[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: 1409697014196.jpg (147 KB, 1126x844) Image search: [Google]
1409697014196.jpg
147 KB, 1126x844
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: case help.png (11 KB, 1019x650) Image search: [Google]
case help.png
11 KB, 1019x650
>>54086324
Are GPU's pushing inward or down the air?

Also quick story time
>Bought the S340 case
>Everything is cool
>Install thermaltake PSU (Which is silent AF)
>But the Thermals went up so much my GPU doesn't have its 0 fan speed silent mod

Question 2: Should I install the last case fan in pic related (Front, bottom one) to gain cooler GPU?
>>
I forgot how to access sadpanda without using an addon or editing cookies, i used to do it all the time but now i cant acess it on my phone. Help pls
>>
Why does Chromium font look different from Firefox's if both are Times New Roman 16, and how can I fix this?
>>
Thinking about buy a new laptop to work with virtual machines and play some vidya on free time
Only have 500$ to spend
What mobos or brand for this is worth ?
Sorry for spaniard
>>
What Android phones allow me to root without losing the warranty, either officially or just because it can be done undetectably? I don't have a smartphone, but it's time I get one, plus I could really use it for work, but fuck buying shit don't own.

Something where rooting only voids the warranty for the software side, but not the hardware side, is totally cool too.
>>
>>54086583
Mobos
Laptop
500 currency

Vm games

Processing complete. A laptop with a dedicated gpu and 8gb of ram. Recommended type: thinkpad
>>
Thinking of buying a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor. Right now I have two GTX 670s in SLI. How well will these be able to run games on that resolution? I'll probably upgrade my GPUs by the end of the summer but I'd be buying the monitor within the next two weeks.
>>
>>54086613
None, all. You can umdo all roots. What does that even mean hardware software side? The software is provided as is
>>
I'm looking to upgrade, should I just buy an i5-6600k already or wait for zen or whatever? The waiting game is a struggle
>>
Can anyone recommand a decent free video editing tool with basic options sucj as text etc?

Just tried Openshot but it crashes for no reason. (my PC has totally decent specs)
>>
How come I can't boot into the windows setup (USB)? Whenever I select the USB-HDD or USB-FDD it just boots into Ubuntu anyways and the post screen don't say anything about booting from a USB.

>inb4 he fell for the Linux meme
>>
>>54086759
Shotcut
>>
>>54086618
Thank you, I'm thinking of memepad but I dont know if can play vidya smoothly
Sorry if I sound like a retarded but are there some graphic cards that can i install inside laptops ? Like removing the cd bay and use this space or something
>>
>>54086324
My internet works fine, I can go on 4chan, I can watch WebMs and all that. Everything works fine on my phone, too.

Whenever I try and go on YouTube, on Firefox or Internet Explorer, it says connecting, it loads, and loads, and then it times out. When somebody links YouTube, Hovering over it renders a blank image.

What could be some of the issues?
>>
>>54086848
Check hdd priority in boot menu, probly doesn't recognize it as a usb-hdd/fdd but hdd proper. Could be worth a shot.
>>
>>54087195
How would I do that
>>
I friend has an AOC monitor, can't remember the exact brand. Just recently, that monitor tipped over a small drop, popping off its outer bezel. There was absolutely no damage to the screen itself, and the bezel popped back on very easily.

It must have gotten snapped in partially incorrectly, because now the buttons on the bottom do not press in all the way. They used to have a clear click when pushed. This means we can't even turn it on to make sure it's working. We've tried to use a flathead screwdriver and a knife, but we can't pop that bezel back off no matter how hard we try. All it's doing is marking up the plastic. How should I go about this?
>>
>>54086933
Lmao

No. Just get a x20 or amd equivalent. Mobile gaming on anything but low is stupid. Although on that note what do you want virtualisation for?
>>
File: Rt-ticket-list.png (191 KB, 1046x681) Image search: [Google]
Rt-ticket-list.png
191 KB, 1046x681
Which ticket tracking system should I use for my personal life?
>>
>>54087218
Enter bios, boot settings, there should be boot device priority and maybe separate hard drive priority. Check it, if you have it, change the setting for usb to be on top.
>>
Kingston 8GB(2x4GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 MHz, CL15

Does this mean that it comes in 2 4gb ram sticks or 1 8gb?
>>
>>54087308
Did that didnt work
>>
>>54087242
Put some force to it. Worst thing that can happen is you breaking some plastic and gluing it back on. Get something really thin but strong, and try to use it as a lever, insted of just pushing apart.
There's also chance when the bezel snapped off you ripped out the button panel connector, might want to check if it didn't pop out of it's socket.
>>
>>54087316
>2x4GB
>2 modules
>of 4 GB
>>
Anybody here got a contract phone?
Is contract phones worth it? i mean its cheap dirt to get them not to mention you only pay small amount every month for phone+unlimited internet.?
>>
>>54087316
Gamers everybody
>>
I have three monitors connected to my windows 7 computer.
What free software do I have to get to set different wallpapers for each monitor?
>>
>>54087316
yes, 2pcs of 4gb hyperx fury ddr4 2666 mhz
but i recommend getting the 2133mhz one since its common and mhz meme in memory doesnt affect performance but instead you will get headaches of compatibility and configuring ram timing, in the end you look to yourself in the mirror and said i should have bought the 2133 one.
>>
Where do I download pirated apks?
>>
>>54087652
Google!
>>
>>54087637
Okay, thanks.
>>
Can anybody link me a good soldering iron from amazon.co.uk or .de ? I would like to practice and have something that isn't going to burn my house down.
>>
>>54087869
i got mine new for $2. works just fine. takes forever to heat up but $2 damn it.
>>
Is is possible with compton or another compositor to have different shadow colors for active and inactive windows?
>>
I was asked by someone to take texts off their simple flip phone (in what way exactly, I don't know) so they can use the messages as proof in a court case. I said that if the person denied ever sending the texts, just having what the words written in a text file would not be proof of anything and they would need to get official records from the phone carrier. Are phone records the only way to prove that in court, or is there another way I can take a text sent to a non-smartphone that contains some kind of provable identity of who sent it, or will it just be a text file?
>>
>>54087980
Well 4chan is the best place to ask for legal advice, a cell provider is the only way to show. Even a flip phone isnt proof
>>
The cable of the charger of my laptop is ruined.

