[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saving Windows 10 Mobile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: windows-10-mobile.jpg (92 KB, 1193x787) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-mobile.jpg
92 KB, 1193x787
How do we save Windows 10 Mobile? We need to get it up to at least 10% global market share so it can sustain itself.

I'm not worried about tablets anymore because the abomination that was Windows RT is now abandonware and Windows tablets run full Windows now so there are plenty of apps for them. Windows servers have a healthy market share and Windows desktop/laptops are still dominant.
>>
>>53929292
Bring it to every win8phone without making apps incompetible
>>
Given my experience with Windows Phone 8.1, it needs software support and development. Using any Google service on it is a pain, especially YouTube. Apps that haven't been updated in two years need to come off the store. Apps that don't work need to be taken down.

Using Windows Phone feels like showing up to a party right as everyone is leaving.
>>
>>53929373
Windows 10 Mobile requires at least 512 MB of RAM, so a lot of Win 8.1 phones are going to be excluded. If they meet the hardware requirements they can probably run the OS.

>>53929396

GMail is the only thing I can see a person really needing on a phone, and you can just configure that to forward things to your Outlook account, which has a native app. Google is never going to cooperate with Windows 10 Mobile, and that's not Microsoft's fault.
>>
>>53929292
I think the reason most people buy Windows Phones is price. I bought mine for 98 USD and it's been great for the price. A low end Android phone with the same specs cost about twice as much.
>>
>>53929413
>Windows 10 Mobile requires at least 512 MB of RAM, so a lot of Win 8.1 phones are going to be excluded.
Say that to all the people with 1GB phones that got fucked by MS.
I don't care about this shitty OS anymore.
>>
Not gonna lie, I like Windows 10 Mobile a lot. Far better built-in apps than W8.1. Give it time and thanks to UWP I think we're going to see more apps. Forget about reaching 10% marketshare or anything like that though, we're going to be forever niche: it's mainly for people that like Windows on their desktop and MS products in general.
>>
And my 640 still says that MS is "working with your phone manufacturer and operator to provide you update".

What the hell, MS?
>>
>>53931449
Download the MS insider tool

that'll get you to 10
>>
>>53931520

I dont want to become living testing platform.

Or I can simply upgrade and then remove Insider and everything will be back to normal?
>>
Allow Swift, Objective-C and Java apps to run on the phones. Then people will be porting them left right & centre.
>>
>>53929413
what? on my windows phone 8.1, the native email app allows you to add any account you want. no gmail app needed, it works perfectly
>>
Why would anyone want to save it?
>>
>>53929292
>saving something that is already dead
>>
Xamarin could be the saviour. There's no reason to not ship crossplatform apps now that this is free.

Source: Former Win/WP app dev here. Now migrated from Apache Cordova to Xamarin. It's glorious.
>>
File: 1466.jpg (67 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1466.jpg
67 KB, 320x320
>>53929292
Phones with x86 and windows mobile/continum with full support for windows back catalog. It will happen some day, and it won't work properly until this happens.
>>
>>53929292
its already saved with continium.
you would add
a note like phone (i def will buy this)
emu android apps?
>>
>>53931347
Yeah example htc.. Htc didnt want to support / update their phones. So what I'm trying to say is: Eat a dick
>>
>>53929292
No.
>>
>>53932693
I have a Lumia 920. Please tell me why a dual core 1.5GHZ phone with 1GB RAM like mine won't get WM10 while the 435 with a 1.4GHZ dual core and 1GB RAM will.
>>
>>53932761
920 does not support DX12 :^)
>>
>>53929292
Let it live where it does a good job: The low end.
>>
>>53932761
It's old as fuck, that's the thing.
>>
we don't
fuck it
let it die
it can't even compete with android 4.4
we should do everything possible to kill it
>>
File: stop-stop-its-03r96b.jpg (43 KB, 572x432) Image search: [Google]
stop-stop-its-03r96b.jpg
43 KB, 572x432
>>53929292
>>
>>53929292
I'm still running WP8.1 and I'm not really seeing the problem with it. I mean, unless you're a hipster who needs the latest trendy app, or the poweruser who wants to customize everything.

It's stable and reliable as fuck, it does everything I need perfectly well, and it's all I expect from a phone. The improvements in WM10 are debatable at best, I mean, I don't even see the use of 99% that shit.
>>
>>53929413
>Windows 10 Mobile requires at least 512 MB of RAM, so a lot of Win 8.1 phones are going to be excluded

Which is bullshit for a couple of reasons, no1 there are Win8 phones with 1GB of ram that were not upgraded, no2 its a big fuck you to everyone because they were told that all the x20 were going to be updated

>>53931449
Specially when they are the manufacturer

>>53931520
If your phone works under the insider tool why don't they fucking upgrade it without having to consent to massive spying and terms like "do not use insider program as a primary communications device"

>>53932089
> /g/ about apple - you can't install any apps that you want walled garden
> /g/ about microsoft - just use the native apps jesus you don't need other apps

>>53932578
forget it, no one wants that except for a very limited few on /g/

>>53934102
Yeah, that's because you use it as a feature phone, it makes calls and texts great, it even has a full html browser and gps maps offline. its a great feature phone. it is absolutely a mountain of shit when you try to use any 3rd party app they crash, the platform is incredibly buggy and slow, a first generation iphone was more polished and less buggy than the latest 950xl, a iphone 4s has more functionality than a 950xl, its apps actually work, the OS actually works without problems, why the hell can't Microsoft do the same?

