[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1459280974880.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1459280974880.webm
3 MB, 720x404
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
How do I build rust using my system's rust instead of downloading their stage0?
>>
>>53786249
--enable-local-rust
>>
File: build.jpg (124 KB, 1567x928) Image search: [Google]
build.jpg
124 KB, 1567x928
Just want a quick look over this build to make sure there isnt anything stupid there. The processor is a core i3 4170. The build is just gonna be used as web browsing and office work mainly but id rather go with a core i3 than a pentium as it will probably have to last a number of years. thanks. will be buying off amzon uk most likely btw.
>>
>>53786366
>cx psu
get something a bit better for longevity
>>
I need a 'gaymen laptop'
or just something that can play games at acceptable framerates, something better than shitty intel iGPU's
I'm not against buying used laptops, but the issue is the last laptop I bought was a used T400
>>
How do you change resolutions in android x86? I'm using this guide:
http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/fl/Fix-Android-Screen-Resolution-In-VirtualBox.htm
and as soon as I type the 'r' in 'mkdir' it says '[ 25.693222] random: nonblocking pool is initialized'.
>>
>>53786447
>play games
what kind of games, you could be talking about indie shit or AAA
>>
>>53786529
probably the most intense thing would be either civ5 or elite dangerous, or maybe metro 2033
I don't mind lowering the settings as long as I can run it at native resolution and 60fps
>>
>>53786565
get something with a i5 along with a dedicated gpu, If you really want to play games on a laptop your going to end up paying twice as much for the same performance you could get on a desktop of half the cost
>>
File: 1458770205255.png (31 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1458770205255.png
31 KB, 321x322
I want to get into macro photography. I need to take photos of things very small and very close and use a shallow depth of field.

Do I need a lower f-number or a higher one for this purpose? Say I need to take a photo of something 1in away and the object is flat in appearance, I need to focus very close.
>>
>>53786226
Quick stupid question
Should I be worried about ghosting on monitors while purchasing monitors?
Reviewers bring it up with a slight ghosting of the image in tests, and not sure how really it effects in real life situations.
>>
If I have 7.1 or 5.1 audio bluray, how can I 'mix it' in MPC to 2.1 system? (two genelec speakers and 1 genelec bass)
>>
I want something like chromecast but that lets me cast my entire screen like the skype "share screen" option. No bullshit app or chrome limitation.

Does this exist? What is it called?
>>
Got a laptop from my friend, did a clean install before he sold it to me. But the drives are in RAID 0, which I don't want. Can I:

>Make a shrunk down Disc Image
>Break raid/repartition as separate drives
>Restore image to single drive

I've never had to de-RAID an OS drive before. It'd save hours of updates and driver hunting, but am I asking for driver conflicts and such by trying this?
>>
File: Untitled.png (90 KB, 1183x441) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
90 KB, 1183x441
"Queued". What does it mean, "queued"? I must already have the torrent contents and the metadata to seed, as otherwise it would say "stalled", until it does "checking" to confirm I have all the torrent contents.

Does "queued" mean I lack priority to seed?
>>
>>53787185
I think queued means that there's not enough upload slots or something
>>
>>53787301

Oh, I understand.

that's pretty crazy. never seen that before. thanks for the reply and answer
>>
What are some simple video cutting tools for larger files?

I've tried stuff like Machete Lite which messes up the sound and Avidemux which won't set start and end points and crashes all the time, as well as a few other ones which are garbage
>>
>>53787301
>>53787185
Queue means to await processing
>>
>>53787330

sorry, but what is "processing"? I did add all those torrents only this morning
>>
Every time I shut down, "failed to apply updates, reverting changes". Sometimes it will reboot, sometimes it won't; if it doesn't, it will reboot on next launch. I've tried disabling my firewall, going into safe mode and uninstalling updates, etc, no dice. Any ideas? Non-legit Win 10, I had a similar issue on 8.1 too.
>>
I bought a Brother HL-3150CDN printer and tried to set it up, but I had some networking issues. I connected it to my router via ethernet and wasn't able to communicate with it. Was able to ping it using a crossover cable but no printing on that either. After an hour on the phone repeating pointless tests, Brother support told me it was probably an issue with my router, which I find really hard to believe. Of course, did all the standard stuff, set a static IP, installed drivers, created a port, etc. Not really sure what was going on so I returned the printer, but I'm curious. Anyone know what's up? Also, recommend me a colour laser multifunction with duplexing pls.
>>
File: milk.jpg (118 KB, 685x636) Image search: [Google]
milk.jpg
118 KB, 685x636
Is it true that using a custom camera app instead of the stock one on a phone can help with taking clearer pictures?

Currently using an Xperia Z2 camera and there's a lot of fuzziness to it that I don't like.
>>
>>53787736

I mean, I'm sure technigger has made that claim in one of his phone/ phone camera reviews in that IIRC he hopes a software update would improve the camera sometimes, so I would think so, but I know nothing about tech at all.

and, just because this is the sqt thread, by "technigger" I mean MKBHD (no disrespect, it's just habit)
>>
Would replacing a 660ti with anything better be worth it if I'm stuck with an i7 3770S?
My mobo is garbage and it's the best compatible one I could find a bargain for.
>>
File: yt today.png (24 KB, 1726x920) Image search: [Google]
yt today.png
24 KB, 1726x920
what the fuck is up with youtube?
yesterday yt started displaying like pic related
I thought it was my palemoon so I downloaded current vanilla FF and it looks exactly the same
>>
>>53787910

as a fuccboi who knows shit about anythin and only has this tab open due to having personally asked a question:

did you try booting FF in safemode (which disables addons)?
are you sure a mandatory plugin is not outdated and automatically turned-off, or anything?
>>
>>53787910
I bet there's some script that isn't being downloaded
>>
File: 230.png (389 KB, 680x530) Image search: [Google]
230.png
389 KB, 680x530
>>53786226
How can 2 different desktop PCs on the same wired network have 2 grossly different download speeds?

