[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we admit that Linux on desktop is shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: file.png (284 KB, 998x679) Image search: [Google]
file.png
284 KB, 998x679
can we admit that Linux on desktop is shit?
>>
>>54072629
install gentoo
>>
>>54072629
I came back to this board for a few seconds out of habit and this is the first thread I see

Nice /g/, nice. Never stop spiraling down the proprietary shithole that you are becoming.
>>
>>54072629

Anybody with two functioning brain cells to rub together knows this. Linux has never been a viable desktop operating system. It belongs in a datacenter or a virtual machine and nowhere else.
>>
File: 1436559937012[1].png (474 KB, 1220x608) Image search: [Google]
1436559937012[1].png
474 KB, 1220x608
>>54072671
4chan runs on proprietary software and hardware buddy
>>
>>54072629
Sure, as long as we admit that almost everything is even more shit
>>
>>54072707
4chan's a website, I couldn't give less of a shit.
>>
File: 1452465821934.png (291 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1452465821934.png
291 KB, 500x469
I am quite happy with it
>>
>DO NOT REPLY TO PAID MS SHILLS
>REPORT MS SHILLS
>HIDE MS SHILLS
Seriously, when is 4chan going to block Microsoft-owned IP addresses? This is getting fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>54072787
>triggered so hard he creates his own reality in his mind
>>
>>54072758

>I only care about using free software when it is easy for me.

lol hypocrite.

>>54072787

Does it hurt realizing that the objective reality is that people simply do not use Linux for Desktop application because it is shit?
>>
>>54072671
Apple announced new shit, so macfags woke up and started posting outside phone threads.

Microcucks are doing damage control because Microsoft is trying to separate telemetry and surveillance in the public mind by suing US government.

Plus, Linux bashing threads for no reason other than bumping flame war threads and burying threads about the new anti-encryption law:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/burr_feinstein_bill_prompts_protests/

I'm guessing some human bot/shill agency is working overtime this week.
>>
>>54072828
>>54072787
Software on a server doesn't matter, I am not running it on my machine. On a website, only non-free javascript matters, and those can be blocked.
>>
>>54072629
It's not fucking retard

No one cares about your OS flamewar fucking autist.

STOP MAKING THESE FUCKING THREAD
>>
>>54072828
I really don't feel like explaining basic shit to you but here goes:

The reason people dislike proprietary software is because it is capable of running functions on your computer that you don't want your computer to run. For example, an OS that sends your download history to microsoft. I don't want that to happen, but I have no way of knowing if it's happening or not, because the OS's code is entirely different.

With a website, I can view the Javascript, CSS, and HTML, so the client side is entirely open source. This means I control which data is sent to 4chan. I know exactly what 4chan is seeing just by looking at the code (it's just my IP). What they do with that information is beyond me, but I'm all beyond caring. I know when it's happening and exactly when it happens.

Companies are free to run closed-source servers, but a closed-source client is where the real problem lies.

Do you get it now? Frankly I'm all beyond caring, don't bother replying cuz this is my last post on /g/
>>
>>54072671
How much longer till /v/ and reddit fully takes over /g/?
>>
>>54072629
the panicked microsoft marketers have ratcheted up their campaign into cynical lies

why is linux so bad , when at the same time microsoft wants it so badly - wants to be viable again? these microsoft marketing threads are polluting /g/
>>
>>54073021

You are incapable of reading or comprehending all of the code you run on your computer, even if it was all open source.
>>
>>54073079
this is an interesting argument
so if i cant do something 100% that makes me a hypocrite for still preaching/believing in it?
or makes it wrong?

what do you think?
>>
>>54073079
>he: "others can"
>you: "linux code is huge"
>he: "someone's developing it"
>you: "it can't be done. NSA contributed backdoors to linux"
>he: "go back to /v/"
>you: "le year of le linux desktop"
>he: "but Microsoft made this le year of le linux desktop"
>you: "no need to use linux anymore"
>he: "muh privacy"
>you: "you are using proprietary hardware, so somebody might be spying on you"
>he: "i use firewall"
>you: "it doesn't show spy traffic"
>he: "do you even know how hardware firewall works?"
>you: "you might be spied on by Intel, so there is literally no reason not to allow Microsoft to spy on you every day"
>he: "go poo in the loo. le poo in le loo confirmed!"
>you: "my shift's over. you will be talking to Rajeesh from now on. good luck, sir."
Wow, no need to post anymore.
>>
>>54073191

Yes. The whole "Open Source allows you to see the code" meme is hypocrisy if you don't actually check the code you're running on your computer.

