[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VIM is a meme right? People don't actually use this turd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8
File: vim.png (90 KB, 1022x1024) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
90 KB, 1022x1024
VIM is a meme right? People don't actually use this turd in 2016 right?
>>
I-I use it
>>
>>54054150
Why wouldn't they?
>>
>>54054225
>turd
>>
>>54054150
Some people are extremely efficient with it.
ie: navigating to any part of the document almost instantly without touching the mouse.

But for most users it's a meme.
>>
Vim itself is a meme. However vim controls are GOAT.
>>
>>54054150
Nice post, looking forward to 300 posts of meaningless discussion.
>>
>>54054356
you just took part in the "meaningless discussion", idiot
>>
8/8
>>
File: 1419449187250.jpg (63 KB, 957x558) Image search: [Google]
1419449187250.jpg
63 KB, 957x558
>>54054150
Well what do you use as a terminal text editor, anon?

You DO have a terminal editor right? I mean, what if you are interacting with some sort of server?
>>
Only thing worse than falling for the vim meme is falling for the emacs meme
>>
>>54054343
Are there any other text editors that copied the vim controls? - maybe as a plugin?
>>
>>54054408
I keep all my code in properly maintained repositories and push/pull changes as needed. I never have to do any editing on the server.
>>
>>54054408
I use Nano
>>
>>54054437
what about configuration files?
>>
>>54054436
Like half of them have vim mode, either as stock or through a plugin. And then there are things like neovim that actually work well compared to vim. Evil mode in Emacs is also pretty fucking good as long as you spend some time in the setup.
>>
>>54054436
Emacs has EVIL, the Emacs-VI-Layer, and it works very nicely
You can use Spacemacs, a framework for addons that is pre-configured to be vim-like in behavior
>>
>>54054413
Emacs is love, Emacs is life.
>>
>>54054408
>what is sshfs
>>
>>54054483
Nano is the only sane terminal editor.
>>
>>54054437
But what about in cases where it isn't your code and repository?

It's easy to deal with things like that for personal projects, but servers aren't really kept up to date. I think it's important to be able to work one terminal text editor. Vi(m) is a good choice because it's pretty common, and of course Vim has extremely powerful plugin support.

As far as the shortcuts though, I think it just comes down to personal preference.

>>54054483
Perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>54054436
I thought Sublime has Vim mode anon. I never try it tho.
>>
>>54054150

nice argument

let me present a real argument: people who use notepad++, textmate, sublime, atom, vscode, and any of the various gnome/kde graphical editors that lack linting and code completion make no fucking sense.

If all you need your editor to do is display line numbers and change the font color based on language tokens, which is all any of the above editors do, fucking use nano or vim. What the fuck are these editors doing for you?

I don't judge people who use big IDE's. They're fucking helpful. I have bindings in my vim for running linters and highlighting problems, and I have omnicompletion set up for my most common languages. Coupled with snippets, ctags, and cscope, i'm essentially using an IDE-- but the difference is that mine is opt-in. Completions never pop up (and the engine never runs) unless I explicitally ask. Documentation pops up for functions-- only if I make it. Snippets all the same.

So i'm essentially in a plaintext editor, but when I forget something, I don't switch over to a web browser. This is the sweet spot. Vim still opens in 100ms or less. Its lightweight and quick to edit anything. But it's also capable of doing real completion.

People who use emacs exist in a similar sweet spot. People who use VS or IntelliJ don't exist in such a sweet spot-- it's always on and clunky to move around quickly. It's abstracted from your build process and compilers.

To bring it back to my opening-- graphical editors without any integration exist in the worst of both. Removed from the command line and your utilities, and without any fucking benefit except a pretty UI. No code helpers. No benefit whatsoever.

Now stop making these threads, faggot.
>>
>>54054436
I'm sure atom has Vim lpugins.

There is also a plugin for code::blocks that offers VIM support I believe. If you are still used to an IDE but want to dip your toes in VIM, might be a good place to start.
>>
>>54054150
It's pretty nice, I used to have hjkl navigation but now I love it.