The case in question is my father's and my pc.
his is a shitty pre-built, gets 60+ down, mine struggles to break 10.
my upload speeds are like they should, in the 50s.

>tried unpluggin everything but my ethernet from the mode,/router
>tried changing ethernet slot
>already in full duplex
what the fuck?
>>
>>53787933
ok it did it for the FF but I don't see how it did it given that it was fresh install with no addons to begin with
I'm absolutely certain I did not add any new filters or rules to my palemoon
>>
>>53787910
>firefox users
LOL
>>
File: 1447877821393.jpg (74 KB, 463x488) Image search: [Google]
1447877821393.jpg
74 KB, 463x488
Is there any viable substitute to Gmail?
>>
>>53787185
In your settings you have a option to check how many torrents can work at the same time.

You reached that limit.
>>
>tfw disabled js globally
bliss
>>
>>53787933
>>53787938
ok I went through my adblocker and checked for yt ui/layout elements I have blocked like that featured video that starts autoplaying when you visit channel pages and such
I had two really old filters for those, removed them and it is back to normal
so google fucked around wit the site code
>>
>>53788101

JESUS christ how horrifying. why the fuck would qbittorrent cockblock its users like that? this thing was entirely stock besides my making it:

-start with windows
-minimize to taskbar on exit

and formerly I had to manually remove the default 40kb upload cap. no idea why they put caps like these....

thanks for the reply and answer
>>
>>53788107
does anything even work anymore with js disabled? I'd imagine most sites would just be an almost blank page
>>
i'm thinking about ordering my 6700k build right now because a lot of the parts are on sale and have mail in rebates. i'm wondering if my old hd5850 will be bottlenecked and useless with this system? i didn't want to pay extra for a motherboard with onboard graphics. and then i'll buy a pascal or polaris when they come out
>>
>>53788165
most i use do
>>
>>53788024
please help I need to watch my lewd anime cartoons
>>
>>53788187
Anon, all cheap Z170X motherboards have onboars graphics.
And the 6700k has a IGPU.
>>
>>53788134
jesus just use deluge
>>
>>53788215
oh. is that better than a 5850?
>>
File: Untitled.png (25 KB, 419x356) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25 KB, 419x356
>>53788101

hey, I found the setting and disabled it, but I found another setting that I'd think pretty much does the same thing. are there any other settings in qb that on default cockblock your seeding capabilities? pic related are the two things I found that I mentioned in this post.

>>53788222
>jesus just use deluge

I mean... all I wanna do is download, and seed. it's pretty annoying that qbittorrent PREVENTS that from just being a straight thing that happens by default, but if I've got it now/ can get it then it'd be ok. but it would still kinda suck getting cockblocked by default

but I just reinstalled windows which is why I added my torrents again
>>
>>53788240
Im not really sure but the skylake IGPUs are really good.
>>
I've got a Youtube video loaded on Chrome but it has since been removed.

Is there any way to download it? Can't find any extensions.
>>
Whats a pair of good cheap headphones that I can use in public? (Doesnt leak noise, doesnt look weird)
>>
>>53788288
I don't understand you but:
Youtube-dl.
>>
>>53788292
>Doesnt leak noise

wanna know this too. The standard rec for affordable portable cans to my knowledge are the Koss Portapros, but those're clearly open-end and would thus leak sound
>>
Thinking of buying a monitor to use in a dual setup. My current one is 1680x1050.

Should I buy another one of the same resolution to keep it uniform or just go with a 1920x1080? And does anyone have any recommendations, preferably under $260.
>>
>>53788272
that's fine
I just find deluge easier to operate, clearer laid out and it sort of connects better
also it's FOSS
but all that aside I just like it more than other clients and that's why I recommend it
>>
Can someone suggest me the remaining parts? Also i intend to OC and no, i can't wait for the new cards since i have limited money
>>
>>53788384
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C3ZxhM

Forgot link
>>
>>53788287
well i did a little research and it seems that iGPU isn't any better than a gtx740 which is pretty bad
>>
I bought a SSD yesterday and I'm having problems being able to migrate my OS because the HDD has more on it. I literally just want to move the OS and maybe a few games instead of the entirety of the hard drive
>>
>>53788372

desu I'm looking at screenshots of its UI on google, and the non-standard font is kinda not what I'm looking for. I'm the type of guy who is totally fine with programs looking straight for Windows98 for the most part. Like, just yesterday when getting KPC cause it's my video player of choice I installed the Black Edition version just to check it out, then uninstalled it to get the MPC-HC cause the MPC-BE seekbar and buttons and etc. isn't standard.

but, thanks for the rec, and for just trying to help me find an ideal bittorrent program for me since my current one is clearly buttfucking me. Cheers.
>>
>>53788427
dont you have to reinstall the OS on the ssd? Thats what I did
>>
>>53788272
it doesn't prevent anything though, just fucking turn the option off.

jesus chrust
>>
>>53788400
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sGLr99
>>
>>53788447
I've seen several things saying you can migrate it, but I can't seem to since my hard drive is larger than the ssd
>>
>>53788465
Will this last for 4 years or so? Also will i have no problem in OC? I have to transfer and i wanna build something that will last for some before coming back home
>>
>>53788024
Mobo lan drivers maybe

what type of cable are you using?
>>
>>53788481
your best bet would be to just do a clean install on the ssd, put what you want on it, and use symlinks to point to your documents and shit
>>
>>53788408
Same and you are better with your HD5850.
For me it does the job just fine on games at mid settings.
>>53788400
Get a 850 Evo instead the BX200.
Get a HSF, NHU12S, too expensive? 212 EVO.
You are going to overclock, you will need it.

And that's it, your build is good.

>>53788371

logicalincrements.com/monitors

The ASUS budget monitors are really good.
>>
>>53788458
>it doesn't prevent anything though, just fucking turn the option off.