>>53933933
>>53932749
>>53932215
These people are right. It is time to pull the plug.
>>
>>53929292
don't hire pajeet to design your os
>>
>>53934102
>unless you're a hipster who needs the latest trendy app
did you just changed the definition of "hipster" to suit your argument?
>>
>>53934561
>why the hell can't Microsoft do the same?
Because they don't really give a fuck. Most of the polish and quality that WP used to have came from Nokia.
But now Nokia is dead so MS is half-assing everything.

I really used to love WP despite the app gap but after that stunt they pulled with x2x devices they lost me as a customer.
>>
>>53935870
You know whats funny is that this board is full of Microsoft fanbois who will trash apple and the ios platform for being overpriced and being a "walled garden" and they don't see that is exactly the direction Microsoft wants to go with windows 10 even on desktop this train wreck of a mess is going on with windows 10 mobile and they don't see that it is a symptom of the focus the company is putting on operating systems weather that is for a phone or for a desktop they don't care.
>>
>>53934561
>>53931347

I said probably. There are other hardware requirements, like DX12, that older phones won't be able to meet so MS won't bother with them.
>>
>>53937927

What about that lady running AMD.
>>
>>53937951
I didn't see a post about AMD in this thread.
>>
>>53929292
Surface phone probably.

No more deleting music for not being Microsoft licensed.

Fix bugs.

Make Windows 10 less shit so people are encouraged to enjoy the ecosystem.
>>
>>53938058
>No more deleting music for not being Microsoft licensed.

I have tons of pirated music on my phone and desktop and this has never happened to me. I also have stuff from iTunes.
>>
MS sure has been shitting itself lately trying to stay relevant.
>>
>>53932686
>saved with continium

lol no. This might be a cool gimmick feature for some geek like you but than majority of the market doesn't give a fuck about this.
>>
what are some good games for windows mobile?

640xl windows 8.1 here
>>
>>53938720
Age of Sparta
Zombie Doom HD
>>
Cleanse microsoft of all the bullshit it has.

The only way microsoft may survive with competitors popping up.
>>
File: 640US.jpg (164 KB, 1526x514) Image search: [Google]
640US.jpg
164 KB, 1526x514
>>53929292
>How do we save Windows 10 Mobile?

Easy. Flood the market with CHEAP 640s.
$30 trade-in for your (now obsolete) WP
$90 for everyone else
>>
i just want to install windows phone on my note 5 :/
>>
To save Windows phone, Microsoft would have to accomplish two things

1. Get it applications
2. Penetrate a niche market

The first is being accomplished by buying up xamarin and open sourcing .NET. Simply put, they need as many people using .NET as possible. If they can convince people it will make their applications portable, it may be seen as a less shitty Java with all of the advantages of portability. And hey, if you can use the same codebase for iOS and Android, you may as well add in Windows phone as well if it won't cost much extra to target.

The second is hard to predict. Right now, they have price and good cameras, and that's it. But Android is still the preferred area here, especially now that you can get a $10 Android phone. Given that they are now pushing for more multiplatform software, whatever it is that they plan on using to save Windows phone, it's going to have to come from a hardware side to beat out Android.
>>
>>53934561

>/g/ about Microsoft...
I have consistently argued against iOS because of it being a walled garden. I have never promoted Windows phone instead of Android, because Android has been an open platform from the start. I have heard that current versions of Windows phone can install unsigned applications, however I cannot verify if this is true or not, and I have certainly argued against the use of Windows phone before I had heard of this.
>>
When I got my lumia it said it was upgradable to windows 10 on the box but microshit didn't deliver. Not that it matters, the hardware was so bad the battery bloated and the screen stopped working for no apperent reason. I was busy writing apps for windows store trying to make a few $$$ but now I don't have a device to test my code on because every windows phone I own is dead due to shitty hardware! In the end, microsoft didn't accept my app because apperently wardriving is illegal hacking. I honestly don't give a fuck about this platform anymore, it's a waste of time/money, everything about it is just shit and microsoft won't hesitate to cuck developers.
>>
>>53929292
>PROJECT ASTORIA IS DEAD
Nothing can save W10M anymore
>>
>>53941994
Even after all this some fucking pajeet from the microsoft shilling department had the balls to email me and ask "how can we make universal windows platform better for developers?". I told him to fuck off with his shilling because I'd wasted weeks perfecting my app only for microsoft to reject it.
>>
>>53929292
Fix the fucking music controls in the volume popup already.
>>
Why won't att let the 640 get the upgrade????
>>
>>53943302
I upgraded my 640 with the insider program perfectly, but then again i dont use it as a phone and ive never put in the sim (i unlocked it too)
>>
File: HP-iPAQ-hw6900.jpg (101 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
HP-iPAQ-hw6900.jpg
101 KB, 500x650
>>53929292

Windows Mobile/Phone? Is that still a thing?
>>
>>53941013
> $10 android phone
What
>>
>>53931789
Yup, opt into the "release preview" ring. Update and you'll be good to go.
>>
>>53941013
They are releasing surface phones to appeal specifically to niche like you have gaming laptop for example
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.