[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a coder / C++ codemonkey is it worth learning to EE / solder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 852x573) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 852x573
As a coder / C++ codemonkey is it worth learning to EE / solder shit?

I know a guy that went to an ivy league school and for his senior project he couldnt even make a basic universal remote, he was that pathetic. Is it really that hard to do basic shit or was he just a complete retard?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (196 KB, 550x676) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
196 KB, 550x676
>>53769907
>electrical engineering = solder shit
>>
>>53769949
buttblasted EE detected
>>
>>53769907
I learned to solder when I was 12.
A monkey could learn it by the age of 4.

Electrical engineering is a cut above my pay grade, but its something you could figure out given enough time and effort.
>>
>>53769907
>"I'm in software guy, should I learn hardware"

Fuck no
>>
>>53770042
I hear that hardware is the other side of the coin, esp with 3d printers
>>
>>53770071
There is basically endless shit in software to know. You are better off learning a new facet of software
>>
>>53770092
Ive been writing c++ for 5 years, not knowing any hardware seems to be theoretically holding me back
>>
>>53770172
You only know C++? Are you a college or job fag or high school fag?
>>
>>53770271
I know other languages, but imo C++ is the only language worth using
>>
>>53770351
High school fag confirmed
>>
File: 83d840f6_Argument-pyramid.jpg (50 KB, 679x516) Image search: [Google]
83d840f6_Argument-pyramid.jpg
50 KB, 679x516
>>53770392
>>
>>53770437
But he's right.

If you think C++ is the only language worth using, you know fuck all about software and programming in general.

Not to mention that any robust, substantial projects always require more than one language.
>>
>>53770889
>If you think C++ is the only language worth using, you know fuck all about software and programming in general.
name another language worth using thats not C/C++
>>
>>53769907
Saying soldering is electrifcal engineering is like saying building a PC is computer science.

But understanding the 'higher level' parts of EE makes you a better programmer/developer imo.
>>
>>53771100
Except even as an EE you won't get a job soldering shit
>>
>>53770172
>not knowing any hardware seems to be theoretically holding me back
You are stupid.
What you need to learn about is LOW LEVEL programming , not learning how to design electric circuits or solder shit you fucking dipshit.
If you came up with the conclusion that learning how to solder shit or how MOSFET transistors works will help you improve your programming skills is that you are fucking stupid.
Learn about the different ways to represent numbers on computers , endianess , study various architectures ( x86 , 68k , ARM , etc..) and learn ASM and study the instruction sets.

Not like you can even do that because it's obvious that you are stupid.
>>
>>53770957
I was going to mention C, and you're yet again proving your lack of knowledge by amalgamating them together with "C/C++".

They're two completely different languages, and you literally just disproved yourself.
>>
File: ladderGame.jpg (161 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ladderGame.jpg
161 KB, 1024x768
>>53771187
Theoretically I can just buy the smallest raspPi, code in C/C++ and write simple but efficient drivers for hardware that i attach to a breadboard
>>
>>53769907
I just had an interviewer ask me if I had any experience with EE / circuit boards stuff. Apparently there's a market for good coders who can also solder, and I imagine it pays well.
>>
>>53771242
>Can't give a good answer
>Resorts to personal attacks
>>
>>53771173
Why would you even want a job soldering shit? Its boring, unhealthy in the long run and mostly done by machines already.
Its a neat skill for prototyping or fixing stuff but thats pretty much it.

OP just needs to learn basics about micropocessors, code, maybe some (digital)circutry and signals, that will give him a decent amount of low level knowledge.
And low level programming obviously.
>>
>>53771242
/arg
>>
if you want to understand how processors work at the lowest level you should learn digital logic.

you don't need to be an electrical engineer unless you want to design them from scratch in which case you need to understand much more about how digital signals aren't actually digital and shit like that.
>>
>>53770957
>>53771242

Not mention, if you use C or C++ for GUI or web development, you're retarded.

>hurr durr web development is for

You're posting on a website that you frequently visit as we speak.

>>53771279
>personal attacks

Aww bro. If you think personal attacks are in there, you must be sensitive.

Also:
>your first post: C++ is the only language worth using
>your second post: name another language worth using other than C or C++
>C
>or C++

I don't even have to embarrass you. You've taken care of that.
>>
File: 1454341982844.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1454341982844.png
356 KB, 572x380
>>53771336
>web development,
post discarded
>>
>>53771379

I even predicted it and you said it anyway.

You're posting on a website. If you think web development is a useless endeavour, get the fuck off? Lol.

That's like saying, "Coffee manufacture is for plebs and it achieves nothing" while sitting in a café with a cappuccino.
>>
>>53771309
>Why would you even want a job soldering shit?
That wasn't the point!!!
>>
>>53769907
It won't make you any less of a codemonkey, but it's still a nice knowing how to do at least a basic soldering.
>>
>>53771459
soldering parts and writing small drivers makes you not a code monkey at all
>>
If you want to dive into embedded / hardware development, do it in a way that makes sense.