I have another charger from an old laptop but the only difference is the amperage.

Current laptop:

Asus charger model ADP-65JH BB
Input 100-240v ~ 1.5A 50-60 Hz
Output 19v 3.42a

Old charger:
Gateway model 0335c1965
100-240v 50-60 Hz 1.7a
Output 19 v 3.42a

Would it be ok to use the old charger or is the .2a difference important?
>>
File: 1460920930526.jpg (216 KB, 986x393) Image search: [Google]
1460920930526.jpg
216 KB, 986x393
Do I pull the trigger?
>>
>>54088245
I think the MOBO isnt that great but yeah.
>>
>>54088227
that's input amperage. the output amperage is identical, that's what matters.
>>
Is Chromium botnet?
>>
>>54088297
i seem to post this every day
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
Google pushed an undetectable irremovable addon for "Ok Google" detection, last year. literally recording and uploading every word you say.
they do this on chromium for linux, god knows what they do for chrome.
>>
>>54088289

Thanks, so there should be no problem in the long run?
>>
>>54088273
What would be a better mobo for that pricepoint?
>>
which speed matters most for a micro sd card in a phone?
sequential or smaller random reads/writes?
>>
>>54088360
Thats not really botnet and every android phone has this anyway
>>
what the fuck is docker and how do i make the simplest node app run on it?
>>
>>54088415
nah
>>54088470
my point is; they could push other binary code to it that is not open source. making the open source status of chromium virtually useless.
>>54088457
if you're recording/playing video then sequential. if you're playing games or running apps off the sd card then the other one.
>>
Where's a good place to download missing dll files? Ex: d3dx9.dll missing when I'm trying to run a Snes emulator
>>
I need to filter all stuttering in regex.
I have come up with the following:
/[A-z]-[A-z]/

This will filter posts containing things like "Y-you" or "C-Cute".
However, it will also filter posts that contain "ctrl-z" because l-z matches the pattern.
How do I improve the regex pattern to only match two of the same characters repeating, like a-a, y-y, c-c?
>>
>>54088619
>/[A-z]-[A-z]/
just use
 /^[A-z]-[A-z]/ 

i. e. starts with a letter that is repeated
you're out of luck if you stutter mid-word too. state machines like regex simply can't have history like that. you'd have to specify every possible combination/
>>
>>54088733
Right, that should do, pretty easy solution actually. Thanks
>>
>>54086464
Yes, that fan is gonna help with gpu temps, also why not turn the psu around so its drawing air from under the case and pushing it out from the back
>>
File: 1435974499706.gif (580 KB, 280x211) Image search: [Google]
1435974499706.gif
580 KB, 280x211
Got a pen-test apprenticeship. Whats a good EDC laptop for kali or black-arch. What does /g/ use?
>>
File: 4eca2213b8[1].png (5 KB, 576x110) Image search: [Google]
4eca2213b8[1].png
5 KB, 576x110
Having a problem with Microsoft Project.
I've finished planning project and was ready to print/export it, however the key isn't showing up properly.

It shows the bars/deadline visuals however there is no explanation what they show, pic related. For example the red bars show the critical path, black goalpost things task summaries.

Can anyone help me out? I'd have thought the key would be standard and wouldn't change.
>>
Can someone post the infographic that shows how centralized the Internet has become over the years? It shows a visual representation of websites visited throughout the years, with major ones like twitter and youtube becoming huge and crowding out the smaller websites
>>
File: act.jpg (71 KB, 394x566) Image search: [Google]
act.jpg
71 KB, 394x566
Should I activate windows 10 ltsb n ?
>>
>>54087251
Need virtualize for my job and use some vm with ubuntus or virtual desktops and some like that, not very strongs virtualizations
>>
>>54089051
Why not dualboot then
>>
>>54089031
>>>/g/rqt
>>
>>54088429
mobo is fine anon, good cops imo
>>
can I combine an AMD card with an Nvidia card? I only want Nvidia for Shadowplay, but I can't afford a 970 to replace my 290, and a 960 isn't good enough
>>
>>54089294
O b s
B
S
>>
>>54088429
Mobo is not that bad but a GA-Z170X-UD5
>>
How do I make firefox, or any of my applications for that matter, those that aren't system things like bash or vim, use Terminus. I know terminus has extra characters so i wont get the codes with boxes anymore. I got Terminus for my system shit like vim and awesome but firefox uses default bullshit cant change to Terminus in the gui settings- font
>>
Any /g/uide on de-bloating Windows 8.1 similar to this one:

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_7_de-bloating

?
>>
File: chromenewtab.png (30 KB, 349x574) Image search: [Google]
chromenewtab.png
30 KB, 349x574
Is there a way to edit this menu in chrome?
>>
>>54089341
Do the exact same thing. Why do you want it "debloated" anyway
>>
I have bunch of 3,5" floppy-discs and i want to remove all data thats in them. I have lots of drives but i never used floppys in my youth. Any easy way to fully remove data so it's not possible to retrieve? My dad (OG-engineer) says it's possible to read bits and recover data if only formatted.
>>
>>54089381
prob could just look at the themes/plugins for chrome. I'm sure someone somewhere has thought the same thing and already did it
>>
>>54089322
>vaporwave

meme/10
>>
>>54086324
what do i look for in speakers? like, what qualities does good speakers have? high watt usage?
its like this thing everyone knows for some reason
>>
>>54089381
>using the botnet
>>
>>54089419
i figured the mongolian meme magazine forum would recognize it.
>>
Good a place as any to ask.

