[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently installing debian on my brother's laptop and I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Currently installing debian on my brother's laptop and I'm not sure which DE to go with since he's only ever used windows.

My main requirement being light-weight. I really want to show him how snappy and fresh this shit can be.
>>
>>53931547
KDE
>>
wm+i3 for sure
>>
>>53931547
Straight up Debian . how else will he learn!
>>
MATE. It's the best DE.
>>
>>53931547
Openbox with Tint2, you can get configs from BunsenLabs. If he is used to Windows then Cinnamon would be a decent choice.
>>
>>53931977
For former windows users, this.
>>
>>53931547
Cinnamon is pretty comfy
>>
>>53931559
Is KDE lightweight?
>>
>>53931547
Cinnamon
>>
>>53931547
Cinnamon is snappy and feels like Windows
It's a good position to start transitioning to Linux
>>
Cinnamon.
>>
Xfce
>>
>>53932018
You would think that but windows users seem to prefer cinnamon.
>>
>>53932252
Fuck no. Buggy bloatware and should be avoided. Go with Xfce if you really want lightweight without offending his Windows sensibiltiies.
>>
>>53932252
Not really, but it looks the best out of the box. And it's definitely not for older machines.
>>
>>53932373
Can confirm for multiple friends that i turned onto linux
>>
Cinnamon is pretty snappy as long as it's version 2.6 (iirc that update was the one that was purely cleanup). Should also feel familiar to him, as he's coming from Windows. MATE is a good second choice, but at this point Cinnamon is just more polished.
>>
xfce or cinnamon

you also need to install one good icon theme at least, like for instance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd2wbnyhcf9p28x/Ultra%20Flat%20Blue%201.3.2.tar.gz?dl=0
>>
File: MemoryUsageOfDM.png (39 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
MemoryUsageOfDM.png
39 KB, 698x690
Cinnamon!

It's light, and It also has the bonus of being a pretty slick desktop.
>>
File: 167313_original.jpg (161 KB, 955x775) Image search: [Google]
167313_original.jpg
161 KB, 955x775
>>53936884
how recent is this, i don't believe you cuz cinnamon is based of gnome 3
>>
>>53936939
It's pretty old. And yeah, Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME 3, though I think the first thing they did was rip everything out of it.
>>
>>53936939 me
manjaro w/ xfce is pretty nice, trying it out now
but it has some annoyances such as when you resize the taskbar to 16px the font get clipped and there is no way to fix it, currently researching.
previously i used lubuntu which i might go back to.
>>
>>53931547
>DE
Not even once.

>>53931998
>Openbox with Tint2
Yes. Nicely riced openbox install all day. Fast and functional.
>>
pantheon. faster than gnome and maybe kde
kinda shitty on non-ubuntu but try it.
>>
>>53932373
i'm a windows user, but i like xfce.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.