[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1430511207066.jpg (964 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1430511207066.jpg
964 KB, 1366x768
Previously on: >>54020762

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
What distro should I run on a home server? Going to be used for file sharing/media server/NAS locally (and occasionally remotely), SSH, print server, get through the VPN on my main machine, maybe seedbox, and maybe a security camera.
I'm deciding between Arch and Ubuntu Server, maybe Fedora Server.

On that note, what protocol should I use for local file transfer? I was planning on SMB but I've read NFS is faster. Does it have very great compatibility with Windows and can I set permissions as well as I could with SMB? I'll probably just use SFTP for remote access.
>>
>>54028565
Use which ever has the package manager and packaging style you prefer, it's the same shit at the end of the day.
>>
>>54028039
I installed Fedora on my laptop but now it can't boot from the CD drive. What should I do?
>>
>>54028777
Go back to the LiveCD
open terminal
(assuming you want to install on sda1):
grub-install /dev/sda1
>>
KDE Neon was a mistake (to install)
Although Neon impressed me, I have some weird problems with it:
> lsb-release is modified (even though neon was not supposed to be it's on distro)
> Some things are broken that are not broken in OpenSuSE Tumbleweed

Switching back to ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>>54028874
To add to that, discover what partition you want to install grub on with fdisk -l. (that's an "L") Find your desired hard drive/partition in the list and use it as an argument to the grub-install command
>>
>>54028874
What LiveCD?
What does grub-install /dev/sda1 do exactly? Sorry, I'm new
>>
>>54028777
>>54028874
I think you're misunderstanding his problem. He's saying he can't boot from the CD drive anymore, not that he can't boot into Fedora.

Do you know how to use BIOS? The Fedora partition is probably higher on the BIOS than the DVD drive is in the boot order. Spam F8 or Delete when booting up, look for boot menu, and that'll let you boot from the DVD drive.
>>
>>54028565
If you plan to run a specific service, pick something where that is supported by that distribution.
I am currently running Ubuntu with owncloud and I have nothing but pain.
Ubuntu won't update as it might break for people so I tried to use the PPA, and I constantly have to fix everything.
It might just be owncloud, but Ubuntu is anything but helpful. It has on several occasions just deleted my packages or installed older versions as ppas sometimes go 404.
Worst part is that it doesn't tell you before it is doing it.
So if you want to use owncloud, don't go Ubuntu.
>>
File: 1460188430520.png (418 KB, 404x479) Image search: [Google]
1460188430520.png
418 KB, 404x479
So I have this glorious piece of shit:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-5920G-Notebook.4217.0.html

The Acer Aspire 5920g. I want to into Linux on it, but how in the everloving fuck do you get the drivers to work.

Now this would be easy if my bro had kept the original graphics card, but he upgraded it to the strongest card the MXM graphics slot would take.

So now I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 4670. Supposedly it's meant to have switching graphics for power conservation, but that shit just doesn't fly. AMD doesn't support it any more officially, and the Linux drivers don't seem to support the switching function.

I last tried it on Crunchbang++. I kinda want to use the Arch guide I saw around here for a completely clean, custom Linux. Does anybody have any clue how not to burn the battery because lolno dpgu / igpu switch?
>>
>>54028974
There isn't even an option for the CD drive anymore.
I heard that removing the CMOS battery and draining the laptop's battery can fix this. Is that true?
>>
Can I boot up a hard disk with qemu/KVM?
>>
>>54028990
Don't forget to get rid of your own static and be grounded before fiddling with it.
You know, just in case.
>>
>>54028990
Yeah, that will restore your BIOS to default settings, and CD drives are typically at the top of the default boot order. You'll lose any other BIOS settings however (overclocks, BIOS-controlled fan options, power saving options, special boot options, etc), but that won't matter much for laptops.
>>
>>54029043
>>54029048
Thanks, I'll get on to it in the morning.
>>
>>54028982
No shit? That sounds terrible. Are the new versions of owncloud's server/service unstable, or are they some other packages? My condolences.
>>
>>54028987
I suppose including some specifics could help. As I said earlier, AMD says this is a legacy card and no longer supported. Even on Windows I have to use default VGA drivers. Ugh.

Do I have to bodge the ATI/radeon driver package in some way, or use "PRIME" ?
>>
File: 1458839486817.jpg (13 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458839486817.jpg
13 KB, 640x640
First-time beginner here
I'm going to install Arch Linux to learn the operating system
Wish me luck
>>
I tried what it is said in wiki but i fail to install grub
I want to dual boot arch with windows 10 which is installed in bios legacy with the efi partition.. i really need just the tips - it's probably a 2 commands job then it's done ... But can't find the damn commands
>>
>>54029212
grub-install /dev/sdxy

