[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: tmp_8114-surf-gifs-1536811728.gif (497 KB, 490x262) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8114-surf-gifs-1536811728.gif
497 KB, 490x262
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
How good is this CPU?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALYOPSS/?tag=pcpapi-20

PCPartpicker says my build uses 237 watts, but I want to use this for games and to have it for the future. However, some reviews says this PSU is bad, and I want a good PSU to use, no matter if I'll have to replace it in future upgrades or not.

So here's the question if I didn't make it clear? Is this PSU good, if not, what would be a good, similar or lower wattage, PSU that would be of higher quality within the same price as the one posted.
>>
I live in a desert where we hit 42-48+°C in summer, should i get a 212 evo for a I5-4460?

What are some good H97 motherboards? im planning to get a Z97 but they have been out stock for 4 months and no sing for them to be in stock any second now.
They both are the same price if not more expensive where i live because third world country retarded prices.

>Get B85
I would like to change my ram speeds and i want a M2 slot.
Also 6 SATA3 ports.
Be able to use 3 fans without a splitter cable.
>>
>>54077606
Get a EVGA 650 G1 instead.
Gold rated, better quality, more popular but this doesnt matter and cheaper if not the same price.
>>
Is 2GB RAM a required spec for a phone now? Is surviving on less than that that excruciatingly painful?
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 126x99) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 126x99
I need to make a website to help my classmates study as part of a french project. Any decent website platforms that are better than weebly or google sites? Money isn't an object, but I have 0 experience with website making.
>>
>>54077628
No, 1GB is, depends mostly on the phone and the bloatware you cant remove and what you want to do with it.
>>
i currently have 16 GB of 1600mhz ram, is it time to upgrade, even when i'm not doing much its at nearl 80% and when i am doing something (games, vms etc) its nearly at capacity. if so any suggestions, ausfag here
>>
File: young-owl-wearing-hat-16562958.jpg (46 KB, 369x450) Image search: [Google]
young-owl-wearing-hat-16562958.jpg
46 KB, 369x450
What's a good USB DAC/AMP that can work well with 250 ohm headphones?
>>
I have a TV with RCA inputs. Is there anything I could use to stream my laptop to it. Tried using VGA converter box, was not really working out.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a USB option I could use or something.
>>
>>54077545
any reliable VPN service?
>>
>>54077776
>>54077777
>>
I have a laptop with linux installed on an ssd and linux installed on another hdd. It boots from the hdd but when I try to boot the ssd it just sits on a black screen and does nothing.

From another thread someone said it might be that the bootloader(GRUB?) has the wrong location for where to boot from.

How do I tell grub where to boot from?
>>
>>54077644
What the fuck? 14~ nothing? You have at least 9000 bloatwares

Clean install that fucker
>>
verizonfag here.

I want to save some money by shutting down my home isp for a while, plan to live in nothing but mobile data. I plan to switch to boost mobile and drop verizon as well.

Anyway is there a "hard" limit to the unlimited lte plan (100, 200, 500 gb) where boost just plain shuts you down internet access or is it really "unlimited"? Plan to torrent and watch netflix all day on my phone so data usage will be pretty high.
>>
>tl;dr = r8, h8, and appreci8. Pls gibe feedback on the choice of mobo.

So I'm building a computer (no duh) with a focus on mid-tier specs/price, good longevity, and a motherboard that can handle incremental upgrades.
Here's what I plan to buy initially (I already have a mouse and monitor):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WMtwMp

And here's how I plan to upgrade when I get the money for it (which is soon, probably):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VzwTvK

I feel contented in everything except the choice of motherboard. It's basically the most expensive of the choices I looked at, so anything below its price range is a welcome suggestion. I've heard MSI is the best brand of mobo; thoughts?

The build's going to be used mainly for 1080p video capture, consumption, stream broadcasting, and commercial-grade editing. The reason I plan to staple a 970 onto this ensemble at some point is to help with a dual-monitor setup, and in case any future AAA or VR games catch my eye. As for now though, the most demanding game I'd want to play regularly is Civilization V (which, incidentally, is hard to find benchmarks for because screw the cawadoody r4z0rmau5 gay men audience).
I guess that's it. Pardon the wall of text.
>>
>>54077776
PIA, I've been using them for 2 years and have had no problems with them. I got them after cumcast sent me a letter bitching about pirating some yify rip I ended up deleting the same day. After I used their vpn I have had 0 bs from comcast except them threatening to put on a data cap in our city, they haven't done that yet though.
>>
Think I bricked phone. OnePlus one won't go past the OPO logo and Android.

The fuck do I do to fix this?
>>
>>54077824
Polaris and Pascal and Zen pls

Also buying better now > upgrading
>>
File: 1428462049681.gif (77 KB, 128x185) Image search: [Google]
1428462049681.gif
77 KB, 128x185
Which laptops respect my freedoms?
>>
>>54077608
48C? Do you live in literal Kuwait?
>>
>>54077824
Save.

If you wont overclock dont get a UD5, get a GA-Z170XP-SLI, cheaper and get the 212 EVO.
UD5 is more like for really rough overclocking.

Trust me, once you place the CPU you dont wanna remove the HSF for another, get a good one from the start.

Save and get a 240GB 850 EVO, its worth it.
>>
File: H100i-01b.jpg (175 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
H100i-01b.jpg
175 KB, 800x700
Welp it finally happened I fell for the close loop meme.

Anyway, can someone with experience with one of those tell me what are the safe temperatures for the liquid coolant temperatures?

With a custom fan curve low rpm to minimize noise My CPU stays under 50ºC under load but the coolant goes above 40ºC

CPU isn't a problem it can even hit 60ºC and I don't have to worry but 40ºC on the pump and reservoir makes me worry, is that normal working temperatures for this kind of closed loops?
>>
>>54077545
Anyone have a ROG Swift PG279Q and their turbo button not working? First time setting it up and it worked but then subsequent installations it doesn't.

