[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/, my little brother thinks he's good at computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: technology n shiet.jpg (125 KB, 960x512) Image search: [Google]
technology n shiet.jpg
125 KB, 960x512
Hello /g/, my little brother thinks he's good at computer cause he can play some games but dumb kid doesn't know anything about programming (neither do i).

Anyway, he wants to be a programmer. I doubt he'll last long, but he's trying to learn java now. Do i stop him, or let him follow his dreams?
>>
isn't shaq q programmer? tell ur brother that
>>
meme the fuck out of him
>>
Just let him be. If he can't program, he may eventually stop programming because that means he can't figure out how to debug when he gets errors in his code
>>
if you support him and he is successful you'll be able to learn from him or just ride his dicktails.

if you shut him down before he even has a chance to be successful or fail you'll literally be hitler.

even if you support him and he fails it'll still be better than just shitting on him before he gets going.
>>
>>53829562
this
>>
The best motivation for learning programming is treating it as a means to an end. What does he want to learn programming for? If it's just for the sake of it, he won't last long.
>>
>>53829091
what would be the point of stopping him, I mean other than to be petty and not let him try for things because him succeeding would make you feel worse about yourself
>>
>>53829091
I wish I knew who he was so that I could tell him how poorly his own flesh and blood thinks of him.
>>
>>53832202
>implying you owe something to your body
Dumb neo-hippie scum
>>
>>53832086
>>53832116
He loves creating stuff, and by all means I want him to succeed, but he's the kind that gives up fast so I don't want him to ruin his life with picking a wrong career
>>
>>53829091
>java
No no no no no
No
No no no
Just
No.
Unless there's a teacher behind him, don't let him start from Java, because he will take some bad habits and write code without understanding why a particular instryction is needed, basically he will become a Pajeet.

Every programmer in this world MUST start from C for the following reasons:
>small core language
>ease of use
>actually lets you handle behind-the-curtains shit like memory allocation
>simplifies the transition to more featured languages (C++, Java...)
>>
OP you should stop being a jealous faggot and encourage your brother to succeed. Programming isn't hard and there's no reason he won't be able to make a career out of it.

you should tell him to follow this anon's >>53833745 advice and go for it.
>>
Mess up with his shit, if that pisses him enough it might help him quit.
>>
>>53833785
Letting shitheads like that become programmers is just gonna do more harm than good.
>>
Teach him Basil https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/520965826/basil-the-comprehensive-programming-language
>>
>>53833907
The fuck is this shit, I feel raped deep inside.
>>
>>53829091
Why would you ever stop someone from following their dreams....

At worst he fails and finds out programming isnt for him. However if he is actually good at it he may come up with the next big idea and become a millionaire. Not much of a downside
>>
>>53833907
I pledged 100 to this, got the beta, they actually have a really impressive way of integrating the jump, collide, move, etc. functions. They only import the function if it's used in the program, so it's not like it's a bloated or anything.It's decent on Windows and Linux(all native code) but on Mac it's basically a glorified Python pre-processor, slow as shit. They said it's just a concept and they'll improve it. It is in beta I guess but I have 0 faith in them completing it. If you're using OSX don't donate to it until they update the beta. I wouldn't trust a 14 year old to complete it(https://twitter.com/caolanfleming).
>>
>>53833907
>>53834012
we aren't giving you any money Caolan. If your new features are so great make them open source and the reputation gained in the industry will go a lot farther than the 5k check you're trying to jew.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.