>>54029170
lel
>>
>>54029048
>>54029043
Is there any alternative to removing the CMOS battery?
>>
>ultra-widescreen monitor
>ubuntu
>firefox with tree-style tabs add-on

i've found the best web experience possible
>>
>>54029235
I got every single possible error the arch wiki has a work around - and I reached the end of the list with - success..
>>
>>54028039
I have a Gentoo question
Is it worthy to create my own Gentoo for work.
I currently use Mint which was pre-installed but I can use whatever I may like.
I am not very good with Gentoo though: I have managed to install it to the point where the install book ends - where one should start install software... it was painful and tiresome process but I guess I learned a lot so worth it...
oh yep, I almost forgot: my job is coding, i am a beginner though.
>>
>>54029443
install funtoo
emerge theprogramsyouwant
not that hard.
>>
is there any reason why a key would just die? my END and PgDn keys wont even register on xev for no apparent reason
>>
>>54029450
is that some kind of yet another meme I am not currently aware of?
>>
>>54029512
Suit yourself anon
>>
" Warning: GRUB strongly discourages installation to a partition boot sector or a partitionless disk as GRUB Legacy or Syslinux does. This setup is prone to breakage, especially during updates, and is not supported by the Arch developers."

What exactly "partition or partitionless disk" mean?

I'm trying install arch in dual boot with windows 10 - windows 10 is on one hard disk and I have a second hard disk on which I freed 120 gb - made it into a single partition trough cfdisk - made it bootable, formatted with ext4 - mounted but grub gives error on install...
>>
>>54028039
I installed mps-youtube, but it literally can't find anything.
/pink floyd
is the default example they give for finding pink floyd songs on youtube and it doens't work.
>>
File: 1460606804596.png (90 KB, 582x513) Image search: [Google]
1460606804596.png
90 KB, 582x513
>using anything but Arch Linux
>mfw someone claims to use GNU/Linux when they are running ubuntu or some other sub-human debian flavor
>>
>>54029576
Just install ubuntu, you'll thank me later.
>>
>>54029576
Install to eg /dev/sda not /dev/sda1
>>
>>54029597
I guess you accidently posted in the wrong thread, so no worries; I'll ignore your post.
>>
>>54029605

Wait this means I need a new hard drive? I don't want to format the /sdx/ drive.
So I have:
/sdx/ with /sdx1 having all my private data and 120 gb of unallocated space - how do I work around this?
>>
File: 1448008207491.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448008207491.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>54028039
>>
>>54029647
>Wait this means I need a new hard drive? I don't want to format the /sdx/ drive.
No just install grub to the drive you muppet, no formatting required. That error message said you were trying to install to a parttion, maybe sdx1 instead of just sdx
>>
>>54029707
Oh shit wait you are right, kek. I understand now what it meant.

BUT how do I remove grub in the future?
>>
>>54029584
Shit, what an amazing tool. Sorry anon, works ok here.
>>
I'm trying to install vscode on arch linux, its on AUR, and I am building it using makepkg and a PKGBUILD file.

This is my first time doing this, I think I did it right because when I used makepkg -sri in the directory with the PKGBUILD file it downloaded a zip file off the repo however I got this error.

==> ERROR: visual-studio-code.desktop was not found in the build directory and is not a URL.

I tried looking at the comments on the AUR page for help but either I missed something or its not there, I couldn't find specific help. I feel like the problem has to be with me, and I am hoping I'm missing something super obvious. I know that a tennet of arch-linux is to be self sufficient but I'm lost. Any advice on how to fix this?
>>
>>54028039
I have spotted an inconsistency in the OP, my friends.

Our name is /fglt/ and yet the IRC channel is flt.

Let's change the name of the channel?
>>
inb4 drama
>>
>>54028039
How do i disable the shitty xscreensaver nag on debian jessie? Already read the bug report and JWZ is retarded.
>>
>>54029877
nm I think I figured out what was wrong. I re-read the arch-wiki page on the AUR.

>Didn't download the snapshot
>instead I just copy and pasted the text from the "view buildfile" section and named the file PKGBUILD.

TEE HEE <3 ;P
>>
Finally managed to install arch only to have some serious problems, this shit was fun - but I'm too much of a linux noob to handle all this:

Not sure what to install for now Ubuntu or Fedora?
>>
>>54029724
I don't know if there is a standard way to remove grub. Generally you replace it with another bootloader or just don't point you bios at it.
>>
>>54030222
I highly recommend Debian Jessie.
Go grab a release from
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.4.0-live+nofree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

It's a good compromise of ease of use and learning something about how your computer runs. Another alternative is bunsenlabs. I would not recommend fedora because it's redhat's testing ground (Probably collects analytics) And ubuntu for the same reasons.
>>
>>54030261
>>54030222
+1 for Debian. Although maybe consider upgrading your netinstall of Jessie to Testing for desktop use.
>>
>>54029038
Yes
>>
>>54030222
Mint or Debian or Fedora. Ubuntu will be better after the next release.

They're all fine
>>
>>54030366
>Mint
kek - the fact that they got hacked so easy tells allot about how much interest was put into that project.
>>
>>54030555
Every distro got hacked at one time or another. Nothing is 100% foolproof... except botcoins. Those motherfuckers be solid adamantium.
>>
>>54030038
don't use software that's a bajillion years out of date anon
>>
Can anyone recommend me some icon themes?
>>
>>54030800
Numix-circle
Paper
>>
>>54029170
>>54030222
http://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html

>>54029898
We'd have to move everyone around to achieve this.