After a certain period of running, my desktop will go black screen, whatever sound was playing that instant will stutter for a few seconds, and the computer will hard reboot. I have not changed the hardware, is my PSU fucked or is it a software thing? [spoiler]If it's the former I probably have a mummy's curse or something.[/spoiler]
>>
Just did a Silicon Valley movie marathon (watched all three for the first time, too):
>Pirates of Silicon Valley (1999)
>Steve Jobs (2015)
>The Social Network (2010)
I've never studied programming and I suck at math but I've had a passing interest in that sort of stuff and a huge respect for it seeing as how much of our lives are tech-focused nowadays.
When I got to the opening scene of The Social Network where he exploits the way the university webpages store their pictures, I thought that holy shit, being tech savvy can be really fucking cool. The way these people can navigate with such ease through the world of computers and networking with such intuition blows me away.
My optimism dwindled when I thought about all the boring fundamental shit that many other people like me encounter head-on in their newfound interest in computers and promptly give up.
Then I realized I'm one of those people and I have come to this conclusion many times before - man, fuck spending weeks until I can play code like a fiddle and nerd fizzbuzz shit.
Why did I make this post? I don't know. I'm just spitting pointless words into the void at this point and hoping the void replies something back.
>>
File: Untitled.png (501 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
501 KB, 1920x1080
>>54089389
I want W7 interface with classic shell; was just wondering if there's a guide or an info-graphic for it.

Look at this shit, it's so ugly.
>>
>>54089455
like, does it turn off in an instant?
>>
>>54089434
Well my university wants me to use gmail and drive for stuff.
Botnet browser is faster than firefox.
Also i use drive from my phone.
>>
>>54089503
>fizzbuzz
>weeks
>>
>>54089508
Don't use the Windows menu.
Use Win+S
>>
>>54089521
>Botnet browser is faster than firefox.
Obviously it's faster for their own services.
Like Windows and Internet Explorer...
>>
>>54089503
>oh boo hoo I 'can't be instantly great at everything I take an interest in

also what's a silicon valley marathon without anti trust. sure it's not a biopic like the others but the overall story rings true
>>
>>54089508
Classic shell disables the menu thing. Gives you a proper start button as well.
>>
>>54089586
though if you decide you need to get to metro for anything it's shift click on the windows button
>>
>>54089577
>>oh boo hoo I 'can't be instantly great at everything I take an interest in
yep, pretty much, lel
well at least i've found my passion in which to invest countless hours into - art.
juggling art fundamentals and programming would be a weird combo, though
>>
>>54089088
I dualboot debian and windows usually, but not all vms are of mine, i test vms of some clients and use the vsphere workstation in my job so need virtuallize desktops sometimes
>>
>>54089518
The black screen/stuttering lasts for about 5 seconds, then it suddenly turns off and back on (with maybe ~2 seconds between the off and on). It comes down to if the stuttering is consistent with power failure or if my drivers or whatever got fucked. If it's the latter I've been intending on doing a clean install on my new SSD anyway so no worries, if it's the former I'll have to shell out for a PSU.

It's probably not my newish GPU since it's happened when watching Youtube videos, but if it is I'll be pissed as fuck.
>>
>>54089618
not wierd, doing things that are unrelated or even opposed to each other, makes you a well rounded individual, don't force yourself to be one dimensional just because you think others would think you were weird for pursuing your interests. also what kind of art? art is kind of a vague term that could mean lots of shit
>>
>>54088615
>d3dx9.dll missing
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=8109
>>
>>54089613
Yes.

The question is did anyone benefit from the addition of the metro thing
>>
>>54088615
What SNES emulator that you need to download D3DX9.dll? it should come with it.

Donwload Snes9X 1.51 or 1.53.
>>
File: skull.jpg (301 KB, 1000x737) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
301 KB, 1000x737
>>54089687
well, not the symbolic period-blood painting of a vagina performance art type
y'know, traditional stuff
here's something i drew 5 years ago
i do have this pipe dream of learning programming and making a game combined with my art skills
>>
I noticed my brother's current Steam handle is Cersei Lannister. Is this cause for concern?
>>
>>54089894
he has taste. Lannisters are by far the most interesting.
>>
>>54089885
not as much of a pipe dream as you might think, just modify it a bit. why do all the work yourself, become a digital artist. lots of folk, especially independent devs contract out the sprites/artwork etc..
>>
>>54089894
He's a Steamfag, makes sense he's a GoTfag too. The whole millennial package.
>>
>>54089315
>Giga

Not even once.

>>54089257
Cops?
>>
File: Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg (52 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg
52 KB, 500x329
>>54090002
>>
>>54088774
But thats how it is. Just the fans are pretty slow/silent and the heat output lowered

My older PSU (Fucking Chieftec) had a very loud but at least good airflow PSU
>>
>>54090032
cops = purchases
>>
>>54090270
Are you American? Who the fuck says COPS.
>>
File: 1309737594024.jpg (245 KB, 465x563) Image search: [Google]
1309737594024.jpg
245 KB, 465x563
can I make subtitles with VLC? how?
I need to put some subtitles to a short video.
>>
If I'm doing a new intel build, is devils canyon still worth it over skymeme?
>>
Is there any real free (no credit card required) VPN service? I don't care if they limit bandwidth as long as they actually work.
>>
I'm having trouble connecting an old mac to my wireless network. It is currently running 10.0.3. When I enter the password, it tells me I've entered the wrong password, even though I'm 100% certain it's the right one.
>>
>>54090528
tor
>>
>>54090707
Tor is not a vpn.
>>
Best torrent client for Windows?

