[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sick of Windows and Linux is shit. Is hackintosh viable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17
File: hackintosh-logo-big.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
I'm sick of Windows and Linux is shit. Is hackintosh viable?
>>
>>54061353
>Linux is shit.
Care to explain?
>>
>inb4 HAR HARR U MUST USE SOFTWAREZ TGAT REPSEKTS UR FREEDYMBZ IN EXCHANGE FIR ACTUAL FUNCTIONALITY FUCK OFF HAR
>>
>>54061353
Yeah, just read about it and get the proper hardware beforehand.
My old h77, i7 3770, r9 270x worked out of the box, I only had to choose an audio kext once and everything else just werked, full video acceleration and shit.
>>
>>54061364

Fundamental things still don't work out of the box in 2016
>>
>>54061398
>Fundamental things
like...
>>
>>54061408

Sound, wifi, graphics that don't tear while watching movies..

Stuff that Windows has had figured out since the 90's.
>>
>>54061432
>sound
works out of the box on any distro since 2010
>wifi
see above
>graphics
see above
>>
>>54061448

I must be using really unpopular hardware then, because that's not my experience with multiple distros.
>>
>>54061464
It's not just you bro
>>
>>54061448

>sound
hisses really loud and only works on the left side
>wifi
only works if you have one of the two that poorfag volunteer devs could afford and test
>graphics
distros always ship with extremely bad oss driver, requiring the module to be blacklisted in 3 fucking config files before the proprietary driver will even load, even that takes months of tweaking to get all the quirks out of it
>>
>>54061371

tonymacx86 looks pretty simple. I'm impressed with how far its come in the last decade
>>
Welcome to the world of commercially supported Unix, OP. I've been here since Solaris 7 and now I run MacOSX. Come on in, the water is fine.
>>
>>54061567

Bryan Cantrill said in an interview the only desktop unix is os x. I've wanted to get into ever since then.
>>
>>54061353
Why don't you just try it? It seems like you've already uninstalled Windows judging by this thread.
>>
>>54061353
Been running with one on Skylake hardware for the last month. No complaints.
>>
>>54061353
>Is hackintosh viable?
yes.

go here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-april-2016.html

and build a pc with compatible parts, osx will run flawlessly.

i've been using hackintosh exclusively for over 3 years now, no probs at all.
>>
>>54061353
Mac OS is shit. Using almost all open source cross-platform software, official Apple programs are completely stripped for features and hold my hand more than I can tolerate.

Mac user, speaking from experience.
>>
File: autism level.gif (68 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
autism level.gif
68 KB, 500x293
>>54063854
>>
>>54061353
Why would you install a low quality OS?
Apple aims just for looks. Just look at their broken old shell.
>>
>>54061432
>>54061448
>sound
>works out of the box on any distro since 2010
>wifi
>see above
>graphics
>>54061432
>graphics that don't tear while watching movies..

OK, I'll give you this... Certain hardware, vsync needs to be enabled, but seriously, you can't install a video driver? It's not rocket science.

>Is hackintosh viable?

Short answer: No. You think you have problems with hardware under Linux? Are you fucking kidding? OS X has WAY worse hardware compatibility than Linux, and getting your kexts to work properly (if any exist for your hardware) can range from equally difficult to tweaking configs for Linux to far more involved than tweaking configs for Linux.

You'll have to either pay the ridiculous Apple mark-up on compatible hardware or expect to spend more time getting things to work (if possible at all, which is less often) than you do under Linux.

This gets worse with 10.11 El Capitan too, due to rootless (or 'System Integrity Protection' as Apple call it)

Then there is the issue of FaceTime and iMessage... Those aren't going to work unless you have MLB & ROM serial numbers that pass Apple's checks... These cannot yet be reliably faked.

