[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With all the retarded Hifi bullshit. I'm surprised music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: cds.jpg (704 KB, 1024x689) Image search: [Google]
cds.jpg
704 KB, 1024x689
With all the retarded Hifi bullshit.

I'm surprised music are still sold on CDs. If you want something physical that is.

Why not sell the uncompressed audio? To my understanding even CD audio is somewhat compress.
>>
downsampled.
consumers don't need anything more than 16/44.
>>
>>53806870
anything higher than cd is undetectable by human ear
>>
There's Super Audio CD and other less popular formats like DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Pure Audio, but all of those are niche formats.
>>
>>53806870
CD audio is not compressed. It's also mathematically and demonstrably "perfect" quality for any limitation of human hearing. We'll never have a higher quality audio format.
>>
>>53806870
>surprised music still sold on cds

if you want a physical copy of music cds are really the best thing out there, factory pressed cds work for freaking ever
>>
>>53808045
Theoretically yes but vinyl tends to be mastered better.
>>
>>53808100
*hiss pop hiss*
>>
File: FULL_FLEX.png (555 KB, 1365x740) Image search: [Google]
FULL_FLEX.png
555 KB, 1365x740
>>53808113
Even if that were true it's a fine price to pay for avoiding, well, this.
>>
>>53808183
Most modern vinyl releases are just sourced from the digtal masters.

Believe me, I made the mistake of buying a 100€ LP of Perfume's Level3 just to find it sounded just as bad as the CD.
>>
>>53808100
you have to be retarded to even consider using a plastic analogue piece of shit as an audio plataform, if they wanted to give you the real shit they could use 64gb flash drives
>>
>>53808210
Really depends on the release. Lightning Bolt's 'Fantasy Empire' has significantly more dynamic range on vinyl than CD, for example.
>>
>>53808100
>Theoretically yes but vinyl tends to be mastered better.

Maybe on a select few albums 20 fucking years ago. CD audio is perfect quality and a lot can be bought digitally as FLAC or WAV. Long ago, the DAC in CD players used to be lower quality, but now even the DAC in your phone is extremely good.

Only retarded hipsters still use vinyl.

>>53808244
>Lightning Bolt's 'Fantasy Empire' has significantly more dynamic range on vinyl than CD
Then they must be some stupid hipster band making a separate vinyl master for no reason.
>>
>>53808100
Vinyl isn't mastered properly anymore. Now you get the same as the CD except with dynamic compression and surface noise.
>>
>>53808290
Compelling arguments, friend. I stand corrected. CD is definitely always mastered better.
>>
>>53808244
The only way that is remotely possible if it was the intention of the autists who produced that compressed (as in Lightning Bolt is just a compression effect) pile of shit.

Dynamic range is inherently higher in the digital format. Vinyl is analog which sounds more pretty, so your statement should be "i prefer to listen to my shitty music on vinyl because its pretty and im a pretty"
>>
>>53808370
>Dynamic range is inherently higher in the digital format

Potential != actual. CD masters tend to feature more dynamic range compression and more clipping because record companies believe louder music sells better. They also think that people buying vinyl don't give a shit about loudness because they are generally more interested in audio for its own sake. Go grab a dozen CD rips and vinyl rips of the same song from the same release from your preferred tracker and see for yourself.
>>
>>53808410
Thank you. You just corroborated my point.
>>
>>53808442
What was your point?
>>
People prefer vinyl because of it's inherent compression and distortion. If you were raised listening to records, the combination is pleasing to your ear and everything else will sound sterile.

Calling it higher quality is really completely opposite to what it is. By doing the analog thing and recording to tape for vinyl production, you're introducing way more distortion and natural compression than would have ever come up even on the oldest DAWs
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.