced my ears, but I got so used to it that these sound almost muddy in comparison. Actually that's a half truth, some things lack the definition I'm used to but on the other hand I'm noticing new things in songs. Will definitely take a bit until I get used to these. I also feel like the earpads of the V6 are more comfortable. Though I remember them causing my ears a bit of discomfort after wearing them for long, back when I first got them. I'm sure these will adjust as well
>>
>>54131116
How have they not been sued by beyerdynamic?
>>
>>54131185
Oh never mind they're chinese. Good luck ever doing that.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>54131196
That they are
>>
>>54113944
you can't. that's an inherent weakness of overear headphones. go buy a custom IEM.
>>
File: cate.jpg (42 KB, 365x444) Image search: [Google]
cate.jpg
42 KB, 365x444
>>54131116
Something that is weird is that these feel like they're blocking more sound than the V6, even though these are semi open and those are fully closed. Maybe I'm just listening at a higher volume?
>>
>>54113944
>>54131238
One solution is to buy closed headphones.

If you want decent neutrality try the beyerdynamic dt250.
>>
So would a magni 2 + modi 2 combo used with a hd 600 get accurate high quality sound? Or should i get different stuff?
>>
>>54131726
>different stuff
Get those and get a tube amp. That. Is. Different.
>soundstage improves
>hard hitting bass is now back
>open things up
>you got hd600s you gotta try them on tubes
https://youtu.be/65r9Q21Yxno?t=8m45s
>>
Need advice m8s. My microphone on my v2 only acts as "stereo mix" now for some reason. Can't find a fix so I'm replacing them. They were the first "proper" headphones I bought and I loved them.
I wear glasses and most headsets hurt my ears/head but these didn't.

>Budget
£130 ($190 I guess)
>Location
England
>Source
Computer
Full
>Open or closed
Not sure
>Comfort level
Needs to be at least an 8. I'll be wearing for long periods with glasses on.
>Preferred music
Varies a lot but I've been listening to these sorts lately :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbTggEMAtHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LDEm8mC-Nw
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZAY1xnsyA
I don't know if these are good examples to give but oh well.
>Past headphones
Siberia v2
I was thinking of just getting another pair of v2's but maybe there's something better that's out.
Also, the microphone quality of the v2 was great, I could even leave it on my desk in front of the speakers and it would only pick up my voice, didn't try it with music on though.
Sorry if I did this wrong.
>>
>>54131881
Just get another pair of v2s. I have a feeling that you won't be satisfied with a headphone+mic separately. Regulars here will recommend you HyperX Cloud. I'd recommend you MMX300 but it's cheaper if you went DT770+Modmic.
>>
>>54131726
Great combo. Alternatively O2+ODAC.
>>
>>54131935
>it's cheaper if you went DT770+Modmic.
It also gives you the exact same result for $150 less.
>>
>>54131935
I haven't got a problem with using a seperate mic, I just don't really have the space for it.
That modmic seems really good though.
For simplicities sake I may just have to go with the v2, yeah.
I've bookmarked those models you mentioned, thanks. The MMX300 is a bit too high for me though.
>>
Can I get a quick Piston 3 vs Hybrid Dual Drivers overview? I'm more interested in tradeoffs in usability with each other functionality (mic, buttons), but audio stuff is good too.
>>
>>54131754
>I like it when my headphones distort
>listening to your gear and not the music

>>54131726
That is a great combo.
>>
File: Bass.png (48 KB, 441x552) Image search: [Google]
Bass.png
48 KB, 441x552
What does the Bass management do the audio quality? My headphones get horrible noise when its off but it might just be an issue with them , if i had a decent pair how worth it is it? help
>>
>>54132651
Leave those ambiguous settings untouched unless you know what it's doing. What's that device? On-board codec? You could try searching for the datasheet of that device and see if the manufacturer specfies that feature.
>>
>>54132651
>My headphones get horrible noise when its off but it might just be an issue with them
It could be jack noise given you seem to be using an onboard audio codec.
>>
>>54132714
I put it in the on bord audio ( front side audio jack )
if i put it in the back audio jack i get a lot more noise and i can hear even if music is off , it might just be a problem with my headphone pair.
How fix? A USB DAC? small budget unfortunately (all advice welcome)
>>
Do I need a DAC or just an amp for my headphone?

seems like the only thing that an external DAC would be needed for is if your computer is giving off hiss or other noise when outputting audio
>>
>>54132857
What headphones do you have? What motherboard do you have? Have you disabled all of those audio enhancements and clicked "Disable all sound effects"?
>>
>>54132873
There is no sense in amping a headphone output from your computer. Same as there is no sense buying a headphone amp for the volume knob when you can use something like equalizerAPO+peace instead of the windows volume control.

What motherboard do you have?
What headphones do you have?
Do you already own a DAC or AMP?
>>
>>54132888
Should also ask do you hear any background noise when you turn the volume up on your computer with nothing playing?
>>
Should i get ATH-T200 or spend a little extra and go for ATH-M20x?
>>
>>54132876
>What headphones do you have?
Grado SR60e (got it from a doggy shop)
>What motherboard do you have
G1.SNIPER A88X
( http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-G1-SNIPER-Socket-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B00OXXIM28?ie=UTF8&keywords=G1.SNIPER%20A88X&qid=1461160053&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 )
>Have you disabled all of those audio enhancements and clicked "Disable all sound effects"?
i did and it makes the bass sound a lot worse a rattle of sorts.
what do?
>>
I would like to find earbuds in the 50-70 euro range suitable for EDM and a bit of pop (pretty bassy but not to bassy)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.