[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you want nothing more than to be a codemonkey in a space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12
File: 555afc932ea64.jpg (1000 KB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
555afc932ea64.jpg
1000 KB, 5472x3648
>tfw you want nothing more than to be a codemonkey in a space tech startup
>tfw you have decent python but no CS degree, though you've worked in a tech startup before

How do I make this happen bois

I know a lot of them seem to use C++, but I have no idea other than that.
>>
>>53971482
space tech requires people who actually have foundational knowledge, i.e. individuals who can think of an idea and generally know one or several potential solutions without resorting to googling stackoverflow questions.

people in the startup bubble these days generally aren't those with foundational knowledge -- they are brogrammers and ninja growth architects
>>
>>53971482
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>53971563
>Solange Cunin
>The enterprising 22-year-old has co-founded a start-up, Quberider, with UTS student Sebastian Chaoui, to offer scientists and space enthusiasts the opportunity to 'ride-share' their projects on miniature satellites called CubeSats.

Reverse image search anon, you don't even have to download the image.
>>
>>53971624
>Solange
My dick
>'ride-share'
Oh I know what she'll be ride-sharing on, if you catch my drift
>>
>>53971696
I regret helping you.
>>
File: 1451524856165.png (410 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1451524856165.png
410 KB, 3000x3000
>>53971531
>tfw I am basically a 'ninja growth architect' in a tech startup

Save me senpai

I like programming, but my experience, how do I get foundational knowledge
>>
>>53971773
*but don't have much experience
>>
Spacex job openings are also in IT/sysadmin/big data if youre interested
>>
>>53971773
Read cs and maths
>>
>>53971482
http://www.afr.com/leadership/entrepreneur/quberiders-solange-cunin-the-22year-old-kickstarting-australias-space-industry-20150508-ggxbyz

cool chick
>>
>>53971773
the first thing to realize is that each domain has different foundations. So, space tech is obviously going to require a different sets of knowledge than graphics, than kernel development, than language development.

but, at the core of all domains, is the fact that everything is computed. so, start with the lowest level. learn the C/assembly/machine code abstraction well enough to know how a program is supposed to work when you compile it. there's no need to be an expert in the that abstraction, of course, but it serves as a good foundation.

by reading and studying (by doing actual projects that are challenging) you will develop actual fundamentals.

it's simply a combination of hard work, experience, and drawing from your experience to reason about new problems.
>>
>>53971482
semend
>>
File: pixel_rain.gif (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
pixel_rain.gif
51 KB, 500x376
>>53971904
Yeah I figured I'd need to learn C at some point if I was going to get any kind of deeper knowledge.

My current role is kind of like a business analyst with some python scripting (scrapers, automating shit, using APIs, etc), but I'd love to get deeper into it, just a bit lost on where to go next role-wise, as I don't have enough experience for a full engineering role
>>
>>53972028
my advice is to do what I did: use your job to teach you the skills. In other words, get paid to learn by branching out at work. not only will this net you a skill that is transferable, you might even win some respect from your superiors (depending on the job of course).
>>
>>53972028
Enroll in an aerospace engineering program.
Graduate.
Do a masters degree.
Graduate.
Do a doctorate.
Graduate.
Did you get a 4.0 gpa? If negative don't bother applying.
T. Aerospace engineer
>>
File: tumblr_nyt5immDdT1qze3hdo1_500.gif (405 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyt5immDdT1qze3hdo1_500.gif
405 KB, 500x288
>>53972101
Yeah I feel ya, doing this as much as possible, work are pretty cool about paying for things like books, courses etc. Things like Treehouse have been great (they don't do any low-level stuff, but they're great for things like python, sql or mongo, which I'd use day-to-day), it's something I'll try and do even more before I end up leaving (startupland has a high burnout rate and meh pay). I'd never even touched a command line before a year ago, so I've come a distance already, but still a long way to go.