Already tried downgrading the drives but that's not working. Then I tried doing a clean installation and that doesn't help either. Turbo button not needed to get to the refresh rate I want but obviously it's quick and easy.
>>
>>54077807
any good programs to help with cleaning processes i cant reinstall too much stuf going on
>>
Is there a way to get windows to use my current user folder only?
It's using every user folder this laptop has ever had and it's a pain in the ass
>>
2016 want to unironically use pascal on Windows what or where should i download
>>
>>54077982
Different anon.
Anon could you post a screenshot of your task manager process list?

Also Adwcleaner and malwarebytes is what are you looking for.
>>
Why should I select the 16-235 if the 0-255 is better????
>>
>>54077882
https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-15
it's only two large
>>
File: Capture.png (68 KB, 385x861) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
68 KB, 385x861
>>54077995
here, i know chrome uses alot but i killed chrome and usage is still high
>>
>>54077856
Can't tell if trolling. What's the projected debut price on the lowest-grade Pascal?

>>54077904
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'd like to overclock the GPU and the RAM if possible, as well as the CPU if I choose to upgrade it to a 6700K or 6900K(lol) down the line. Maybe I should just get a 66K now and hold out for the 69?

I'm not wanting for storage, just speed, so I'll consider a 120G-850.
>>
>>54078040
>awesomium
wtf? anyways what you want is process explorere, it'll tell you exactly what program each process is related to, and give you a description of the program and I think a notation of if it's malware or whatever, so you know what to get rid of
>>
What is an alternative to MS office that it's not libre office?
>>
>>54078071
kingsoft?
>>
>>54078053
Get a 6600K, a I7-6700K would be nice for what are you going to use your PC for if you dont have budget problems.
You cant overclock with your current 6500.

The problem is that 120GB is not enough as a main SSD, dont underestimate how fast you can fill 120GB.
User folder gets big really fast and you wont notice it.
Also the 850 EVO for reliability over the SSD Plus.
>>
>>54077992
Assuming you mean the programming language...

http://www.lazarus-ide.org/
>>
>>54078040
For 16GB RAM i dont see your problem, looks good enough.
browsers are well known for be RAM hogs.

>>54078063
HTML UI Engine, aka lighweight browser some games use.
>>
>>54078063
cheers man i got it, thanks
>>
>>54078096
I feel like I'm going to spend more on this than I anticipated. I don't really have budget problems, but this is coming out of my late dad's inheritance, so I can't help but feel miserly.

I knew about the 6500 not being overclockable. Shame about that hotfix. I may just go with the 67K and a 240G-850 then. Thanks again.
>>
>>54078193
Well a good PC should last you 4-5 years so its worth it.
You should wait and get the GPU later.

Just try to readjust your budget if you feel like you are spending a lot and use PCpartpicker to get cheaper prices.
>>
>>54078230
Cool. Seems like there'll be a ~$300 Pascal card by the summer, so that's good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sWb4XL
Here's my second pass through, if you or anyone else is still awake to see it. I switched to RAM with a heat spreader for better optimization (too bad it's out of stock), and I feel confident about every other part.
>>
>>54078609
Check the price of the GA-Z170X-UD3, should be cheaper.

Also you wont get a huge benefit from overclocking RAM in most programs, it is already fast.
Also RAM is RAM, dont spend a lot on it.
>>
How is btrfs lately?

Looking to upgrade from ext4 for increased performance for directory lookup with a lot of files.
>>
If Manjaro is Arch based then what is Ubuntu-based? Debian, or is there another name for it?
>>
How important is a SSD's read/write speed when comparing to other SSDs?
>>
>>54078770
Little to nothing, random read speeds and I/O are more important.

They will always read and write at 450-550MB/s unless you get a shitty SSD that says "Up to" and works at 200MB/s or less like a kingston SV300.
>>
doops
>>
Why does everyone hate systemd?
>>
>>54078822
Nice doops m8

>>54078632
Fair enough. The UD3 is about the same price after tax and shipping, but it'll take longer to ship and arrive. Would you still recommend it over the MSI in that case?
>>
>>54078872
Then no.
>>
Does anyone know how to set 4chan x to not show hidden threads?
Like when I hide a thread, and then at the top of the catalog it still says
>Hidden threads: x
Please no bully.
>>
You can replace your CPU while keeping and reusing the same motherboard, right?
>>
>>54078949
Yes meanwhile its the same socket.
Also you will have to reinstall windows.
>>
Anyone here familiar with HDL Dump for PS2 HD's? I'm trying to install a CD based game with it and it doesn't automatically add the SLUS startup value so I can't install it to the HDD. I remember there was a way to view the bin file or something to get the value but I haven't done this for months so I forgot.
>>
My video card which I can confirm works, and has passed furmark tests so I assume is not dying will not show a picture on my main rig, the side of the card lights up so I see it's getting some power, could my pcie slot be damaged and not give it enough power?
>>
>>54078982
>>>/vg/hbg
>>
>>54078988
thanks
>>
>>54078962
>Also you will have to reinstall windows.
Why?
>>
Can someone point me to a /g/ mouse & keyboard guide?
I got a new gayman pc and I need something other than the old dell keyboard where I can't hold any button and press left. And a wireless $25 microsoft mouse with 2 buttons isn't going to cut it either when I need more buttons to do stuff.
>>
>>54079009
If you change your CPU you have to, that its just how it works.
>>
>>54079020
Huh. Thanks.
>>
Whatever happened to LOBOS (Linux OS Boot OS)? It seems like a promising avenue for a means of liberating a computer that otherwise would not be. How come I am just now hearing about it and all the discussion of it is from ~2002?
>>
>>54079019
logicalincrements.com a guide for both.