Currently using Deluge, but it does not let me select a download location for each torrent and it doesn't let me select certain files to download when a torrent is added (cause sometimes torrents are filled with useless text files or sample videos that I don't need).

uTorrent 2.2.1 is old as fuck now but I don't want to use any newer build.
qBittorrent has this 'stalling' meme floating about. Can someone explain this?
Tixati is similar to Deluge
Transmission is shit on Windows afaik.

Any other options?
>>
A lighting hit near my house and burned my mobo, I connected me regular setup (vga monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers) to a laptop with these specs:
Intel Atom N550
1 GB ddr3

How can I have fun with this shit? I already masturbated and I can't even watch youtube in full screen
>>
Should I root my Galaxy Note 4? I'm afraid of the disputed danger of 'bricking' it.

What are the odds of fucking up an online step-by-step instructions assuming I'm not a complete moron? The main reason is to install Adaway, among other interesting options.
>>
>>54090748
You can't
>>54090782
Do it, it's piss easy
>>
>>54090746
>transmission is shit on windows afaik
well then you know wrong, also if you have a linux box as well, then just use the transmission webui to control it from your windows box
>>
>>54088273
Is this a better mobo than >>54088245

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132261&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-LogicalIncrements.com%20Inc-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0
>>
>>54090746
The stalled maymay comes from the "Stalled" status qBit assigns to some torrents. Usually happens for a couple of seconds when you just added the torrent (think of it as "Starting" status), or torrents with zero seeding peers. Some users have reported torrents stalling randomly, but I've never experienced it personally, and I've been using qBit for several months now. Don't know how well it'd work with too many torrents, I only have around 200 at any given time and never had any issues. My only gripe with it is that it assigns double the size of any torrent on your hard drive when you're downloading it, so if you don't have much space that could be a problem.

Transmission got its official Windows port a couple of weeks ago, should work just as well as the Linux version.
>>
Is there a way to get rid of that double-slide drop-down menu on Android Lollipop? I want it to fully deploy with a single finger slide
>>
What's the best thermal tape to get for the VRAM on a GPU? The current stuff on my 7870 is all fucked up and fluffy.
>>
>>54090892
What phone? Most custom ROMs will have quick pull-down on the right side of the screen, CM does at least.
>>
>>54086324
Our university had a shit-tier programming languages class. (or whatever class covers the concepts of a programming language and the different models of programming)
Turns out knowing this stuff is pretty important to being a well-rounded, flexible software engineer. Does /g/ have a recommended book?
>>
>>54090936
Moto E 2nd gen, no custom ROM, still bootlocked.
>>
>>54091068
Moto E 2015 has quite the development community, go check XDA. There's a few good CAF/CM ROMs you can choose from, even a Marshmallow one I think.
>>
>>54086324
>I'm a stupid faggot neckbeard and I've invented and excuse to belittle people that ask questions.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>54086324
is it ok to order from frozencpu?
I remember that they used to be great, I order from them in the past but the the owner got addicted to whores and meth or something and the whole thing went under for a while and wouldnt ship orders
now they seem like they're back, is this the case?
>>
Will rooting/flashing a smartphone remove the SIM lock?

I got a phone that is locked to some shitty provider, how the fuck do i make it go away?
>>
>>54091092
Yeah, I know, but I'm happy enough with the stock ROM it came with. I take it there's no way to get rid of the double-pull-down then?
>>
has anyone ever tried further sound proofing the define series from fractal?
specifically the r4 or r5
could it be done? or would it just be a waste of time and money?
I was thinking that some of the more poofy foam might help, especially along the roof and floor
>>
>>54091202
No. At least where I live you can just go to the provider you want to switch to, and ask them to unlock your phone. They hardly ever turn a new customer down.
>>
File: 856.png (180 KB, 1275x530) Image search: [Google]
856.png
180 KB, 1275x530
What's the difference between these?

Also, what are some really good high end RAM.
>>
File: _R70O28.png (193 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
_R70O28.png
193 KB, 500x504
Hey guys

I just created a booru site using booru.org and I am having some issues with the parent/child post relationships.

For some reason child posts are not showing up when searched for, or even when browsing regularly. Is there a way to fix this?

I checked the support forum on booru.org and there doesn't appear to be any threads on the matter.
>>
Is there an android app that can loop through a folder in a slideshow, displaying pictures and video?
>>
when making a bootable usb stick to install linux from, do i just put the iso file in there or the contents of the iso file in there?
>>
>>54091556
Neither. Go to the website of the distro you want to make the bootable USB of and read through their tutorial.
>>
My internet works fine, I can go on 4chan, I can watch WebMs and all that. Everything works fine on my phone, too.

Whenever I try and go on YouTube, on Firefox or Internet Explorer, it says connecting, it loads, and loads, and then it times out. When somebody links YouTube, Hovering over it renders a blank image.