Lastly, you have the software issue. Apple has done an incredible job of locking its users into the App Store. On Linux, you just download and install packages. On Windows, you can probably find a copy of whatever you need for free somewhere (even if it's PirateBay). But on OS X, you'll find that there is no alternative source for the majority of applications, it's pay via the App Store or go without.

tl;dr: OS X is more trouble than it's worth. Trust me, I multiboot, and I only ever bother to boot into OS X when I'm transferring shit on/off people's iPod's.
>>
>>54064100
I literally got all of those things working after a few days of Google searching.
>>
File: whichone.png (4 MB, 3664x1320) Image search: [Google]
whichone.png
4 MB, 3664x1320
>>54064060
>low quality
oh the irony
daily reminder all you freenet faggots are using previous generation gui
you're all stuck in the past
you decide which one is the eyesore in pic related
>>
File: DisGonBeGudBear.gif (1 MB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
DisGonBeGudBear.gif
1 MB, 300x167
>>54064100
This guy. As someone whos has built a specific hackintosh machine it still wasnt worth it. All that time I tried to get my Hackintosh working (semi)properly I could have spend getting an perfect linux setup.

Tearless video is easy with compton.

buy an atheros wifi with free drivers.

read the wikis to get sound and video set up correctly. (If they arent ready by default)

YOURE DONE :)
>>
>>54064100
lol, hackintosh has way worse hardware support, but software is WAY better. So all he must do is to get proper hardware and enjoy good OS, while you will be enjoying your shitty terminal because you got nothing else to do but to be a fucking home sys.admin.
>>
File: draper.jpg (44 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
draper.jpg
44 KB, 413x395
>>54064208

Enjoy being stuck on your installed version with no way to update, along with lack of support for options that should be in the default OSX install. If you want a Unix desktop, install PcBSD.
>>
>>54064272
or just buy a 5k imac
>zero cables
>aesthetic
>workstation grade
>same price as dell 5k monitor
pretty good bargain, apple should just stop being complete assholes and sell the regular imacs for what they're actually worth
>>
>>54064308
If you could still use it as just a display, I would.

But Apple killed that capability, so I won't.
>>
>>54064308
I've been seriously considering buying one. Beyond all the memes, it's a pretty good bargain for a 5k display, and I'm pretty fucking tired of all the cables.
>>
>>54061364
>>54061408
If you work in a field that is not CS/code related and which involves using a computer, chances are that you will need to use industry standard software which is not available on Linux, and available open source alternatives are almost always inadequate for professional use, nonexistent, or are not compatible with the rest of the office or the equipment you need to run with them.
>>
File: ButREALLY.jpg (6 KB, 188x250) Image search: [Google]
ButREALLY.jpg
6 KB, 188x250
>>54064308

If OP isnt running any OSX exclusive software why would he spend ~1100 on a new computer?
>>
>>54064369
He wants OSX for a reason which is most likely to use as workstation. If my work is on the line I'd much rather invest on official software with regular updates and all the nice features of stress free compatibility.
>>
>>54064368

Most companies provides computers for work. OP implied this is a personal machine.
>>
OP, it all depends on your hardware and needs.

-Do you have a semi decent AMD GPU? (I dislike AMD but I said decent as in 280x or some shit)
-Do you just shitpost, do graphic design or programming and want a fancy, consistent and comfortable UI?
-Do you want to deal with less issues in the long run, maybe more at the beginning?
-Do you use an intel processor that is not the latest thing on the market right now?

If so, yes. It is viable and recommendable. If not, please proceed to use a linux distro instead. If you really mind your video games, please use Windows instead. If you don't want any of that, please use FreeBSD. If you don't want FreeBSD, please use Amiga.
>>
I built a computer without even thinking of the existence of this, just going intel and AMD and my motherboard ain't even Gigabyte like some people would recommend for this. Only thing I needed was sound drivers. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrything else works fine except FaceTime and messages and I don't even want those things.

I got so used to this shit, I stopped playing games and I bought myself a magic trackpad for like 40 dolla. This shit is neat
>>
File: MindBlown.gif (1024 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
MindBlown.gif
1024 KB, 260x146
>>54064404

OP expressed interest in a Hackintosh. The only reason to build a hackintosh is either from an academic perspective, or monetary perspective (to save money from buying official apple).

If it it a monetary case, he is buying it for himself. No company is buying a hackintosh. If that is the case it is NOT a dedicated work machine.
>>
>>54061529
Decade? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>54064416
Plenty of people do work stuff on their own computers, though, if nothing else there are almost always cases where they need to do some kind of last minute thing on a day off or after hours.

I guess using Linux could be a good way to get out of doing off-hours work, but it's not gonna make you very popular with your employer.