Get the CM mouse and keyboard combo for $30.
>>
Is there any easy way to upscale videos using nnedi3? As in render it in advance, not real time
>>
>>54077545
My internet works fine, I can go on 4chan, I can watch WebMs and all that.
Whenever I try and go on YouTube, on Firefox or Internet Explorer, it says connecting, it loads, and loads, and then it times out.
What could be some of the issues?
>>
>>54079033
Thanks, mate.
>>
>>54079069
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Devastator-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00DKXXAAQ

Unless you want to spend $150 on a zowie mouse and a good keyboard get this, its great for the price.
>>
>>54077608
Get Noctua DH15, the 212 evo won't be enough.
I have both and when under load the difference is 10 degrees celsius, so 60 degrees on noctua when the 212 evo is 70 degrees.
>>
>>54077893
Mexico.

Out of my budget.
>>
>>54077797
get a bootloader editor
>>
File: Facebook_icon.svg.png (59 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Facebook_icon.svg.png
59 KB, 2000x2000
Should I use adblocker to block all ads inside Facebook?
Why?
>>
>>54079140
Just install uBlock origin.

Multiple benefits, save bandwith, faster browsing, more clean experience, etc.
>>
>>54079081
I'll actually take you up on that one.
Can't beat $30.
Can't spend $100+ on everything.
>>
>>54079155
I have uBlock Origin, but I configured so it blocks only the ad system I want. I think most of the ads are fair, just some of them are bad.

I don't have much against the Facebook ads, I have against Facebook! I don't like it, don't like to have to use it... I would prefer if everyone could simply change the network for another, but they won't.

So, is it fair to not let Facebook receive money?
>>
File: clover-158344_640.png (62 KB, 386x640) Image search: [Google]
clover-158344_640.png
62 KB, 386x640
I have not discovered yet how to make AppchanX filter case-insensitive.
Can someone explain, please?
>>
Is there a guide to upscaling with avisynth?
>>
File: birds-of-brazil-1035669_640.jpg (113 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
birds-of-brazil-1035669_640.jpg
113 KB, 640x480
Should I create a Twitter for my blog? Are there big concerns about the site?
>>
>>54079330
how to reinstall windows 10 do i use f12 menu. wat about drivers
>>
If I have a stupid question, but it's programming related, do I post it here or /dpt/
>>
>>54079365
Why you asked me?
>>
>>54079330
Why not?
>>
>>54079383
asking anyone
>>
>>54079370
ask in both.
>>
>>54076761 (from last thread - guy with distorted B&W picture from VGA to TV box)
Mess with the controls on the box. These things usually have some control to control whether they output PAL, NTSC, etc. You need it to match what your TV takes. Black and white picture and some distortion sounds about right for being on the wrong standard.
>>
>>54079392
I don't know, that's why I asked.
For example, I don't want to create a Facebook page because Facebook feed is stupid. That's a issue for me.
>>
Question to anybody with a CCNA here. How long did you study before you took the test?
>>
>>54079365
If F12 gets the boot device menu on your PC, then yes. It's different on different machines and depends on the BIOS / UEFI the manufacturer used. Mine uses F12 for network boot and F10 for boot menu.

>>54079330
How would it help your blog?
>>
File: download-1174808_640.png (55 KB, 563x640) Image search: [Google]
download-1174808_640.png
55 KB, 563x640
I will migrate from Windows 7 to Ubuntu 16.04. How to keep my torrents ratios? Is there a way to "export" all this informations?
>>
>>54079330
If you mean security and privacy concerns, they're certainly more conscious about it than the likes of Tumblr or Jewgle. Besides, in my experience, Twitter's just a great tool for networking and advertising. Take all that for what it's worth.
>>
Is 32GB enough for a smartphone
>>
>>54079490
You could see if the torrent client stores it in some file you can port over, and if the Ubuntu version will read it. Why care though? It doesn't reset the ratio the tracker sees for you, just the one you see in the window until you remove the torrent.

>>54079505
Is it enough for YOU? If you want to store 20 GB of movies, music, games, apps, etc., then it's enough. If you want to store 40 GB of shit, you should spring for the 64 GB version or one with an SD slot.
>>
>>54079505

There's smart phones with 32GB RAM?
>>
>>54079529
No, dumbass, internal flash storage.
>>
>>54079518
I do feel like I could get away with it, but then again so does everyone else before they start coming close to that limit, right?
>>
>>54079466
>How would it help your blog?
Would help getting more public to read it.
>>
>>54079494
>privacy concerns
Aren't all tweets public by default? I can see no privacy.
>>
>>54079518
>It doesn't reset the ratio the tracker sees for you, just the one you see in the window until you remove the torrent.
!!!!!???????
How the tracker knows who am I, if I change the client and OS?
>>
>>54079582
It's the job of a tracker to keep track of that.
If it's not a private tracker, it doesn't matter either way though.
>>
>>54079582
By the key in the torrent file. When you download from a private tracker, they put some key unique to your account in the .torrent file you get. This is sent back to the tracker every time your client checks in.

This is also why you get fucked if you share a .torrent from a private tracker here -- loads of people download it and immediately stop seeing, all of it is tallied to your account, and your good ratio is history.

If you port over the downloaded files and even redownload the .torrent files from the tracker to seed those torrents, you'll keep and add to your ratio all the same. Your client will see the data files there if they're the same name, in the right dir, and intact. (You can also use this technique to fix the corrupted parts of files if they get damaged by, eg, bad sectors on your disk. If most of a file is good but some blocks are bad, the torrent client will only redownload the bad blocks.)
>>
>>54079654
>If it's not a private tracker, it doesn't matter either way though.
They are all public.
Why the ratio doesn't matter for public trackers?? Isn't it their job too?
>>
>>54079571
There are still a few measures in place. For instance, if you @ somebody, only people who follow both of you can read that tweet unless you format it as .@somebody. Also, they show you in the tutorial thing how to set up a protected page where your tweets aren't public by default.

