[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many games are gonna support Vulkan instead of/alongside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: Vulkan_500px_Mar15.png (16 KB, 1160x338) Image search: [Google]
Vulkan_500px_Mar15.png
16 KB, 1160x338
How many games are gonna support Vulkan instead of/alongside with DX12?
Will it flop like Mantle and OpenGL?
>>
>>53820717
mantle and opengl didnt flop it evolved into vulkan and got more backing.
I belive a lot of games made for steamos, ps4 will be vulkan. but MS will shill hard and pay off devs most AAA will be dx12
>>
>>53820808
Pretty much this

I'd say Vulkan will be huge on Linux gaming, not sure about PS4 but if it is used on PS4 hopefully more games can be ported without being terrible. Also agreed with the MS part, they probably won't need to pay off devs like EA and Ubisoft, they'll shill DX12 on their own
>>
>>53821014
The PS4 has its own API I think.
>>
>>53821095
it's got a really fucked up version of OpenGL
>>
>>53820808
Nintendo joined Khronos not too long ago. I expect the NX to support Vulkan too.
>>
People need to nag devs and publishers for Vulkan support if they want it to take off. MS is giving incentives to them at the moment, if there's no feedback from consumers they will just go with MS.

Ashes of the singularity and Deus Ex are the best two to target at the moment. Ashes devs are planning to do vulkan but it's clearly being delayed due to MS bribes. Deus Ex doesn't seem to have much of a connection to MS but aren't talking about Vulkan.

Starcitizen also seems to be undecided if they will go Vulkan or DX12 will be a priority, users could push them towards Vulkan easily.
>>
>>53820717
>opengl
>flop

U wot m8
>>
>>53820717
I hope it will make Linux viable. I'm gonna switch immediately when I can play highend 4K games on it.
>>
>>53821724
>clearly being delayed due to MS bribes
do you have a shred of evidence to support that?
>>
>>53820717
> How many games are gonna support Vulkan instead of/alongside with DX12?
17.5 games by March 2017
>>
Vulkan isn't even in a "stable" state yet

Same with DX12 but at least DX12 is in a mostly working state.
>>
>>53820717
Very few. Developers are already bitching and whining about the extra work that DX12 is putting on them, such as having to code SLI/Crossfire support themselves rather than relying on Nvidia/AMD to do it. They're not going to start supporting alternative APIs just for the sake of it, especially when Microsoft is incentivising people so well.
>>
>>53822531
Yes it is. It's the games that aren't.

Vulkan is about where Wayland is. The standard isn't the issue. It's the implementations of the standard that don't exist yet.
>>
>>53820717
Is amdgpu out yet?
>>
>>53822863
Abandoned, just like old AMD open source projects.
>>
File: wat.jpg (25 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
25 KB, 600x512
>OpenGL
>flop
>>
Vulkan is a meme. DirectX12 is all that matters
>>
>>53821150
the gpu in the nx better be nicknamed mode 7
>>
>>53821111
Actually it's a somewhat modified version of mantle since its AMD hardware inside which, hopefully make porting console games to DX12/Vulkan a lot easier
>>
>>53820717
Vulkan is horse-shit but it's the best horse-shit we have.
>>
>>53820717
OpenGL didn't flop. It's the most used graphics library ever.
>>
>>53824457
Now that graphics card technology has improved and become more standard, Vulkan is a replacement for OpenGL that can run faster, as it works in a way that closely resembles how current cards work.
>>
>vulkan
>flop
>not dx12
What, are you literally retarded?
>>
>>53820717
at this point everyone will be supporting it except Apple.

they will too eventually in all likelihood if they want to keep games on their laptop/desktop systems.
>>
>>53820717
Vulkan will take over 100% on Android and maybe future Playstation hardware because Sony actually uses OpenGL for it.

On the PC side it probably won't make a huge dent in DirectX because it's completely different and devs are already expected to use DirectX12 now so I doubt they're going to support that AND Vulkan somehow.

There'll be some games that use it, like Serious Engine games now like Talos do but it'll be niche at best.
>>
>>53824823
Valve is shilling for Vulkan.
>>
how many games now use OpenGL

just a small handful of games

do you really expect it to take over anything?

even if it does it doesn't mean that 'Linux Gaming" will take off because it won't except for the same five autistic kids doing it already.
>>
>>53824840
well it's too bad for them they don't make any fucking games, and when they do they're not OpenGL because they're fucking lazy.

Gabe is just scared Bill Gates will cut off his money faucet one of these days so he has to pretend to hedge his bets, that's all. It's just bullshit.
>>
>>53820717
You just need the game engines to support it. Unreal and cry will probably do it, source is definitely doing it, so that's like 70% of the AAA games. Unity will do it, so its like 90% of the indie games.
>>
>>53822185
common sense
>>
>>53822863
Beta hybrid driver is out for GCN 1.2. Experimental support for 1.1 and no support for 1.0 though
>>
>>53824867

Dota 2's gonna run on Vulkan, they had a demo running on an Intel stall. I think it might even ship out end of April. I'm sure any new shit is gonna run on Vulkan too. Might even make CS:GO Vulkan when they port it to Linux.
>>
Wait, i thought openGL didnt fail?
>>
>>53825295
It didn't. OP is a memelord.
>>
>>53820717
>OpenGL
>flop
OpenGL seems to be the dominant cross-platform graphics API.

Not that I'd expect a Winbabby faggotgamer to understand.
>>
>>53820717
i'm betting on vulkan solely because microsoft repeated the dx10/winvista blunder.
>>
>>53825465
Candy Crush on Android doesn't count, assfaggot
>>
>>53827737
>Candy Crush
topkek

OpenGL is used in the industry by programs whose individual licenses cost more than your entire game collection.
>>
>>53827794
this
>>
>>53827794
As a fallback when DX is not available, retard.
>>
>>53827931
3D workstation programs (some that cost $1000s) primarily use OpenGL, not Direct3D.

Direct3D is primarily used for video games.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.