[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tfw we know time travel is impossible because if it was time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6
File: Time Machine.jpg (71 KB, 970x647) Image search: [Google]
Time Machine.jpg
71 KB, 970x647
>Tfw we know time travel is impossible because if it was time travelers from the future would have already visited us

Why live?
>>
>>54100088
Why the hell would time travelers wanna visit your useless faggot ass?
>>
>>54100088
Time is not what you think it is. To understand time, you need to let go thoughts about clocks. Read a bit more about the topic, it's really interesting.
>>
File: ThreeGreys.jpg (87 KB, 1000x733) Image search: [Google]
ThreeGreys.jpg
87 KB, 1000x733
>>54100088
who says we havent visited? faggot
>>
>>54100240
Can you offer any reading material?
>>
The first time travel hasn't happened yet so of course there wouldn't be any visitors.
Paradoxical I know.
>>
Time travel backwards is impossible
Forwards is easy as dicks, just fly around a massive body of gravity like the event horizon of a black hole.
>>
Not necessarily. As someone else just said, travelling back in time is impossible, and will never ever happen. Travelling forwards in time though, that is a possibility.

But if someone wanted to travel forward in time to, say, a hundred years in the future they'd have to leave everything in this world behind. Not a lot of people would do that, unless they have no one else that cares about them and that person just so happens to have a time machine.
>>
>>54100406
This, that actually sounds interesting
>>
>>54100088
Only a colossal moron would use a time travel machine. Even with additional basic necessary technology like the ability of being invisibile and undetectable it would still be extremely dangerous
>>
>>54100902
How come?
>>
File: 1460289781370.gif (1 MB, 232x201) Image search: [Google]
1460289781370.gif
1 MB, 232x201
>>54100088
I was just coming to see you OP... Bye.
>>
>>54100088
What if it is possible and no one tried just because of that?
>>
>>54100810
>Forwards is easy, just fly around a massive body of gravity like the event horizon of a black hole.
Eh, you can travel forwards through time without a black hole.
>>
>>54101188
[citation needed]
>>
>>54100878
>they'd have to leave everything in this world behind. Not a lot of people would do that
>Not a lot of people would do that

/r9k/ would disagree.
>>
>>54101439
>he does not in now satellites travel forward in time all the time
>>
>>54101835
The principle of course is what matters here. If a spacecraft travelled fast enough through space for a few years then returned to Earth, the astronauts would return to an Earth perhaps hundred

Wow
>>
>>54101928
Just sitting on my arse reading this thread time is moving forward.
>>
>>54100878
I'm willing to leave everything behind. Sign me up, fampai.
>>
>>54100910
Butterfly effect
>>
>>54101969
How can we prove the butterfly effect is real though?
>>
>>54102018
It has been proven using quantum mechanics and even simple weather forecasts as an example
>>
File: 1460856729744.png (10 KB, 391x416) Image search: [Google]
1460856729744.png
10 KB, 391x416
>Travel in time 200 years from now
>end up somewhere out in space because DUDE LOL GRAVITY
>>
File: 16.jpg (473 KB, 827x827) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
473 KB, 827x827
>>54101928
Astronauts coming back from long stays on the ISS have slowed down clocks relative to the rest of us (by millionths/billionths of a sec). They have literally moved forward in time faster than us. That's pretty much time travel right there.
>>
My pseudoscientific guess is time travel to the past is possible, you just need some type of gate/opening/portal. i.e. you can travel to arbitrary points in the past, only certain times/places.
>>
>>54100088
Or it could be we destroy our selfs before we even get to the point where we can time travel
>>
>>54100878
is this when indians travel forward in time to steal our jobs?
>>
Obviously there won't be anyone from the future, when they travel back they'd go to a different timeline.
>>
>>54100088
Time travel is possible, but we will destroy our planet before we master it.
>>
There are many possible scenarios that would permit some form of time travel but explain the lack of time travelers:

1. Multiple timeline/universe hypothesis. Whenever you travel in time, you could end up in a parallel universe with an independent timeline in which you can mess around in. If we have more universes than time travelers, the probability of getting one in ours could approach zero.

2. Zero probability of paradoxes (e.g. enforced through quantum mechanics or whatever). Maybe they can visit every part of the universe except those that would influence our ability to invent time travel.

3. Arbitrary time travel impossible, only travel between fixed points in spacetime. If so, it might just be that nobody has discovered a black hole or whatever it is you'd need close enough to us to reach the earth itself.