But in terms of metadata NSA shit, yeah, of course the Library of Congress can still find your tweets without a warrant no matter what because lolamerica
>>
>>54079680
Public trackers don't know or care who you are. All they can see from you is your IP, so yes they could potentially track a ratio for everyone at your IP as a group. But they don't, and you are neither punished if you leech and ditch nor rewarded if you seed for a year.
>>
>>54079696
can read that conversation*
Same difference, really.
>>
What is a good addon for viewing youtube videos blocked in my country?
>>
Can anyone help me with an audio issue?
I just got my first rig and forgot to buy speakers for it. So I've hooked my desktop up to my stereo with an optical audio cable, but am getting no sound output.

I opened the sound menu, and if I test Realtek Digital Output, it works through the speakers, so they are connected properly. But no other sounds play, ie those from youtube or vidya.
>>
>>54079739
Nevermind, I fixed it. Just set the Realtek output as default. I didn't notice that option earlier.
>>
>>54079732
a VPN

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I believe it determines your country from your IP, and that's all on the server side so you can't get around it other than by making your IP be one in another country.

>>54079739
Set default sound device. By default it outputs to the green speaker jack ("headphone/speaker" or whatever).
>>
>>54079661
>When you download from a private tracker
I'm only on public trackers!
>>
>>54079732
Just use the command line program youtube-dl with the argument --proxy "" and an American proxy
>>
>>54079696
Is there a tool to turn my photo to this cool style like Tay's (Microsoft chat bot)?
>>
>>54079709
>All they can see from you is your IP
Hm, I was thinking they could get the ratio from my client, because, several years ago, when I started using torrents, some dumb people were talking about cheating ratio to get torrents quickier.
>>
>>54079696
Wasn't the Library of Congress archiving only public tweets? Anyone can do that. Which is the relation they have with NSA?
>>
>>54079765
>I'd like to be proven wrong, but I believe it determines your country from your IP, and that's all on the server side so you can't get around it other than by making your IP be one in another country.
Completely right.
>>
>>54079771
Well then you don't need to give a flying fuck about your ratio since it isn't even tracked apart from the number your client shows you, but that's just for your own information and doesn't do anything. Seed if you want to be nice, but don't worry about the ratio starting back at nothing when you re-import the torrents.

>>54079772
Using a proxy in your browser will work too. Note though that all free proxies are slow flaky pieces of shit since they get effectively DDOS'd by all the users the instant they're posted in public lists.

>>54079780
GIMP.

>>54079795
There is some consideration by other clients on whether to send you blocks quickly based on whether you're uploading on the torrent or severely throttling other leechers' downloads from you. But iirc that's more to do with whether you've set a low upload bandwidth limit than if you've faithfully seeded other torrents for ages.
>>
File: Qbittorrent-logo.png (14 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
Qbittorrent-logo.png
14 KB, 160x120
Does anyone know of a torrent client that has a web ui and can be restricted to download during certain times?
>>
>>54079856
rtorrent + ruTorrent
>>
>>54079765
>>54079821
What browser proxies specifically would be good to use?
>>
>>54079821
>GIMP
No, it's not easy. I meant something like that stupid tool that added "JE SUS CHARLES" to the photos.
>>
>>54079494
>they're certainly more conscious about it than the likes of Tumblr or Jewgle
Can you talk a bit about the privacy problems of Tumblr and Google?
>>
How much better did Skylake end up being?
>>
File: google knows.jpg (3 MB, 1053x10000) Image search: [Google]
google knows.jpg
3 MB, 1053x10000
>>54079948
There are free ones but they're all shit. There's also Tor, which is free and kinda slow, and you have very little control what country your connection will look like it's from.

>>54080016
>Google
Tracks fucking everything about you. See picture.

>Tumblr
idk, I don't really see the problem. I thought they made it pretty clear that if you push "Publish" or "Answer publicly" the result is a post everyone can see.
>>
>>54080058
OK, which is a good replacement for Google Maps?
>>
>>54080140
Would you rather give your data to AOL-Time-Warner (MapQuest) or Microsoft (Bing Maps)? Any maps service can tell where you go, though only Google can link it with your identity on all your other Google services and ads. OTOH if you don't use other Google services or use it in private browsing, they see about as much as any map service.
>>
>>54080244
How about OpenStreetMap?
>>
>>54079494
OK, created.
>>
>>54080299
I'm impressed. Last I'd seen it, it was showing wrong locations on a weather page. This thing looks at least as readable as Google Maps, and is smoother and more responsive on this shitty netbook. It did start me in England rather than the location of my IP though.
>>
I was looking at the debian live CD file sizes:
debian-live-8.4.0-amd64:
1.3G-----gnome-desktop.iso
1.2G-----kde-desktop.iso
1.1G-----cinnamon-desktop.iso
1.0G-----mate-desktop.iso
964M-----lxde-desktop.iso
956M-----xfce-desktop.iso
417M-----standard.iso

The Gnome one has +900MB on the text console version and xfce still a large +500MB
Does it really need 500MB more?
I don't need their mail clients and irc clients and text editors and what not installed
All I want to do is display GUI programs that can overlap and maybe a panel down the bottom that will show which programs are open and maybe a program launcher like krunner

How many megabytyes would that be?
>>
What are some solid 4K televisions around the 60" size? Preferably looking for some good color accuracy.
>>
How do I get windows 8 to look old school? like 2000 or 98
>>
>>54077630
sorry but i didnt read!
>>
>>54080371
>it was showing wrong locations on a weather page
???
>>
>>54080415
>How many megabytyes would that be?
Try it and see. It's not like any of those sizes are anything compared to a modern drive. Also, those sizes are a good deal smaller than your used disk space if you install everything that's on the disc. It's compressed.