You could start by making a embedded platform where you write drivers for things.

Then you learn pick up an FPGA and a book on VHDL and then make more hardware oriented drivers.

If you were smart, you'd pick up an FPGA with a CPU on board and then combine C++ on the CPU with VHDL on the logic.

When you have done these things, you should learn to make analog circuits, solder them to a board you interface with your fpga which interfaces to the CPU.

When you have done that, you should try to interface your analog boards to laptop or something which doesn't have all the external ports you had on the other platform.

Learning to solder is a single lecture and some experience. A lot of people can solder and they still don't know anything about hardware.
>>
>>53771503
thanks nigga
>>
>>53771242
>ahaha C/C++ is a totally wrong term even though it's meant to indicate the two languages rather than to imply they're a single one ahahah
>>
>>53769907
I've never soldered a single thing in my life. Nobody in my family or friend circle has either. How do I get started?
>>
>>53771939
Get a soldering iron.
>>
>>53770071
>I hear that hardware is the other side of the coin

You hear? You heard hardware is the other side of the coin? What did you think was on the other side of the software coin before you heard it?
>>
>>53771958
What other tools will I need?
>>
>>53771826
Backpedaling even more; and in doing so proving that you backpedaled from "C++ is the only language worth using" to "C and C++ are the only languages worth using".

What's next? C/C++/Java/Assembly/Hebrew? Lol gg faggot, now stop texting in your English class.
>>
>>53771990
I'm not even the guy you were arguing, that was my first post in the thread, but believe in what you choose
>>
>>53771973
solder
>>
>>53771336
>>your first post: C++ is the only language worth using
>>your second post: name another language worth using other than C or C++
>>C
>>or C++
None of those were me.

>I don't even have to embarrass you. You've taken care of that.
Still no arguments and just personal attacks.
>>
Surface mount soldering might have been his Achilles heel, I know it's mine. I don't have stable enough hands for it, and making a universal remote usually needs that. Otherwise, just use a breadboard or perfboard.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>53772215
>>53772433
K
>>
>>53770351
how old are you. this is so fucking wrong it hurts
>>
>>53772786
>>
>>53772962
That's even sadder
>>
>>53769907
a universal remote is already a complicated thin
memory, infrared sensor, a load of ics, physical buttons, power source, osci for pulse creation and since you want it small you also have to design pcb
another thing is that you calculate resistors and transistors even your power source eventually plan security circuits to prevent you shit from dying
basic soldering itself is rather easy beside smd soldering which a bit tricky
>>
>>53773065
you never answered the question as to why the opinion is sad other than "muh webdev"
>>
>>53775341
And GUI.
And scripting.
And embedded, C is still superior.
And including web development, which can be approached a multitude of ways ten times better than C++. If you criticise web development but still use the internet, digital communication or any kind of client, you're a fucking idiot.

I don't understand why you expect anything anyway, you made a grandiose claim and several people disagreed with you. Then you get BTFO. And the whole time, you haven't once made any valid points yourself as to why C++ is this magical one language army. Care to pull one out of your ass?

If you really are 30, I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>53775454
>And GUI.
anything graphical / displayed to user is opengl which is c++

>And scripting.
get a better compiler

>And embedded, C is still superior.
you can use c++ on any pi

>And including web development, which can be approached a multitude of ways ten times better than C++. If you criticise web development but still use the internet, digital communication or any kind of client, you're a fucking idiot.
why are you sensitive on this area?

>If you really are 30, I feel sorry for you.
I have a great life, expert at c++, and have my health. You're just some negative "muh webdev"
>>
>>53770889
>>53770957
I always support right tool for the Job.

Sometimes C/C++ is best, sometimes java.

Nowdays most often interpreted languages such as Python/Ruby (fuck js I try to avoid it if possible), Scalar, MATLAB are useful as computers are very fast and unless you're doing some serious computation they will increase productivity by a large margin
>>
>>53775627
>why are you sensitive on this area?

Not sensitive. Just find it hilarious that there are snobs that sit on the internet bashing web dev. Really is quite a spectacle that you don't see the throbbing hypocrisy. I'm not even a web developer.

Also, you didn't make any valid points, you just obtusely claimed that C++ can do all of those things effectively, which it can't.

You're still BTFO and damage control isn't helping, bub.
>>
>>53776115
you've been ruining my thread for hours for no reason. Grow up kid
>>
>>53769949
You're right. Most of them cant even do that.
>>
File: 1458188416314.jpg (54 KB, 465x604) Image search: [Google]
1458188416314.jpg
54 KB, 465x604
>>53776189
>kid
>>
>>53769907
It's nice for hobby projects.
>>
EE here,

For most cases it's more about concepts than it is about soldering. If you're only planning on learning Electrical Engineering concepts to improve your (PC) software your time may be better served somewhere else. If you're planning on using that knowledge to improve your knowledge in Embedded Systems/Digital Logic Design/Control Systems & Applications then go for it.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.