What could be some of the issues?
>>
>>54091584
Not him but how do i do that for architect arch?
>>
>>54090748
>>54090795
>You can't
I seriously can't find anything fun to do with this, I guess I could watch a movie or something but I had all of them in my HDD that I can't access. What's a good site to watch something online?
>>
>>54091502
the MHZ is different - the speed at which your ram can transfer to and from your system

Higher MHz is better on the same type of "ram", but it is limited by your motherboard. If your motherboard supports 3,000MHz you get a peformance boost. If not, the ram scales back its transfer speed.

cant help you with what ram is gud because I dont know enough.
>>
>>54091556
just the ISO,

You formatted the stick already, right? If you didn't this works good and is idiot proof. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
>>
File: blue_clockwork_bot.jpg (18 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
blue_clockwork_bot.jpg
18 KB, 280x280
Hey people, first time poster here.
I was out for the whole day, and when i got back i found my computer off. Which is weird, considering my habits.
Long story short, my mother had to do some petty works and turned off my computer, but not my monitor.
Now, whenever i try to turn it on, it does for...1 second, then blacks out almost completely; if i turn it against the light and such,i can see some outlines of it actually working.
Since my mother has gotten pretty pissy on it ("I just turned it off, it couldn't be me!"), now i require calm help. It worked this morning, what could've happened? Leaving it "on" without ant control might've burned something on the inside? I have no clue, sincerely. I knew that monitors should usually be turned off right after pc does, but i never actually heard about an aftermath like this.
>>
>>54091628
>good
>online
No such thing
>>
>>54086324
On Manjaro, how do I set it so that "pacman" automatically aliases to "sudo pacman"?
>>
>>54091607
You have to "burn" the ISO file to the USB like if it was a CD. See >>54091661
>>
>>54091665
Did you try turning it off and back on again?
>>
>>54086324
Anyone else have problems with OneeChan+4ChanX in Pale Moon?

Just reinstalled this PC and installed Pale Moon (Wangblows 10 because I need it for work) and while I initially used a Chrome fork (which had no problems), I just installed Pale Moon and OneeChan won't work.

No icon appears, the menu that's supposed to appear won't either.
>>
>>54091697
Yes, several times. Any time i do so,it appears normally for a second, maybe 2, then it blacks out almost completely. From the front, you couldn't tell, but if seen from above and quite carefully, there are the outlines.
>>
How the fuck do I pick a text editor?

I've been trying to pickup vim, and I kind of get why someone would use it. it's kind of hard at the begging, but I'm working on it. But I'm not sure if it isn't way overmy head for me. But atom/code etc seem like shitty alternatives. Sublime seems okay, but not so sure on how it fits my workflow. Does sublime have a vim mode? Is it good/worth using?
>>
I dun goofed by getting an Athlon 860k along with an ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+. This board can't overclock worth shit. What's a better FM2+ board that won't break the bank?
>>
File: 20160417_193816-1.jpg (3 MB, 2759x1812) Image search: [Google]
20160417_193816-1.jpg
3 MB, 2759x1812
What is this telling me to do?

I opened the console but im not sure the directory path.

My USB is E:
>>
>click link that says NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
>Amazon says it's MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 980

What the fuck? I want NVIDIA not MSI.
>>
>>54091749
use official wiki from arch for such things, not thrid party shit.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media
>>
>>54086483
You don't.

>>54086484
Different rendering engine. Unless you feel like forking both and spending over 9000 hours editing their code, you don't.

>>54086688
Whatever you buy is outdated the day you get it.
I'd say wait, save in the mean time and grab the next i7 with the extra saved money.

>>54087184
Switch between Flash or HTML5 playback, perhaps?

>>54087284
Sticky notes on your monitor.

>>54087535
Can you afford to pay for your phone without taking a major hit to your wallet or having to save up for years?
Can you be sure that you have enough disposable income to pay for a contract for 1 to 2 years?
If not, either buy a budget model phone (if you don't do much else but text, email, and call).

>>54090495
No.

>>54090341
To cop; copping something.

>>54090746
uTorrent 2.2.1

>>54091739
Notepad++ on Windows.
GNU nano on Linux in the Terminal.
>>
advice for buying a thinpad on ebay please. i want a windows 7 or xp machine that can play 1080p flawlessly
>>
>>54091709
Who's the artist?
>>
>>54091794
why the fuck would you want a reference card?
>>
>>54091831
i also want ZEROOOOOO
overheating issues and i want it as lightweight as possible
>>
>>54091864
A what?
>>
>>54091828
I'll try that. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>54086324
I'm messing around with my css in 4chan x and for some reason image expansion no longer works. I'm using the april fools css with changed colors.

Anybody know whats up?
>>
Is there any kind of app on Android that really helps save battery?
>>
File: NFC-tag[1].jpg (607 KB, 801x599) Image search: [Google]
NFC-tag[1].jpg
607 KB, 801x599
My local transport gives out NFC cards for free as part of the subway system.

Can I just get a bunch of these instead of buying NFC tags online? What's the difference?
>>
I accidently installed windows 10. What do I do to remove all the spyware,malware and other bullshit ?
>>
>>54091896
Ah ok, ill try to explain how this works

Nvidia or AMD or whoever design a card right? In this case a GTX 980. That name literally only applies to the chipset, the tiny bit that does all the math and shit on the inside.

Nvidia then sells/licenses these chipsets to other manufacturers, who figure out ways to eek out as much preformance as possible at different price points. Some are better than others.

A reference card is just Nvidia's own attempt.

They make more money off licensing as as a result don't bother too much, and wont make a shitload of cards. As a result they cost more and usually preform worse but look prettier.

An MSI 980 literally IS a geforce GTX980 just the fans and other shit they wrap around the chip.

There is nothing wrong with MSI.
>>
What virtual console do i use with arch?

Im using a t420
>>
>>54086484
>Times New Roman
Times New Roman is a propriatory font (companies have to pay a license fee to use it in their products). I haven't looked at Chrome or FF, but I'm guessing that they each use a font that they each made to look like Times New Roman (basically ripping it off) so that they wouldn't have to pay.