No, I mean, even if it allows you to turn off the caps, the fact that there are caps by default means it's not just out-of-the-box a program you use to upload + download infinitely.

so I shouldn't've used the word "prevent". I meant to just say, it's like, I want unprotected sex, but to enter the room I need to put on a condom on my cock. It just gets in the way...
>>
>>53788499
yeah definitely for 1080p gaming
>>
>>53788500
a normal ethernet cable
Do I just download new drivers from the mobo manufacturer's website?
>>
>>53788540
>a normal Ethernet

what does it say on the sheath?
ie cat5, cat6, etc.

as for the drivers, yeah
>>
Hey /g/entoomen, I have a Ubuntu 12 server which I have a TS server client running atm, a few days ago I installed a game server but for some reason ever time I connect it disconnects me instantly. My friend has tried installing the game server in VM and it worked fine. What can I look for that could be causing this?
>>
>>53786226
Anyone know anything about Windows 7 shells?

I need to use it for some things, but I hate the fucking interface. Are there any good mostly keyboard-driven shells out there for it? Something like i3 or Enlightenment?
>>
>>53788533
>>53788516

Thanks, i intend to play only on 1080p, about the cooler will the 212 evo be okay or should i look for a better one?
>>
TL;DR: Hard drive bank enclosure: what is it called?
What's the best way of going about making one?

I need to back up some data from HD's I've been carting around from several systems over the past few years and from my current laptop that's on its last legs.

Up to now it's been external hard drives (costly) and the odd hard drive enclosure for orphaned drives from dead desktops and laptops.

What are my options?
I can just keep buying externals, but I've heard mention of basically a bank of harddrives in an enclosure that would appear to be far more economical in the long run.

What is this thing called? If I have a name I can do a proper search for how to make it (live in the turd world so parts may be more difficult to find). Up till now I keep running into something called a NAS, which is some kind of network shit.
I don't need a network, just a cache to dump a mass of old data.

Fanks /g/uys.
>>
>>53788603
the 212 evo is big and loud but works great

you can pay extra for something quieter. it's personal preference
>>
>>53788558
cat 5e
>>
Does using a different $business@$personal_domain that forwards to a personal google account offer any privacy benefits?
>>
>>53788516
>>53788627
>>53788533

Nvm unfortunately i have to go cheaper, any cheaper motherboard or powersupply? Also is the 850 evo necessary to oc?
>>
>>53788603
If you don't overclock its really silent and keeps your CPU under 35°C.

If you overclock you will start noticing some noise but does the job just fine.
>>
I'm trying to convert from MBR to GPT to make full use of my 4TB HDD.

While installing Windows, I did the "diskpart > list disk > select disk # > clean > convert gpt" thing in cmd, and it told me the disk was successfully converted to GPT, but after the installation, it was clear that it didn't work.
Disk Management won't let me convert the disk to GPT (greyed out), Partition Wizard won't let me do it either (error message).
EaseUS Partition Master lets me hamfist the conversion, but my PC is unable to boot up after it happens, which makes no sense because my mobo does support UEFI. Switching between legacy and UEFI mode when booting made no difference, it still didn't work.

Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
>>
>>53788749
Not to OC but ta a way better than your current SSD.

212 EVO?
Yes, stock HSF wont do.
>>
>>53788800
I have 1400 yurobucks and the costs goes over 1500, any way i can go cheaper on something?
>>
>>53788292
bump
>>
>>53788749
you could get a cheaper MOBO but it won't have as many options.

you can get a cheaper SSD(or not get one at all; they aren't that important for gaming)

16GB is overkill. 8GB of memory is fine unless you do a ton of multitasking and/or video editing. also brand doesn't matter. RAM is RAM

that PSU is like 50% off right now. you could get something cheaper but it won't be nearly as high quality

you can get a cheaper gtx980 as well. the gigabyte windforce is good.

other than that the only way to get it cheaper is to buy used parts which is a gamble
>>
>>53788846
I just noticed something about your build
Where is your PSU?
>>
>>53788573
bump linux gods plz
>>
>>53788558
updated (downloaded the latest zip from asus' site and ran autosetup.exe) and I still get 17mbit down instead of 60 (and we have a 100 connection but 60 is what the other pc is getting
>>
So far, I've only browsed apkmania and apkgalaxy. Any other good sites for cracked apks?

Also, what is the recommended manga reader/viewer for android?
>>
>>53788899
>>>/g/flt
>>
>>53788880
It was one of the parts i requested as well, i was missing the PSU, the Cooler and the Motherboard.
>>
>>53788516
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out.
>>
Can anyone help me out with some rough pricing?
How much would someone get paid to develop an Android application for a small to medium size company? In GBP please. I can give more info if necessary.
>>
>>53786226
I am thinking of building a cheap csgo desktop using old xeon cpus. I was thinking of getting a X5450 but don't know what motherboard would be good to get for best support(overclock and easy to use) as well as pricewise.
>>
>>53788989
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ts8TvK
>>
I have two computers both running windows 8.1 64bit, both have the same antivirus and the same version. I installed the same torrent onto both of them but only one machine flagged the file as suspicious. Am I to assume one machine is compromised? What should I do? Malware bytes came out clean
>>
I received a pre-built computer as a gift 3 years ago, I use it for gaming. I've got 3-400 dollars to spend upgrading it, but I'm not sure where to start.

I know that my video card is old (660ti), I also read several customer reviews online that said my computer came with a shitty motherboard. I don't think the processor or ram need upgrading (fx 8350, 16gb), and I'm not sure I need an SSD either. If it matters I think my computer has a 650w psu but I'm not at home to verify.

Should I get a new graphics card and call it a day, or is it worth exploring getting a new motherboard? I was also thinking about replacing the fans, as they are loud as fuck.
>>
>>53789068
Any alternative the the supernova nex? Its not avaiable where i live.
>>
Ok /g/entooman, i need a VPN. Which does /g/ recommend? Im in the US with 150mbps down looking for something for p2p faster than 3mb/s down
>>
File: vhs-42554_640.png (57 KB, 640x336) Image search: [Google]
vhs-42554_640.png
57 KB, 640x336
Why can't I upload videos to >>>/r/?
I need to request video names, and can't!
>>
Microsoft Word merge document, how do I do today's date + 10 days (ten days from now)?