>>54080447
You don't. 8 doesn't include the Windows Classic theme.
>>
/g/ im trying to set a cookie to expire after 1 minute with php

im doing

$timeout = 'ACTIVESESSION';
$timeout_value = '1';
$timeout_expire = time()+60;

setcookie($timeout,$timeout_value,$timeout_expire,'/');

however when i check, the cookie is not set to expire
it is set as a "session" cookie with no expiration date

can anyone explain why this is happening?
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B00E7H8GG2

Would a pair of these speakers be good for a home theater setup? Not really interested in 5.1/7.1 honestly.
>>
>>54080526
lol...

you havent posted your room set up at all, no measurements or anything. Plus these are monitors so youre going to get a flat sound, which isnt bad but means action scenes in particular will sound shit because these are tiny and have no base. 7.1 is a meme and almost nothing is mastered in it
>>
>>54080550
So what speakers should I get for movies?

>you havent posted your room set up at all, no measurements or anything

I dunno man... It's just an average size loungeroom and the speakers will sit next to the TV.
>>
>>54080508
did you check with empty cookies?
is the set-cookie header correct?
>>
>>54080594
yeah
giving up & moving on
so utterly ridiculous
>>
>>54080584
i dunno man, average size could mean anything. Ill assume your room is 5 x 4 meters and say youre not going to need just speakers but also a 2ch amp.

Honestly if you want monitors for movies your going to want at least a 7 inch driver.

Otherwise a 2.1 system might be the best bet.

Another problem with monitors is they need to be on stands or else they will sound god awful depending on height issues
>>
>>54080643
I'm not a fan of bass and I'm just using my TV's inbuilt speakers right now, so shouldn't those monitors still be a marked improvement?
>>
Is it still possible to create fake Facebook profiles?
>>
>>54080650
they will, its whether its the best improvement. So your saying you want a system thats unbalanced and more tinny sounding? Go for it then...
>>
>>54080689
no, you need phone number and id now. Precisly why i dont have one
>>
>>54080728
Got any speaker recommendations that would be appropriate for movies?
>>
File: at-sign-1083508_640.png (94 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
at-sign-1083508_640.png
94 KB, 640x640
Is there an e-mail service that is free, good, and protects/does not violates privacy?
>>
>>54080741
well post your room size so i can better accomidate. Draw a diagram of it too.
>>
File: that shit.png (197 KB, 433x360) Image search: [Google]
that shit.png
197 KB, 433x360
My dads band wants to switch to whatsapp for comunications but he doesn't have or want a smartphone. Is there a way he could use it from his desktop PC without having to use a smartphone in the activation process?
>>
File: cockz.png (9 KB, 210x220) Image search: [Google]
cockz.png
9 KB, 210x220
>>54080756
cock.li
>>
What are the best smartphones for ~200€ ?
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 800x600
>>54080806
>>
Need to buy a phone since my Lumia battery life is shit now with windows 10 and the screen is not responsive enough.
Looking for android device, up to 380$ MAX, would prefer 300$ max but I can go higher.
I want it to look nice and have good screen, would prefer AMOLED because of darker blacks(NO SAMSUNG PLZ), but I'll be fine with ISP if it's LG G4 or HTC
I really don't know what to get.
I just know how much money I can spend on the phone and the things I want which is good screen, power bank battery, solid speed and a lot of storage.
HELP PLZ SENPAI
>>
>>54080874
Nexus 5X has an excellent display but it's not OLED.

Oneplus X is an option if you want OLED.

Samsung phones have the best OLED displays though.
>>
>>54080756
yandex mail
mail.ru
being semi-ironic here
>>
>>54080827
>seized by German authorities
>>
>>54080891
I could not understand your semi-irony. Could you explain, please?
>>
>>54080914
You either use American botnet or Russian botnet depending on where you live, since NSA/FSB probably don't share backdoor info with eachother.
>>
File: Computer.png (230 KB, 785x1574) Image search: [Google]
Computer.png
230 KB, 785x1574
Is there anything wrong with this build? I'm looking to make a mid tier gaming PC for less than $800 (monitor + Windows included). Should I spend more money on a motherboard so it would be compatible with future upgrades of other components for longer? I haven't been paying attention to anything /g/ related for a while, is there any reason I should hold out for anything being released soon?
>>
>>54081007
Quite a bit.

>Kingston V300

Garbage SSD, uses crappy synchronous NAND.

>ASUS VS228T

TN display, garbage. Pony up for an IPS panel. You can get the Acer H236HL for $150~.

>FX-4350

Don't do that. Get a cheap Intel chip instead, AM3 is dead.

>XFX 380

Go for Sapphire if you can.

>Corsair CX600

Corsair CX units are mediocre and sometimes garbage. Get an EVGA, XFX, Antec or Seasonic unit instead.

>Corsiar Spec-03

This is subjective but I think the Carbide 100R is nicer looking.
>>
>>54081037
>>54081007
Also, if you're on a strict budget, why not pirate Windows? Don't be a faggot.
>>
>>54081037
Thanks!

>>54081048
I'm as straight edge as it gets. The only time I tried to pirate stuff, I got an email from my ISP saying if I do it again they'll cut off my service. I'd rather just stick to Linux gaming until I can afford a Windows license kek.
>>
I've been using a WD Blue 1TB HDD for five years now.

Is it going to die soon? Should I replace it? I'm reading all this stuff about drive failures and I'm getting paranoid.
>>
>>54081103
Your drive could last 5 more years or it could last 5 more minutes.
Always assume your drive is going to fail tomorrow and back up accordingly.
>>
>>54081074
Instead of the Kingston SSD, get a Sandisk. I'm pretty sure they have a cheap 120GB drive which is about the same price as the Kingston but it's much better.

As for the CPU, an i3-6100 is an excellent chip if you can afford it, otherwise the G4400 will do until you can upgrade down the road. But try to shoot for the i3-6100 because it's great for gaming at its price.

Now if you're dead set on buying Windows I can't stop you, but let me just explain how easy it is to see if it'll change your mind:

>get Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website; this will download Windows 10 to your USB and make a bootable installer
>install Windows on your new machine
>grab Microsoft Toolkit from the official MDL thread (google "microsoft toolkit mdl"); there's a magnet link on the page
>run it, click install under the product key tab then install under the activation tab with the drop down menu set to "AutoKMS"

Donezo. Permanently activated W10.
>>
File: VU meter.jpg (3 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
VU meter.jpg
3 MB, 1836x3264
I have this old casette deck I don't use anymore.