That's probably why the fonts don't match, they're two independent fonts made by two different companies (Google and Mozilla) with the intention of looking like TNR (so there's be small differences between them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_New_Roman#Free_alternatives

A lot of the popular fonts are copyrighted, Arial is another famous example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrzJYpS5WQ
>>
>>54092010
uninstall windows 10, theres a way to undo it.
>>
>>54091967
Not really. Your best bet is to avoid having too many apps running on the background, and using auto screen brightness so you save a bit when it's dark.
>>
What makes a modern processor at say 3 GHz faster than an older processor at a higher speed?
>>
>>54092068
>>54091967

also delete any apps that are known to be shitty battery hogs, like facebook. Use the mobile site if you must still pretend to be a member of the general public.
>>
Is there any way to test my motherboard's performance?
I've been getting 0% - 100% load spikes in every demanding game so I thought my GPU (R9 390) was fucked so I sent it in for an RMA.
Just got it back and tested it but I'm still getting the load spikes always.

How do I know if it's my motherboard causing the problem? Could the PCIE slots be all fucked up?

I'm at a loss and I'm mad, haven't played a video game in fucking months.
>>
>>54092100
Im no expert but in essence every clock cycle they are doing more, and doing it efficiently.

The guy sprinting with 1 bucket to put out a fire will not get as much done as 4-5 guys with a bucket each jogging right behined him.
>>
What's the best way for a bot to beat CAPTCHA or reCAPTCHA without using human farms?
>>
>>54092183
Makes sense I was curious because I saw one of the new i5's was only 2.7 GHz which seems ancient to me, even thought I know I should see a difference between it at my 4 GHz 860k cpu
>>
>>54092122
Have you checked your pagefile size? If its too small windows goes retarded.
>>
>>54086324
Hey guys.
How does one use an Nvidia Tesla for gayman?
It is my understanding that unless your Tesla or motherboard has a video port, another Nvidia card is required.

> I-It's too expensive! Just buy a GeForce!
Yeah, shut the fuck up.
There is pretty much zero information on how to do this because of responses like these.
>>
>>54092218
Yeah its any easy misconception to make, also why pretty much every company stopped advertising clock speeds a few years back.
>>
>>54092219
says mine is currently 5376 MB, is this fine or should I change it?
>>
>>54092227
>Nvidia Tesla
You cant, you can only maybe transfer over physx calculations and shit like that which nobody wants to spend 20,000$ to undertake satisfy your halfassed curiosity.
>>
>>54092100
Clock multiplier, core count, die size, cache, and instruction sets, you fucking retard.
That's why a Pentagram 4 isn't on the same tier as an i7 series processor.
>>
Now that Whatsapp uses end to end encryption by default, is it supposedly as private as Telegram or whatever other alternative?
>>
How does the older surface line hold up in 2016? Tried an RT but it was way under powered. Would a Surface 2/ Ultrabook be a good combo?
>>
File: TayTweets - Microsoft.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
TayTweets - Microsoft.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
Is there a tool to turn my photo to this cool style like Tay's (Microsoft chat bot)?
>>
Is firefox dead? It's so bad with plugins and memory management.
>>
>>54092322
>nobody wants to spend 20,000$ to undertake satisfy your halfassed curiosity.
> 20,000$
Old Teslas are cheap as fuck, dipshit.

>You cant, you can only maybe transfer over physx calculations and shit like that
Are you sure?
Couldn't you reflash the BIOS like some fags do with other cards?
>>
>>54092339
No.
>>
How long do you guys predict it will take for the 980s and 980tis to drop down in price?
>>
>>54092279
that should be fine (if anything you could shrink it and be ok),

Try installing GPU-Z to measure VRM temps and see if you get weird spikes.

Another issue is your PSU might be fucking up with a consistent 12v line, do you know anyone with a multimeter?

I dont know enough about motherboard issues that could be causing it.
>>
>>54092031
Is there a version of this card made by NVidia? Are there any downsides to buying a reference card?

Should I buy the 970 made by NVidia themselves?
>>
>>54092374
style seems likes its called "Vaporwave" so try there
>>
>>54092426
5ever
>>
>>54092495
There doesn't seem to be any downsides.
I bet reference cards get better support.
>>
File: 1460939603647.jpg (326 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
1460939603647.jpg
326 KB, 2592x1944
I took apart my tablet laptop. I think the battery died. I'm not interested in having it as a laptop again and am currently using my desktop with my laptop's hard drive as my former hard drive was wiped. Is there a way to convert the screen into a tablet to draw on for my computer seeing how it is the lap top had drive and retained all the drivers and such? I've had it for 8 years by the way.
>>
>>54092520
Im thinking about getting something cheap like a 960 to hold me off if the wait for a price drop in 980s will be short enough.
>>
I've been using a lenovo laptop with a broken screen running out to a monitor through HDMI. Instead of mirroring the display, I've been just using the "display on screen 2" option.

I decided to switch the orientation to portrait today but discovered that I couldn't change the orientation in windows when I have it set to only to use display 2 in windows 10. Orientation is just grayed out until I change it to 'mirror displays'.

is there a way to change orientation when just using the second monitor?

I have the option to revert back to windows 8 if I do a factory reset but I'm not sure if that will even work.
>>
File: test.gif (27 KB, 400x691) Image search: [Google]
test.gif
27 KB, 400x691
>>54092428
I ran a render test through GPU-Z, still getting the spikes.
I do have a multimeter actually.