I have this to do today's date when the document is loaded:

{ SET DATE { DATE \@"MMMM d, yyyy"}}{ REF DATE \*MERGEFORMAT }

This gives:

March 31, 2016

I need a way for that to calculate today as 3/31 then print the date as April 10, 2016. This is for letters that are like "Today is 3/31, please respond by 4/10" etc
>>
>>53789193
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gsnTvK
>>
Is this Aegis script a good way to stay away from W10 botnet?
>>
>>53789237
ghostVPN is good
>>
What's the best software that is easy to learn and good for editing video/audio?
>>
>>53789040
Is that Good Boy Points?
Or £?
>>
>>53788765
Do you even know what your disk currently is?mbr or gpt?
If it is already gpt then of course the convert to gpt is greyed.

How do you know it didn't work?
>>
File: New Bitmap Image.jpg (171 KB, 1081x719) Image search: [Google]
New Bitmap Image.jpg
171 KB, 1081x719
>>53789424
Partition Wizard tells me it's MBR and I can't extend the partition beyond 2 TB.
>>
>>53789323
Nothing, still over 1500 yurobuck on amazon, is the crucial ssd really that bad?
>>
File: IMG_20160331_012734.jpg (1 MB, 1773x1071) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_012734.jpg
1 MB, 1773x1071
So I tried booting into Arch and got this. Whaddo I do now?
>>
>>53788558
oi, updating didnt work
>>
>>53789542
BX200 is bad, BX100 is good.

The problem is that the 850EVO is that good.

For how much it goes over?
>>
>>53789539
When disk is converted to gpt its partition table is lost.this means it has no partitions so no data.

Well obviously this will not work if the program is run from the same disk doofus.
Boot linux from usb or any other os,then convert to gpt.
>>
>>53789333
There is no W10 botnet you dumb fuck.
>>
>>53789333
You cant get rid of W10 botnet.
Upgrade to 8.1 or 7.
>>
>>53789636
Well...that's just like your opinion man
>>
>>53789571
Install Windows.
>>
>>53789623
So all I have to do is reinstall Windows from an USB instead of a disc?
>>
>>53789661
Yeah, and it's also your opinion that there is one. Now stfu.
>>
>>53789675
Windows setup is very basic in manipulating partitions.
If it is possible, create live usb of either ubuntu or gparted ,boot from it,create gpt partition, then boot windows setup.
>>
>>53786226
Where do you put a txt file for Visual C++. I used the program just fine with Ecliplse by putting the file in the same file the source files are located, but thats not working visual.

What do?
>>
>>53789773
Ooooooooh!

Get a load of this guy...
>>
File: 1448765906479.jpg (256 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1448765906479.jpg
256 KB, 1280x960
Anybody knows any list of SOCKS5 proxy servers (preferably one that can transmit VoIP) with permanent IPs?

My ISP banned Mumble for some reason, and now I cannot use it unless I use a SOCKS5 proxy. Having to look for a working proxy with good latency every time is so tiring, and some days there is no proxy that works.

For some reason, ports (8080, 1080, and 8888) only work.
>>
>>53789826
Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
>>
Not sure if this is the place to ask but what's with the new "sou da ne" button?
>>
Hey lads how do I get past Jewgle Play's region lock? I want to play shitty anime phone games
>>
How can 2 different desktop PCs on the same wired network have 2 grossly different download speeds?

The case in question is my father's and my pc.
his is a shitty pre-built, gets 60+ down, mine struggles to break 10.
my upload speeds are like they should, in the 50s.

>tried unpluggin everything but my ethernet from the mode,/router (this suggested that my cable being double the length of the other one is not a factor
>tried changing ethernet slot
>already in full duplex
>tried updating the lan drivers from my mobo's page (asus h81-plus)
>>
>>53789659
I'll be fine with W7 + Aegis?
>>
File: nas-hdd-front-400x400.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
nas-hdd-front-400x400.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
Sup /sqt/,

Can I use this as a regular HDD? It's for NAS but I'm going with it because they're particularly reliable. 2TB. Can I use it as a regular HDD without any additional cables and such i.e. just a sata data/power cable?
>>
>>53789952
Post pic of front showing connectors.
>>
File: 71j+ppMOldL._SL1500_.jpg (170 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71j+ppMOldL._SL1500_.jpg
170 KB, 1500x1500
>>53789976
Pic related. The pins on the right... what are they for? Nas? For jumpers?
>>
>>53789675
No.

You have to boot a Windows installer from USB or CD in UEFI mode (how depends on your BIOS but it *must* support UEFI booting). Reinstall Windows. It only works with GPT in UEFI mode.

I've done some hackery to convert between BIOS and UEFI installs. Reinstall may not be the only option, but I'd suggest it if it's a fairly fresh install. The hackery goes something like boot up a live Linux CD. Obtain gdisk if you don't already have it on the CD. Use that to delete the System Reserved partition. In the space that was opened up, create an EFI System Partition and an Microsoft Reserved partition of roughly equal sizes. Under expert options, sort partitions since your primary partition was probably 2 and you now have 1 and 3 before it. Make sure partitions are of types EFI System Partition, Microsoft Reserved and Windows/Linux Data. Write changes to disk and gdisk will replace your MBR with a GPT. Wipe the 2 new partitions clean with dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 and dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 (assuming sda1-2 are indeed your EFI System Partition and Microsoft Reserved).

Next step is to make it bootable again. Boot from a Windows installer DVD or USB. Shift+F10 to get a command prompt. Diskpart. Select disk 0. List part. Select part 1 (the EFI System Partition). Format fs=fat32 label="SYSTEM_DRV". List vol and note the letters. Exit. Bcdboot D:\windows (if D was what it showed your main partition as - this does not always match the drive letter when you're booted into it, nor does it need to). Your drive should be bootable again, but partitioned with GPT and bootable in UEFI mode and not BIOS mode.