Is there a way I can pass my computer's audio through it so that the VU meter/level indicator moves? pic related

Thank you for your time
>>
File: sku_2599_1.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sku_2599_1.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
You could try using one of these
>>
Are the mechanical keyboards sold on massdrop any worth a look?
>>
>>54081284
better off finding them from an actual retailer unless you want to wait over a month for shipping.
>>
>>54081295
ok I get that, but what I meant was the the selection they have. Are they any worth?
>>
>>54081138
Not that anon but do you think dual-booting windows 7 and 10 is a good idea? I have a 250GB SSD and I only have about 100GB of free space left. I can install Windows 10 on a different drive maybe ... should I? I'd rather have an activated windows 10 installation while it's still possible, just in case I'd need it.
>>
Is it possible to uninstall a Windows 10 license from one computer and install it on another?
>>
>>54081311
Looks like they killed thier guest sign in URL and I cba to create an account.

I heard the magicforce68 key was good for its price and on there recently, but massdrop is shit to begin with.
Keep in mind, Their entire 'selection' of items are all usually garbage you don't need, submitted by idiots, and then bulk ordered from china. The pries usually end up being only 5%-10 cheaper than buying directly yourself as they lie about market value so you can't even rely on them for comparing on pricing either.
>>
looking to get a new phone. im not a power user so I dont give a shit about gaming/graphics, or gimmicks like finger print scanners, just want it to be reliable and especially the gps.

here is what ive come down to so far:

> asus zenfone 2 (laser ze550kl) - $223
> nexus 5x - $314
> oneplus x (flashed to oxygen os) - $297

which shall I buy?
>>
>>54081393
Ahh ok so it's a no go for mechanical keyboards. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>54081388

Depends on what the license is.

If you have an OEM copy of Windows you can't - not officially anyway. It's tied to the machine. But if you go through the activation process and call them up you might get the hookup anyway. I did.

The free Windows 10 update is OEM. If you have a retail version of Windows that you've upgraded to Windows 10 you have to downgrade to your older version of Windows, install that version on the new machine and upgrade it again.

Or you can just crack it.
>>
What keyboard is that? 0:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2n4X7fp2lM
>>
Why can I never get -to to work in ffmpeg? It just continues encoding until the end of the file whenever I use that command. Only -t works.
>>
I live in a dorm, and my thinkpad doesn't get proper wifi connection on my bed, with a direct line of sight to my router. Like, depending on where on the bed, a packet loss of 20-90%.
Now, 4 rooms away from my router, I get perfect internet. Any ideas why?
>>
Windows Movie Maker can't edit any .avi videos I make with fraps. It seems to be fraps specifically because other avi files can be edited in wmm. I've read things about the right codecs, but I've made sure to have all of them installed. Any ideas?

And short of that, is there a F(OSS) alternative in terms of video editors or indeed video capture?
>>
File: 1414166582776.jpg (112 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
1414166582776.jpg
112 KB, 1191x670
Guys I have a problem in converting a pdf into images. I have used an online tool before and everything went fine, but with this file all the images converted looks like thumbnails. The strange thing is that if I open the pdf itself the resolution is fine (yes it's magnified to the page but the resolution is more then fine). The only solution I have is to screen every page one by one, but is a light novel and screen 250 pages is not fun at all.
Also, if some of you know some good pdf into images converter. I have some stuff that excedess the memory limits of the online tools.
Thank for the help in advance, have a wallpaper.
>>
>>54081687
>2016
>recording with FRAPS

Let us take a moment to admire this quaint little occasion.

Now, I recommend recording with OBS instead (specifically, to H.264 in lossless mode).

AVI is an old shit of a container. Good luck working with that nonsense.
>>
>>54081670
Interference patterns, number of people using their microwaves at the time
>>
Did anybody have problems with the latest 2 Nvidia drivers? I bought my PC a couple of weeks ago and just had the last two, but I have constant 1-2 second frame drops in every game. It is not overheating and it is not the RAM or VRAM issue because the same thing happens on low and on ultra, it doesn't matter.

I have 364.72 currently, can I remove this one and install the 362.00? Do you think that could be the reason for my drops?
>>
>>54081694
Use ImageMagick
convert file.pdf file.png
Done.
>>
>>54081687
stop using WMM.
stop using avi.
stop using fraps.
stop living in 2006.
>>
>>54081702
It never occurred to me to use OBS; the only reason I still use fraps is because it's a click and a button away from on the fly recording to get situations like this which can't exactly wait.

Can OBS offer me that? I've used it for streaming, but in my experience you'll need things set up in advance.
>>
>>54081670
Change your WiFi channel.

>>54081396
I'd get Nexus 5x
>>
Would a SanDisk SSD Plus be a good upgrade from a WD HDD?
>>
>>54081745
I welcome suggestions for alternatives. Any input is appreciated.
>>
>>54081750
Yes, OBS has hotkeys. Just press F4 while in-game to start recording (or whatever you set it to).
>>
>>54081750
Once you get it set up for the first time OBS is a hotkey away from capture, and you can run it in constant capture mode and then have a hotkey to save the last n minutes of footage.
>>
>>54081757
Definitely. Evo 850/Pro or Sandisk Plus or Ultra II are the best in the market all things considered. Unless you have a WD Velociraptor, your read/write speeds on a regular HDD are anywhere between 100-150Mb/s, assuming it's not dying (60-90mb/s usually). You can test it out for yourself in any case. An SSD can be anywhere between 5-10 times faster, usually about 5 when comparing to healthy disks.
>>
>>54081751
any perticular reason why the 5x? sorry I just want some definitive reason to go out and buy it, im stuck between all three options
>>
>>54081797
Long official software support, large community ROM/kernel support, excellent display (very color accurate), great camera, fast charging, fingerprint scanner. 5X was a mediocre phone at launch, but now that its dropped in price a bit its a good bargain.
>>
>>54081795
>Evo 850/Pro or Sandisk Plus or Ultra II are the best in the market all things considered.
An Intel SSD 750 is better than any of those.
>>
File: 78158.png (36 KB, 650x480) Image search: [Google]
78158.png
36 KB, 650x480
>>54081812
And the Samsung 950 is better than that
>>
>>54081795
I bought my PC parts from a small seller which is pretty popular in my city and those guys would never fuck their customers up.