I didn't even finish the whole vimtutor and I'm enjoying a lot of nice editing shortcuts
>gg, G
>dw, d$, dd, p
>cw, c$,
>r
>v

I really like it as a text EDITOR.
>>
>>54054520
mcedit?
>>
I've used it for 10 years now and love it. For fast editing of a file it's way faster than a normal editor and I'm excited for the new version that is coming soon.

But for coding I stick to Visual Studio and eclipse, you can do omnicomplete and so on in vim but it's not an IDE that is usable for C# or Java.
>>
At this point I don't' understand why Emacs is not taught to everyone at school.
>>
>>54054483
Baby's first editor
>>
Fuck you, and fuck emacs. Vim or gtfo.
>>
i want (almost) every program to have vim keybinds.
>>
>>54054150
i do
>>
>>54054639
Minecraft?
>>
>>54054150
nice to know my board isn't the only one being shit up by these memefags
>>
>>54054520
What the actual fuck. Have you done any real editting in nano?
>>
File: indian-notepad-250x250.gif (19 KB, 249x237) Image search: [Google]
indian-notepad-250x250.gif
19 KB, 249x237
>>54054150
enjoy notepad.exe, pajeet.
>>
>>54054522
>>54054487
One off shit I use VIM.
>>
>>54054150
Memorize 50 keybinds to just ENTER TEXT
FUCK THAT
>>
>>54055144
> not remembering 'i' for insert
>>
>>54055166
I shouldnt have to learn a fuck ton of keybinds
just to work in a text editor. Its asinine
>insert
So you open a text editor,and you have to type a keybind to do anything
WOMEN LOGIC
>>
>>54055194
good thing there's evim aka "Vim for gumbies"
>>
>>54055222
nah.Ill stick to a text editor,that is just a text editor,and on stallman level autistim
>>
A while ago I decided to learn Vim for shits 'n giggles.
Then I started to get a feel for it and I started liking it a lot.

First I thought it was such a hassle to learn all these keybindings, even to just get around it's a lot of work but it really pays off in the end.
>>
>>54055247
You should have really started with Emacs instead but good for anyway. Making new muscle memory is good for your brains.
>>
>>54055247
>>54055194
Is putting places after commas also stallman level autism?
Or are you unable to comprehend such "normie-level autism"? That actually makes you an autist, instead of everyone else.
>>
>>54055311
"spaces" not "places", but you get the point.
>>
>>54054150
If you want a job in:
- Google
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Applel
- or <insert famous startup here>

You either know vim or emacs, or you're fired.
>>
>>54055409
[citation needed faem]
>>
>>54054150
Vim is okay, if you learn his shortcuts.
>>
>>54054150
if you are too dumb to learn vim how can you be expected to do anything of the things that takes a text editor to do?
>>
>>54055538
> his
of course its hers
>>
>>54054413
Only thing worse than falling for the emacs meme is falling for the org-mode meme
>>
My laptop is garbage. Kate and gedit both crash on me constantly, atom is a memory whore, and sublime costs money. Vim is the best option for me especially when I'm ssh'ing to my vps.
>>
>>54055539
You can't be expected to. That's the beauty of it. Anytime you see a post like OP's, you can rest assured they've never done anything useful with a computer a day in their lives, and have absolutely no fucking clue about anything.

When I see...
>zomg all these fucking binds for le text editor meemay le stupid le le le
...I just immediate translate it as...
>i am a clueless noobie who has never written a single line of code in his life

It's pretty accurate.
>>
>>54055194
I guess you shouldn't even have to learn function names, or even libraries or...

actually fuck it, why should you have to learn anything at all right? You should just snap your fingers - if even that - to create any perfect program.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
>>54054150

lots of people use the key bindings in other editors / ides for efficiency
>>
sublime does everything without having to dedicate yourself to learning a fucking text editor
>>
>use emacs
>it can browse the web, read mail and much more
>yet you cant have a 80 column limit
what the fuck
>>
>>54059429
Yes it can.
>>
>>54060552
how, by downloading some guy's elisp script?

why does it not come with emacs?

