[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lightweight Non-Debian based Distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 180px-Linux-for-niggers.jpg (10 KB, 180x149) Image search: [Google]
180px-Linux-for-niggers.jpg
10 KB, 180x149
I want to venture away from Ubuntu (Lubuntu, Ubuntu Server, Kubuntu) and try out a non-debian based distro. What is a good distro to run occasionally in a window manager but mostly without gui for a old Pentium/256MB RAM Think Pad?

Most software dependencies aren't a problem as I would be mostly using SSH
>>
Tinycore Linux
Puppy Linux
>>
Linux from scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
>>53872081
What's the learning curve on those? What is better about them than a debian based distro?
>>
>>53872123
How hard would it be to get at least X running?
>>
>>53872156

that suggestion is overkill and a meme and can be safely ignored
>>
>>53872193
I don't know I have a lot of time on my hands and not a lot to do. I'm not *that* good with linux though.
>>
Why does OP want to avoid debian?
>>
>>53872318
The distros I stated. I have my main laptop running kubuntu because my HD with the original W8 died, a server with ubuntu server, and the thinkpad is running severely degraded lubuntu. Pretty much every old pc I had has LXDE for at least a while.
>>
>>53872363
My point is I have pretty much 0 experience of non Ubuntu based distros, let alone debian.
>>
>>53872363
>>53872376
I just want you to know I'm not exactly an advanced user, more of a normie

I've tried a few different linux distros, and Debian using LXDE on laptop/KDE on tower was one of the better ones for me, so I was just curious as to why you avoided Debian. Thank you for explaining though.
>>
>>53872376
Well, nigger who saves thumbnails, it sounds like you wanna just fuck around. If that's the case, build a Linux from scratch. There's no practical reason to switch from Debian anyway.
>>
>>53872436
Im suprised /g/ isnt more anti debian. Is there at least something besides ubuntu I can run on a Pentium M/256MB thinkpad
>>
>>53872481
you could try arch it is fairly easy if you follow the wiki pages. lots of options for desktop, can be as heavy or as light as you like. just dont think you are some hacker for following instructions and you will be all good
>>
>>53872058
http://www.calculate-linux.org/

It's Gentoo without the scary install
>>
>>53872156
you'd have more luck writing your own operating system from scratch at that point tb eich famiglia
>>
Alpine.
>>
Debian
>>
>>53872481
Why would /g/ be against a community project like debian?
>>
>>53872156
If you actually know how to download source and compile it, I would think you could have a window manager running in 12 hours or so. I did lfs around 2 years ago and recently did clfs(cross linux from scratch).
>>
>>53872058
slackware, arch, gentoo, damn small linux (DSL), linux from scratch (LFS)
>>
No need to go away from debian for a lightweight experience, Debian is lightweight. Install debian with no GUI Then things will "just work". Be aware that you will need to echo your wifi password to /etc/network/interfaces along with configuring it for ifupdown to work.
>>
>>53872058
Alpine
Void
Crux
>>
>>53874935
>>CRUX
deal with it.
>>
>>53872058
CentOS for yummy time.
>>
>>53872058
I use LXLE. It's light weight yet still powerful.
>>
>>53875275

LXLE is my favorite distro too.
>>
>>53874464
We wouuld not allowed to make the logo
>>
File: Son_you_have_Autism.png (206 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
Son_you_have_Autism.png
206 KB, 604x604
Ubuntu
>>
>>53872058
void enlightenment
>>
File: Fucking feels.jpg (149 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Fucking feels.jpg
149 KB, 700x700
>>53875890
Dumb frog poster
>>
>>53872058
just use debian
>>
Arch
>>
>>53875362
Nice, it's rare I find another LXLE user. You might also like bunsen labs. It's a continuation of crunch bang. It's the only Deb distro I like.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.