Not all of it, and not even on every boot, just fucking occasionally.
>>
>>54073079
>you are incapable of actually checking the ingredients in your food
>you are incapable of actually checking the servers you store your personal information on
>you are incapable of actually proving your government isn't corrupt
All true, and yet they are still valid concerns for many people. Know why? Because the world isn't black and white you cunt arse fuck wipe.
>>
It kinda is, but what else is good any more? Windows 7 was the last best desktop OS. Soon that will die out, and no way I'm gonna use a NSA tablet OS. Linux could easily become the best desktop, it just needs better userland development, see, Ubuntu is trying, but people still give it shit. It's just a giant mess to see all of these distros, why not all come together and actually work on something that will work for a good desktop experience?. Linux is for very independent kind of users people who are competent with technology/hackers/programmers, it's easy for them to tailor their Linux of choice for their desktop needs. But not the average user can do that, so Windows will always top Linux on the desktop, well maybe for now.
>>
>>54073287
You probably don't check and verify the science behind the theory of relativity either, but you just take it as fact because a whole lot of other people far smarter than you who have checked and understood it say it checks out.
>>
>>54072828
>Does it hurt realizing that the objective reality is that people simply do not use Linux for Desktop application because it is shit?
Is that why we have this thread 5 times a day?
>>
>>54073287
The very gesture of baring their code to the world is often enough to trust open source ever so slightly more than proprietary software. Is it bulletproof? No, it isn't. But statistically it's much more secure for the user still.
>lol you really believe smoking is bad for your health? you're still inhaling car gas fumes anyway!
>>
>>54073407

Because that's why you found Heartbleed before anybody else did, right?

There are many reasons to like open source software. Code quality is not one of them.
>>
>>54073550
Do you know how many heartbleeds lurk in Microsoft's codebase?
>>
>>54073539
>The very gesture of baring their code to the world is often enough to trust open source ever so slightly more than proprietary software.

I don't use proprietary software because I trust it more. I use it because it's plain fucking better than the competition.

Open Source software has a lot of areas that it surpasses proprietary software at - I'd never use a closed source webserver or web browser for example. But Desktop operating systems is something that Apple and Microsoft have Linux beaten at.

Swearing never to use closed source software for political reasons is retarded and only hurts you in the long run.
>>
File: 1456203510129-0.jpg (312 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456203510129-0.jpg
312 KB, 1280x720
>>54072629
>>54072706
Works fine with Nvidia for games
AMD cucks don't even have real support anymore lol
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04
>>54072725
Yis
>>
>>54073568

No, but I know that in 2002 Bill Gates delivered an edict that the then current security problems in Windows were unacceptable and they had to do better - much better. Windows today has a fantastic security record - not perfect, but really fucking good.

Linux never had that. Linus himself has repeatedly stated again and again that he doesn't really give a shit about security any more than any other types of bugs. It is only a matter of time before his slack views on security come back to bite the Linux kernel - big time.
>>
>>54073684
>No
NSA does.
>>
>>54073580
>But Desktop operating systems is something that Apple and Microsoft have Linux beaten at.
>Apple
How? Because they have prettier stock themes?
>Microsoft
A whole different world from Linux. The main catch they have over it is legacy support, which isn't due to being closed source. For casual use Windows is great, but once you're eventually forced to go under the hood a little (troubleshooting being the one inevitable reason) you discover fucking R'lyeh.
>Swearing never to use closed source software for political reasons is retarded and only hurts you in the long run.
I use Arch and Manjaro so I'm far from being a fosstard, but that doesn't mean that if presented with open and closed source software at the same time, I won't automatically lean more towards the former.
>>
>>54073684
Is that why Windows 10 still has several times more code execution vulnerabilities than the average popular Linux distro?
>>
>>54072629
Debian is pretty sweet. Few errors with peripherals but if you know how to roll it's all fine.
>>
>>54072958
Stallman says it matters.
>>
>>54073754
>I use Arch and Manjaro so I'm far from being a fosstard

The lack of awareness here is amazing.

Sorry, if you use fucking Arch, you're a fosstard.
>>
>>54073947
Arch has probably the easiest access to nonfree software out of all the main distros bar Ubuntu.
>>
Uhm, no actually. Linux is actually very well supported. The problem lies in hardware and firmware blobs not being compatible with linux.
>>
File: windows.jpg (111 KB, 881x711) Image search: [Google]
windows.jpg
111 KB, 881x711
>>54073778

Wrong.
>>
>>54073996
add up the total for each windows version you idiot.
>>
>>54073996
>no source given
>2014
>doesn't mention what kind of vulnerabilities
https://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=0
When you look up the details, you'll see the vast majority of Linux vulnerabilities are just DDOS shit, while the actual juicy code execution ones are actually Windows' forte
>>
>>54074037
That would be wrong too. It's not coincidence that the numbers came out so similar.
>>
File: catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png (17 KB, 600x203) Image search: [Google]
catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png
17 KB, 600x203
>>54073630
That was an entirely positive development. AMD now has the best open source driver both in terms of performance and feature support. Intel's open driver is still stuck at OpenGL 3.3 while the AMD driver will be at 4.3 in the next release.
>>
>>54073968