Thank you for the help by the way, I tried asking at Tom's Hardware but they weren't any help at all. dude literally said "lol idk I don't use amd"
>>
>>54092556
New cards age going to be coming out in a few months, and no doubt gaymerfags are going to be selling their older high-tier shit so they can upgrade.
Chances are prices are going to be high one month before release, spike at release, then die down a month after release and stabilize a month after that.
>>
>>54092596
Do you have power savings disabled in the AMD control panel.
>>
>>54092510
Hm, I need a tool...
>>
Looking to get a 2nd monitor that I can place it vertically. Not sure if it's better to buy one that can do it or get a mount for it. Looking for one under $200 and has an HDMI port, or if someone can recommend a good mount+monitor.
>>
File: shamrock-307445_640.png (65 KB, 592x640) Image search: [Google]
shamrock-307445_640.png
65 KB, 592x640
I have not discovered yet how to make AppchanX filter case-insensitive.
Can someone explain, please?
>>
>>54092634
Do you think 2GB of vram will be good enough to play games at 1080p? Particularly Dark souls III? Because I am spotting a sick deal on ebay right now that I may try to win...
>>
>>54092537
Why is the 980 by MSI like $300 cheaper than the NVidia made one?
>>
>>54092673
What card, a 950 can hold almost 60FPS max settings, so it shouldn't be hard for any other card.
>>
>>54092673
> 1080p
gross
And it depends if it is GDDR3 or GDDR5.

But yeah, I guess.

>>54092678
Buying directly from the manufacturer is always more expensive.

Maybe wait until the next generation comes out, then buy a reference card from them?
>>
>>54092689
960 2gb
>>
>>54092495
>Is there a version of this card made by NVidia?
yes
>Are there any downsides to buying a reference card?
More expensive, and run hotter
>Should I buy the 970 made by NVidia themselves?
Do you really want to spend 25% more for an inferior product over one made by MSI/EVGA? Do extra letters in the titles of things scare you? These arent some chinese knockoffs.
The only thing ive heard is to stay away from ZOTAC ones.
Nvidia doesnt even advertise their reference cards on their own store, they list the partners first.
>>
>>54092403
Can you please explain why? Isn't this kind of encryption "safe"?
>>
File: 1445472185126.png (121 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1445472185126.png
121 KB, 300x300
anyone have the guide for visual novels on linux?
>>
>>54092732
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bskn6L8cBi4
>>
>>54092638
Do you mean Catalyst or the Radeon Settings? I can't find it in either, honestly.
>>
>>54092762
Somewhere in the new control panel.
>>
>>54092746
good enough for me!
>>
>>54092537
>>54092495
Consumer grade reference cards don't any get extra support, only workstation stuff.
>>
>>54086324
What's it like being a Windows 10 insider? I am desperate for extensions on edge and the Linux subsystem, but I don't want a buggy piece of shit for a computer. Will my computer still be reliable if I become an insider? I need my computer to complete my CS degree and do work.
>>
>>54092569
I think you do this through your graphics utility instead of the Windows display application itself.
>>
>>54092739
whatsapp is owned by facebook, its not safe
>>
File: 1432506470810.jpg (165 KB, 682x674) Image search: [Google]
1432506470810.jpg
165 KB, 682x674
I want to have two computers connected to my Ethernet at the same time. I'm using a D-Link in order to have a better connection (and so I don't have to have long cables running through my house from my living room).

Unfortunately the D-Link only has one Ethernet socket so for now I can only plug one computer into the Ethernet.

I thought I could get a splitter or something like that but I keep reading mixed things about how I wont be able to use the internet on both devices at the same time if I do this (which I need to be able to do). Is there anything I can get so that I can take the one plug from my D-Link and then send two plugs to my two other computers so they also have Ethernet?
>>
>>54092865
Not safe for pedophiles like you.
>>
File: 1340750393739254.jpg (25 KB, 566x430) Image search: [Google]
1340750393739254.jpg
25 KB, 566x430
Is 2/4 cpu good enough for gaming these days?
Going from i3 to i5 would cost me 100€ more, which is bad since I'm already over my budget by like 50€
>>
File: test2.png (831 KB, 1099x800) Image search: [Google]
test2.png
831 KB, 1099x800
>>54092769
is this it? I just disabled it.
Seems like I'm getting more power output but still getting the spikes and not a fluid flow.
>>
>>54092678
Because nvidia already made money off MSI's card by licensing the tech
They have ZERO incentive to undercut a company that is giving them money.
>>
>>54092885
nice projection, sven
>>
>>54092899
yes
>>
>>54092899
Just get the i5 it'll last you a little longer.
>>
File: enff.jpg (15 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
enff.jpg
15 KB, 316x202
>look at getting a 1440p monitor
>they're around $300

>Nexus 6p has a 1440p screen the fraction the size of a desktop monitor (and thus it's harder to produce a screen of that pixel density)
>it's barely twice the cost of a 1440p monitor even though it has all those other, expensive smartphone components in it + a way higher pixel density

Shouldn't desktop monitors be cheaper now? I'm tired of my phone being the highest resolution screen I own. When will decent 1440p monitors be around ~$200? And how long until 4k is affordable?
>>
Is vodka and coke a thing?
>>
>>54093000
>Anything over 1080 is a really bad meme
>>
>>54091873
>lightweight
>doesn't overheat
>plays 1080p

If this even exists, I'd like to know. I don't think I've ever come across a portable device that doesn't overheat under load.
>>
>>54093017
No
You can mix vodka with pretty much anything and it'll taste nice, except coke
Unless you're talking about cocaine in which case yes, yes it is a thing
>>
>>54093045
Thanks, I'll keep em separate.
>>
My first try of installing Arch failed miserably.

Gonna give it another go.

How do I make sure my Thinkpad's red button will work

and what graphical environment should I use? I chose cinnamon, good call?
>>
>built my computer early January
>it's been running 100% fine since
>wake up yesterday
>vid related
https://youtu.be/9IWjlpdSXj8
>reseated everything
>no change

I also tried just shorting the power switch on to mobo and got the same results.

My wife has a 650 G2 (opposed to the GS in my computer) and I swapped those out just to get this result
https://youtu.be/VLAI8e9klxA
When I flip on the power switch on the PSU.