>>54030038
You'll have to patch is and recompile, or just use i3lock.
>>
I swear to GNU, if I ever see one idiot claiming "GTK broke my Firefox!" I will choke a process.
>>
>>54030937
GTK did break Firefox once, though...
>>
>>54030937
>swear to GNU
>choke a process
I like this

is there a -punk aesthetic for this?
>>
>>54030955

When did that happen?
>>
feels weird
>>
>>54031092
I assume he's talking about a recent Arch upgrade. The mailing list has been a shitstorm complaining about it.
>>
>>54031195

Exactly, that's the point. It wasn't GTK's fault, it was the custom themes' fault.
>>
File: lol.png (117 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
117 KB, 500x360
>>54030937
>I swear to GNU, if I ever see one idiot claiming "GTK broke my Firefox!" I will choke a process.

Unholy Satan in hell, I choked on my Coke reading this!
>>
>>54031248
>LOL GTK BROKE MY ANCIENT THEMES FUCK THE DEVS
>>
>>54031092
>>54031195
I was literally shitposting and had no idea about that.
>>
Linux 4.5-1 just made it to the Arch core repo... any other distros using it yet? Any major problems to speak of? Google search isn't revealing much.
>>
>>54031386
ooh
I wonder if my graphics card will work now
>>
File: rms_interjection.png (505 KB, 612x595) Image search: [Google]
rms_interjection.png
505 KB, 612x595
>>54028987
>I want to into Linux on it
>>
>>54031435
If you use nvidia, a kernel update probably makes things worse.
If you use amd, a kernel update might fix things.
>>
>>54031458
I use amd brah

nvidia cards all already work :^)
>>
>>54031435
Install it. Worst thing that happens is it doesn't work and you're back where you started.
>>
I'm trying to keep two computers have the same config and other files. Would rsync be suitable for this?

Ideally, I want them to have the same files all the time, with no "source" computer. Basically, whenever a file on one changes, I want it to be transferred to the other one. Is that a feasible use case?
>>
>>54031564
Use a synced directory on both that have the configfiles. Then symlink the actual files to the ones in the synced directory.
>>
Rather new to Linux, how do I create udev rules?
>>
>>54031564
Rsync sounds reasonable for this, although I would assume some existing solution for this already exists. I would imagine such a solution uses rsync, mind you, but it would be nice if you found something to do the heavy lifting for you.

If you make your own solution, you could do what the other Anon said, or you could simply make it work straight on the .config directory and every other .hidden file that's not a directory. «test -f» is your friend. Create a cron job to run at the wanted intervals. Most importantly, make it keep backups in case you mess something up.

But to reiterate, I can only imagine that there's something out there already. Probably several solutions. It sounds like something multiple people would want.
>>
File: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (88 KB, 1183x1024) Image search: [Google]
nixos-logo-only-hires.png
88 KB, 1183x1024
What do you guys think of NixOS and GuixSD distros?

Their package managers seem like they could be the future of Linux packaging. (I think Ubuntu was even trying to make something similar with "snappy", but I read that it's basically garbage compared to these others)

NixOS uses systemd though, and GuixSD is all GNU which means it will probably lack non-"free" software from it's repositories and my wifi and video card probably won't work.

I've installed NixOS and it seems really nice, I just wish there was a distro using one of these package managers with sysv init and without the autism of GNU. Has anyone else tried either of them?
>>
>>54032149
It would probably be easiest to base your distro off Gentoo and try to replace Portage by Nix using that as a framework.
>>
>>54032166
I have Gentoo installed on my main, so I guess I could try that.

But using nix on top of another existing distro is something I still can't wrap my head around yet. Wouldn't you expect massive breakage?
>>
How do I uninstall openbox on arch?

pacman -Rns openbox obmenu obconf

doesn't work

already removed some antergos-openbox-setup package
>>
>>54032319

Works on my machine, but then again I don't use Antergos so I don't have to deal with any surprises or unknowns.
>>
>>54032188
>Wouldn't you expect massive breakage?
Exactly. But isn't that part of the fun?
>>
>>54032336
>fun in torture
>linkek tards
>the ultimate masochists
>>
Is middle clicking on a page in Firefox and getting that scroll button which enables you to scroll with the mouse a Windows only thing?
I found the "EmulateWheel" option in Xorg. While it works, I'm not getting the button and I have to keep scrolling with my mouse. On Windows you just have to move the cursor a bit in the direction you want to scroll.
>>
>>54032331
>>54032319
Nevermind, didn't read error messages.
I also needed to remove the
lxappearance-obconf
dependency
>>
On Gentoo, if I select a profile, did that mean I don't have to set USE flags manually? Also, if I want to pure 64bit system with i3WM and firefox which profile(s?) should I select?
>>
>Offline security threat
So I got this flash drive I want to plug in.

Is there any sandboxing options for my file exporer?

I thought of using bash to retrieve the file from the flash drive but I am not feeling confident to plugging in the flash stick in the first place.