My team lead is a PhD physicist, who, come to think of it, was tipping around the idea of doing computation classes before work, really must take him up on it.

Right, I'll start learning C and go from there, and see where I end up.

Thanks senpai
>>
>>53971696
solange cunin? more like solange cumin

get it?
cumin
cum
in
cumin
cunin
cun
in
cun to cum
in stays in
cumin as in coming as in having an orgasm
nice
>>
>>53972502
Hol up

You mean like an orgasm?
>>
>>53971531
>>53971773
I am starting work at an actual space tech startup when I get out of school in a month.

I still use stackoverflow for literally every program I write and I severely doubt that I have much in the way of what you personally would call "foundational knowledge".
>>
>>53972686
>I still use stackoverflow for literally every program I write
lol
>>
File: tumblr_nqt1p9OAMo1tcj68yo1_500.png (403 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqt1p9OAMo1tcj68yo1_500.png
403 KB, 500x741
>>53972686
What kind of stuff do you guys do? Microsatellites seem to be the hot property for space tech startups these days

What language do you write in? And what kind of shit do you build?
>>
>>53971624
I don't care what she's achieved in life other than the fact that she's going to cause the death of millions of my potential offspring......repeatedly.
>>
File: 2433453645.png (188 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
2433453645.png
188 KB, 327x316
>>53971482
>women in STEM
>EVER
>>
File: edit_6_1.jpg (129 KB, 563x397) Image search: [Google]
edit_6_1.jpg
129 KB, 563x397
>>53973174
>does my success make your bum hurt, anon?
>>
File: fashion-17.jpg (399 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
fashion-17.jpg
399 KB, 900x600
>>53971624
>Enterprising 22-year-old has co-founded a start-up, Quberider.

but mostly just models wedding dresses? https://vimeo.com/114215818

What?
>>
>>53973343
>startup
>success
uwotlmao?
>>
File: DSCF3062-2.jpg (197 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3062-2.jpg
197 KB, 750x500
Quberider?

>Order your space kit
>Your space kit includes real satellite hardware to use in the classroom!

Pic very related. Is this a joke?
>>
>>53973520
>Asimov Space Board

It has Space on it so it must be real.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>53971482
>no CS degree
get a degree in computer science OP

daily reminder you can do this for free at several european universities you just need to get a flight over there and share a house with a part time job. in english by the way.
>>
>>53975559
do you have anymore information on how to do this as an american?
>>
>>53971563
>she
>>
>>53971482
That slag is shitting up the view of the docked Soyuz spacecraft.
>>
This office complex up the road has launched thousands of things into space. They bring me their phones. I met one of the engineers behind the juno orbiter.

I'm really fascinated by space myself and would love a research opportunity for NASA or even a foreign space agency. I am mostly fascinated with setting up research bases on Ganymede (near earth sized moon of jupiter), Titan (biggest moon of titan), or Venus (it has a dense floatable atomosphere with a cool region). I've put many hours into daydreaming the bunkers, life support systems, power systems, robots, vehicles, etc.

I just fix phones though.
>>
>>53971482

>How do I make this happen bois

Grow tits like pic related. If they turn you down, sue them for oppresshun.
>>
>>53973347
> Ms Cunin also plans to include a Raspberry Pi electronics board (a low cost, credit-card sized computer)on the satellite so that computer programmers can create and upload code to run in space for a few hundred dollars.

Holy fucking shit thats her business model? raspberry pis arent radiation hardened, and use more power than is necessary requiring more weight.

>space industry
>cheaping out on satellite/rocket controllers
>>
>>53973347
She is qt, and needs money ;)
>>
>>53972125

This sadly.