You're not using CentOS or Debian or Ubuntu on a server. You'er a fosstard.
>>
It's actually ok.
>>
>>54074290
And you're a retard. Debian is the leading fosstard distro, even if FSF doesn't entirely approve of it.
>>
>>54073996
source?
>>
can someone explain what fosstard is to us newbs?
>>
>>54074505
user of opensource/free software.
>>
>>54074523

This is also know as "practically everybody".
>>
>>54072671
One thing is being free software and a completely different matter is the quality of the software itself, which is what we are discussing here. You freetards are so dumb and sheep that you really can't see that it's shit, and that's why Linux on the desktop hasn't improved significantly after all these years, because freetards are completely unable of self criticism.
>>
>>54073944
I don't care.
>>
>>54074653
proof?
>>
>>54072629
Yup, why I now own a Mac after 7 years or so of using linux. The #1 problem is commercial support, now I keep linux where it belongs: in a rack on a server.
>>
Gnome and KDE are indeed shit. Xfce isn't. Joke is on baiting OP
>>
>>54072706
>two functioning brain cells

Thanks for your self-description
>>
File: Untitled2.png (110 KB, 1608x366) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
110 KB, 1608x366
>>
>>54072707
4chan runs on FreeBSD actually
Why don't people know this? What's happened to you /g/
>>
File: niggers.jpg (110 KB, 969x471) Image search: [Google]
niggers.jpg
110 KB, 969x471
toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report
>>
>>54074812
Ohoho Winkids jut got R E K T
>>
>>54072629
FUCK YOU!!!

Linux makes a great desktop for me, i even have Debian with KDE on the desktop for my 83 year old mom, i do the maintenance for her but she likes Linux better than windows because Linux is more stable and secure,

microsoft windows is just a marketing tool for spammers disguised as an operating system
>>
I use Linux and every time I use Skype the screen goes black and I have sign back in every time when I'm not actually touching my mouse or something
>>
>>54072629
Sure, as long as we admit that everything else is even worse.
Install Gentoo.
>>
probably if ur a pleb
>>
http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Scheduler-Bad
>>
I like it.
>>
>>54075729
>Sure, as long as we admit that everything else is even worse
/thread
>>
File: 1376277593703.gif (852 KB, 326x300) Image search: [Google]
1376277593703.gif
852 KB, 326x300
>>54075804
>The researchers were able to fix some of the scheduler bugs where there was a 23% performance improvement on a popular database with TPC or a shocking 137x performance improvement on HPC workloads.
>>
Top kek
>>
>>54075804
>free software "developers"
>>
>>54073630
>>54074264
fglrx is being replaced with AMDGPU PRO hybrid stack based on open source driver
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Hybrid-Linux-Driver
>>
>>54073944
Stallman says it matters to the person running the server. It doesn't matter *to you* whether the web hosts uses free software or not.
>>
>>54073684
>os has statistically more malware by a multitude of hundreds of millions
>great security track record

HOLY SHIT SO YOU ARE ACTUALLY RETARTED???
>>
>>54073684
It still doesn't checksum the install files of a program becasue it's the only OS in the market without a package system, even mobile OSes have it.
>>
>>54075677
shitty closed source program
>>
>>54072629
Yeah is kinda shitty but I use it and I think is just enough for me, and runs smoothly most of the time, I only use windows because of office sometimes and games because for games Linux is the ultimate shit
>>
>>54072629
nice try Pajeet
>>
>>54072706
werks on my machine
>>
>>54075729
>Sure, as long as we admit that everything else is even worse.
Pretty much this.
>>
>>54073684
Windows today does not have a fantastic or really fucking good security record. It has a much better record now than it did, but its security in the past was somewhere between 'fucking abysmal' and 'non-existent', so up is basically the only direction it could have gone.
>>
Uh, no? What the fuck is "desktop"? It's fine on my desktop.

Or are you one of those braindead autists that think a "desktop" computer is incomplete without office, photoshop, support for the newest manchild video game rendering card, and useless high performance tearing free 3d user interface effects and drop shadows?
>>
>>54072958
>only non-free javascript matters

There is literally no such thing retard
>>
>>54079415
if you can't read and understand the code, it's non-free

that means all GNU software is non free :^)
>>
It is, but the alternatives are even worse.
>>
>>54072629
Fuck off Microsoft. Linux is only bad if you're retarded.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.