Linux doesn't have bullshit like autorun, does it?
>>
>>54032396
Right, this is all the shit I removed to uninstall openbox from Antergos, if anyone cares. Didn't test if I broke anything or not, though, and won't do that until tonight. :^)

pacman -Rns antergos-openbox-setup openbox obconf obmenu lxappearance-obconf openbox-menu lxinput lxmenu-data lxsession lxtask
>>
Does anyone know how to change the font on KDE Plasma 5.x's panel ? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and google isn't helping much.
>>
>>54032454
It's literally like the third icon in the settings menu called 'fonts' m8
>>
>>54032440

The lx- ones aren't related to Openbox. They're LXDE stuff. Why would you remove it anyway? Getting a pre-configured Ubuntu and removing things instead of installing from the minimal ISO is retarded. Doing that for Arch is on a whole different level of retardation.
>>
>>54032435
No it doesn't have auto run. Nothing should run without you running it or from something you installed. You shouldn't need to worry about sandboxing your file explorer if you are not going to be randomly executing everything in sight. If you are then you can run your file explorer as another user or something and then as long as you don't use sudo nothing can really fuck up your system without using some exploit and the only way to protect against that is having everything patched and up to date and not executing potentially malicous shite.
>>
>>54032390
firefox > option > advanced options > automatic scrolling
or some shit like that. I'm not in english.
>>
>>54032658

Noice. Strange that it's disabled by default on the Arch Linux build, but enabled on Windows.
>>
>>54032482
You mean the 'small' setting ?
Because I tried setting that to a different font, and it didn't change the font on the panel at all.
>>
>>54032435
>Is there any sandboxing options for my file exporer?
Probably not. If you need it to be secure, you may want to look into chrooting it. Using something like firejail with a custom profile might be a viable solution.

>I thought of using bash to retrieve the file
This would be just as doable as with any other file manager.

>Linux doesn't have bullshit like autorun, does it?
No, but if you want to avoid accidentally running a file from it, you can mount it with `noexec`.
>>
File: 1459650761584.png (17 KB, 1154x860) Image search: [Google]
1459650761584.png
17 KB, 1154x860
>>54028039
Feels bad man.

Even though the software is free, you never know what binary are you installing.

I don't think fsf should approve ANY binary based distro
>>
>>54032980
>you can mount it with `noexec`.
Thanks man
>>
>>54033043
>>54033043
It's not like you were going to go through millions of lines of code and inspect what everything does
>>
Are there any drawbacks to using UEFI over MBR? If my PC is capable of both, which should I use?
>>
>>54033176
>Are there any drawbacks to using UEFI over MBR?
Whut?
>>
>>54032725
it's disabled on every linux distribution. I never understood why, but all the people I know asked me about this issue.
>>
>>54033201
Like maybe a back door or something.
>>
>>54033218
UEFI is the new BIOS. GPT is the new MBR fyi
>>
What's the easiest way to move an 8GB file from my Windows machine to my Fedora VM?
>>
>>54033525
make a shared folder
>>
>>54033525
Ctrl+C
Ctrl+V
>>
In the windows command line, when I'm in a directory, tab cycles through files and folders available.

Why doesn't this occur in Fedora?
>>
Is BSD license evil?
>>
File: 1457793055912.jpg (46 KB, 766x460) Image search: [Google]
1457793055912.jpg
46 KB, 766x460
When I try to launch Fedora Live Image, after selected the test media and/or start Fedora choice, and it just sends me to a black screen, with a white line (to input something?).
Someone help pls
>>
>>54033683
Filtered.
>>
>>54033683
Are you using a live usb? You need to use a disk imager (or dd if on linux) not one of those linux usb softwares.
>>
>>54033714
Forgot link https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
>>
>>54033714
trying that now.
thanks famille
>>
>tar --help
>a fucking novel scrolls over my screen

>tar -xf [file]
>700 lines of Cannot mkdir: Read-only file system
>>
>>54033740
try tar --help | less
>>
>>54033635
Because bash doesn't do this by default. Either configure bash to do this, or use a shell like zsh or fish.
>>
>>54027924
Yes, it's called Funtoo.
>>
>>54033958
funtoo is so 2000s
use voidlinux or clearlinux instead
>>
>>54033975
>I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'll just repeat this meme I've heard before!
>>
>>54033671
Why? It doesn't protect you like the gpl but it's still free software and useful to some people.
>>
>>54034016
Many bsd projects are just fronts for proprietary projects. Like chrome, google input, darwin. The people working on these projects are indirectly giving these companies the means to destroy their own freedom.
>>
>>54034011
clearlinux is much more optimized than any gentoo-flavour could be, and this ootb. enjoy compiling your system while I am already browsing the interwebs at lightspeed, sucker.
>>
>>54034066
>original post was about customizing stuff
>b-but out-of-the-box this meme is better!
Good stuff, anon.
Nice try by claiming your incompetence on optimizing Funtoo means that it is impossible to optimize it as well.
>>
>>54034066
You sound like an ignorant moron who clearly doesn't understand anything about gentoo or funtoo.
Enjoy looking like a fool.
>>
>>54034066
>...a project that is building a Linux OS distribution for various cloud use cases
Oh yeah that sounds absolutely perfect mate.
>>
File: 1460264754318.gif (333 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460264754318.gif
333 KB, 250x250
so I wrote Fedora to my USB using the CORRECT writing software...
Still getting a black screen when I chose to start Fedora. God this is irritating.
>>
>>54034268
Maybe try a distro which isn't designed as a testing ground.
>>
>>54034292
>nice meme
>>
>>54034296
>denies its actual purpose
ok son
>>
>>54034268
is this an UEFI-related problem, maybe? If you have a relatively new machine you might need to enable or disable some settings in your bios first.