I'm in Software engineering at an ok school. There is no way I can reach the level where SpaceX or any nice company / school for a masters degree will notice me.
>>
How do people get jobs without degrees? Everywhere it's either 5 years experience or distinction level GPA, usually both. Are you guys lying online again? I don't know why anyone would hire someone without a degree when there are hundreds with degrees, decent projects, decent gpas and if you don't mind sacrificing one of the aforementioned, maybe even a vagina so your creepy project lead can be handsie all over her in the good name of more women in code.
>>
>>53976331
Contact a university and find out.
I live in Denmark, we get ~$1000/month in support while we are students, so we can live in an apartment and get eat without taking out a loan.
Almost everyone younger than 50 can speak English.
The education is in English but that might not be available on lower tiers.
Eg first year of my bachelor's was in danish although books and exams were in English.
If you want lower tiers of education, I don't know what programs you can get into.
>>
>>53978754
I never lie about my experience, but I've accepted the fact that I look like shit on paper.

If you're at all personable, the best way to get jobs is to talk to other developers in person. Don't approach them with the intent to get a job. Just geek out with them and have fun. Once you've gotten to know them a bit, you can start feeling out if they'd be willing to refer you and get you past the HR screening bullshit.

I've been doing that for a year now, and I guess the mannerisms and attitudes of senior devs have rubbed off on me, because now people just assume that I'm a senior dev when they talk to me. I recently landed my first contract where the company is offering me to send some of their devs and testers over to work under me if I think it will help. Pretty surreal, but I'm not complaining.

The main thing I have to say about advancing without a college degree is that you've gotta be driven as hell and work three times as hard as people with degrees just to get half of what they get by default. If you love your work, you can make it work. Otherwise, you're probably better off going to school or a bootcamp.
>>
>>53979031
Wow dude, do you know how creepy it is to camp outside a software agency and then try to "geek out" with anyone leaving? I know you're trying to give advice, but its pretty naive, misinformed advice. Are you trying to advocate connections/nepotismism? Seems like that's what you're doing, but its coming out Hollywood levels of creepy, basically "don't do this off screen".

The resume thing has many things wrong with it, notably hr who embellish details or assume or try to make up for the misconception that anything beyond the resume is relevant to the job, but otherwise are least the GPA and projects thing is somewhat meritocratic.

Let's assume you actually did convince one of your friends to help you get a job at their workplace, could you really say you deserve that job over anyone? No, your entrance qualification was that you knew someone.
>>
>>53979112
Why would you think to camp outside?
>>
>>53971696
ay buddy mind if you share that ride with me?
>>
>>53971531
>ninja growth architects
kek
>>
File: 1460154405975.png (468 KB, 1000x1189) Image search: [Google]
1460154405975.png
468 KB, 1000x1189
>>53971482
>wants to work in a space tech anything
>only "decent" in a language
>only "decent" in a SINGLE language
>>
>>53979112
>camping outside the agency
You know there are shit tons of meetups and talks that devs like to go to, right? You don't have to do any tricky bullshit, and you learn a lot in the process.

And yes, I am advocating connections. If you're a competent developer, you're already more "qualified" than most college grads. And most agencies are hurting bad for more competent developers. If an employed developer finds someone who is competent, passionate, and easy to get along with, they're usually happy to send along the resume. Often, they'll get a nice bonus for referring a good candidate if you get hired. Everyone wins, so I fail to see the problem with that.

>Let's assume you actually did convince one of your friends to help you get a job at their workplace, could you really say you deserve that job over anyone?
Yes, I can. I still have to pass the interview, you ninny. I still have to actually know what I'm doing. I still have to not get my ass fired. If I do good work, and bring value to the company, who gives a shit if I have a college degree?
>>
>>53979112
either you think meritocracy exists or you realize it doesn't and decided to take it out on this guy for some reason
either way you're an idiot desu
>>
>>53971482
>space tech
>python
hahahahaha
>>
>>53971482
>I know a lot of them seem to use C++, but I have no idea other than that.
surely this can't be their only requirement. They probably have a shitton of other requirements on top of that which would probably require you to spend several years in the space or related industry before applying to them.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.