Disclaimer: Obviously you can completely hose your system if you do this wrong. Your firmware must be UEFI for any of this to work -- only way you're going to use >2TB on a BIOS system is with Linux which can have GPT on BIOS. I haven't tested this MBR=>GPT procedure before posting, but adapted it from my notes on doing GPT=>MBR.
>>
>>53789952
yes you can
>>
>>53790015
It's a normal SATA drive. You can use it though its performance may not be optimal for running an OS or games from, and idk if it will last as long under normal desktop use conditions with frequent power on/off as a desktop HDD since it's designed for an always-on NAS.

The pins are a proprietary serial port that can be used to hack the drive firmware if you know what you're doing.
>>
File: wordDateFormula.png (25 KB, 610x312) Image search: [Google]
wordDateFormula.png
25 KB, 610x312
>>53789298
I found pic related searching online. It works for Delay <= 0 and Delay >= 13, but for any value Delay >= 1 and Delay <= 12, it changes the value of the month to the value of Delay.

I need to calculate 10 days out, so it keeps just changing the month to October. Any idea looking at the formula why that would be?
>>
>>53790055
Damn you're good
>>
How do I make chromium stop using like 4gigs of ram?
I even have the input argument from the wiki in my shortcut
>>
>>53790021
What happens if we simply boot windows in uefi mode,will it not create gpt disk,will it not install?
>>
How do I make a transparent template background in MS Paint?
>>
>>53790083
This code is what's known as a clusterfuck. Can't you just take a date object and add 10 to it?
>>
>>53790099
stop endorsing google products.
>>
>>53790100
If you boot a Windows installer in UEFI mode, wipe the disk and do a fresh install, you will get GPT and a proper UEFI Windows. My long procedure is for converting an existing system without reinstalling it.
>>
>>53789919
halp
>>
File: ST2000VN000-1H3164.png (64 KB, 1203x721) Image search: [Google]
ST2000VN000-1H3164.png
64 KB, 1203x721
>>53790023
>>53790015
I shouldn't really mind that it runs at 5900RPM only right? Read/Write averages are ~130mb/s which is fine. I guess I don't really care as long as they last me a good while. Was going to go with a WD Black but a lot of DOAs desu... also more expensive (it has "two cores" for "performance" or some such term)

My current drive is doing ~60mb/s read/write (it's dying) with ~15000 hours.
>>
>>53789894
This is what you need to do buddy >>53790132
>>
I want to dual boot Kali from a Windows 10 os. But after doing extensive research all of te truth rials are outdated or hard to understand. Could someone please tell me how or point me into the right direction or a article on how to do it. Thanks
>>
>>53790102
You use something other than MS Paint because Paint doesn't support transparency.

>>53790099
getfirefox.com. But really, look at addons. If you're using ABP, drop it and use uBlock. ABP eats a ton of RAM. I have a Chromium with just uBlock in it and its memory usage doesn't go through the roof unless I run complex webapps.

>>53790159
130 MB/s **linear**. You can get high speeds like that on low RPM drives with high capacity and therefore high data density. Where it's going to suck is random reads, like what an OS does most of the time. It would make an excellent media storage drive.
>>
>>53790111
I wish. I don't know why that doesn't exist natively in Word as calculating a set date in the future on a form seems like something that would be pretty fucking common.
>>
>>53790215
I have umatrix instead of ublock, is that what's making the difference?
>>
>>53790055
I'll be using it as a backup/storage device but I'll have a couple of games on it anyway. I never got how games could require that much HDD power. I mean maybe just the initial read/writes they might do to load it. I won't be recording anything.

>>53790215
Thanks again friend. I don't really need to worry about reliability now do I since I will be turning it on/off often? Reliability is basically why I'm getting this... I was going to buy an enterprise-grade WD drive but it being cheaper than a WD black for the same capacity kind of had me worried.
>>
>>53790213
I would recommend a VM
>>
Alright I've been thinking about it for some time now.
What is so wrong about telemetry on W10?
I mean they use it to check what you do daily, how the system behaves, the performance and whatnot and then use that data to improve whatever needs improvement like cortana or other suggestions.

Why is this bad?

Let me refute some arguments out of the gate:
>I want privacy on my computer!
Alright, no third party will be allowed to see what you do, and I can also guarantee that Microsoft probably doesn't give a fuck if you jerk it off to ladyboys. Even then, if you're scared that your illegal activites (if any) will be seen through telemetry, then you should also know that ISPs have been doing this shit since forever so you won't really be safe doing criminal shit if you're on other systems.

>Microsoft is botnet!
Well ok but then you have a gmail account (assuming), you have a phone plan, you pay for internet and have an IP address associated with your internet contract, you have a smartphone etc. I really fail to see why Microsoft would be the worst evil and how they could literally do anything with the data they collect, at least in my case.

I know this is a stupid question, hence why I post this in the thread. I really just want some honest and thought out answers and not just
>MUH BOTNET
>>
>>53786226
On Tuesday, Windows update fucked my computer by enabling a disabled Microsoft Service that conflicts with Windows Explorer. I disabled it along with a bunch of other stuff, but I don't know which service it is. Does anyone know which service is known to fuck with Explorer? Windows 10 Pro btw.
>>
>>53790132
>>53790205
Right, I just need to figure out how to do it.
Since it's not a problem to wipe my HDD for all existing data, should I disregard the information in >>53790021 ?
>>
>>53790225
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012916_Calculating_a_Future_Date.html

>>53790230
uMatrix should be fine. What are you doing in Chromium that's driving the memory use up?

>>53790253
It'll be perfect for backups and at least acceptable for gaming. Games do a lot of random reads as they load assets during loading screens. A slowish drive like this would just make for a bit longer loading screens.