But, they recommended me to buy these two items (which I did):

WD 1TB 5400 rpm version - because they said "it was a newer model which is better than the 7200 rpm model they had"

Intel 535 SSD - I didn't find many info on this one on the internet, but it seems it is not much better than Kingston's.

Was I memed hard or not?
>>
>>54081836
>WD 1TB 5400 rpm version - because they said "it was a newer model which is better than the 7200 rpm model they had"

Lmfao. You just got memed the fuck on.
>>
>>54081770
But won't I need to have set the game as a source in advance, or develop the muscle memory to add the game as a source real quick?
>>
>>54081847
I don't understand that one, I wanted the 7200 model but they insisted on this one, the 7200 is a little more expensive, doesn't make sense that they would cheat me.
>>
>>54081850
You set up a game capture scene to have a hotkey to capture the active window
Launch OBS > Go to game > Press hotkey > Done
>>
>>54081812
>NVMe

>>54081836
Well depending on the platter generation a 5400 may very well best a 7200rpm disk in different tasks which they may have seen as more important for a general consumer. If it was a green edition then you did indeed get meme'd.

The Intel 535 is fine but older Intel SSDs (300 series) had an auto-kill switch wherein they'd simply become read-only and expire after reboot once a single sector went bad. This is in contrast to the vast majority of SSDs which simply reallocate data to other (often dedicated) areas of the disk.
>>
File: 78156.png (35 KB, 650x480) Image search: [Google]
78156.png
35 KB, 650x480
>>54081835
Only in some benchmarks.
>>
>>54081859
Even if the 7200 rpm model is more expensive overall they may get more margin on the 5400
>>
Is it true that encryption that is too strong is illegal for ordinary citizens to use?
>>
>>54081892
No
Historically there have been laws regarding the export of encryption tech which was classified as munitions, but it's pretty much irrelevant nowadays
>>
>>54081812
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Intel-730-Series-240GB/2385vs2031

Intel SSD shills are the most annoying bunch of them all.
>>
How do I hide the clock in statusbar at my HTC M8? I'm using an A9 port rom (jw, to be specific) and Sense Toolbox isn't working in that function.
>>
>>54081870
It was the blue edition.

I don't know how big is the difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm. But meh, I probably won't buy from them again, it was just an HDD, so pretty cheap, and I only have one, while my OS is on the SSD, if/when I buy another one, I won't make the same mistake. But what bothers me is that I'm not sure if my HDD is the reason I get frame drops on game all the time - or is it the driver issue.

Btw, somebody please -> >>54081726

I couldn't buy the Samsung's SSD at that time so I guess Intel 535 was fine, never had SSD before.
>>
>>54081931
Check the see is the xposed framwork works on your device/supported. Some launchers try to hide it if supported by the system, like Nova so give that a try maybe.
>>
>>54081941
It's already hiding with Nova, and I started to think that clock on statusbar sucks. That's why I want to change it..

Xposed 81 is working.
>>
>>54081870
>>54081940
WD did a rebranding, their green drives are now sold under the blue label. If you're buying the newest drives you need to look at the actual specs
>>
>>54081940
In any case, the Sandisk Plus is a good investment as far as SSDs are concerned. Go with an evo 850 if you're fine with spending a bit more. Totally not a problem if you'd rather get the sandisk. They'd both be huge upgrades from almost any HDD.

Your issue with framedrops are most likely caused by the new drivers. Rollback and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's the drivers as expected and you should wait for a newer version/maybe a patch for your specific game. If not, it needs a more thorough revision of your system status.
>>
Are ther librarys for C on windows which allow me to get below the IP on the network protokol stack?
Like if I would want to send an ARP request with my programm for example.
>>
Concerning the Raspberry Pi Zero, could I split the single USB port with some sort of double-adapter and use that single port for watching movies up to 20Mbps off a hard drive while also controlling XBMC with a gamepad? Is there enough data for that? Does the Zero's USB port even supply power?
>>
>>54081951
Make a TWRP backup and get xposed running. it can modify your system without the need for specific launchers and other background processes.
>>
>>54082016
Perhaps crafting the structure of the packet would be simpler? if its just an ARP.
>>
>>54081991

Didn't have 362.00, will install it fresh and see what happens then.

Do you recommend any program for monitoring? I had MSI Afterburner but couldn't see any problem with my configuration.

Btw, this what that HDD more precisely:

HDD 1TB WD Blue, 3.5", 5400RPM, 64MB Cache, SATA3, WD10EZRZ
>>
All my wall sockets in the room stopped working. But the ceiling light works fine.

Could one busted socket make all other not work? One of them is pretty busted and hanging out, and was used recently.