i also know about global-whitespace-mode, but that doesn't acutally prevent you from going over 80
>>
>>54059429
B-but Tetris
>>
>>54060585
auto-fill-mode is alright.
>>
>>54060585
But it does come with emacs....
>>
>>54054150
I am a Sysadmin, so i need a editor that runs in all my servers. (VI come with almost every linux distribution).
It's perfect for people how work with scripts languages and need do quick things (80% of my time).
They have a good syntax highlight, easy to remember functions, etc etc.
>>
>>54060585
auto-fill-mode
>>
>>54060585
(setq-default default-fill-column 80 auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)
>>
>>54055409
HAHAHAHAHAHA
no.
>>
>>54055409
what about acmeme though
>>
Is there a guide to learn how to navigate efficiently in vim? I know some commands about moving around but I can't see how this is faster than clicking wherever you want.
>>
>>54061309
You need to practice so hard that you become autistic. Then you can have a Vim sticker on your laptop.
>>
>>54061309
Use sneak or easymotion. It's much faster than clicking.
>>
>>54061309
vimtutor or
http://vim-adventures.com/
>>
>>54054437
So you reinstall the servers if an update or config breaks?
>>
>>54054150
>___ is a meme, right?
>People don't actually use ___ in 2016, right?
fucking filtered.
>>
>>54060585
How can you be this retarded when Emacs even comes with built-in help?

fill-column is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is 80
Original value was 70

Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
satisfies the predicate `integerp'.

Documentation:
Column beyond which automatic line-wrapping should happen.
Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.

You can customize this variable.
>>
>>54054150
No. Emacs is far superior to vim in all ways possible. To not understand this is to go against the church of emacs and our holy god richard stallman. May the holy liberation come to thee, in name of the Stallman "Richard Stallman" The Creator "Linus" And may you be delivered from evil the EVIL "System Daemons"

But in reality having to do :q and never leaving the home row is pointless.
>>
Fuck off OP. You know real engineers / coders only use VI.
>>
>>54062045
>real coders
>vi
Programmers traditionally used Emacs, sysadmins used vi.
>>
>>54062084
I was there. You got your editors backwards.
>>
>>54062045
maybe real webdevs
>>
>>54054150
at least 5 times more people use Vim today compared to Emacs.
>>
>>54054499
>>54054500
>>54054514
Emacs was my first editor, but I migrated to vim.

Always wanted to revisit Emacs and learn some of the more advanced features, but it seems so intimidating.
>>
File: 1460416256302.jpg (96 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
1460416256302.jpg
96 KB, 600x776
>>54062020
>And may you be delivered from evil the EVIL "System Daemons"
>>
>>54054150
I'm using it too
>>
>>54054150
Nah, VIM has been deprecated now. NeoVim is where it's at.

>>54054589
>gg, G
>dw, d$, dd, p
>cw, c$,
>r
>v
>No ci(, ca{, ci', ca", cit, ca> or shit like that
Man, you havent lived yet.

Sent from my NeoVim+Pentadactyl(tm)
>>
Neovim is fucking beautiful.
I've heard good things about Spacemacs.
>>
>>54062808
What's intimidating? It's not really hard to learn.

The hardest part about Emacs is figuring out your custom keybinds (assuming you don't use something like EVIL).
>>
>>54063609
I'll probably end up using EVIL, since the default keybinds were one of the main reasons I moved away from Emacs in the first place.

And it just seems intimidating because it's got a whole bunch of stuff in it. Like apparently I somehow started an email by accidentally pressing some keys and now I'm reading the guided tour inside of a web browser in my text editor.

And now somehow I have two buffers open on the same screen and shit is getting confusing.
>>
File: 1453769287207.png (591 KB, 3508x4960) Image search: [Google]
1453769287207.png
591 KB, 3508x4960
>>
File: 1451690239434.png (656 KB, 3508x4960) Image search: [Google]
1451690239434.png
656 KB, 3508x4960
>>
File: 1450140804210.png (471 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450140804210.png
471 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>54054150
Expirienced people use vi.
>>54063352
There's no such thing in Cisco IOS, for example.
>>
>>54054150
People do. “People” don't. (aka hipster web developers)
>>
>>54054150
Nope.