in your previous post you wrote about "a black screen, with a white line". Do you still have this "white line", and how does it look? only like this: "_"
or is there more?
>>
>>54034039
This is true but if someone wants to release his code this way he does not do anything evil to any user by this.
It's not like people in free software have no chance to ever use that code if it uses a permissive license. It is protected in the way that no company could ever sue free software developers for using this code.
>>
>>54034318
you described the screen perfectly.
its just black with a white "_" line
>>
>>54034313
>still memeing
Rev it up son
>>
>>54034340
Are you really this ignorant? Wait, you're the clearlinux anon right?
>>
>>54034359
>defends fedora
>you're the clearlinux anon
Low reasoning skills. As expected from a memester.
>>
>>54034335
what happens when you press ESC or Enter? And just to clarify, first you get a menu with choices, the top one being "start Fedora" or something, and then the black screen appears? Does anything happen before that?
And remind me please, what other choices does the boot menu give you on the live usb?
>>
>>54034422
>reasoning
>meme meme you're just a memer
You're doing so well hun
>>
What does ctrl+D actually do in Bash?
>>
>>54034533
man exit
>>
>>54034559
When would I use that instead of ctrl+C?

Ctrl+D seems to dump me out of sudo, and also kills the terminal.

^C just seems to tell things to do doing things.
>>
>>54034568
to stop doing things*
>>
File: QBienS3.png (318 KB, 893x976) Image search: [Google]
QBienS3.png
318 KB, 893x976
>3 hours later

Why doesn't it come upgraded out of the box?

Sheesh.
>>
the arch install on my desktop has been really aggravating lately
>kernel crashes between 1-4 days of uptime, recently it's been doing it every night
>infrequently it will stop connecting to internet sites for a few minutes, while LAN connections are perfectly fine
I've got no idea how to diagnose this shit, can someone help me out?

$ uname -a
Linux spaceheater 4.4.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 07:38:19 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
want to try out more linux distros, but damn my debian install is so comfy.

Debian stretch with mate and numix theme, all the important developer libraries already installed and ready to go.

might install a linux on my desktop though, is gentoo actually a viable distro?
>>
>>54034568
control d closes standard input which usually stops a program from running.
>>
>>54034568
>>54034575
^c sends a sigint signal to the process if ever you want to stop something abruptly.
^d as I said, exits you out of the shell.
>>
>>54034616
If you care about useflags or compiling everything, sure. Otherwise Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu is all you need.

Gentoo is more of a hobby distro. If it interests you, go for it.
>>
>>54034268
try another iso if the problem persists the problem is your hardware, kappa
>>
I installed infinality and the patched fonts and honestly, my own custom font rendering was just as good with freetype-freeworld and lcd filter. Doesn't seem like it's worth having third party repos for.
>>
>>54033525
if you are using virtualbo install guest additions on your fedora vm then check drag/drop or something like that
>>
File: 1460317808345s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1460317808345s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>54034716
fuck that shit
just gonna get debian and call it an afternoon
>>
>>54034696
I figured as much, actually fedora seems like a better option never tried an rpm style distro. Just want to expand my horizons.

thanks anon
>>
>>54034782
k
>>
Hey guys, I recently installed Ubuntu Gnome on my computer, dual booting with Windows 10 (for now I have to). When booting, it automatically boots into Windows 10 and the only way to reach Ubuntu is to press f12 at some point and select Ubuntu from a list.

Instead I would like it to ask me what I want every time. How do I do this?
>>
Megatools package exist in Ubuntu package, why I can't install it with apt-get ?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/megatools

sudo apt-get install megatools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package megatools
>>
>>54034907
remove windows 10 and run it in a vm
>>
>>54034988
is megatools the only package that returns
E: Unable to locate package megatools
>>
>>54034586
Because you didn't use a netinstall
>>
>>54034907
Install grub correctly
>>
>>54035033
Nah, I can install other packages, like mcrypt just fine. Megatools is the only one that give me this problem.

I just need something to download from Mega with command line.
>>
>>54035131
just download the package directly and install it manually
>>
File: howwww.png (580 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
howwww.png
580 KB, 1920x1080
So I did it, I finally have dual booted my MacBook Pro Retina with OS X and Ubuntu.

It's kind of tough switching from OS X arguably 'the best consumer OS' where everything is so simple and elegant. But I want to make myself more familiar with Linux because I feel that once I actually know how to deal with having 'full control over my OS' I'll be a lot happier, because I customise every little detail I feel necessary.