I assumed OP wanted to do some kind of work on his computer, because he's obviously not going to build a Hackintosh for gaming and there's no real reason to buy anything more than a $500 laptop if all you want to do is browse the internet and watch videos or whatever.
>>
>>54064100
>and getting your kexts to work properly (if any exist for your hardware) can range from equally difficult to tweaking configs for Linux to far more involved than tweaking configs for Linux.

Download KextBeast, put .kext files on the desktop, open up KextBeast, oh god jesus fucking christ this is so hard where's my terminal why do I have to use the equivalent of a windows installer

>This gets worse with 10.11 El Capitan too, due to rootless (or 'System Integrity Protection' as Apple call it)

Which you can disable by using a configurator and ticking a box. It might take a few clicks to get there, granted

>Lastly, you have the software issue. Apple has done an incredible job of locking its users into the App Store.

Most OSX software worth a shit is acquired outside the App Store (and like Windows, it can be acquired quite easily for "free"). Some of it is even quite worth it (like BetterTouchTool, just pay 4 fucking dollars to be able to do a bajillion things with your trackpad, where's the alternative to that on linux or windows?)
>>
>>54064100
Agreed with you until this:
>it's pay via the App Store or go without.

Nope, you're fuckin' wrong buddy.
>>
>>54064190
>root@vapenation
>>
>>54064543
>but it's not gonna make you very popular with your employer

If your employer doesnt have enough money to provide you a company machine they sure as shit arent going two thoughts about what OS was used to complete whatever work they requested.

And If your employer is requesting you use your own personal resources to complete company tasks you seriously need to reconsider your employment with them.
>>
>>54061368
>maybe if I use mistyping and capslock I'll make opinions opposite to mine look silly
No one cares what OS you use anon.
>>
>>54064610
>go green
>>
>>54061432
>Linux has bad driver compatibility and requires lots of tweaking
>I'll use Hackintosh instead!
OP is the gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>54064632
It's not about what OS, I meant that you could use Linux as an excuse, like they call you up on Saturday and you can say "oh, sorry, it'll have to wait until Monday because I can't run SolidWorks on my home computer" or whatever.

And yeah, I get the sentiment, but my experience is that most of the jobs I've had where they'd occasionally have me do a bit of weekend work had salaries so much better that it was worth it.

But that aside, pretty much everybody I know with specialty skills uses them to either make extra by freelancing on the side, or does their own personal projects. (I.e. my game dev friends all have indie projects, my CAD friends have race car projects they're designing stuff for, every editor ever has their own indie film project, etc.)
>>
File: PittLaugh.gif (906 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
PittLaugh.gif
906 KB, 500x349
>>54061353
>>
>>54061364
>>54061408
>>54061448

The denial is real.
>>
>>54061353
>Is hackintosh viable
If you have a computer you want to do it to, no.
If you're going to build a computer for it, probably not.
>>
>>54061353
>and Linux is shit
desu if you [think you] hate GNU/Linux, you will not like Mac OS much either. If you also don't like Windows, you're pretty much out of options, because most operating systems besides Windows are very similar.
>>
take an intel cpu, 1150 socket, and everything will work out of the box, with minimum effort.
just be sure to follow tonymacx86 method.
did it in multiple systems with success
>>
>>54064682
I know I'm going to get shit on by this, but currently and until AMDGPU drivers have better compatibility, I will say that AMD drivers on Hackintosh are better than radeonsi/fglrx on GCN 1.0 cards.
>>
>>54061432
>Sound, wifi,
never had issues

>graphics that don't tear while watching movies..
now there is a real issue, I believe the open source amd drivers + wayland result in no tearing. I'm unfortunately using nvidia proprietary drivers on all my machines and I've been in tearing hell for years

>>54061448
he is actually right about the tearing, I know it's something no one likes to talk about but even with the compton meme flags I cannot get it to stop

>>54061513
>>wifi
>only works if you have one of the two that poorfag volunteer devs could afford and test
I've literally never used any computer that didn't have working wifi out of the box... are you trying to install debian? might need a non-free driver

>>54064100
>OK, I'll give you this... Certain hardware, vsync needs to be enabled
that doesn't fix the tearing
>>
>>54064190
>comparing stock i3 to mac os
why? is the idea just that GNU/Linux isn't pre-riced and that triggers you?
>>
>>54064745
No, not everything out of the box, but most. Integrated sound usually requires drivers (that multibeast includes anyways and that's the same amount of effort as installing them on windows) but yeah.