Normal people use Nano with syntax highlighting turned on. Real devs use Emacs.
>>
I use it, although admittedly only for editing config files and such. For that purpose it's easy and fast, though you have to put some work into the vim config itself to get the most out of it.
>>
>>54054150
OP must be a nano user..
>>
>>54055194
you should read a book about human computer interaction, try one from Alan Dix.
That would be better than talking out of your ass
>>
>>54058966
Dubs of truth. Emacs if fine though.
>>
>>54063352
>neovim
>guys vim is badly written we are gonna make it better
>the build system is awful we're gonna make that better too
>years later, Windows support still experimental
I guess portability is not part of a well done software and/or build system.
>>
>>54066362
Wouldn't a book like that mention Information Foraging/Scent, where vim fails miserably?
>>
>>54066698
The whole reason I switched to Vim in the first place was for ubiquity, I really like the fact that I can create the exact editor I want and use it on all the platforms I use. Kind of goofy that the first thing Neovim did was remove the assurance that I can use it everywhere.
>>
>>54066698
That's because Windows is a shitty OS nobody actually uses.
Seriously tho, the NeoVim community is quite open to contributions compared to Bram, send your patches if you find bugs.
Also, I tried the windows-qt client once and it worked flawlessly.

>>54066724
>Information Foraging/Scent
I have no idea what this means but I'll try to guess: you're saying that Vim fails at letting the user know how to do things. If I guessed right you're full of shit, when starting vim you get a splashcreen that tell you that :vimtutor and :help will teach you everything you need.
From that you can just :help [keyword] to find out how to do what you want to do.
>>
>>54054551
Theres youcompleteme and linter plugins for vim bruh
>>
>>54066775
>Also, I tried the windows-qt client once and it worked flawlessly.
Except python is still a nightmare, because you need to build shit.
>>
I personally used vim for a year and got fairly good at using it. However, there always was a place in my mind that wasn't comfortable with it -- it just wasn't very comfy. I stopped using it and am now using notepad++. Its more comfy (it would be really comfy if the gui was sleeker) but I really wish it had more power (like a built in console with ctrl-c that actually works, for instance).

The best editor (which doesn't exist ootb afaik) would be one that has all functionality accessible with the mouse though interacting with the gui, as well as accessible through keyboard commands. Also, if the editor itself didn't look like 90s dogshit that would help tremendously.
>>
>>54067459
Emacs has a menu that corresponds to key commands. Why you would ever want to use it after learning to use the keyboard is beyond me.

Both emacs and vim look a million times better than notepad++ with a few changes. Just change the theme, font, get rid of the menus, and use something like lightline or airline for vim.
>>
>>54068454
I'm not sure why I have that uncomfortable reaction, really, but whatever I did I couldn't help it. Honestly, the most comfy text editor I have ever used is probably regular old notepad. I think its because I don't have to worry about remembering anything or possibly making a mistake entering a command or having to switch an option on or off; when you start it it just works and there is literally nothing to worry about. Of course, using notepad for programming purposes is fuckin stupid for a multitude of reasons. If there was a notepad with nice font rendering, easily customizable syntax highlighting, no funny business with the encoding, just-type workflow, and a easy access integrated console that would be great
>>
>>54069066
TextAdept might be what you're looking for.
>>
>be me years ago
>learned basic of vim in a whim
>fast forward to now
>edit config on server (6000 lines)
>G
>it immediately goes to last line
>need to change something at the last sentence
>$ b b b c$

With standard text editor, maybe I'll press Pg Down 100+ times.

Vim is god tier editor on server when you only have access to command line.
I'm still learning it now, so I'm sure there are people that can edit document faster than me with vim.
>>
Windows is a meme right? People don't actually use this turd in 2016 right?
>>
>>54063609
I use GNU emacs with default keybindings and I only moved help prefix to C-? so I can use C-h like in readline.
>>
>>54069091
Not him but this looks amazing, thanks
>>
>>54069320
You're welcome, m8. I used TextAdept for a few months when I switched to Linux for the first time because it was the only proper Notepad++ replacement. But soon after I learned how to use Vim and never came back.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.