Can you guys suggest some sources for getting started with Linux, making it look nice, maybe outlining some of the advantages of making the switch so it gives me more motivation to stop using OS X so much?

>Pic related
Like how the fuck do I even go about making my OS look like that. I know you can get a new window manager and icon packs and shit but I really don't know where to get them, how to switch them, how to implement them, etc
>>
>>54035171
>retina
>1920x1080
>>
>>54035195
Nevermind I'm blind.
>not posting your own screenshot
>>
I'm about to install Debian. Just unsure about the partitioning.

Right now I have Windows 7 installed on a SSD and my files on a HDD.
I want Debian next to Windows on the SSD. Apparently I need to repartition the hard drive first. Can I do that right before installing after booting the Debian installer?

And I wonder if there's anything specific I need to so I can the HDD with Debian w/o them being one partition.
>>
>>54035171
Installing Xfce is pretty simple. You just install the relevant packages and edit your .xinitrc (or use whatever GUI DE switcher Ubuntu has if you want).

As for themes you'll just have to snoop around to find ones you like, but please stay away from that icon pack.
>>
>>54035238
Where do you browse for themes/icon packs though?

Also I installed Gnome3, how do I go about uninstalling it and all it's relevant packages?
>>
>>54035258
I usually install themes through the AUR because I'm lazy. But gnome-look, xfce-look, github, etc., all have a lot flying around. Generally you can just search the theme name and find a source you can install. You'll just have to put that in /usr/var/themes/ and unless you messed up compiling or extracting it will work.

I've never used apt, but it probably has an option you can pass to uninstall all packages your chosen package (Gnome3 desktop or whatever) depends on that no other packages depend on. Read the manual.
>>
>>54035297
>/usr/var/themes
Nope,use ~/.themes
>>
>>54035310
You people and your fancy hidden directories. Pah!
>>
Yo.

Any DE that plays well with a magic trackpad?
>>
>>54035432
As long as xorg can set it up properly. DE/WM dont matter
>>
So I installed Ubuntu, beginning to think I made a mistake and definitely should have gone with Xubuntu. Would the code for the bootloader be the same or different?
>>
>>54035451
As long as you dont touch the mbr partition( /boot) you can install what ever you want on the / parition.You might need to change uuids but thats it
>>
>>54034598
anyone?
I could easily reinstall but I'd rather not, since I've already done that 3 times
>>
>>54035451
just change from ubuntu to xubuntu

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>
Stallman please lend your hand in guidance, my weakness for games are making me want to return to Windows despite it being shit
>>
>>54035449
Well, I'm looking for gestures and such. I think there's no issue with it working as a generic trackpad but I'm trying to make it at least half as useful as it is in OSX
>>
>>54035468
Scared I might fuck something up. Might just reformat back to a blank partition and start from the USB installer for Xubuntu.

>>54035482
Surely it's not that simple? Would that be exactly the same as switching to Xubuntu (deletes all the fluff packages, changes the interface completely, changes to XFCE and removes Gnome/Ubuntu, etc)?
>>
File: knifecat_zoom.jpg (59 KB, 716x585) Image search: [Google]
knifecat_zoom.jpg
59 KB, 716x585
>>54035491
Literally make enough money to buy another machine so you don't have to dual boot.
>>
>>54035491
what games are you missing? steam has thousands of them for GNU/Linux
>>
I bit the bullet and removed Windows 10 from my desktop.
I'm installing Manjaro
>>
>>54035692
nice kek
>>
>>54035692
Manjaro is a great way to start out Linux. Once you've gotten used to the system move to Arch, it's a lot less hassle and breaks less.
>>
My HDD is partitioned like this: two NTFS, two ext[something] (mounted at / and /home) and one swap partition.

It's running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04. I would like to replace Ubuntu for Debian. Is it possible to do this without messing up GRUB or my Windows install?

Where is there a good resource on how can I achieve that?
>>
File: 1457673343273.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1457673343273.png
97 KB, 1366x768
>>54035741
>>54035692
>>
>>54035742
In this case no. your /boot is not on a seperate partition.You should always make a seperate boot and home for situations like this. Had you made a seperate /boot,you would just install debian on to the / partition and go about your way
>>
>>54030924
That website is dog shit I'm not that noob - I've already tried most of distros out and went trough most major problems.. I just said that I don't feel ready yet to spend days learning all the ways around in system to fix nd have a proper 100% working Arch configuration - so I was thinking of going with a good pre-configured version.
>>
>>54035692
your journey to autism has just begun, did you order a fedora yet?
>>
>>54035799
Oh, shit.

Thanks for the input, anon.
>>
>>54035819
You should make a small partition where to put the windows recovery tools - if you ever mess windows to the point of thinking it's impossible to fix - you would open the console write 2 lines and it's all fixed.
>>
>>54035872
The fat partition with the EFI stuff?
>>
>>54035782
>workaround
kek
>>
>>54035881
It will auto detect the EFI partition.