4. Only passive time travel possible (e.g. observation of past, without being able to interact)

5. Time travel possible but no race in the universe advanced enough to develop the technology before it dies out.

Also note that in general, time travel and faster-than-light travel are the same thing on the surface.
>>
We can't even achieve FTL travel let alone time travel.
>>
>>54102670
this
>>
>>54101969
Time travel to the past within the same time line its impossible unless you were meant to travel back and didn't change anything in the first place, otherwise you get a paradox.

There are 2 options:

1- Time isn't linear and if you can go back to 1950 its because its fixed in time, you will not change anything, you were already in 1950 and will be again, its a circle.

2- If you were aware of certain facts from the past and on purpose changed them, it would be like creating a clone of a person, but instead you are creating a clone of a timeline, up until the point you changed it (or created the clone in this analogy) the person/timeline are exactly the same, but from there the person/timeline go in different paths.

The clone was when it was created exactly the same as the original, but once it changed, it can never go back, meaning if you go back to the past and change something, by definition you would never EVER be able to return to your timeline, even if you went back to "fix" things you could never recreate every single aspect, you would only create a new timeline that resembles that you want to go back too, but even if you can't tell the difference, it wouldn't be the same one.

Either with option 1 or 2 you eliminate paradoxes traveling to the past.
>>
>>54102773
Dude, lay off the acid. Your fiction has no basis in reality.
>>
Nobody heard of John Titor?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Tbh, it's probably bullshit. But i want to believe because he had so many pictures, and remained consistent with his words. I also want to believe time travel is possible someday.
>>
>>54102807
It has basis on logic, its logically possible, it doesn't mean what I say is real or not.

A paradox can't happen, its like the classic question: What happens when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?

Answer: Nothing happens, one of them isn't what it says it is, period.
>>
There is only the present. That's why you can travel forward but not backwards.

Mystery solved.
>>
if someone actually did travel back in time im sure the govt would just capture them and make sure nobody ever finds out
>>
>>54102875
Why would anyone travel back in time and go to a useless place like the police state USA?
>>
This doesn't belong on /g/, fucking idiot children.
>>
When told what to do if they can go back in time a lot of people would want to make Google or Facebook. Do you think a fucking Havard dropout is a multimillionaire by chance? Every time traveler would just get rich and fuck bitched until his vacation ends and he has to go back for work.
>tfw we are just a playground/sandbox for time/timeplane travelers.
>tfw Hitler did it for the lulz, got bored then put a lead in his head
>>
>>54102718
>1. Multiple timeline/universe hypothesis. Whenever you travel in time, you could end up in a parallel universe with an independent timeline in which you can mess around in. If we have more universes than time travelers, the probability of getting one in ours could approach zero.

I would say its zero unless we are a clone timeline.

If a traveler goes back to the past to another timeline, it means he wasn't supposed to go back, so the only way he could end up in our timeline is if it was created when he arrived here.

That would mean that before that we didn't exist, we just think we did, like a clone of a person would.

Im the samefag that wrote this:

>>54102773
>>
>>54100088
>sci
back to >>>/sci/
>>
You can't travel back in time because the moment your foot touches the first blade of grass, you're in an alternate timeline. There's no way to undo this and you're ultimately fucked. You can NEVER return to you original timeline.
>>
>>54100088
>we are interesting enough to visit
>>
>>54102456
...oh shit
has anyone considered this before?
>>
>>54103017
>sci
More liek >>>/x/
>>
>>54100088
>implying I won't time travel to the future by going close to c
Maximum pleb.
>>
>>54103254
>going close to c
Dude, stay away from C, there are far better languages out there these days.
>>
>>54100878
sign me up
>>
>>54102773
There are more options.
>>
>>54103135
Unless you follow the idea of multiple dimensions and had some tether/portal that could lead you back to your own timeline. But nothing would change there and you would ultimately just be fucking around in an alternate/cloned timeline.
>>
Ok, I have my beer, tin foil hat and community college diploma in applied physics.
Lets do this.
So, some basics on time and relativity.
Time is considered constant and unfixable in most branches of science since for the conditions in witch most experiments are held.
So, queue the theory of special relativity (Albert E. 1905.)
I'll skip past the boring part and tell you that the energy needed to accelerate a particle is grater that the more speed you want to achieve, and said growth is roughly e^x.
Let's say you have a car and you throw a paper air plane out of that car. The speed of said airplane would be the cars speed + the velocity you apply.
Lets say you do this at the speed of light. Would it move faster than light. No. If would appear that is moves the same way as at normal speeds.
But for someone observing it from outside it would look like you both move at the same speed of light.
So it as assessable if the speeds never exceed this somehow time must be flexible.
cont.
>>
>>54100088
Donald Trump is a time traveler.
There is no other explanation why a racist white fuck would be doing so well against the full force of the media machine. The way he weasels out of sticky situations is impossible unless you know what the outcome will be beforehand.
>>
time travel to the past is only possible until the zero point, which is the invention of the time machine
>>
>>54100406
Look up time dilation.
>>
>>54100088
Dont worry, time is cyclical, everything youve lived until now will happen again and again for all eternity, you wont have any recollection of the past though, thankfully.
>>
>>54101955
This guy gets it
>>
>>54103560
So the faster you go the slower time passes but only for you.
Lets say you wanted to go backward in time.
You would need first reattach the speed of light. Witch in itself is impossible. Since the amount of energy needed for something with mass would go up to infinity. Theoretical if you pass the speed of light the time cooperation factor would be a negative number and as such you would go backwards. It's worth nothing that that time factor is only correct for real speeds. Speeds of up to about 10000m/s and pas that needs more precise corrections so it is possible that the formulas im familiar with are completely wrong at higher speeds.
>>
>>54103598
Shut up, Pajeet, he is not racist, you cant even prove it.
>>
>>54103681
Fuck you, Rajeet. Stop shilling for Trump-rupees, he doesn't care about non-whites
>>
Maybe it just works differently then what we usually imagine. Futurama has a nice spin on it where it only allows to go forward in time, never back and DBZ has the whole separate timeline thing where even if you'd go back in time you wouldn't end up in the same dimension as you started.
>>
File: 1451310872586.png (503 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451310872586.png
503 KB, 500x500
But what exactly is time? Is it the amount of change or entropy increment? Theorically you could turn time back on a broken egg, but how would you go around turning time back on massive scales like a planet? Physics says there are no rules preventing backwards looking processes from happening, but why does the arrow of time always point in the same direction?
>>
>>54103855
entorpy in thermodinamycs is not defined by time tahter it's defined by changes in energy.
Thermodynamics is wiered like that
>>
>>54103304
I would like to read them, like I'm really interested.
>>
It's unlikely that a time machine would be able to go back before it was created.
The simplest form of time travel is sending a message back in time. Once you can send a particle a few milliseconds or so back in time (which is "realistic"), you simply make a machine that can detect the particle and sends one back in time, sending the message further back. Therefore, if it's ever triggered before it's turned off, it will trigger as soon as the machine turns on. If it is never triggered, it won't turn on. Voila, you can now send binary. You need as many machines as you want bits of data.
Einstein and others devised more complex machines that could talk back and forth. I don't know about these.
Now, transmutation of matter to and from binary data... I don't know about that.
>>
>>54102822
>WW3 in 2015
>America in civil war from 2004-2015 that splits it into 5 parts
lmoa what the fuck
>>
>>54101439
time dilation impacts velocity as well
>>
>>54104534
when the government starts making massive electoral frauds against the donald shit will get real, just wait and watch
>>
>>54103855
Nobody knows this shit and nobody ever will

Don't listen to any faggots that think they know

Time is just the numbers that pop up when you press the power button on your phone. Nothing. More.
>>
>>54101439
As a matter of fact, you're actually doing it right now.
>>
>>54100240
But clocks tell time

Ignoring clocks is ignoring time
>>
>>54105674
Click don't tell time, they measure time differences.
>>
>>54101439
Nigga go to sleep and see how fast +/- 8 hours fly away
Now go to the dentist and hospital and get a shot of ko juice, you'll be out before you count to 2 and you however many hours it takes are gone in an instant to you
Now think about people who are so fucked up they get put in artificial comas. Days weeks even entire years can fly by and they have no clue
>>
Time travel is possible. On January 19 2038 the entire world will travel back to January 1 1970.
>>
It's not just time travel though...I don't have the numbers but the earth is moving.. Our solar system is moving and the galaxy is moving....If you travel back 10 minutes without moving your gonna land a long way from earth.
>>
>>54106089
Not for people who have updated their processor in the past 50 years.
>>
>>54102899

No Fun Allowed - The definitive post
>>
>>54100088
Don't you have to live trough the reality where we have not invented the time machine yet? The one that gets changed by time travel later if thinking of it in a linear fashion (eg. the actual traveler).
>>
>>54101439
Go really fast. Its time dilation. If you could travel at the speed of light, you would in theory not experience any time at all, you'd arrive at your destination instantly but those observing you'd take time to reach there. Tl;dr, if you move fast you don't experience time but those around you not.
>>
say the password /g/
E
L

P
S
Y
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.