[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have experience with premium domains?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Premium-Domain-Names.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Premium-Domain-Names.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Hello /g/
A family member of mine owned an important .com domain name, and, without telling me, didn't renew it.
Apparently HugeDomains.com registered it, and will only sell it for $2000. I can't snipe it, since ICANN says
>Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Which means it's locked, so I need the permission of the registrant to transfer it away.

Anyone have experience dealing with premium domain scams? I don't want to give them $2000, since it's extortion. Is there another way?
>>
>>53827638
None that will cost you <$2000.

Renew your domains or lose them.
>>
You either fucked up or are trying to socially engineer /g to help you scam someone. Either way you're a moron. If the domain is that important to you, buy it.
>>
>>53827665
The family member in question owned our last name as a .com, and we'd been trying for years to get him to give it to us, but he refused. Faggot was in debt, so I assume that's why he dropped it. It's not impossible that he's behind the premium domain scam, to try to get $2000 our of us, but not so likely, as he doesn't have the kind of technical knowledge to even know what a premium domain is.
>>
>>53827763
Bump, anyone else?
>>
File: 1459621940481.jpg (157 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
1459621940481.jpg
157 KB, 501x585
>>53827882
Nobody else has experience dealing with the Domain Grubber?
>>
>>53827638
I don't know OP, I think you're fucked. There's no way that I know of to snatch the domain.

On a semi-related note, what's the deal with premium domains where the domain registry charges you more than the normal price for each renewal?
>>
>>53828071
I don't know about that, I can buy my premium domain on hover.com for $2000, but it says that afterwards the renewal rate is their normal .com rate.
Obviously when you buy a premium domain, you shouldn't keep the same registrar, that's just asking for trouble. Often the registrar and the premium domain after-market are owned by the same person, which is pretty clever. e.g. my domain is registered at HugeDomains.com, its registrar is NameBright.com, both are owned by the same people.
>>
>>53827638
You could sue them, and most likely prove that their purchase was malicious and get refunded+damages(good luck proving them), but that would cost more than $2k.
>>
>>53828229
Yeah, the renewal rate being the normal one is the type of premium domain I was familiar with, but this seems to be Donuts just squeezing money out of people for popular domains.

(This is for one of those newer generic TLDs btw)
>>
>>53827958
If someone currently owns it and it's registered and for sale, then the only way is to purchase it for asking price.
>>
>>53827763
Does your family have a business? If not, you have no business owning a .com domain.

Register the appropriate tld you fuck.
>>
>>53828445
"This is an open TLD; any person or entity is permitted to register. Though originally intended for use by for-profit business entities, for a number of reasons it became the "main" TLD for domain names and is currently used by all types of entities including nonprofits, schools, and private individuals." - Wikipedia
>>
>>53828445
Were you the technical consultant for the Jeb! campaign? Haha, now I know why JebBush.com used to redirect to DonaldJTrump.com.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.