No I actually have an ideea - it's what I use and it's better:
Just download atest generation2 iso - it has latest windows 10 enterprise with latest updates, recovery and other tools you need - just put in on a pendrive, forget about it and when you're in shit just plug it in.

https://kat.cr/windows-10-x64-enterprise-ltsb-multi-13-april-2016-generation2-t12408679.html
>>
SELinux is throwing shitfits and not letting httpd edit stuff in /var/www/html/. How do I get SELinux to let httpd edit files?
>>
>>54035916
Is it like Hiren's BootCD?
>>
>>54035987
Disable it
>>
>>54034598
>>54035481
Check dmesg and journalctl for logs. Ask in their forums if you can't figure it out.
>>
>watch video on shitnux
>mpv instantly dies
>dmesg says it was killed because it tried to use lua to execute code
Why do freefaggots leave this shit on by default? Why the FUCK would you need to use lua in a fucking video? Stupid freetards.
>>
>>54035988
Yea, it's basically running windows 10 you can use to restore windows 10 or install it.
>>
File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41 KB, 404x502) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41 KB, 404x502
Reminder to look at the ported videogames for GNU/Linux thread. Now seeding Planescape: Torment.

>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928
>>
>>54029441
You are shitting us right? Anyway, good work sir.
>>
>>54036165
No, it doesn't dumbass unless you specifically passed the --script option on start or you have scripts in your .config dir.
>>
>>54036271
>No, it doesn't dumbass unless you specifically passed the --script option on start or you have scripts in your .config dir
lel
>download shady video
>PAX kills it when it tries to execute code
>mpv complains about dying because of trying to execute lua code
ok, kid. Have fun with your shit player.
>>
>>54036328
Poor quality troll. The least you could do was show proof but I guess even that is too hard for you.

>kid
Hahahaha how's it going grandpa?
>>
File: 1430318818640.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1430318818640.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>54035741
>move to Arch, it's a lot less hassle and breaks less.
>>
>>54036363
In my anecdotal experience, it was very much the truth. To each his own.
>>
>>54036408
Then you are doing it wrong. The whole point of Manjaro is having less hassle and to prevent breaking your system. Arch is much more fragile.
>>
>>54036359
Here's one from vlc. mpv stopped crashing after I recompiled it without lua support.
[ 1068.448499] PAX: execution attempt in: (null), 00000000-00000000 00000000
[ 1068.448504] PAX: terminating task: /usr/bin/vlc(vlc):2825, uid/euid: 1000/1000, PC: 000003b4af7ecf10, SP: 000003b4cf31c8e8
[ 1068.448505] PAX: bytes at PC: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
[ 1068.448532] PAX: bytes at SP-8: 0000000000000080 000003b4b6886de2 000003b4b0002e00 000003dbeaf659ba 0000000000000000 000003b4b6bac890 00000090000000c0 0000000000000003 00000000fffffffe 000003b4b0001c30 000003b4b0001268
>>
>>54036440
???
That's a vlc log? That doesn't even prove anything.
>>
anyone have the spurdo hyperbipeline image?
>>
>>54036473
dmesg you fucking clown.
>>
>>54036437
>I posted the arch meme again daddy
kek

Says someone that has never used arch.
9 years using it and nothing broke once that wasent due to user error,not configuing shit the right way
>>
>>54036488
No, you idiot. You don't get it, that log shows VLC and not MPV. I hope I was CLEAR this time.
>>
A guide suggest to install Gnome trough this:
pacman -Syy gnome gnome-extra

but why -Syy? What does it do?
>>
>>54036559
man pacman
>>
File: 1460443808038.jpg (79 KB, 600x468) Image search: [Google]
1460443808038.jpg
79 KB, 600x468
>>54036585
wat?
>>
>>54036544
Can you fucking read?
>Here's one from vlc. mpv stopped crashing after I recompiled it without lua support.
Can you even fucking read?
>>
>>54036590
Don't you know what man is?

Assuming you don't: it's a program used to read the [man]uals of other programs.
>>
>>54036615
Oh ty, that was helpful.
>>
anyone have insight on pic related? how do I fix this?
>>
>>54036615
What's the proper order - going to re-install everything since I fucked up

1. full install
2. get xserver stuff ( is xorg-server, xorg-server-utils xorg-apps xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-twm xterm xorg-xclock enough ? )
3. get desktop environment
4. get nvidia driver now ?

or what's the proper order?

Should I disable wayland?
>>

▲ ▲
>>
>>54036701

▲▲
>>
>>54036670
change the version numbers in the PKGBUILD lol
>>
File: average jew.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
average jew.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
͏ ͏▲
▲ ▲
>>
File: high guy.jpg (21 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
high guy.jpg
21 KB, 500x375
͏ ͏ ͏ ͏▲
▲ ▲
>>
. ▲
▲▲
>>
>>54036700
Do xorg and nvidia at the same time.Choose nvidia-libgl over mesal-libgl

You can do it all in one line if you know what de/wm you want
>>
>>54036732
thanks, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing, I'll look into this...
>>
>>54036789
Just a warning though, if that dependency is actually real you'll end up with broken shit that doesn't work. Odds are it'll be ok though
>>
What is the practical difference between a terminal emulator and a shell?