WD Black is great for performance, and is not enterprise grade. You truly do not want an enterprise disk -- they're more sensitive to vibration and shit.

>>53790296
>What is so wrong about telemetry on W10?
I've seen the Win8.1 telemetry that was installed from updates hog a ton of CPU for a long period even when "disabled". I don't care if they collect a bit of telemetry data so long as it's anonymous, but if it's going to drain my battery doing it, I'm kicking it out the door.

>>53790313
Yep, just reinstall in UEFI mode, it's the simplest way.
>>
>>53790296
>>
>>53790332
>Yep, just reinstall in UEFI mode, it's the simplest way.
Okay, I'll give it a try and report back.
>>
>>53790313
Use rufus to make windows setup usb in uefi mode
>>
>>53790332
So I shouldn't get an WD2000F9YZ/WD enterprise drive and instead get a WD2003FZEX/WD Black for $2 more?

I just want reliability man, and these two are my best bet. But the WD Black has been widely reported to making a lot of noise and failing much too soon. Still better than most things out there.
>>
>>53790342
not really sure what this jiff means
>>
Anyone have a guide to extracting an openssl key from a core dump of a linux program that uses libcrypto.so? The program is written in C lang and I don't have the source. Maybe I can get the key from a decompiler?

Need to decrypt udp packets that it's sending out.
>>
>>53789376
That's pounds, I knew someone would say that
>>
>>53790296
>ISPs have been doing this shit since forever so you won't really be safe doing criminal shit if you're on other systems.
We know what the ISPs can and do spy on -- stuff that goes over the wire. We don't necessarily know what all MS spies on from in the OS. It could be pretty much anything. That local search for something personal or confidential? Yep, sent straight to MS, and across the Internet so anyone else spying on that data can see it too. There is no justifiable reason for something I type to search C:\ to leave the computer.

>Well ok but then you have a gmail account (assuming), you have a phone plan, you pay for internet and have an IP address associated with your internet contract, you have a smartphone etc.
These are remote web services that need some data sent out to work right. A local search of data stored locally does not. Nor does anyone outside my home need to know that I opened calculator 5 times at 3 AM and then "tentacle rape hentai.wmv" at 4 AM.
>>
>>53789952

i think these are meant to be always on
>>
Just got a T420 for work, it has a 160GB SSD wich is perfect for work but not for my music collection.

I don't want to deal with installing a HDD right now, what are some good alternatives?

Is there any way to just upload my whole collection and then listen it on my laptop using my workplace wifi?
>>
>>53790510
>"Tentacle rape hentai"
You need help buddy
>>
>>53790410
Enterprises back their shit up and use RAID so when a drive dies, nothing is lost, not even uptime usually. They do however care about being able to serve 11000 database requests instead of 10000. So enterprise drives sacrifice some reliability to gain a bit extra performance. Similarly, data centers are very well cooled and don't get a large amount of vibration, so the drives don't need to be resilient to those things like consumer ones do.

>>53790449
It means with all the privacy settings turned off, look at all these fucking packets flying out to various MS servers.
>>
>>53790593
is it any different with older OS's like win8 or win7?
>>
>>53790553
Google Play Music is the cloud solution.

Alternately buy a large SD card, put your music on that and keep it in your laptop.

There are also caddies to put a second drive in the optical bay if you don't use that much.
>>
>>53790593
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for being here!
>>
File: Elaborate.jpg (245 KB, 1851x818) Image search: [Google]
Elaborate.jpg
245 KB, 1851x818
>>53786226
What the hell are these things in the recent 4chanX update and why do they put moonrune Yeah's on the reply box?
I refuse to believe they actually are
>le upvotes XD
>>
>>53790628
Yes. Searching locally does not generate web traffic. The only packets sent out are things like update checks, internet time syncing, and an HTTP request it makes periodically to a server to see if your connection has internet connectivity. Win8 does somewhat more if you don't disable the privacy settings, but turning all the things off actually provides a more reasonable level of privacy.
>>
>>53789919
H E L P
E
L
P
>>
>>53790706
that's spooky as fuck then.

win7 4 lyfe
>>
>>53790296
you have a right to protect your privacy. However, Microsoft shouldn't be condenmed for this. If you want to protect your privacy simply don't use ms products, or any other company that does the same. That's what I do.

Win10, google services, facebook, Netflix and many others are doing telemetry but they tell you about it. You're making an informed decision.

Is ms "botnet"? yes.
Is it wrong? it depends on your opinion.
Am I being forced to take this shit? absolutely not.
>>
File: dlink500b.jpg (15 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
dlink500b.jpg
15 KB, 400x250
I have here this modem, and it is 8 years old.
Should I replace it?
>D-Link 500B
>>
>>53790371
Me again. In BIOS, I went to Advanced > Boot > CSM and changed it from 'UEFI and Legacy OPROM' to 'UEFI only'. After that I could no longer boot up Windows or reinstall it. I simply ended up back at the BIOS settings after exiting and was forced to revert the changes.

>>53790408
I'll try this when I get my hands on a USB.
>>
>>53789919
sounds like a shitty ethernet card to me buy another
>>
>>53790800
Well I mean, do you need to?
>>
>>53790820
I suspect it's not working fine.
There are strange problems and I don't see another cause.
>>
>>53790800
Where are you?
Do you need to replace it?
Is the modem JUSt a modem, or is it also doing router duty?
>>
>>53790841
Replace it then, yes.
>>
>>53790859
>Where are you?
I'm on another house.