Having a haswell refresh with this feels sweet.
>>
>>54064770
I had a nightmare of a time getting a Broadcom wifi chipset to work on a laptop with Ubuntu back in the day, took like 3 hours at the command line with ndiswrapper or something like that.

I'm sure the linux diehards will laugh at that, but it's the kind of thing that makes me stay away from it.
>>
File: niggayoudontunderstand.jpg (91 KB, 447x550) Image search: [Google]
niggayoudontunderstand.jpg
91 KB, 447x550
>>54064692

Thats not an argument. This doesn't address why a hackintosh is better than a linux setup. OP is presumably on Windows now. OP never requested access to industry specific software like CAD (where a license is over 1k).

If OP required a new dedicated work machine for freelancing work then he could buy one and expense it out during taxes along with whatever OSX specific software is desired in the switch.
>>
>>54064770
Open amd drivers on wayland im gnome indeed are tearfree.
>>
File: HowAboutNoSloth.gif (879 KB, 229x188) Image search: [Google]
HowAboutNoSloth.gif
879 KB, 229x188
>>54061353
>>
>>54064770
The thing about tearing is that it gets even weirder depending on the configuration.

For instance, I try Gnome 3, open source drivers. No tearing on the desktop or videos, has a bit of lag here and there. Open up Chromium, there goes the fucking tearing.

Use proprietary drivers, tearing everywhere. Enable tear free desktop, that fixes everything... except for the shit performance which is worse than with open source drivers.

Try Cinnamon: same thing fucking happens. Try Ubuntu MATE, the only way to stop tearing is to use Compiz (not Compton even). And of course Compiz somehow ignores Chromium as well even though it's configured so it doesn't.

None of this random shit happens on either mackintosh or Windows. I just can grab Chrome (or chromium or whatever) and tearing is just not there. Unless I use Windows 7 and the classic theme, for obvious reasons. And lately I had many people tell me "hurp just stop using proprietary drivers" but the very first thing I try always is open source ones. Hell proprietary drivers don't automagically install themselves, maybe Manjaro happens to have a live distro that can boot with those but that's the exception for fucks sake.
>>
>>54064928
Meant hackintosh not mackintosh.
>>
File: Parcel.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
Parcel.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>54061353
>i want unix
>can i use the most neutered version of unix of my desktop???
>>
>>54064875
Any way to test that on a live distro?
>>
>>54061432
>having shitty unsupported hardware work out of the box
>using hackintosh
pick one and only one
>>
File: PerfectSystem.jpg (74 KB, 479x640) Image search: [Google]
PerfectSystem.jpg
74 KB, 479x640
>>54061353
>>
>>54064823
I wasn't saying it was, just replying to the people who asked what fundamental issues Linux has, and saying that lack of software availability is a fundamental issue.

Of course, the REAL issue with Linux that it's an immense pain in the ass that requires more work to get less done, and outside of a few very specialty niches it's a much less functional OS than Windows or Mac and really only makes sense if tweaking your OS is your hobby, and yet people on /g/ and elsewhere constantly promote it as if it's a viable alternative for normal people.
>>
>>54064944
you mean the only version that doesn't feel like a hacked together tool that works only if you want no software support
>>
Since some of you run hackintosh I must ask, how do you test your GPU performance so you know whether there's something wrong or not?

Also I'm using HWMonitor and my CPU multiplier is going from 8.0x to 32.0x at random
>>
>linux is shit
>>>/paidshills/
>>
File: barglrBassett.jpg (64 KB, 400x601) Image search: [Google]
barglrBassett.jpg
64 KB, 400x601
>>54065002

We were never talking about the general population. OP is talking about running a hackintosh on /g/, a specific niche in a specific community. It is assumed they have a certain interest in computing if they are posting here.

>it's an immense pain in the ass

Thats your opinion, I, along with others in this thread have found inital setup very painless.

>lack of software availability is a fundamental issue.