Why i3 executes i3-sensible-terminal and xterm and uxterm look exactly like it?

How's rxvt-unicode better than the other alternatives?
>>
>>54036787
so for ex

pacman -S (xserver-stuff) nvidia nvidia-libgl gnome gnome-extra
then start gdm and reboot?
>>
File: tumblr_m41c60RTdt1qcu0j0o1_500.jpg (160 KB, 472x329) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m41c60RTdt1qcu0j0o1_500.jpg
160 KB, 472x329
not trying to be a bumpfag or anything but just gonna go ahead and cross-post my thread here: >>54036790

I'm gonna try running a windows VM on a linux beowulf cluster to see whether I can get the machine to scale to the full computational capabilities of the cluster. anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? the nodes are all gonna be running a clean debian install, maybe console only
>>
Don't mind me too much, I just want to bitch a little. It's not personal.

I've been using Kubuntu for a month, switched from Windows, and it's been a nightmare. I've had infinite problems and every time I google a forum it's always "yeah, it's broken, just file a bug report and wait" and if I dare to mention it on /g/ it's always "lol what do you need SOFTWARE for? what do you need DRIVERS for?" or it just devolves into some stupid distro argument.

I googled to make sure Ubuntu played nice with Wacom tablets, which everyone says they are perfect for each other. I tried using mine today and the newest version of KDE/Plasma thinks the tablet is a joystick. Googling says everyone else is having this problem, yep it's broken, just wait for them to fix it or write it myself.

I'm so sick of everything being broken. I thought things would just work. I don't want to write my own goddamn drivers for plug and play devices.
>>
>>54036818
Shouldnt need to reboot launch gdm from the getty and go from there.
If its directly from a fresh install you're want to do -Syyu to sync everything up
>>
>>54036857
Sounds like you would like OS X.
Get a Mac imo.
>>
>>54036857
Seems like you need to go back to Windows.
>>
File: 1458723502629.png (151 KB, 742x828) Image search: [Google]
1458723502629.png
151 KB, 742x828
>>54036857
Just file a bug report and wait.
>>
>>54036917
12 days till it's not a loli anymore.
>>
File: 1456091870320.jpg (39 KB, 540x456) Image search: [Google]
1456091870320.jpg
39 KB, 540x456
>>54036935
tfw
>>
>>54036887
>>54036896
You're probably right. I thought a Ubuntu distro would be a "it just works" experience, I didn't realize Linux made you write your own software. It's good for a hobby I guess but I need to get shit done, guess I'll go back to proprietary non-free shit. At least it works.
>>
>>54036965
Aside from all circlejerking, every OS has its use case. The Linux-based ones didn't cover yours, so you either change again, or go back to what you know.
>>
>>54036559
>>54036585

If you hate man pages (like me) and like nicely formatted text that is easier to read then you can read the arch wiki on pacman as well:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman
>>
>>54036732
Don't do this.

>>54036803
>Odds are it'll be ok though
Gnome breaks their stuff every update almost as a matter of pride. If there's one thing I wouldn't fuck around with dependency wise and expect to work its Gnome.
>>
>>54036857
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Joystick
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom

i have a wacom tablet,it works flawlessly though i dont use a shitty de.Search Arch wiki before you google.
Heres a start,you need to disable the joystick drivers.
>>
>>54036857
>I'm so sick of everything being broken.
Welcome to Linux, I hope you enjoy your stay

>I thought things would just work.
Only the basic stuff just works. Uncommon stuff like tablets don't work that well

>KDE/Plasma thinks the tablet is a joystick
KDE is a buggy mess. If you want the best out of box support I'd suggest vanilla Ubuntu. Canonical is the only company that seems to give half a fuck about Linux as a user operating system.
>>
>>54036917
Why are GTK/Gnome devs such insufferable assholes?

Even when other people do the work for them, they won't accept patches to fix bugs like this.
>>
>>54036965
>I didn't realize Linux made you write your own software
I don't realize why you keep mentioning this, most common stuff does 'just work' and pretty much no one writes their own drivers. I had an old (2008) capacitive touch screen laptop (A Dell XT) and it worked fine on Ubuntu. It worked more reliably on Ubuntu than it did on Windows 7 which should have had the best driver support
>>
>>54037168
GTK2 is in maintence mode; no active development
GTK3 is in it's early state; just file a bug report and wait
>>
>>54037217
>GTK3 is in it's early state
gnome 3 is 5 years old already
>>
>>54037217
>wait
Yeah, lets wait until GTK4 to repeat the whole process again.
>>
>have old HP laptop from 2008.
>Windows runs like shit hd video playback stuttered
>install latest ubantoo mate bc I want trash to just work
>everything is fine looks gud just from clean install
>boots after choosing ubantoo in about ten seconds.
>videos don't stutter anymore
>everything actually works

Did I fall for a meme?
>>
With infinality and xft-settings.sh should I be changing those values to what I want or is the package designed to work with what it came set with?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.