>Do you need to replace it?
See: >>53790841

>Is the modem JUSt a modem, or is it also doing router duty?
Modem only.
>>
>>53790810
To boot in uefi mode the installation media MUST be in uefi mode too,
So use rufus and make a bootable usb in uefi mode
>>
>>53790841
>>53790900

Still where are you (what country?), this makes a difference for what modem would be better to replace it with.

my off the cuff recommendations are:
tp-link 8840T if you're only ever going to be using it for ADSL through ADSL2+ Annex M
old netcomm nb6 or equivilent for above but on a long line (3km+, 2miles+)
tplink TD-W9970 if you are getting VDSL/VDSL2 at some point in the future.
>>
>>53790976
>what country?
It's not safe to reveal this personal information.
>>
>>53790971
Will do.
Haven't used USBs for ages though. Any brands to avoid? This should be my last question for now.
Cheers.
>>
is there any real difference between pro windows 10 and enterprise windows 10 as far as the botnet shit goes
>>
>>53791035
in any case, I've given you my recommendations.

The netcomm nb6 can be swapped out with any broadcom chipset modem - don't use trendchip or the like on long lines, the extra speed they pull on short lines is due to cheap tricks, which usually cause stability problems on long/noisy lines.

If you're Australia, TD-W9970 is now registered for use on NBN, so you can get support if you're an FTTN NBN area.

Have a nice day.
>>
>>53791065
Botnet shit is minimised in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB
>>
>>53790332
Umatrix, https everywhere, chromium updater, and tamper monkey
>>
>>53790811
it worked for 1 year and a half
these problems started after our connection died. they sent a tech at the place in our neighborhood where all the internets come from and he "fixed" it
>>
>>53791044
Don't you have any usb lying around?
If not just buy a good branded one of 8 or 16 gb
>>
>>53791065
(home) - Forced auto updates, phone home/botnet, modern apps (calc, etc), store is present
Pro - phone home/botnet, modern apps (calc, etc), store is present
Enterprise - old apps, no phone home, no store
Education - modern apps, no phone home, store is present
>>
>>53791101
what is ltsb? I'm reading some shit and it looks like it doesn't get any updates?
>>
Is 16GB of ram really a meme? I currently have 8GB and use my PC primarily for gaming and 8GB seems fine. What is the definitive answer?
>>
>>53791165
It's not a meme, some shitposters are upset about it though.
>>
>>53791165
if you're building a new one it's probably a better idea to get 16, but upgrading to it from 8 right now is not really needed
>>
>>53791165
i dunno 2bhfam. i only have 4gigs with a 64bit OS and it's fine 99% of the time
>>
>>53791133
No, unfortunately not.
Going to order an 8 GB Kingston now.
>>
Hey, I have a config.bin file from a router, any advice on how to read it properly?
>>
>>53791044
Major recognizable brands like Sandisk, PNY, Kingston, etc. are all generally good. I've had good luck with Adata as well. Avoid shifty sounding Chinese brands. I've gotten completely dead sticks that way. Also avoid buying anything flash on ebay or from sleazy looking Amazon or Newegg marketplace sellers. There's a bunch of scammers who will take a cheap 2 GB drive, make it tell the computer it's 512 GB and sell it as such. The result is a 512 GB drive that works fine until you exceed that 2 GB of real memory it has and it wraps around corrupting everything -- they know you'll probably give them a positive review before you discover this.

>>53791165
8 GB will be fine for almost all gaming today, and by the time you need 16, prices will have fallen. If 8 is working for you now, stick with it.

People who get 16 GB and more either do it to wave their e-peen around or because they have an actual use for it other than gaming. For instance I put 16 GB in my laptop because I do a lot of VM stuff and it was getting cramped with less. Photoshop or 3D modeling are other valid reasons.
>>
>>53791156
How old are you?
Did you try reading extensively?
>>
>>53791165
It's better to have 8 gigs of faster RAM than 16 gigs of mid-speed.
>>
Heya /g/. What do you guys use for burning flacs/mp3s to CDs? I used to use Burrrrn, but it seems to be completely broken on Windows 10. Is there a program that's considered the gold standard nowadays?

Reposting this because a kind soul told me I should post this here instead of in a new thread.
>>
>>53791313
imgburn
>>
>>53791344
As far as I know, you can't actually burn MP3s with imgburn without a cue file.
>>
>>53791313
Why are you burning CDs in 2016? Put the files on a phone or pmp that takes a MicroSD or has large internal storage and be done. Last time I used my optical drive was when I needed to install Windows on something that didn't want to boot from USB.
>>
>>53791371
Because I am a musician and I am giving them out at one of my shows. The digital release doesn't come out until two weeks later, so this is just a little treat to give to random people as a thank you for the support.
>>
File: animecat.jpg (84 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
animecat.jpg
84 KB, 600x602
i don't understand the infatuation with SSDs and especially M.2 SSDs

i guess if you use a bloated OS with a ton of shitware that's clogging up your PC then they would make sense, but only for boot times

in the realm of reality an SSD is mainly placebo; standard 7200rpm HDDs are only marginally slower

they're a waste of money
>>
>>53791420
Nice touch there, trying to bait out angry Ubuntu users' responses with the bloated OS comment.

7/10 bait, I'll wait for more replies and consider changing the score.
>>
>>53791402
Try Windows Media Player. Add the album to it and right click, add to, burn list.
>>
I dropped a new hard disk, turned off, from a table around 1 meter height to a hard floor. How fucked am I?
>>
>>53791469
I know of a good way to find out.
>>
>>53787792
Yes, definitely worth the upgrade of gpu, your cpu won't bottle neck and you'll gain a ton of gaming performance. 970 3.5gib is pretty cheap
>>
>>53791420
7200 RPM gives you great linear read. Seek and random read is where it really bites you. Sadly this is what OSes do most of the time.

I've got a couple year old Win8.1 install on an SSD. Every Windows install I've seen of this age is slow as hell and takes ages to boot up. This still boots in seconds, not much worse than it was new.

Also when an SSD finally dies, it usually goes read only. You can recover all your data to put on a new drive. Compare to a HDD where it just refuses to spin up or goes tickticktick.
>>
>>53791469
Maybe? Try powering it up and see if it spins and detects, then check detailed SMART.