Software availability isn't applicable at this point as there are no specific requirements by OP.
>>
>>54064946
Nope
>>
>>54065083
>linux isn't shit use my superior os with no proper file picker in 2016
>>>/freeshills/
>>
>>54065108
>no proper file picker
>he still thinks GNU is responsible for the obsolete browser Firefox sticking with a shit graphical toolkit
Fuck off, shill.
>>
File: CatStare.jpg (25 KB, 314x516) Image search: [Google]
CatStare.jpg
25 KB, 314x516
>>54065108
>file picker
>>
File: 1460545641358.png (30 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
1460545641358.png
30 KB, 600x429
>>54065108
>>
>>54064573
>Download KextBeast, put .kext files on the desktop, open up KextBeast, oh god jesus fucking christ this is so hard where's my terminal why do I have to use the equivalent of a windows installer

KextBeast can't install the kexts to your EFI partition so they survive OS updates.

>Which you can disable by using a configurator and ticking a box. It might take a few clicks to get there, granted

IF you can get your NVRAM working, which, despite having tried every process I could find for doing so, I have not been able to do. (This prevents your unsigned kexts from loading)

>Most OSX software worth a shit is acquired outside the App Store (and like Windows, it can be acquired quite easily for "free").
So why did you only list an example of one you had to pay for (I assume via the App store)?
>Some of it is even quite worth it (like BetterTouchTool, just pay 4 fucking dollars to be able to do a bajillion things with your trackpad, where's the alternative to that on linux or windows?)
>>
>>54065135
>it's not a problem that most programs use a shit toolkit for windows
>it's not like we can't just change the toolkit's code, because......
please, don't even
also, don't call it GNU. GNU is not a system.
>>
>>54065135
it's gtk, not firefox

you can get a patched gtk2 that has thumbnails if you really want
>>
File: 20160416_001719.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160416_001719.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Give it a try OP, I've been using a hackintosh for about a year. Put it in a G5 case recently and it's working great. I recommend Clover.
>>
If you don't like Windows and Linux, use BSD.
>>
>>54061364
no good audio/video/photo related software (make most of my money using related software)
>>
>>54066072
>no good audio/video/photo related software

DreamWorks Animation use Linux since 2001, and use more than 1,000 Linux desktops and more than 3,000 Linux servers.

Industrial Light & Magic (LucasFilm) use Linux.

Disney-Pixar use Linux, and their software, RenderMan, is available free for Linux.

RenderMan is basically add-ons they wrote for Autodesk Maya, which, of course, is available for Linux.

So the top 3 Animation/Special Effects studios in the world use Linux, but there's no good video software for it?

Riiiight. Shill elsewhere.
>>
File: 1451090758940.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451090758940.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Yeah, it's worth it.
>>
>>54065108
>file picker
Never change pajeet, never change.
>>
>>54067375
which "linux" though??
>>
>>54064100
My experience did not match yours. Installed El Cap on my cheap Haswell i3+Gigabyte H81 series mobo build. Installing it was fiddly and I had to google quite a bit, but it now works perfectly and I use it exclusively for work (remote programming jobs).

I can tell you haven't actually used an ElCap hackintosh, because Clover bypasses SIP entirely.

>I have to actually pay for the software products and services I use
>This is somehow an issue
Might I suggest getting a job?

I used desktop Linux for years. Now, having used OS X, I doubt I'll ever go back to it. It's a great server OS, but on the desktop... holy shit, how and why did I put up with it for so long.
>>
>>54067503
What program are you using for the terminal windows?
>>
>>54061398
If your obscure hardware has problems with Linux in fucking 2016 then Hackintosh won't even boot, most likely.
>>
>>54064770
How the fuck are you guys getting tearing in anything, in 2016?
Just use GNOME 3 / Compiz / Compton. No, KDE does not work fine.
>>
>>54068061
>I can tell you haven't actually used an ElCap hackintosh, because Clover bypasses SIP entirely.

What version of Clover does this? I used El Cap Developer Previews right from the start, and Clover did NOT bypass SIP at that point. And, as I previously stated, you couldn't turn it off without working NVRAM (Which Clover is supposed to be able to emulate even if your hardware doesn't have it, but it didn't work for me.)
>>
>>54065862
embodiment of a mac user, cant go 2 seconds without showing every their shitty apple products
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.