Or will I have to tear down the whole installation?
>>
>>54082048
Please call an electrician before you burn the building down
>>
>>54082016
what about Win32 APIs? there's one just for that
>>
>>54082041
According to this, my HDD really might be rebranded green:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/wd10ezex-vs-wd10ezrz/

Whatever, at least I wasn't memed on more important components.
>>
>>54077630

Didn't read.
>>
>>54082075
Relax. I will pop the breaker fuses before I play with wiring.
>>
>>54082033
Yea i guess thats what I wanna know.
How?
>>54082083
Ok thanks this solves one of my problems. It'd still be interesting if it would be possible to issue ethernet messages with headers written by myself.
>>
I'm trying to figure out how to install some custom ROM on my G3, and Cyanogenmod seems to have a good guide. But there's one sentence that makes no sense to me. Namely:
>NOTE: YOU MUST BE ON 12B OR LOWER IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK. IF YOU ARE NOT ON 12B OR LOWER, YOUR DEVICE WILL REFUSE TO BOOT TO RECOVERY AFTER FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE
https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_d855
12B what? I see nothing in my software info that has any format that looks like 12B.
>>
Should I buy used parts and build a solid i7 3770k along with gtx 780 or should i go buy and build myself a i5 6600k along with gtx970?
>>
Anyone know where I can download an OS X iso? Preferably one that's been pre-cracked
>>
>>54082210
i7 and 780, used parts probably won't break anytime soon anyway
>>
>>54082210
What vidya you want to play? I'd personally go for new stronger CPU and used GPU.
>>
Alright gentlemen, I have £1000 put aside for a setup will that be enough to get me a decent game ready machine? Im also open to laptops although im sure most people recommend not to go down the route of 'gaming laptops'
>>
Where do I find offical W10 Enterprise ISO lads?

Can only find the normal ISO.
>>
>>54082181
winpcap desu

>>54082502
of course. You can build something very powerful for that money. You can even build a E chip/980 setup with money leftover. It's very easy to overspend on components with that kind of budget though so be cautious.

Also if you want a 'gaming' laptop don't go with ROG, it's way too ugly to be used shamelessly in an office/conference/job. Gigabyte 35/37 series are where it's at.

>>54082345
Same. i7-6700k and a gtx780. The Z170 motherboards can be as low as like $100. That's where you save the most money compared to building something older. DDR4 is p much the same as DDR3 nowadays too. Wait a month and get the 6700k if you have a job. You're bound to upgrade GPUs a couple of times during the PC's lifetime. Get a good processor from the start and avoid cpu upgrades from the get-go.
>>
File: bananapi-m2-a31.jpg (112 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bananapi-m2-a31.jpg
112 KB, 800x800
I want to build a 24/7 running Torrent box, that would download torrents to an attached sata hdd. Should I go for something single board (pic related) or I should build a desktop grade system with ecc memory ? I want it to be cheap but reliable.
>>
>>54082032
I already have Xposed.
>>
>>54082731
ECC memory? For torrents?
What are these torrents, the fucking blueprints to your secret bond-Villian lair?

torrents have checksumming built in. Don't fuck around paying for ECC. Single board is fine if the CPU can keep up with the summing, etc.
>>
how can my smartphone get a virus?
>>
>>54081687
use sony vegas
>>
>>54082806
Thanks for the needful insight, anon.
>>
Is there an oposite of xinit? I want to kill a process when x is stopped as it immediatly floods my tty until I kill it.
>>
>>54082854
You sir, are welcome.
Also, I told Mi6 about your blueprints... xD
>>
>>54082882
Literally google it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=killx

I got first result of: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-how-to-kill-x-windows-halted-frozen-or-resource-eating-application/
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-17-11-31-05.png (258 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-17-11-31-05.png
258 KB, 1440x2560
Having a problem installing kali linux on my phone, vnc and ssh both fail, Debian is working. LG G3 with cyanogenmod 12.1
>>
File: 1412575860681.jpg (44 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1412575860681.jpg
44 KB, 300x400
got two questions:

i am looking for a mobile solar charger, that will charge a 19v 4,74a laptop and other devices like phone, kindle and other small electronics. maybe with an attached battery?

what is the best option to boost cellphone reception, a directional antenna? there is reception but its very poor, 1-2 bars.
>>
>>54077545
Any recommendations for cheap ass wired travel mice? I can't stand using wireless shit
>>
>>54082921
Sorry if I'm not explaining myself particularly well but that's not what I'm after.

I have a process that runs in the background that gets started when x starts (the panel script for bspwm). However when I kill X and return to the tty it floods the console with messages about broken pipe. I can manually kill the job from there but it'd be nice if it was automatic.
>>
So I got this great job offer from a relative but the problem is that I need to have experience with .net and SDK SAP, I know shit about this two... Realistically how possible would it be two learn this two in the fastest time possible.

I know some java and mysql.
>>
>>54082617
>winpcap desu
fockin thanks m8, this is exactly what i needed
>>
>>54079490
if you plan to use the same client, then just copy over its configuration folder/files
torrents that are loaded in won't be able to find their data without some edits though, as they'll be using windows paths
>>
>>54079856
deluge
>>
I have a Sony AM/FM Radio with a 100mW speaker and it produces better overall sound than my Asus laptop that supposedly has 2x1W speakers (clearer treble but much lower quality mids and bass).
Why is that? Does speaker diameter make that much of a difference?
>>
File: a.png (24 KB, 806x506) Image search: [Google]
a.png
24 KB, 806x506
>>54080415
what i use is an example of what you're describing
openbox (floating WM), tint2 (panel), dmenu (popup launcher)
those 3 are about 3M worth, though there's also things like Xorg, video/input drivers and mesa which you will also need for any GUI environment
>>
Is the thermal paste that comes bundled with the 212x any good?

Only other option for me is the "Cooler Master HTK-002 High Performance Thermal". Not sure if it's worth like $6. Going to overclock an i7-6700k to ~4.5-7Ghz
>>
>>54082026
>Is there enough data for that?
should be fine
>Does the Zero's USB port even supply power?
5v at 500mA is a requirement for the usb standard, if it can't do that, then it's not officially a USB port
>>
Is it possible to download and install older graphics drivers without consequences?
>>
/g/ help

I tried to install remix OS with a thumb drive and an extra HDD but neither are working to install or pull it up. Why the hell is this fucking dot head OS so god damn difficult to work?
I've been wanting Android as an Extra OS for a long time but when it's this fucking difficult. WHY?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.