That you came on here to post that you dropped your HDD instead of testing whether it works suggests that you are pretty fucked though.
>>
>>53791485
I will make a SMART check on it later as the motherboard went out around the same time as the disk for other reasons. What I want to know is were the disk complete the tests correctly, how much can I trust it to hold my data.
>>
>>53791165
The only reason I could see myself upgrading to 16GB is if I wanted to run a higher-pop, modded minecraft server. That shit eats your ram like crazy. past that, 8gb is totally fine
>>
Any good alternatives to ghostery on firefox?
>>
File: DeepinScreenshot20160331144340.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DeepinScreenshot20160331144340.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
i'm on arch linux cinnamon. Now, how do i make it look good?
>>
File: nissin-samurai-in-brazil[1].jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
nissin-samurai-in-brazil[1].jpg
44 KB, 600x400
>>53786226
How to I get a copy of my twitter accounts data archive
>>
>>53791752
anyone? :(
>>
>>53791850
Holy shit, I was typing out some useful tips but then you bumped your question in under 5 minutes.

Fuck off.
>>
>>53791870
well i asked this question yesterday and never got any answers so i'm a little frustraed.
>>
File: IMG_20160331_220114.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_220114.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>53791209
Just did it folks, also got the password for the ISP remote line, time to fuck shit up I guess
Pic related it's the creds for the web interface
>>
>>53791870
>Arch user
>aggressively autistic
what a surprise
>>
>>53791910
how the fuck did you get that
>>
File: 1389820550418.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1389820550418.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
How do I decide which USB stick to buy? I bought a SanDisk and it hasn't disappointed me so far, But I'd like a comparion of larger brands or at least parameters by which I can measure the quality.
>>
How can I force HTTPS on Firefox WITHOUT, W/O, addons?
>>
>>53790647
I'll end adding a HDD for sure since I have little use for the DVD reader, I just don't feel like doing it right now.

Found this but I'm not sure if it is legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-EVO-MICRO-SD-128GB-SDXC-MEMORY-CARD-TARJETA-DE-MEMORIA-WITH-ADAPTER-/222005305567
>>
When using certain tools on Gimp, my computer takes a while to respond. Particularly the heal tool.

I'm using an i5 and 8 gigabytes of ram, would getting a better processor or installing another 8 gigs of ram be the better immediate solution?
>>
>>53791850
Cinnamon has it's own theme library. You really shouldn't try anything from outside because odds are you'll break it.

Right click on the main bar, Themes, Add/Remove desktop themes.
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 504x284) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 504x284
>>53791953
Seems like it's an old ass router ("ZXHN H218N"), people found exploits for it and I basically skid my way thru it
>>
File: install.png (124 KB, 1174x935) Image search: [Google]
install.png
124 KB, 1174x935
How much of this shit do I actually need to install?
>>
>>53792071
No that I see your screenshot you already know this. Well there's not much to do, just pick whatever you like. Cinnamon IS ugly, not much to do there.

MATE has good looks and plenty of customization (MATE Tweak).
>>
File: New Bitmap Image.jpg (83 KB, 371x602) Image search: [Google]
New Bitmap Image.jpg
83 KB, 371x602
MBR-GPT anon here again.
Turns out I actually did have a USB lying around. It has a capacity of 4 GB, but that shouldn't be a problem since Windows only takes up 3.1 GB.

I just wanted to ask if these Rufus settings (see pic) are correct.
>>
>>53792123
What are you missing?

First UPDATE BIOS.
Check for UPDATES ON BIOS GET THE NEWEST ONE.

Then check out what drivers you have and what you don't have from device manager.

You might need Ethernet drivers from there or not for example (check your connection speed, if its lower than it should you have shit drivers and need better one)

You should get Intel Chipset drivers from Intel's own page.
>>
i was having a problem with qbittorrent
it wouldn't find any seeds or anything
somehow, changing "network interface" under options > advanced to "any interface" fixed it even though there was only one other option
/blog
>>
>>53792123
You only need to download chipset and bios from there. Possibly audio.

Download the rest from the manufacture website
>>
How to add srt files in vegas to render them in?
>>
I was just asked the following:

>RESOLUSÃO MONITOR
>Favor verificar a resolução do meu segundo monitor.

How do I respond?
>>
>>53792236
>Downloading chipset drivers from motherboard manufacturer site and not from the chipset provider
Don't do this.

Get it from Intel or AMD site.
>>
In the market for a new 3,5 external hard drive. Are 3TB drives safe? What's the best brand/model?
>>
>>53792294
In Portuguese
>>
>>53792350
Hitachi and Intel.
>>
>>53792383
Intel makes external hard drives now?
>>
File: External-Hard-Drive1.jpg (11 KB, 306x321) Image search: [Google]
External-Hard-Drive1.jpg
11 KB, 306x321
>>53792388
Yes
>>
where can i code small websites for money?
>>
>>53778217
I'm trying to find out what my sis-in-law's "gaming" prebuilt has for power, so I know what GPU to suggest her to upgrade to. She's currently running an i7 and a 760. If she has 500+w, I'm going to suggest an R9 390. If less, a 970
>>
>>53792428
Huh, cool. So you wouldn't suggest WD? I have always used those for my externals.
>>
>>53792388
literally any hard drive / ssd ever + a case = external hard drive
>>
So yeah i want to uninstall ghostery in ff now but should i replace it with privacy badger, uMatrix or both of those?
>>
File: hub[1].jpg (13 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
hub[1].jpg
13 KB, 300x199
Let's say I have a copper cable which provides an Internet source and two other cables which are supposed to go to computers which should be connected to the Internet.
In order to connect these two computers to the Internet, should I just get a hub, and insert all the three cables (the Internet cable and the two computer cables) into the hub's ports?
>>
>>53792388
>buy any hard drive
>buy docking station
>???
>profit
>>
Is an old Gateway lcd Monitor(19" 1440x900 16:10) worth keeping around?

Selling it for $20 seems pointless and rather give it away.
>>
How do I steal wifi? WPA-PSK security if that helps.
>>
>>53792518
Just use it for some random shit like keeping stream open or somethign dude
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.