Mine flat out did nothing in hers (didn't even power the light on the mobo) when I swapped them. The PSU's are very similar and the cables are all the same so I shouldn't need to swap those too to test the PSU should I? I read that I should try testing my PSU with a miltumeter but the problem is when I went to do that I noticed that none of the wires are colored. Every guide on how to do it involved color coded wires.

Full specs for my PC:
>Rosewill R5 case
>Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU fan
>EVGA GS 650w
>XFX Radeon R9 380X
>ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Mobo
>AMD FX-8320
>G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4)
>Seagate 1TB HDD
>Mushkin 240GB SSD

pls help.
>>
>>54093061
Skip Arch and get Manjaro. It has most of the benefits of Arch without nearly as much of the hassle. It's what Ubuntu should be, IMO.
>>
>>54086324
I want to get a Mac but I want to be able to add expansion cards and I don't want shit laptop hardware. Is a used Mac Pro a good option?
>>
I currently have an unopened 650 TI and I'm thinking of buying a 970. How much better is the 970 roughly?

I just want to max out Overwatch when it comes out. Do I really need a high end card for it?
>>
File: Nk7WJhQ.jpg (17 KB, 270x320) Image search: [Google]
Nk7WJhQ.jpg
17 KB, 270x320
>>54091548

> remove a bunch of posts.

> it doesn't actually remove them it just hides them

> now there are 13 pages worth of hidden posts

What the actual fuck is wrong with this booru engine?
>>
>>54092785
>>54092910
Okay, I've never heard or knew what reference cards were until today so pardon me asking these questions.

So; REFERENCE is the original card made by AMD or NVidia while say and EVGA 970 is the exact same card just with custom things like added fans to help cooling?
>>
>>54093229
Correct.
>>
>>54092844
that was the answer. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question. It worked perfectly.
>>
What's the best way to buy stuff online without a display model to review? I want to get a large 1440 Asus monitor but when I drove miles up north to my local Micro Center and the display model was pretty meh compared to the online device.

I also see nice comp chairs online, but surprise surprise ended up feeling like a old shitty wooden chair.

Thoughts? Reviews are sometimes too good to be true.
>>
>>54093257
Jesus I feel like an idiot. So the point of buying reference would be cheaper but at the cost of heat. How would you know if reference is okay for you?
>>
>>54093282
Reference cards push the heat from the back of the case, aftermarket cooler cards push the heat inside the case which you need to push out.

Reference cards are better for SLI configurations.
>>
>>54093329
Or you want to watercool the card too since most watercooling blocks will use the reference pcb as design but there are some that use aftermarket pcbs too so you should look into it before buying.
>>
>>54093329
I have a Silverstone FT02 so the tray is turned 90 clockwise.
>>
File: 1399308981264.jpg (772 KB, 3319x2600) Image search: [Google]
1399308981264.jpg
772 KB, 3319x2600
I found a Viewsonic p220f new in the box about 3 months ago.

It was great until it died. now it turns on with no picture and it makes a crackling noise

anyone have an idea what the problem is?

someone mentioned that the transformer might be dead. if so, is it replaceable?

thank you for your time
>>
>>54093353
Just get an aftermarket one, Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI are good for nvidia in that order.
>>
>>54093364
Thanks man you've been a huge help.

I just need to find someone to help me wire the fucking thing...
>>
>>54086848

Try checking if you're using a USB 2.0 drive in a USB 3.0 slot.
That was a big problem I was having for a while. Seems 2.0 drives won't boot properly in a 3.0 slot
>>
Stupid question here.

What would max out Overwatch? Haven't played the game but looking to upgrade GPu
>>
My keyboard is causing my computer to randomly shut down when plugged in
Is there anything I can do that would maybe stop that? Anyone know any likely problems? It's 100% the keyboard and not anything else. I had no idea something like this could even happen, halp
>>
When I enable Numix as a theme it changes my wallpaper and the only way I cant change it back is to change theme.

How do I make Numix work with the wallpaper I want?
>>
>>54093438
Details on the keyboard. You you suspect it might be used/ Chinese fake?
>>
>>54093391
Gigabyte G1 Gaming is best GTX 970.
EVGA seconds best GTX 970
The MSI G4 Gaming 970 third
ASUS shit, everything else shit but excluding some European brand I can't buy here.

In term of sfan noise;
MSI G4 is the most silent GTX 970
Asus Strix second
Gigabyte GTX 970 third
EVGA last.

You shouldn't be looking at anything else,

MSI, Asus and EVGA run the card with the fans off until it hits 60ºC while the G1 970 runs them at 1600rpm at idle, but you can mod the BIOS to get the Gigabyte card to do the same, worthless if you ask me, 1100rpm is practically inaudible and keeps the card at 33ºC while with the cards with the fan off can idle at 40ºC or little more.
>>
>>54092739
No, WhatsApp isn't open-source. How can you know they do exactly what they say?
>>
>>54093464
It's just an ancient HP one that I've had forever, KU-0841 is the model number. I think it came with an old prebuild computer my parents had. I had a wireless one but hated replacing the batteries and now I can't find the thing to connect it to the computer, so this keyboard is the only thing I can really use. It's working alright now but no doubt it'll shut down the computer again.
That's another thing, it's not crashing so much as shutting down, it shows the normal "Windows is shutting down" stuff when it happens, or it just shuts down when I first load into windows during startup (Like right after you select an OS)
>>
>>54092899
It's better having 1 CPU than 2/4 of a CPU...
>>
Shoul I buy this? It felt comfy.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/427869/Racer_Gaming_Chair

I regret buying this one though. Feels like an old wooden chair.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/work-smart-speedway-performance-office-chair-black/prod18150116
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.